Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STRAIGHTFORWARD NOTES  (Read 38279 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE STRAIGHTFORWARD NOTES
« on: March 22, 2004, 12:00:59 AM »

Well, you've read the notes (newbies included), you've had no trouble understanding the notes because they are so straightforward, so now it's time for you to post until the cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 12:01:18 AM by bk »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THE STRAIGHTFORWARD NOTES
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 12:15:22 AM »

First post, first post, is it mine??

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 12:17:35 AM »

Was that the name of a Rodgers & Hart song Ann?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 12:21:32 AM »

My Funny Valentine.
To Keep My Love Alive
I Could Write A Book
My Romance
This Can't Be Love
A Ship Without A Sail
Sing For Your Supper

(I could list many others).

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 12:54:22 AM »

Well, there are the obvious ones:

BLUE MOON
THIS CAN'T BE LOVE
WHERE OR WHEN
SMALL HOTEL
EASY TO REMEMBER (BUT SO HARD TO FORGET)

I'm also find of:

IT NEVER ENTER MY MIND
GLAD TO BE UNHAPPY
YOU TOOK ADVANTAGE OF ME
I'LL TELL THE MAN IN THE STREET
QUIET NIGHT
SOON
I MARRIED AN ANGEL

I'm also fond of a ditty from ON YOUR TOES called TWO A DAY FOR KEITH, as well as the whole score for BOYS FROM SYRACUSE.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 02:34:40 AM »

Sorry about wussburgering out early last night.  I was tired.  I lay down.  I conked out.  (A Caesar-ish reference, and I don't mean Sid.)

My problem with Rodgers and Hart's work as a team is that I remember Rodgers' contribution, but Hart's just floats on by.  Thus, the "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" ballet sticks with me more than the rest of the On Your Toes score.  (Somewhere, I've got a CD including "Slaughter" re-realized for synthesizer, I believe by a one-man band called "Synergy".  I don't think we have the track as recorded by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops, with which I grew up.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 04:00:29 AM »

Dear BK, I think it's the Claritin D getting your sentences in order, and I wonder if the school systems shouldn't just start passing it out like candy to their failing students to promote clearer syntax and rational thought.

Last evening's chat was such fun that I cannot wait until next week.  There are some really wonderful folk on this site and BK is (in Mrs Malaprop's terminology) the pineapple of perfection as our host.

Rodgers & Hart are possibly my faves, but then along comes a Kern song like "Till the Clouds Roll By" or "Long Ago And Far Away" by another romantic lyricist Mr Ira Gershwin and it's hard to decide.  I'm also partial to P.G. Wodehouse whimsical lyrics as well:  he strikes me as another Hart-like writer, a little cynical and whimsical, but very romantic when Kern's fantastic tunes send his words afloat.

So, Rodgers & Hart faves:

WHERE THE HUDSON RIVER FLOWS
   when the moon is shining down on Wall Street
   meet me in the shadow of the wall
   then we'll run through every large and small street
   half a mile from Broadway you can hear the crickets call
   we will find a wagon we can speed in
   all the thickest woods we'll journey through
   and I'll feel like Adam in his Eden
   in the lovely Bronx with you
BYE AND BYE
MY ROMANCE
LITTLE GIRL BLUE
ISN'T IT ROMANTIC?
EVERY SUNDAY AFTERNOON
YOU'RE NEARER
SPRING IS HERE
YOU TOOK ADVANTAGE OF ME
JOHNNY ONE-NOTE
THE HEART IS QUICKER THAN THE EYE
And the list goes and grows . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 04:33:37 AM »

My guests from out of town went out for dinner and came home and watched last bit of the show and then watched it on tape. At one point I turne to them and asked if they thought she got the questions ahead of time. They thought so. I also thought that she must have work done on her face. too perfect and all you had to do was look at her hands to see they looked a lot older and she was wearing a high necked sweater which is also a give away. At first I thought she was well spoken and meaningful but it was all well rehearsed, As for the lighting I wondered she was sitting so far away from James Lipton. And his running joke about singing at the Bon Soir was funny. We also thought that after awhile that she forgot about this award or that award or that honor was a failed attempted to make her seem more humble. But when they showed her clips of singing in the 1960's and her most recent album it pointed up the difference between her sound then and now. I prefer the 60's streisand sounds more natural.

BUT in the end it really was a PR ploy on her part as the DVD release of her MGM concert is out in two weeks.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 04:37:31 AM »

As for Mr. Larry Hart, there are so many out there. Mr. Ben Bagley released several volumes of Rodgers and Hart "rare" songs and of course all the cast albums. So to paraphrase Mr. Jason Graae Rodgers and Hart are good for the soul. Here is my Cole Porter List.

So In Love
True Love
From This Moment on
Come to the Supermarket
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 04:38:34 AM »

Ah DRCHARLES POGUE has already named my favorite R/H song:  "It Nevered Entered My Mind.'  :D

I also have to mention "You Mustn't Kick it Around", "Plant You Now", and "A Ship Without a Sail."

Too bad last year's revival of THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE turned out so badly.  :'(
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 04:40:26 AM »

Oh, and "Mountain Greenery"....damn they all come back to you...and you can't pick just one...LOL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 04:49:42 AM »

Oh, and "Mountain Greenery"....damn they all come back to you...and you can't pick just one...LOL.

It's so true!  How could I have forgotten "It Never Entered My Mind" and that great line from the second refrain: "the man who came to dinner lets me eat alone"?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 05:13:00 AM »

Just finished catching up after being e&t all weekend. Spent aforementioned weekend putting the computer back into working order. Everything seems to be working well. We were able to get most important stuff off before the final crash and now thanks to zip drives and recordable CDs I can restore fonts and some documents and programs that were lost. Huzzah! More tweaking will be done but at least we're back on line and computer-enabled once more.

Went to a christening party in Brooklyn yesterday and had a nice time seeing Anthony's cousins and aunts and uncles. Then we came home, stuffed from too much Italian food and watched a portion of Pretension personified AKA James Lipton. It was interesting at first but as others have noted, it all seemed to be rehearsed and rather dull after a while. Not that I would expect Mr. Lipton to ask anything even remotely untoward or unseemely but his ass-kissing reached new heights last night. We turned it off after about 45 minutes and had some over-ripe pears (the Bartletts seem to ripen so quickly) and did more work on the computer, loading the photo editing program and the digital camera software.

So many songs have been mentioned already but I'll just say them over again. My Romance is one of my favorites. I Wish I Were in Love Again (when love congeals, it soon reveals, the faint aroma of performing seals, the double crossing of a pair of heels, I wish I were in love again - great lyric!). This Can't Be Love (I always remember the coffee commercial from the 60s or was it the 70s This can't be coffee cause it tastes so good, they took the bitter taste out). And more, and more.

Well, I will now listen to the Donald Feltham show and get to work on this cool March morning. TTFN
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 05:14:13 AM by Ben »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 05:18:47 AM »

Larry Hart is my favorite lyricist.

As I think of a song, I often remember where and when I first heard it.

Nobody's Heart from "By Jupiter" is probably my favorite. The others include, among others:

Wait Till You See Her
Sing for Your Supper
I'll Tell the Man on the Street
This Funny World
Where or When
Thou Swell
I Didn't Know What Time It Was
This Can't Be Love
My Funny Valentine
Johnny One Note
I Could Write a Book
The Lady Is a Tramp
Little Girl Blue
Manhattan
Zip

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 05:19:23 AM »

ah yes...DRELMORE.... "...order orange juice for one..."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 06:06:27 AM »

My Romance (my current favorite song - by anybody)
I Feel at Home With You (my former favorite song - by anybody)
Quiet Night
Why Can't I
You Are Too Beautiful
Wait Till You See Her
My Friend the Night
Manhattan
Take Him
It Never Entered My Mind
My Funny Valentine
It's Got To Be Love
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2004, 06:36:05 AM »

My Romance (my current favorite song - by anybody)

Don't you love that turn at the end of the verse:

We don't need that flow'ry fuss
No sir, madame, not for us

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2004, 06:58:13 AM »

LOL....clever is such a shallow word to use....but it fits....Lorenz Hart was a clever fellow.

And of course, I have related this story before BUT - at one time out of Cincinatti there was a bunch of people doing shows including Bob Braun, an elephant of a man who thought he could sing.  People appearing in shows in the Ohio Valley always visited the 50-50 Club to promote their shows.

Kitty Carlisle and Jack Jones were doing Maytime in the neighborhood and stopped by - mid 1960's I would guess as I recall....and Braun introduced them and rattled on and on, eventually marrying Kitty off the Lorenz Hart.  She was horrified and graciously said..."no no no....I was married to Moss Hart the director...."  Braun never acknowledged his mistake or her correction but plowed on in his own way....

William E. Lurie

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 07:13:43 AM »

There are so many Rodgers & Hart songs that I love and many of them have already been listed, but if  I think of some more, I'll add them.

Mufti shows are not reviewed since they don't think it's fair to the cast with so little rehearsal.  However I want to make a couple of comments on this weekend's BEST FOOT FORWARD.  On one hand, it was one of the best Mufti shows I have seen, and of the 43 shows so far, I have seen 34 of them.  But on the other hand, they seem to be moving farther and farther away from the original Mufti idea of simplicity  and faithfullness to the original.  Although once or twice they have done shows that were revised by the original writers, this is the first Mufti show with a concert adaptor credited.  What we ended up with was a book and score that was based on the 1941 original but with several new plot twists, a couple of songs from the movie and revival and one brand new song.  Since the new song was from 89-year-old Hugh Martin who wrote much of the original score (Martin and Blane worked together but each wrote separate songs), that is okay.  But the idea of Mufti has never been to present new versions of old shows... it's to present old shows that never get produced or as the York's artistic director Jim Morgan says "if we don't do them nobody else will".  Secondly, the very term Mufti means "in street clothes, without trappings".  While prior shows have had a bit of costuming here and there, this is the first fully costumed Mufti show and the first with a costume designer credited.  Again, they were very nice, but were not what Mufti is supposed to be.  So as much as I enjoyed the show, I hope that it is not a sign that Mufti is going to try and become bigger and flashier, or that its audiences are going to expect more in the future.  If so, it will be good... but it won't really be Mufti.  Next week's FANNY may tell the tale.

I now have a question for someone who might know: who is it that requires that the cast carries scripts at concert groups like Mufti, Encores, Musicals Tonight, etc.?  At various times I have heard it is the rightsholders who claim that this differentiates a concert and a full production and by using scripts it is considered a concert and therefore the royalties are lower; at other times I have heard it is Equity which says that with such a short rehearsal period memorization is not required.  Yet rarely are these books referred to, but the cast seems to be required to carry them anyway.  So who requires them and if someone in the cast knows his/her lines can he/she do the show without them?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Kerry

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2004, 07:19:21 AM »

The smell of citrus blooms is everywhere in the city-- truly my favorite time of year ;D

On the other hand, it's ONLY supposed to get to 94 today.

Be back later with songs.

Need to go get a new battery for my car.  I probably need a new one for myself too.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2004, 07:26:33 AM »

I could give a long, long list of Rodgers and Hart songs that I love because I think they were a brilliant team, but I'll mention only my absolute favorite of their tunes:

"I Didn't Know What Time It Was"

Frank Sinatra sings a fine version of it in the PAL JOEY film (interpolated into the movie, of course. It's from TOO MANY GIRLS), but my favorite rendition is y Julie Andrews on BROADWAY'S FAIR JULIE and later reissued on A LITTLE BIT OF BROADWAY. Her interpretation is so simple, direct, and filled with longing. Pure heaven.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2004, 07:28:13 AM »

And of course, I have related this story before BUT - at one time out of Cincinatti there was a bunch of people doing shows including Bob Braun, an elephant of a man who thought he could sing.  People appearing in shows in the Ohio Valley always visited the 50-50 Club to promote their shows.

DR JRand53, when I was around 8 or so, my mother, her four sisters, and all their children went to the 50-50 Club and Ruth Lyons actually talked to me on camera.  I was much more talkative than Benjamin Kritzer.  My only real memories of Cincinnati television are Willy Thall, Ruth Lyons' constant praising of Hildegarde,  and Ruth's annual Christmas drive.  My Aunt Dorothy had the Ruth Lyons songbook.  Remember "Let's Light the Christmas Tree"?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2004, 07:30:22 AM »

I saw the last 45 minutes of the first hour of the Lipton/Streisand love fest, and it nauseated me. She came across to me as totally phony and indeed the entire set-up just too gushy and adoring. And you're right NO PROBING QUESTIONS. Why talk about the film of FUNNY GIRL if you're not going to ask about wonderful songs dropped from the stage version and how she felt about that.

And seeing the footage from her early TV work just reinforces in my mind what a powerful, involving performer she was then and how much I don't like a majority of her current efforts.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2004, 07:38:49 AM »

I saw the last 45 minutes of the first hour of the Lipton/Streisand love fest, and it nauseated me. She came across to me as totally phony and indeed the entire set-up just too gushy and adoring. And you're right NO PROBING QUESTIONS. Why talk about the film of FUNNY GIRL if you're not going to ask about wonderful songs dropped from the stage version and how she felt about that.

Well, I would have asked two things:

1.  How influential was she in getting Anne Francis' role cut down?
2.  How did she feel about Sofia Coppola's Oscar nomination after LENTIL?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2004, 07:40:17 AM »

Of course DRElmore I remember Ruth Lyons.  It was after she retired that the 50-50 Club went to the dogs!  One 90 minute commercial for delicious Tyson Chicken products!  I probably saw YOU - my mom always watched Ruth.  We had one of her Christmas albums!

DRMATTH you were talking about "No More" yesterday, and I am so in agreement with you.  That song gets me everytime....and if you could make it through without crying, well...you are stronger than I am!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2004, 07:43:18 AM »

I wasn't knocking Sondheim yesterday, but, rather, saying something about the different eras he, Hart and Rodgers & Hammerstein wrote in.

In the 20's and 30's, cleverness, especially in rhyme, was prized.  Hart brilliantly turned out real emotion that was simultaneously clever "Only my book in bed knows how I look in bed."  In those days, writing songs that could only come from the particular character singing them wasn't relatively important (although, as was pointed out, Hart did that, too).

In the 40's and 50's, starting with the revolution of Oklahoma!, audience expected love stories with songs unique to their characters, and ones that moved the plot along.  While I like Rodgers & Hart songs better than Rodgers & Hammerstein songs, as SHOW-writers, no one tops Rodgers & Hammerstein.

Sondheim's Company was fairly revolutionary in 1970.  As I said, he's got cleverness in spades (playing card analogy alert) but the era he wrote in didn't particularly prize cleverness as much as other virtues.  I love "She sits at the Ritz with her splits of Mumm's and starts to pine for a stein with her village chums but with her mitts 'round a Schlitz down in Fitzroy's bar, she thinks of the Ritz - Oh, it's so schizo!" ... but that song's not as well-known as it would have been if it had been part of a hit like Babes In Arms.

In working on the Bock & Harnick revue last year, I put together something I called the "Elation of Love" medley: songs that express how wonderful it feels to be in love.  Oscar Hammerstein's I'm In Love with a Wonderful Guy is the type of song his protege Sondheim would never consider writing.  For Sondheim, illuminating the euphoria of romance isn't a strong suit (in this sense, he's weak in hearts).  But, as someone writing in a post-Oklahoma era, he of course digs into the psychologies of his characters, and he does this extremely well (like diamonds).

There's an obvious difference between the revolutions of Oklahoma and, say, Follies, which is that the earlier audience immediately embraced the change.  Oklahoma was a hit of unprecedented proportions; the public loved this new more-serious story where the songs fit the time, place and character.  Around the time of Follies, a younger composer (with the same birthday), Andrew Lloyd Webber, burst on to the scene.  Now, if you know me at all, you know I think Sondheim is ten times the songwriter Lloyd Webber is, but the audience doesn't agree.  ALW wrote hit after hit.  This leads me to wonder if the public was/is ready for musicals that don't contain traditional love songs.  Is it really so surprising that a protagonist-less musical about the westernization of Japan didn't have a long run?  Theatre-goers crave romance, which is why The Phantom of the Opera continues to run.

Finally, I'll repeat something that I don't think was understood.  Yes, Sondheim often writes very emotional songs, and these move me greatly.  Joy's rendition of So Many People in her cabaret act; Guy's What Can You Lose on the Sondheim movie song album; Losing My Mind in countless settings.  It's the whole shows, in the theatre (where they were meant to be heard) that often pull me up short.  It's why I see him as the opposite of his mentor: a great SONGwriter, a less good SHOWwriter.  (He hasn't got a lot of clubs.)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2004, 07:45:47 AM »

The smell of citrus blooms is everywhere in the city-- truly my favorite time of year ...

Here too is the smell of citrus, but we're talking orange and grapefruit peels. Minus 18 (Celsius) today.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2004, 07:46:00 AM »

My first real exposure to the works of Rodgers and Hart was through a reel-to-reel tape of Ella Fitzgerald's Rodgers and Hart Songbook (vols 1 & 2 on one tape.)  It was love at first hearing.  Initially, it was Ella's divine voice and phrasing and the lush orchestrations that grabbed me.  But I eventually came to realize that it was also the particular wit, romance and sophistication of the words and music that won me over.  

I think my favorite song, lyric-wise, would be "It Never Entered My Mind".  DRs elmore and JRand already quoted some of the great lines in that song.  I'll add another phrase:  "Uneasy in my easy chair".  Sigh...  That's exquisiteness defined.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2004, 07:46:01 AM »

Good morning. Sorry, I can't just pick one Rodgers & Hart song...

*MY FUNNY VALENTINE
*BEWITCHED, BOTHERED AND BEWILDERED (Now where can you find a lyric like...
I'll sing to him
Each spring to him
And worship the trousers that cling to him)
*I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TIME IT WAS
*FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE
*I COULD WRITE A BOOK
*THIS CAN'T BE LOVE

And those are just the ones which occur to me right now. In half an hour I'll have a different list.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 07:49:15 AM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2004, 07:48:38 AM »

Oh Dan the Man - yup....uneasy in my easy chair...whew!
With Rodgers beautiful music....whew.

Dynamite collaboration!

I was in a revue Rodgers & Hart: A Celebration as a dancer and it was such a delight!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 07:49:40 AM by JRand53 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up