Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MORSE CODE NOTES  (Read 39448 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE MORSE CODE NOTES
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2004, 04:01:25 PM »

In the good news/bad news category.  When I opened the supply shed, there was my frog prince.  Unfortunately, he was not alone.  It seems he has decided not to wait for me to kiss him and has himself a lady.  I can see he is a leg man because she had the prettiest pair of frog legs I’ve ever seen.  

I’m quite crushed, as you might imagine, but what could I do?  I simply closed the door and left them alone.   Sigh.   I guess I could say I’m green with envy but that would make me sound like a bitter old spinster.   ;)
Would you like me to locate a recipe?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2004, 04:07:22 PM »

Thank you, Robin.  Well, we're on page three at least.  I'll keep the chat short tonight and maybe then we can get some posts going.  Even though I've predicted it before on many occasions and it hasn't come to pass, I don't really see any way we won't be achieving our new low this very evening.  Too bad, but ultimately who cares.  Nothing wrong with sixty-three posts when they're cherce.  It just makes us like every other website on the weekend.

New column at The DVD Place (http://dvds.allaccessworld.com)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2004, 04:10:43 PM »

I don't think that clever lyrics or complex songs (and musicals) are necessarily emotionless songs (and musicals). ....Maybe it was the mood I was in - but I only saw INTO THE WOODS once - and at a dinner theater at that - but I was blubbering like a baby. Sondheim brings out all sorts of emotions in me.

Danise

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2004, 04:13:51 PM »

Would you like me to locate a recipe?

For what?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2004, 04:16:25 PM »

I would just like to say how much I'm enjoying this discussion about the presence of romanticism and emotion in Sondheim's lyrics.  I think that Sondheim's lyrics are some of the most touching and poetic out there and, in my limited experience, those elements usualy coincide with beauty, emotion, and romance.  I don't find his work to be the least bit cold, with the exception of a few songs in "Bounce", maybe.  Most all of his shows have moments when the lyrics move me to tears..."With So Little To Be Sure Of" is one of them!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 04:18:00 PM by Jenny »
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Panni

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2004, 04:18:55 PM »

DAWN OF THE DEAD has finally knocked Gibson's PASSION from its #1 spot in the US Box Office. The zombies have triumphed over Jesus.
Has a lot to say about many things.

The darling daughter has just returned from Hungary. She  says that even though there is poverty there, it's nothing like the  homelessness she sees in San Francisco. In the wealthiest country in the world. What's wrong with this picture?
On the good side, for our country... she was shocked by the overt racist policies against the Romas (Gypsies in my day) in Hungary. Newspaper ads for apartments state "no Romas need apply." At least we're a little beyond that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 04:25:17 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2004, 04:27:56 PM »

On Fox Classic Movies right now is a movie entitled The Cape Town Affair which is, apparently, a scene for scene remake of Mr. Sam Fuller's Pickup on South Street, with James Brolin as Richard Widmark, Claire Trevor as Thelma Ritter, etc.  It's directed by the awful Robert D. Webb and it looks awful.  Why do they do these sorts of things?

Panni

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2004, 04:35:31 PM »

I had a very unproductive day as far as writing goes. Cleaned out the closet and will probably do some more house cleaning, but the writing work has been teeny-tiny today. Really hate myself when that happens. That’s not just an expression. I really do loathe myself when I don't do the writing I should. I found myself swearing at me in very unladylike language. Should learn to be kinder, but I'm a very unforgiving taskmaster and the road to self-flagellation is a short one.
(Is that a Hope-Crosby film? The Road to Self-Flagellation)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2004, 04:40:39 PM »

I had a hunch Noel would be the one disparaging Sondheim; he'd be inconsistant if he didn't.

What ties Sondheim to Hammerstein, and not to Hart, isn't the mentor/student relationship they had.  It has more to do with writing for character, which was a trait of Hammerstein's.  Hart's lyrics are generalized, not set for any particular characters.  Hammerstein, on the other hand, wrote for the characters in his plays (let's not forget that he is also one of the greatest bookwriters the musical has ever known).  

The King and I, in particular, is filled with character songs, pieces that could not be sung by any other character in that show.  Anna's songs ("I Whistle a Happy Tune," "Getting to Know You," "Shall We Dance" and particularly "Hello, Young Lovers") are all consistant in their point of view, that of a woman who has known sadness yet refuses to desert her basic optimism.  She could never have sung "Something Wonderful," which is rightfully Lady Thiang's song, explaining a relationship Anna has yet to understand.  Similarly, "My Lord and Master" and "We Kiss in a Shadow" belong to Tuptim; the emotions in those songs are not those felt by any of the other characters.

Sondheim carries this connection to character even further.  In Anyone Can Whistle, the title song is clearly Fay's; no one else is in that quandry of being unable to connect.  "Everybody Says Don't" is in turn clearly Hapgood's song, even while it resonates with Fay's earlier melody.  And both are filled with emotion, not a lack of same.

Let's jump ahead to much later in Sondheim's career, to Assassins.  This is not some simple history lesson; this is a probing into the hearts of people we've previously been taught to regard as cardboard villians.  The slow waltz that Czolgosz sings at the beginning and end of "The Gun Song" reveal his passionate hatred for the toll the mechanization has taken on society; this is hardly heartless, he sings from his heart.  Similarly, Booth's plea to make his motives understood in "The Ballad of Booth" is filled with passion, a passionate love for his country.  It isn't until he calls Lincoln a "nigger-lover" that we are reminded of the foulness in his soul; until that repellant moment, the audience falls into his own rapture.  Even in as simple a song as "Unworthy of Your Love," Sondheim fills his characters with passion and heart, even when those passions are pointed in negative directions.

Jumping again to an earlier show, what is Sweeney Todd's "Epiphany" but the baring of a soul right down to the heart, showing all the bitterness, anger, and sense of loss that the man has.

Sondheim has as much heart, and as much empathy for his characters, as Hammerstein ever had.  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2004, 04:41:21 PM »

A recipe for frogs legs, of course!

Panni

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2004, 04:42:55 PM »

DR Reminder during my posting frenzy...Barbra Streisand is on INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO tonight. Should be interesting. Although I now can't watch James Lipton without thinking of Will Ferrell and cracking up. (Of course, he was pretty funny even before Will Ferrell came along to spoof him.)
Lots of good TV tonight, actually.
Which reminds me... For the Canadians.... Is Brian Linehan still doing interviews? He used to drive me crazy with his ten minute questions, showing he knew EVERYTHING there was to know about the stars he was interviewing. Very James Lipton-esque

Jenny

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2004, 04:44:39 PM »

Wonderful post, Woody.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2004, 04:44:49 PM »

DAWN OF THE DEAD has finally knocked Gibson's PASSION from its #1 spot in the US Box Office. The zombies have triumphed over Jesus.
Has a lot to say about many things.
Unfortunately, what does it say about us that we've supplanted one violent film with another?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2004, 04:45:39 PM »

Off to make dinner...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2004, 04:48:36 PM »

Come back soon, y'hear.  Chat in one hour and ten minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2004, 04:49:33 PM »

I'm trying Claritin D now, instead of plain old Claritin.  Perhaps that will work better.

Danise

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2004, 04:50:32 PM »

Well, Jesus did raise the dead, did He not?  It seems a logical next #1 movie to me.

I'll  pass on the frog legs receipe, but thanks. I couldn't do that to her. We used to pack them when I worked at the seafood plant.    Breaded frog legs look like little pairs of pants.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Robin

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2004, 04:52:57 PM »

Unfortunately, what does it say about us that we've supplanted one violent film with another?

If you read Matthew 27:52-53*, Jesus' death triggers an invasion of Jerusalem by zombies:

"The tombs broke open, and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life.  They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' ressurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many people."

*I'm not a biblical scholar.  I had to look this up.  But it's perfectly appropriate that the pretentious splatter of The Passion of the Christ gets toppled by the old-school splatter of Dawn of the Dead...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 05:00:54 PM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2004, 04:55:23 PM »

We sure have a lot of people looking at posts - twelve regulars and eight GUESTS.  Why, if only...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2004, 04:56:51 PM »

Whew getting my thoughts together to post my Kritzer Time impressions.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2004, 05:04:20 PM »

I had a hunch Noel would be the one disparaging Sondheim; he'd be inconsistant if he didn't.

Hart's lyrics are generalized, not set for any particular characters.

Hammerstein, on the other hand, wrote for the characters in his plays (let's not forget that he is also one of the greatest bookwriters the musical has ever known).  

I actually find myself in near-agreement with DR Noel; because I still believe (Oh! a MISS SAIGON reference! -  in a Sondheim vs Hart discussion!) that Hart is the top lyric writer of the twentieth century, followed by Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Oscar Hammerstein AND Stephen Sondheim.  It's not that I find Sondheim overrated, just over-discussed, dissected and sanctified.  It's hardly disparagement which I read into DR Noel's post, but a fairly factual - though opinionated - take on Sondheim.

I will however, heartily disagree with the statement that Hart's lyrics are not written for a specific character!  Listen to THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE (which is my favorite Rogers & Hart score) once more; tricky twin songs which are truly confined to the Dromios, even "Falling in Love with Love" is a totally accurate expression for its character; "The Ladies of the Evening in the Morning" is a brilliantly written "fun" song.   The fact that many of Hart's songs have become standards is something to shout about, rather than something to put down!  Listen to PAL JOEY.  Listen to YANKEE.    Personally, I think you may be surprised at Hart's prolificacy as well as his talent.

Well, off to watch Babs in The Actors' Studio.  

No chat for me.  Weekends are fraught with nurse-like activities. . .moreso than week nights. . .
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 08:28:16 PM by td »
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2004, 05:05:51 PM »

I'll  pass on the frog legs receipe, but thanks. I couldn't do that to her. We used to pack them when I worked at the seafood plant.    Breaded frog legs look like little pairs of pants.  

What about a frog legs recipe with HORSERADISH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2004, 05:06:06 PM »

What I like about both Hart and Sondheim is that they appeal to both my intellect and my heart. They can delight me with the intricate cleverness of their verse while evoking strong emotion in me.  I also think that intellect and emotion are not necessarily two different things.  I think the smarter a person than complex is emotional development is.

Panni, Frank Langella will always have a place in my heart if for nothing else than simply his performance in THOSE LIPS, THOSE EYES...my very favourite movie about the lure and the love of the theatre.

Jenny

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2004, 05:12:13 PM »

Alas, my computer still won't let let me enter chatrooms.

Robin

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2004, 05:12:37 PM »

Although I now can't watch James Lipton without thinking of Will Ferrell and cracking up.

I've never been able to watch James Lipton.  I can only stand so much sycophantic ass-kissing.

Can I say "ass-kissing" on HHW?  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2004, 05:15:49 PM »

My Kritzer Time comments are here, and posted at Amazon - for whenever they decide to publish them.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2004, 05:16:13 PM »

okay, I'll post.
Today has been a boring day of TV watching and lounging about.  But ironically, I have to go to a rehearsal along about the time chat will start, so I probably won't make it to much of it.

Laura II

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2004, 05:17:19 PM »

Just wanted to let everyone know that my great-aunt Angela, whom I mentioned before, passed away today. She had been suffering for a while, and now she is at peace.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Danise

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2004, 05:20:24 PM »

I'm most sorry to hear about your loss DR Laura II.  My deepest condolances to you and your family.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2004, 05:23:04 PM »

Here are Jrand's beautiful Kritzer Time comments, for those who haven't seen them on the other board:

<I have heard of A Purloined Letter, I have heard of A Purloined Book, I have even heard of Purloined Pearls!  But purloined memories?

That is what Kritzer Time seems like to me.  If I knew for sure it wasn't so, I would be certain that Bruce Kimmel had followed me around from ages 13 to 17.  The wants and fears are the same, the clothes are the same, and most definitely the music is the same.

If Benjamin Kritzer was obsessed with songs, movies, and records in the first two volumes of this trilogy (Benjamin Kritzer and Kritzerland), in Kritzer Time he makes the short leap to passion for them.  And he makes two amazing and life-changing discoveries about himself:  he can CREATE music, and he can hold an audience in the palm of his hand.

In short, as so many of us long to do, Benjamin Kritzer discovers a wonderful and joyful world outside his own.  But is it really outside?  Perhaps the world he has grown up in is the alien one (he always suspected it was so) and the world he is about to step into is the one he belonged in all the time.

Readers of the first two books will be joyful at the return of familiar characters and relish the introductions to new ones.  

Life is wonderful and tragic, and a reader knows his heart has been touched when he immediately understands the feelings the author is expressing.  With moments of high hilarity and other moments of sorrow and longing, Kritzer Time mines that richest of all fields, an adolescence, and comes up with such gold and treasures that it should be kept in a safe place.  

Buy the book (all of them) for a friend.  The friend will thank you.  And in giving it yourself, yours will be safe....like an acquaintance from the past, like a letter from a faraway friend, like a memory you keep inside your heart until it's time to share>

Thanks, Jrand!  And also, thanks to all who are so careful to not include spoilers in your comments - much appreciated.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up