Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE VERY BUSY WEEK  (Read 15612 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE VERY BUSY WEEK
« Reply #240 on: June 08, 2009, 07:08:46 PM »

DR elmore - I still remember finding out that hardboiled eggs can and will explode... Of course, it took my mom yelling at me in the backyard to tell me so.  Spoo!

*To prevent that from happening again, I use the "bring to boil, then let sit" method now.  I place the eggs in the pan, cover them with cold water, then place the pan on the stove.  I heat the pan up until the water comes to a boil, then turn off the heat and cover the pan.  After about 15-17 minutes**, drain the water, then cover the eggs with cold water too cool them down.

**Or 3-5 minute for soft-cooked; 6-8 minutes for medium-cooked yolk.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #241 on: June 08, 2009, 07:10:27 PM »

DR JRand - It's sort of scary... I fully understood those ptsos.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #242 on: June 08, 2009, 07:12:53 PM »

PAGE NINE PIRAGUA DANCE!!!!

Piragua, Piragua... One-Twenty-Five Piragua...

Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #243 on: June 08, 2009, 07:17:49 PM »

DAW - Did you notice that in response to the notion on ATC that Channing and Tveit do a musical of THE FAN, some person with too much time on his or her hands posted this:

N2N/PAL JOEY/THE FAN Tony moment

AARON TVEIT as MICHAEL BIEHN (tune of "I Am The One")

Can you tell me why you shudder in horror
Can you tell me is it because of me
Can I cut you
It won’t hurt for too long now
How could something be wrong, I just can’t see
‘Cause I’m just a nut
And I won’t just go
But hon you do not know

I am the one who stalked you
I am the one who stared
I am the one who made you so scared
I am the one who’ll kill you
And they won’t catch me; if they think that they can
Hon, you just don’t know I’m THE FAN

STOCKARD CHANNING as LAUREN BACALL (tune of "Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered")

Pardon if I get formal
When I act on this whim
May I be next to Normal
If Normal looks like him

It’s fate again
It’s great again
It’s fun when a date looks like Tveit again
Bereft, badgered and besotted no more!

(counterpoint created by the arranger, then)

STOCKARD as LAUREN, now alone after AARON as MICHAEL is gone

When that Aaron's here I sing "what is a man"
I miss the mountin'
Oh, I miss the mountin'
I miss my fan
I miss my fan

(CURTAIN)

td

• td
« Reply #244 on: June 08, 2009, 07:18:18 PM »

Miss Dixie Bell is ensconced on the couch - for the night - she's had her daily dose of the new anti-inflammatory medicine and her brief walk on the leash.  She's been adding more and more weight to that leg, little by little, and we spent some time on the floor playing with her favorite toys. 
Now to see what tomorrow brings.
Dixie Bell and I - and mum - continue to thank you wonderful people for the vibes being sent.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

FJL

« Reply #245 on: June 08, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »

Condolences to DR Sam and family from all of us

FJL

« Reply #246 on: June 08, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »

Vibes of all sorts to Edi

FJL

« Reply #247 on: June 08, 2009, 07:20:48 PM »

Healing vibes to Dixie Bell

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #248 on: June 08, 2009, 07:23:59 PM »

There is only one number that i saw that made me really want to see that show. And that was NEXT TO NORMAL. I loved that they showed 3 main characters. And i loved the song.

I was sort of surprised that they did not pick a number from N2N that featured Jennifer Damiano.  Especially since she was also nominated for a Tony this year, and she has a fan-base from her Spring Awakening days.  -Although, since most of her songs contain four-letter words...  Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #249 on: June 08, 2009, 07:25:10 PM »

...GUYS & DOLLS?????  I wanted to see lauren graham so much. Or craig bierko. Instead they show some guy singing "rock the boat". THat is a nice song. But not what i wanted to see....

That "some guy" just got the television exposure that can launch a career.  His name is Tituss Burgess - remember it.

Michael Jeter got the same kind of exposure the year he won Featured Actor in a Musical for Grand Hotel.  His performance of "We'll Take a Glass Together", along with his acceptance speech, was immediately followed by his being signed to the Burt Reynolds television series Evening Primrose, and he no longer had to stick to his paralegal day job.

Burgess' performance of "Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat" was the same kind of career launcher.  And it was the kind of performance I love to see on the Tonys.

Thanks, but I will take Walter Bobbie's version any time.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2009, 07:30:19 PM »

...GUYS & DOLLS?????  I wanted to see lauren graham so much. Or craig bierko. Instead they show some guy singing "rock the boat". THat is a nice song. But not what i wanted to see....

That "some guy" just got the television exposure that can launch a career.  His name is Tituss Burgess - remember it.

Michael Jeter got the same kind of exposure the year he won Featured Actor in a Musical for Grand Hotel.  His performance of "We'll Take a Glass Together", along with his acceptance speech, was immediately followed by his being signed to the Burt Reynolds television series Evening Primrose, and he no longer had to stick to his paralegal day job.

Burgess' performance of "Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat" was the same kind of career launcher.  And it was the kind of performance I love to see on the Tonys.

Not Stubby Kaye?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #251 on: June 08, 2009, 07:32:05 PM »

DR td - Thanks for the update on DD Dixie Bell.  Maybe she just wanted more couch time. ;) ~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #252 on: June 08, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »

Not Stubby Kaye?

It would have been nice(r) to see - and hear it - without the sound issues and hand-held microphone.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #253 on: June 08, 2009, 07:35:18 PM »

DR FJL - I could run that by Tom Kitt later in the week if you'd like.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »

DR SWW - I believe you mean(t) "Evening Shade". ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2009, 07:40:50 PM »

I'm bummed. I thought that concert with Malcolm Gets was last night at the Triad but i was wrong. When I got home, I sent the conductor a message. He's not responded, and I don't know when this this concert is happening.

That's too bad, Elmore, but what a coinkydink!  I just got Malcolm Gets' solo CD delivered to me, here at work.  I'm going to listen to it right now. :)

Conducted by the evilest queen in show biz!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #256 on: June 08, 2009, 07:41:10 PM »

Not Stubby Kaye?

Perhaps I should have said I preferred the 1990's revival version better.  It was nothing against Mr. Burgess, but I didn't like the choreography at all.

And speaking of that, The stupid bass drum that I carried thru most of GUYS AND DOLLS, became soemthing of a running joke because I was always running into someone or blocking the wings or whatever.  We decided that the drum should have gotten his name in the program, so I named the drum, Tubby Kaye.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #257 on: June 08, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »

Well.  On that note.

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2009, 07:53:10 PM »

I spent today working the score of THE PRODUCERS.  Since I have a sort of strangely bifurcated role, in that I'm picking up the bulk of the "other instruments" with a synth for performances, it's fun to just play the boom chuck parts for piano in preparation for our first actual, honest to goodness rehearsal tomorrow.

DR JMK - When I subbed in for the national tour, there were two keys for "The Little Wooden Boy".  And I had to prepare both keys.  And ended up playing both keys over the course of my brief stint.

I didn't bother to ask "Why?" at the time, but... Do you have any idea why a transposition was needed?... For a solo piano/instrumental cue?!?!?!

*And when I just did the show in Charleston, I was reminded of "nightmare" of the cue going into Roger's apartment, and the phone call. I was amazed at how fast that scene change took place, and just how fast we/I had to play that cue.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #259 on: June 08, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »

Well.  On that note.

G'night!

Sweet Dreams, DR TCB.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #260 on: June 08, 2009, 07:55:55 PM »

Jose - A parody done with much affection.  Brian Yorkey was the person responsible for getting The Last Starfighter to the Village Theatre for our terrific experience there in 2006, and both Tom and Brian were Skip's students at the BMI Workshop.  They even sent Skip one of their opening night commemorative gifts with a beautiful note.

If i wanted to be sarcastic, i might have included my number from The Sound of Prozac, making some changes to help the road tour :)  :

SUPERIOR MOTHER

Can you tell me what it is you can't face now
Can you tell me if it's that sweet von Trapp
Did they taunt you, all those sweet little children
Or did something go wrong that made you snap
But Maria dear
You have got to go
'Cause this show needs more dough

I am the nun who guides you
I am the nun who leads
I am the nun who'd give you her beads
I am the nun who's climbing
Up walls that seems just like a cast iron gate
I am the nun who says wait

So climb up those mountains
Cli-i-imb 'til you ford a stream

(you get the idea, I'd never do anything like that!)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:00:15 PM by FJL »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2009, 07:56:25 PM »

I am so jealous. You guys get 2 of my favorite show tonight, MY LIFE ON THE D LIST (which hopefully we will get in a month)...

We're only 45 minutes in so far, and I have to say it's already been quite the laugh-filled episode.  Kathy Griffin + Bette Midler = ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2009, 07:58:04 PM »

DR FJL - With mucho affection indeed!  And, of course, you'd never do anything like that. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2009, 08:40:44 PM »

Had some wonderful viewing tonight.

I began by listening to rather large chunks from each of the commentaries on the work project disc. I really liked the screenwriter's track. Since he wrote the original book, he could fill in so much information that couldn't be included in the movie and it was all really interesting stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #264 on: June 08, 2009, 08:42:39 PM »

Not Stubby Kaye?

It would have been nice(r) to see - and hear it - without the sound issues and hand-held microphone.

I liked the staging of the Bobbie version so much more. And the tempo was decidedly faster and thus its impact more electric.

Matt H.

« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2009, 08:44:24 PM »

I am so jealous. You guys get 2 of my favorite show tonight, MY LIFE ON THE D LIST (which hopefully we will get in a month)...

We're only 45 minutes in so far, and I have to say it's already been quite the laugh-filled episode.  Kathy Griffin + Bette Midler = ;D

I specifically saved it until tomorrow to enjoy while I eat lunch.

Matt H.

« Reply #266 on: June 08, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »

Next, I watched last night's LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT. Very surprising episode. Lynn Redgrave was the principal guest star.

Matt H.

« Reply #267 on: June 08, 2009, 08:46:02 PM »

Next up was today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Just skimmed it since the boys weren't on, but they were in the previews for tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #268 on: June 08, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »

Then I watched episode #4 from THE CLOSER - Season Four box set. Enjoyable episode to see again.

Matt H.

« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2009, 08:48:21 PM »

Then I went back and rewatched some of last night's Tony special moments. Neil's final number was where I started. Then, I watched the opening number, the SHREK number, and Angela's acceptance speech.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up