Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THERE'S A RAINBOW 'ROUND MY SHOULDER  (Read 11509 times)

DAW

Re: THERE'S A RAINBOW 'ROUND MY SHOULDER
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2009, 08:07:09 AM »

TOD:

I can't remember what year we first got Internet access.  We never went the AOL route, but had had a cheap, free email service for some years.  I do remember, just prior to finally getting connected to the Internet, that I went through the Arts and Leisure section of the Sunday New York Times, making lists from the ads of all the sites I wanted to visit when we got connected.

My first ebay auction [and WIN!] was a VHS copy of Sondheim's Evening Primrose.  Highly bootleg illegal.

DAW

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 08:07:42 AM »

I am trying to decide if you were replying to Cilla or Matt!

;D  ;D

I was thinking the same thing.    :)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 08:08:38 AM »

I didn't eat very much all day. Mostly some fruit I had in the room from the farmer's market on Wednesday.  Last night at the cocktail party they had a fruit and cheese table and some marinated vegetables to much on and some really good breads.

Dinner started with a nice spinach salad with oranges and I can't exacxtly remember the dressing.  Then dinner was a grilled chicken breast and a small steak - both very moist and delicious.  Mashed Sweet potatoes and a little squash.  Gelato for dessert.  I didn't take photos.

I did stop and get a little pineapple sorbet on the way back to the room. 
I'm glad you had one good splurge while you were there!

I have never seen BENT....onstage.  I saw a bit of the movie, but didn't get to see it from the beginning, so I didn't watch it all.

I played Greta in the only production of BENT which has been done in Charlotte. It was a wonderful production, and I was very proud of the theater that put it on to take a chance with it. We had full houses; the gay community really came out to see it.

Greta sings "Streets of Berlin" during the show (the music for the song is completely different in the movie), and the costume designer had me in a Marlene Dietrich-like wig and white satin dress and spiked heels. This was my favorite moment in the show. I had an accordian accompanying me, I was in a spotlight, and I truly felt like a star. It's just for that song and one scene; Greta's role is small, but it made a profound impression on me.

Incidentially, it's the only time I've ever donned drag either on or off stage.

[/quote]
I'm glad you had one good splurge while you were there!

I am trying to decide if you were replying to Cilla or Matt!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:11:45 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 08:10:17 AM »

Hmmm - however did David quote me before I posted?

mysterious!

;)

DAW

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 08:10:43 AM »

And I now have the dubious and somewhat amazing distinction of having quoted DR vixmom before she posted it.    ;)

DAW

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 08:11:10 AM »

Oh dear.

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2009, 08:12:09 AM »

TOD - I first used the internet at work (Miami University) as an adjunct faculty member in the teacher education department, a job I started in the fall of 1994.  It was all text-based, so I used email and some discussion groups.  It was during my 3 years in that job that the WWW became part of our lives and I was able to get a lot of in-service training from the University.  I remember designing a lesson for aspiring teachers, where I asked them to find 3 sites for fun, 2 sites that would be useful in their teaching, and 1 site that they wouldn't want their students to find by accident.  They found some doozies.  It was all so new then...

We connected here at home in late 1996 or early 1997, first using a local ISP called Infinet, then transitioning to Road Runner (Time Warner).  I remember comparing the planning of our 1996 driving vacation out west (pre-Internet) to the planning of our 1999 driving vacation to the east coast (post-Internet).  Totally different experiences!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2009, 08:12:12 AM »

And I now have the dubious and somewhat amazing distinction of having quoted DR vixmom before she posted it.    ;)

You are a man of many talents!!!

DAW

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2009, 08:13:27 AM »

My training regimen called for a series of shorter jogging intervals this morning which crazily enough was harder for me than the longer intervals I've been doing lately.

DAW

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2009, 08:14:48 AM »

DR Ginny - loved your account of the traning development.  How imaginative!   :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2009, 08:16:07 AM »

I'm up.  As per the last few days, it's very gray out. 

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2009, 08:16:30 AM »

I was eBay-shy for a long time, but 3 years ago decided that I had to have some accessory pieces for some of my Vera Bradley bags in fabrics that had been discontinued.  Every retailer I went to said, "Try eBay," so I did.  This is one of the pieces I got:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DAW

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2009, 08:17:46 AM »

I have been watching the DVD compilation of the best of Garry Shandling's "The Larry Sanders Show" and enjoying it immensely.  I never subscribed to HBO, so never saw the show when it originally aired.  In the very last episode, Jim Carrey does an over-the-top take on "And I Am Telling You" from Dreamgirls.    :D

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2009, 08:17:48 AM »

Now, I "shop" for discontinued Vera items on Facebook in the Vera Bradley Sales Discussion group.

vixmom

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2009, 08:18:03 AM »

Last nights WELCA dinner show went very well despite the Vixter having been sent home from school witha raging headache and terribly sore throat - she called me from school asking if she could come home and being a person who knows what is importnat  and what is not replied - "of course! You have a show tonight!"  So Vixnana (aka Vixmomsmom) collected her from school and the Vioxter did the salt water gargle, took a  long nap and a long hot shower and by 7 PM  she performed like a trouper!!

She even hit all the high notes in Seasons of Love

Her performanace of Taylor the Latte Boy was the hit of the night (said the mother modestly and with no bias whatsoever)

;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:19:47 AM by vixmom »

DAW

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2009, 08:20:11 AM »

How great for DR the vixter!!!!!    :D

I'm glad that the school doesn't have the policy that ours had - i.e., if you were not in school for the whole day, you could not participate in any after-school events, including team sports, music, and theatre!

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2009, 08:20:49 AM »

TOD - I first used the internet at work (Miami University) as an adjunct faculty member in the teacher education department, a job I started in the fall of 1994.  It was all text-based, so I used email and some discussion groups.  It was during my 3 years in that job that the WWW became part of our lives and I was able to get a lot of in-service training from the University.  I remember designing a lesson for aspiring teachers, where I asked them to find 3 sites for fun, 2 sites that would be useful in their teaching, and 1 site that they wouldn't want their students to find by accident.  They found some doozies.  It was all so new then...

We connected here at home in late 1996 or early 1997, first using a local ISP called Infinet, then transitioning to Road Runner (Time Warner).  I remember comparing the planning of our 1996 driving vacation out west (pre-Internet) to the planning of our 1999 driving vacation to the east coast (post-Internet).  Totally different experiences!

That sounds so interesting!  Why did you give up teaching college?

DAW

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2009, 08:20:56 AM »

Almost forgot - thanks to DR Michael S. for his theatre reportage!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2009, 08:21:05 AM »

I guess I'll do a few maintenance things on the computer and then head downstairs to check the mail and then get started on fixing some lunch.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2009, 08:21:32 AM »

Congratulations to The Vixter!  Do we have video of her performance?  How does she feel today?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2009, 08:21:47 AM »

We've done the Internet thing before, but not the first site visited - but I always love these stories so keep 'em coming.  The first time I really got on the Internet was, I think, either the very end of 1997 or the very end of 1998, when I was given Web TV for Christmas (I didn't have a computer, and wouldn't get one until 2000).  The Web TV booklet had a couple of recommended sites, including their version of Usenet.  I was up until five in the morning and, of course, found eBay immediately.  Trying to bid in those pre-snipe days was pretty frustrating with dial-up and with eBay's totally amateurish programming and frequent crashes.  I lost as much as I won.  I believe the first item I ever won from eBay was a Pez machine of some vintage - from a gal in Culver City - I even drove down and picked it up in person.  I believe the second item I won was a little Buddha, which the description told me was very good luck.  How I even found such a thing I'll never know, but it still sits on my piano.

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2009, 08:23:11 AM »

Congrats to the Vixter!

DAW

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2009, 08:23:15 AM »

but it still sits on my piano.

And do you rub its belly every time you walk by?   :)

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2009, 08:23:44 AM »

How great for DR the vixter!!!!!    :D

I'm glad that the school doesn't have the policy that ours had - i.e., if you were not in school for the whole day, you could not participate in any after-school events, including team sports, music, and theatre!

The WELCA dinner was at our church so the school had no jurisdiction! 

She had performed at the school's Spring Concert  on Thursday night and  had been rehearsing hard for both shows all week as well as church choir rehearsals - that combined with her pollen allergies and several late nights are what I think contributed to her condition on Friday morning -

last night she went right to bed as soon as we came home but this morning she seems fine again

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2009, 08:24:04 AM »

DAW has been one of the Kritzerland guinea pigs (the other was JMK, for the first go-round) - he's been very thorough and very helpful and has just sent a few more nitpicky things which I've forwarded to Doug, and who will, I'm sure, implement them.  The only thing that won't really work for another couple weeks are the pages for my books, which I think have to be created anew - Doug knows about it, but he's let a lot of other projects slide and he has to prepare the booklet for our next release, so those won't be up until the very end of the month.

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2009, 08:25:37 AM »

Well it is after eleven  _ I suppose I should get out of my pj's and start to be a productive memebr of society

DAW

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2009, 08:26:18 AM »

Happy to help.  And nice to feel useful, since I'm not working at the moment.    :)

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2009, 08:26:18 AM »

That sounds so interesting!  Why did you give up teaching college?

No future for adjuncts - the dirty secret of academia.  I taught on a semester-to-semester basis, few fringe benefits, no raise for 10 years, etc.  Met my needs when I was trying to be a mostly stay-at-home Mom, but eventually I needed a real job, so went back to library work when Rob finished elementary school.  Now, I'd teach again in a minute, if anybody asked.

vixmom

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »

DAW has been one of the Kritzerland guinea pigs (the other was JMK, for the first go-round) - he's been very thorough and very helpful and has just sent a few more nitpicky things which I've forwarded to Doug, and who will, I'm sure, implement them. 

as I said a man of many talents!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2009, 08:28:18 AM »

Last night the most amazing part of the program was watching Jean Francois Detaille paint.  He doesn't this fast painting with loud music and it was fun watching him.  When he took a bow it was like "OK, that was clever" Then he flipped the painting over and this is what it was
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up