Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SURREAL DAY  (Read 16617 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SURREAL DAY
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:33:12 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were surreal, and now it is time for you to post until the surreal cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE SURREAL DAY
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:34:15 AM »

And the word of the day is: ENCOMIUM!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 12:44:53 AM »

From last night:  Thanks to Laura, TCB, Jose and Jennifer for the opening night good wishes!! :-*
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:56:10 AM »

Also from yesterday:
Certainly a day filled with sadness.  Almost forgotten in the double deaths today are the early morning photos of an extremely anorexic Courtney Love looking close to death, herself.  Following that the inevitable announcement of the death of Farrah Fawcett.  But then, even before we can start to mourn for Farrah, her story is all but kicked-off the front page by the unexpected death of Michael Jackson.

I remember when Princess Diana died...and then about a week later, Mother Teresa died.  All the news was still about Princess Diana. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 12:57:07 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I'm too tired to think about it all.  I'm going to bed.  It'll be the first time this week that I actually get to bed before 3:00 am.  And that's a good thing.

Have a good day, all!

DAW

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 03:04:21 AM »

DAW

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 03:04:57 AM »

Ben

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 03:55:20 AM »

Here is today's Peanuts from the Archives.

It's not quite the line about "Spaghetti" from yesterday but it's the same intent.

FJL

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 04:54:20 AM »

I'm wondering if the common situation is that the totally unexpected death will tend to draw attention away from one which is in relative terms expected, at least in comparing the Princess Diana media coverage situation to the Michael Jackson media coverage sitiuation.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 05:23:43 AM »

Not sure what I am going to watch or listen to, but I will be learning the ins and outs of my new Mac. There are still things I am not familiar in the operation of the Mac
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 06:22:52 AM »

Good morning, all! This morning is a laundry/mop-the-floors day, and I'm delaying the start of it.  I'll also finish up a BALLET BALLAD today.  I'd like to get a bit of work this weekend on THE MOST HAPPY FELLA Act Three as well, since next weekend will be tied up with Liz Callaway's two charts.

Outside of the laundromat, I have no intentions of going too far from the apartment today and i am very happy about that.

TOD:
   DVD: Malpertuis, 3 Netflix items still staring at me. a couple of operettas from the Morbisch festival
   CD:  Liz Callaway, Guy Haines, L'Auberge du cheval blanc, Kern's THE CABARET GIRL
   VCR: lowest of the low
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 06:27:07 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm not in Central Park, but I did watch the Hair tribe on the Tee-Vee from the comfort of my living room.
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 06:27:46 AM »

DVD-wise, I've got a bunch of possibilities that I could watch this weekend:

BURN NOTICE, Season 2
ENTOURAGE, Season 5
and
A box of F.W. Murnau silent films that he made in Germany, including THE LAST LAUGH and NOSFERATU.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 06:28:29 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Time to get serious about getting ready for NYC!

Media check:  I dragged out my old aerobic dancing cassette and made sure it still works, because I must start exercising and get some weight off.  It does still play, but I was wondering if any DRs have the capability to transfer a cassette tape to CD?

When Richard and I get back from our trips to NYC and Chicago, I'm going to look into some fitness classes/facilities nearby.  And Weight Watchers.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 07:11:44 AM »

I think Michael Jackson has had an Aura of Doom about him for quite some time.  If there is anyone who epitomized the prediction, "will die young", it was him.  Despite his prodigious talent, his mental and physical state has been precarious for years.  And certianly all the drastic and unnecessary reconstructive surgery operations cannot have helped his physical condition. 

The news coverage has already been overwrought and too much.  And what was Keith Olberman...who I generally like...going on about last night?  As they kept showing aerial footage of the coroner's van pulling into the coroner's building, he repeatedly intoned some nonsense about no matter how important or how how high we fly, we all end up this way, as but common clay under a white sheet in a white van enroute to the grave and the worms and trying to draw some great human insight out of it...and then kept throwing it to his guest to comment on, as if there was more to be drawn from the obvious banality of the statement.

It soon became very apparent that the news orgs were just vamping and filling time, interviewing people...often some who had the most peripheral connection to MJ trying to suggest more intimacy than they actually had...who could offer nothing really newsworthy, showing the same clips that showed nothing...like the coroner clip...over and over ad nauseam.  He died...that's the news...now until you have some actual real information on how and why he died, let's press on to some real news....like maybe what's happening in Iran or with Health Care...or maybe a mention of Farrah...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 07:13:53 AM »

Good morning!

Another hot, muggy day in store for us here. Highs in the 90s all weekend. No rain in sight until Monday.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 07:15:51 AM »

Media check:  I dragged out my old aerobic dancing cassette and made sure it still works, because I must start exercising and get some weight off.  It does still play, but I was wondering if any DRs have the capability to transfer a cassette tape to CD?

When Richard and I get back from our trips to NYC and Chicago, I'm going to look into some fitness classes/facilities nearby.  And Weight Watchers.

DR Ginny - Don't forget to pack the sun and rain-free weather!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 07:17:09 AM »

Yes, news "coverage" of Jackson's death is over-the-top, just as I knew it would be. I'm tuning it all out. Once they get to the bottom of his condition, that news will interest me. All the regurgitations of his life and career don't interest me at all. I was there when it was all happening, and I don't need reminders about any of it.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 07:19:45 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - CARNIVAL! (OCR)

DVD - THE PINK PANTHER 2 (Blu-ray)
          SPACEBALLS (Blu-ray)
          ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES (Blu-ray)
          FOR ALL MANKIND (Criterion)

DVR - last night's ROYAL PAINS
         last night's THE FASHION SHOW
         yesterday's THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 07:21:50 AM »

Another rainy day in New York City! I am sick of this crap.

The laundry is in, the floors mopped and the apartment is too disorganized to walk about.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 07:22:17 AM »

My work project today is THE PINK PANTHER 2. Not having seen Steve Martin's first foray at Inspector Clouseau, this will be my introduction to it.

I noticed that one of the bonuses in the set is a disc of PINK PANTHER cartoons. Sadly, they're not in HD. They're pressed onto a regular DVD.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 07:25:21 AM »

On TV TOnight!™

NBC - CHOPPING BLOCK, DATELINE
ABC - SURVIVING SUBURIBIA, THE GOODE FAMILY, 20/20
FOX - VIRTUALITY (two hour series pilot)

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 07:36:50 AM »

I thought YOU'D placed that order, DR Jose!  Honestly, you don't want us to bring SW Ohio's weather, unless you like temps in the 90's and humidity about the same  :P
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 07:43:50 AM »

I'm heading down now a little earlier than usual to get cleaned up for running my Friday errands. I have some extra stops to make today, so I need a little more time today.

WBBL.

DAW

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 07:56:36 AM »

I have to stop drinking and driving...

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 07:59:45 AM »

Poor Farrah...nothing says "show business" like being immediately bumped off the front page for a bigger star story.

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 07:59:49 AM »

Ga-a-a-sp!!!  I just spent about 30 minutes trying out my old aerobic dancing tape and wondering just how did I get so out of shape?

Again, does anyone here have the capability to transfer something from cassette to CD?  Is that even possible, technologically?

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 08:01:07 AM »

Media Check:

DVR: more episodes of MAVERICK

DVD: episodes of the old Rory Calhoun tv show THE TEXAN

CD: Soundtrack to the soon to be released Bollywood movie HEROES.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 08:12:46 AM »

Ga-a-a-sp!!!  I just spent about 30 minutes trying out my old aerobic dancing tape and wondering just how did I get so out of shape?

Again, does anyone here have the capability to transfer something from cassette to CD?  Is that even possible, technologically?

Transferring cassette to CD is possible - basically the same process as transferring an LP to a CD. As long as your cassette player has "audio outs", and you have the right cord and software...

In the meantime...

There are bunch of free exercise podcasts available on iTunes.  And who knows? Maybe your "cassette" is available on iTunes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 08:14:35 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

More WNYC and WQXR...  And WNYC was playing some very non-sleep-inducing music during the overnight hours last night... And since I fell asleep with the radio on... Well... I feel a nap coming on.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up