News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GAS  (Read 10768 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GAS
« on: June 02, 2009, 12:35:37 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were a gas, and now it is time for you to post until the gaseous gasbag cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: GAS
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:36:21 AM »

And the word of the day is: PURLICUE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:16:16 AM »

I don't remember if this has been a Topic of the Day topic, but with me helping my sister move (hopefully for the last time), I was thinking...what was your worst moving experience and what was your easiest?  How far did you move?  What's the farthest (furthest?) anyone has moved? 

How's that? :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:55:01 AM »

My farthest move was from Los Angeles to Connecticut when I was in third grade.

DAW

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 01:55:45 AM »

In my more recent adult life, I have moved quite a few times.

It is always completely hellish.    :)

DAW

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 01:58:08 AM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 04:39:43 AM »

Good morning, all! The bass part to go and then a day typing up all of my edits.

BK, I wasn't apathetic about yesterday's topic. I had nothing to report, not that I was unwlling, but romance and I are strangers. I haven't necessarily wanted to be single for the past 30 years. It wasn't to be and I say this with no self pity.

I do like DR George's proposed topic today. I've had two grisly moves, one from Oxford OH and grad school to Pennsylvania to a teaching job was I pressured into taking and the various moves about New York before I found an apartment. I'll write about the move in 1971 and save the New York stories for the next tiem the topic comes up.

In 1970, after grad school, I worked at Miami University on the library staff. I had a nice second-floor apartment on High Street, which became the place for any of my friends to stop by whenever they left the campus and went into town. My academic seniors, mainly the theatre dept faculty, kept pressuring me to find a "real" job, meaning a teaching position and I finally accepted one that was handed to me, I had to be in Pennsylvania by Sept 1, 1971.  Around 11 am, early in August, a friend came into the Miami U library and told me the building at the end of my block was on fire; it had started in the basement dry cleaning business and was quickly taking the building down.

On the advice of my fellow staff members,  I ran uptown, parked my car in front of my building and started evacuating. I also called my mother, who told me she and my brother Randy would be over to help me clear out what I could. Since it was about a 40-minute drive, I started carrying priorities - manuscripts of music, books and records mostly - down to my car and dumping it in the trunk. By the time my mother arrived, High Street was closed off, more fire departments were arriving, and my building was closed by the Oxford fire dept.

For the next several hours, my mother, Randy and I stood in a crowd about 2 blocks from the fire and watched a building collapse, killing a couple of firemen, and watched the various fire departments' attempts to put out the fire in the building next to mine. Around 4 pm, the fire was under control, my apartment building was condemned and no one could enter it, I had only what I had removed from it, none of it clothing, and I had no place to live. So I moved home to Middletown and drove back to Oxford every morning. My days were a mess of attempts to get into the building to empty it by Aug. 15 and giving up a job I really liked for a move to an unkown experience I was dreading. I must have at some point purchased new clothes, but I have no memory of it.

When I was finally allowed back into the building, it was a Saturday morning and I was accompanied by the fire marshall. I removed everything I wanted to keep and left the rest for the landlord to remove. All my clothes were smoke damaged and needed dry cleaning. A lot of it was tossed when the dry cleaning was returned, I rented a U-haul truck, packed it and moved to Chambersburg, PA, for a disastrous year of academia. I remember being stopped by a cop for driving the wrong way down a one-way street during my apartment search in Chambersburg, I remember that the Pennsylvania turnpike is endless and always provides its drivers with rain or other precipitation, if not fog as well, and I remember how lonely I was away from friends and family for the first couple of months. What I learned in Pennsylvania was that one tiny second-rate college theatre program is much like the other and that leaving Oxford OH for a job in the "real" world was only moving from one hornet's nest to another.

In retrospect, I should never have taken the job, but I would not be the person I am today if I had stayed on the library staff. God alone knows what I would be doing today instead of editing THE MOST HAPPY FELLA and writing these notes to you DRs.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 05:05:25 AM »

I  have not. luckily, moved much in my adult life. I moved three times when I was a child. I moved from home into a dorm when I went to school and I moved from a dorm to a house after college. I never had many possessions so moving wasn't difficult. The big move came when I landed here in New York. I drove with a friend in his car to 14th Street between 8th and 9th Avenue where I stayed for about a month, then moved to my first apartment on the Upper West Side. I went on the road for a while with Sesame Street Live, came back to New York, sublet a friend's place on the East Side, got a roommate situation on the far West Side of midtown and then moved into my current location where I have been for 26 years. They will move me out of here feet first (as they say).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 05:47:22 AM »

La de DAh dee da da!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 05:47:35 AM »

Still contemplating the Blu Ray situation.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 05:54:20 AM »

A photo from last night's rehearsal, which went along fairly well.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 06:00:26 AM »

And the word of the day is: PURLICUE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  I'M GONNA SIT RIGHT DOWN AND WRITE MYSELF A LETTER

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 06:01:49 AM »

Or as it's known in the 21st century:

I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself An Email

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 06:02:13 AM »

DR MATTH have you had to update your firmware?  On the Blu Ray, that is.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 06:29:10 AM »

PURLICUE:  the line that formed outside the boxoffice of the Broadway Theatre in 1970.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 06:31:12 AM »

Good Morning all.   

"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 06:32:38 AM »

Purlicue - how an oyster does her hair when she is going out on a date.

Laura

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 06:34:16 AM »

Happy Freedom Day (observed) to everyone!

Freedom Day is a holiday I made up. Everyone should have a holiday of one's own invention.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 06:38:50 AM »

I spent last night seated in front of my computer monitor grooving to a live concert broadcast by the Dave Matthews Band.  It was a somewhat frustrating experience because the image would vary between crystal clear high definition and low resolution with a lot of pixilization.  And of course, I didn't realize until the concert was over two-thirds over that it was also being shown on the Fuse cable network which is carried by my cable company.  But the sound was terrific.  Also there was a perverse fascination in watching lead singer Dave Matthews continue to push his way through the encore though his vocal cords had given out an hour earlier.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 06:46:41 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  It's warm and humid today in SW Ohio and I'm off to Dayton for 2 meetings with the grantwriters.  The mood should be interesting, because it was announced this morning that NCR is moving their world headquarters to Duluth, Georgia, creating a loss of 1000+ jobs in Dayton.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 06:50:52 AM »

I shall celebrate the newly founded Freedom Day - by buying some new garters for Lois Lane.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 06:51:26 AM »

World Headquarters should never be in Georgia.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 07:22:46 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I think today shall be my haircut day.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 07:36:31 AM »

Yes, I've had to update the firmware on both the PS3 and on the Samsung. Until I got them hooked up to the internet, though, it was a very simple matter of downloading the update file on a flash drive (thumb drive?), plugging that into the player, and it would update automatically. Now that I'm looked up to the internet, it lets me know when there is an update and downloads it if I tell it to. Downloading updates to the PS3 always takes longer than the Samsung updates.

Most people don't even bother looking for an update until they run into a disc that their player struggles to handle. (The copy protection on Blu-rays is so fierce and the internet capabilities on some discs are so thick that the Blu-ray players have to actually be computers to manage all of the code, and that's why firmware updates are sometimes necessary.)

The only disc my Samsung ever had trouble with was the Blu-ray of FOR YOUR EYES ONLY. I downloaded the latest firmware, and it played it without missing a beat. The PS3 has never stumbled on any disc I've ever fed it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 07:37:09 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Being a Coast Guard Brat... Boston to Arlington, VA/Washington, DC, to Port Angeles, WA, to Seattle, WA, to Gales Ferry, CT, to Arlington, VA... -All in the first 11 years of my life.  And, actually, since my Dad was stationed in Washington, DC, for six the first time, those remaining moves all took place in the span of five and a half years. Whew!

My major moves as an adult haven't been too hellish. However, some of the smaller, temporary moves for gigs have had their share of stress and strain.  It's always amazing just how much stuff one - well, I can "gather" over the course of six to eight weeks - sometimes even just three weeks... And then to find some way to pack all of that new stuff back into my luggage and/or car.

*And driving along I-64 in Virginia through the mountains and in the fog with a car filled to the brim with one's personal belongings during the wee hours of the morning is so not fun.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 07:37:55 AM »

HAPPY FREEDOM DAY!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 07:39:40 AM »

Good morning!

We didn't quite get up to 90 yesterday (88), but 90 is in the forecast today, and it already feels like it's almost there. I may have to flip on the AC tonight. No letup in temperatures until Thursday or Friday when rain is forecast.

td

• td
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 07:42:31 AM »

If I were to sit right down and write myself a letter, via email, I would have to send it to MinxtheDog@comcast.net which is my new email address as of one hour ago.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 07:45:32 AM »

My easiest move as an adult was into my first apartment because I had very little in the way of furniture. In fact, I moved everything I had in my car and in my brother's pick-up truck. It was basically a bed, a chest of drawers, some shelf units, a couple of chairs and a small round table, and a TV and stereo.

I stayed in that one bedroom apartment for two years during which time I accumulated a long sofa, an office desk, a bureau, a portable washer and dryer, some bedside tables, and a piano among the major big objects.

When the time came to move into a two bedroom apartment, it took several trips across the apartment complex where I stayed to accommodate all that I had gathered.

Of course, the biggest move was to the house where I have been for 27 years this month! Like DR Ben, I have no present plans to ever budge from this spot.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 07:45:40 AM »

Sorry to butt in, but I have, JR, on several machines.  It's not hard--you either do it via the internet or you just order a CD or DVD with the update from the manufacturer (which is free).  It's all fairly automatic once you choose the "Upgrade firmware" option, which is usually in Settings.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up