Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STRAIGHTFORWARD NOTES  (Read 36979 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE STRAIGHTFORWARD NOTES
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2004, 11:05:57 AM »

I just ordered PEYTON PLACE, MYRA BRECKINRIDGE, and THE SADIST (on recommendation of DR MBARNUM), although since it stars Arch Hall Jr, I would think we viewers would be more in the category of masochists.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2004, 11:08:39 AM »

My comments were directed at the "review" being held up as an accurate reflection of what a 55-year-old should be doing in life.

RLP:  Yes, I understood that, and (I think) worded my reply accordingly.  I noted that the writer appeared to be employing hyperbole for comedic effect, not seriously voicing the conviction that all 55-year-olds should drink Ensure.

Ron, I find it really interesting that you have in the past so vocally decried the so-called "PC Police," yet when it comes to the subject of age, it would seem that certain "un-PC" comments are considered verboten.  I particularly remember your spirited defense of the well-worn phrase "when rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it" as being merely well-meant ribbing that could only be seen as repulsive and distasteful to the oversensitive and easily offended.

Surely the passage I quoted is not, subjectively speaking, nearly as inflammatory as the "rape" bromide?  Yet you found it offensive and hurtful.  Perhaps, upon reflection, you'll be moved to re-evaluate your position on other un-PC rhetoric, on the understanding that what may not strike you as offensive can nonetheless aggrieve others.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2004, 11:10:23 AM »

I just ordered [...] THE SADIST (on recommendation of DR MBARNUM), although since it stars Arch Hall Jr...

Arch Hall, Jr.

Speaking of inflammatory and offensive...
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2004, 11:11:05 AM »

« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 11:31:03 AM by JRand53 »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2004, 11:27:07 AM »

I don't remember who asked, but Jennifer Westerfield or whatever her name is comes off better on stage than on the CD because she is more of an actress than a singer.  When this production originated at Encores, Laura Benatti was a great Eileen, but she was unavailable at the time for this production and when asked in some column if she was sorry she missed it she replied that she had outgrown parts like that... whatever she meant by that.  Donna is quite good as Ruth, although it is not quite one of the all time great performance that critics have made it out to be.  In fact, her voice is too good for a role that was written for a non-singer.

Liza saw WICKED Saturday night and then sang "Cabaret" with Joel Grey as part of the BC/EFA fund raising pitch afterwards.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2004, 11:27:28 AM »

A very happy birthday to Mr. Stephen Sondheim!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2004, 11:30:39 AM »

I would much rather discuss Mr Sondheim than Ms Streisand.  His name never causes controversy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2004, 11:31:55 AM »

RLP:  Yes, I understood that, and (I think) worded my reply accordingly.  I noted that the writer appeared to be employing hyperbole for comedic effect, not seriously voicing the conviction that all 55-year-olds should drink Ensure.

Ron, I find it really interesting that you have in the past so vocally decried the so-called "PC Police," yet when it comes to the subject of age, it would seem that certain "un-PC" comments are considered verboten.  I particularly remember your spirited defense of the well-worn phrase "when rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it" as being merely well-meant ribbing that could only be seen as repulsive and distasteful to the oversensitive and easily offended.

Surely the passage I quoted is not, subjectively speaking, nearly as inflammatory as the "rape" bromide?  Yet you found it offensive and hurtful.  Perhaps, upon reflection, you'll be moved to re-evaluate your position on other un-PC rhetoric, on the understanding that what may not strike you as offensive can nonetheless aggrieve others.

Please refer me to a specific quotation where I said any such thing about the "rape" bromide being what you say I said.

I can recall using it as an example of things that were said to a Navy audience, of which I was a member, at a time when the audience laughed and was not offended BECAUSE AT THAT TIME we were not sensitized to it.

I have never taken the position that the bromide itself was inoffensive...only that in another time and another place, I heard it in a context that was unaware of its insensitivity.  If you took it any other way, I am sorry.

As for PC remarks, I am averse to overly PC everything.  That does not mean I'm against sensitivity, good taste or manners.  

I don't think the bitchiness of that review has anything to do with being PC or anti-PC...it's just bad taste, bad manners and cheapjack journalism.

Of course, it's open to interpretation.  
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 01:25:16 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2004, 11:32:47 AM »

...now about that Sondheim....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2004, 11:35:16 AM »

Who?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2004, 11:36:02 AM »

I'm very excited - my new super-duper handy-dandy Jerry Goldsmith limited edition six CD set will be here this afternoon.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2004, 11:41:55 AM »

BK did you get my email?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 11:42:15 AM by JRand53 »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2004, 11:44:59 AM »

I apologize to one and all for being argumentative.

I certainly don't want anyone to be upset.  Lulu and I were having a spirited discussion, but it was seeming like a bit more to some readers, and I want everyon to understand that I hold no hard feelings for LuLu or anyone else who has stated their opinions on the subject of Ms. Streisand.

Some of us are a bit more aggressive in our discussions and we sometimes forget that others perceive "tones" that are not necessarily there.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2004, 11:48:03 AM »

If you really want controversy...

...It's Andrew Lloyd Webber's birthday too!  ;)
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2004, 11:48:28 AM »

Thank you, Panni, for your earlier comments.  It used to be, that if someone disliked an actress or an entertainer, they simply avoided their work.  They didn’t go see their films, they didn’t listen to their music, and they certainly didn’t turn on the television to watch an interview with someone that they didn’t enjoy.  However, Barbra Streisand seems to evoke a whole different set of rules.  A great many people I know (and I don’t mean only people at this site), seem to go out of their way to see her films and hear her music and to watch her interviews, for no other reason than to turn around and bash her.

As Panni pointed out, if big egos were banned from the entertainment industry, we would see a lot fewer stars in that firmament.  Miss Streisand is certainly not alone in scheduling interviews and public appearances to coincide with the release of a new film or CD.  You can look at which stars are appearing on Leno or Letterman in any particular week, and you can pretty well figure out who has a new project coming out in the very near future. Someone yesterday commented on the fact that Streisand even reads her ad-libs off of cue cards.  A lot of entertainers script everything in their performances right down to the smallest throw-away line.  I can think of Bette Midler, Wayne Newton, Steve and Eydie, and Bob Hope; all of whom are famous for scripted ad-libs.

I don’t want, or expect anyone to like all of the films that I like, or to listen and enjoy all of the singers and musicians that I like; but if you don’t care for someone, then fine,  just let it go.  I promise that I won't go see Patti LuPone's next Broadway show or buy her next CD, if people would just lighten up a little on Barbra.

As for the casting of people who are not age appropriate, it does make one wonder what Laurence Harvey was trying to do by having Angela Lansbury, who is only three years older than him, play his mother in Manchurian Candiadate.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2004, 11:48:30 AM »

RLP - how did you get your hair to do that?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2004, 11:50:39 AM »

That casting decision wasn't made by Mr Harvey, DRTCB - and I still think the original choice of Frankenheimer & Sinatra for the role of Mrs Iselin would have been a stunner:  Lucille Ball!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2004, 11:52:47 AM »

Well, it seems obvious from yesterday’s posts, that Mel Gibson truly missed his mark.  If he had really wanted to make a divisive movie, he should have made a film called “The Passion of Stephen Sondheim.”   BK’s close and personal friend seems to evoke strong sentiments on both sides of the issue.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2004, 11:52:57 AM »

If you really want controversy...

...It's Andrew Lloyd Webber's birthday too!  ;)

I like most of his shows and even quite a few of the scores to the shows, but I think I only love Evita.  I saw the national tour in Seattle in 1986 with Florence Lacey and I thought that it was spectacular, as was Florence.  I love the original Broadway cast recording of Joseph... but don't really like any of the others, especially the later ones.  Laurie Beechman was the best narrator and the show itself (based on the recording) was just absolute delightful.  It didn't try to be anything other than what it was.  The later recordings (and DVD) make it seem like every song is supposed to be a freakin' show-stopper.  It's worse than a Jerry Herman musical.  I mean, how many orgasms can you have in one night? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2004, 11:54:41 AM »

RLP - how did you get your hair to do that?

Do you mean the hair in my picture...or the hair that grew up my....(never mind).

I was young, my hair was fine and very manageable...it was the cut...it wasn't anything out of the ordinary special to me at the time.  It was also a photo taken in September...after a full summer of having worked outside.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2004, 11:55:01 AM »

I don't know, how many?

It's just that I remember having hair and that's what I wanted mine to look like....but it never did.  :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 11:55:57 AM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2004, 11:57:43 AM »

Yes, tone is difficult on these boards sometimes.  I think we've all misunderstood at one point or another.  I always think spirited discussion is great and I encourage it - just respectfully, as happens here most of the time.  I've posted things that were meant humorously and didn't read that way -so it made me aware of it and I at least look to make sure that I'm getting across what I want to in the WAY that I want to.

Got your e, Jrand, much thanks.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2004, 12:00:38 PM »

Speaking as a 55-year-old male who has no need of Ensure, Feenamint or bruised produce, I'm totally offended by this review...and shocked that anyone would propose it as an appropriate idea to be applied, in its entirety, to anyone who is 55 years old.

For cryin' out loud! :(

LOL-At 55 I made need insure soon, but since I was thirty I have often been told I’m too old to wear the clothes I wear and my long hair should be cut.  

When my younger son was ten he asked me if I’m going to wear long hair even when I’m old.  To my probably, he thought about it for a moment then decided it was okay, even a good thing, like Jessica Tandy.  You can’t beat that for a compliment.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 12:21:24 PM by Jane »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2004, 12:01:57 PM »

DR JANE I think you left a out of that sentence.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2004, 12:02:47 PM »

Andrew who?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2004, 12:21:51 PM »

My "revolting" referred to certain political BS, not the considerable remains of a phenomenal instrument
PennyO

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2004, 12:22:52 PM »

DR JANE I think you left a out of that sentence.

I modified & added an and.  Where did I need an out? ;D

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2004, 12:27:52 PM »

WELCOME HOME JOE
PennyO

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2004, 12:28:45 PM »

I think I love a lot of Rodgers and Hart songs, but honestly don't know which ones they wrote...and those titles listed (most of them) don't ring a bell with me. If I heard them then I am sure I would recongnize almost all of them....so I will say that some of my favorites have already been listed! LOL!

I have no opinion of Babs S. I loved WHAT'S UP DOC but have not really seen any of her other films, and as for her singing, I am not that familiar with a lot of her work and what I have heard didn't do much for me. But I love Bollywood music and Roger Corman films so what do I know! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2004, 12:29:27 PM »

Welcome home Joe and now get some rest!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up