Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: FERSHLUGANAH  (Read 19325 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: FERSHLUGANAH
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2009, 01:26:56 PM »

I began by watching the first of two new LAW AND ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT episodes that ran last night.

The first guest starred Eric Balfor as a celebrated TV chef whose girl friend is murdered. This was a case with Jeff Goldblum as the lead detective, and it had a very easy solution.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2009, 01:27:09 PM »

Page Five Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »

Next I sped through todays THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Kind of funny: Adam having sex with Rafe (off camera naturally) and after he leaves having to take a shower and have his girl friend come over to have sex with him. I was laughing a lot.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2009, 01:30:34 PM »

I sped through today's ONE LIFE TO LIVE, too, since I knew Kyle was going to be on, and I wanted to get to know the character a bit before that gay storyline starts up.

Many of the same actors are still around from when I watched the show several years ago when Matt Cavanaugh played a gay character for six months or so.

I was surprised how much the actress playing Starr had grown up since I last watched the show. (The character is still a major brat like she always was).

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2009, 01:32:56 PM »

I also had time to watch the second LAW & ORDER: CI episode from last night, this one with Vincent D'Nofrio as lead detective. Raul Esparza was the primary guest star in this one, and again, the big "surprise" was no surprise: the cameraman showed a bit too much nose and too much of the hands for it to take anyone observant by surprise.

However, Raul was very good playing this split personality. I enjoyed his performance.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2009, 01:44:28 PM »

DR JOSE thanks for the Gale NYT link.  Sweet.  Her book is a quick and interesting read. 

A couple of things I remember - she was working in Chicago with Producer Randy Wood on her records - and she said she had never been closer to a man than she was with Randy except for her husband Lee.  She said that she then understood how it happened that people in show business got caught up in relationships, and she quit recording to save her marriage.

She also said when she was going through her worst alcoholic phase, she would hide bottles of whiskey around the house in case she needed.  After she was in recovery and she and her family were moving, the moving men kept finding whiskey bottles she had forgotten about....and she was quite embarrassed.

I admire her for doing what was necessary to save her marriage. 

Funny story about the alcohol.  Gotta give her credit for controlling her addiction.  I greatly admire anyone who can do that.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2009, 01:55:56 PM »

Well, with my worksite still being switched over to the new server/software, my afternoon surf lasted a decidedly shorter amount of time than usual. Guess I can go downstairs and tick off a few more items off my DVR list that are still sitting there waiting to be watched.

WBBL.

DAW

« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »

Does anyone here do Second Life?

I don't.  I can barely keep up with HHW and Facebook.

Jane

« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »

There is a beautiful little bird trying to get into our house.  We need help identifying it.  I'll post a photo or two in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »

We are back from a fun day downtown, which I could not have navigated without having taken DR Jose's 2005 HHW walking tour.  We took the F-train from Rockefeller Center and made our way to

St. Augustine's Church

which we'd read about in the NY Times.

After looking around for a while and sitting on the steps watching the news-hound choppers hovering over the courthouse where the Madoff sentencing was taking place, we began our crosstown walk through Chinatown, Little Italy, and SoHo.  We stopped for a lovely lunch at Novella in LI, where I had a spinazi & mozzarella frittata (spinach & cheese omelet).  That was followed by dessert at Ferrara pasticceria, where we shared a gelato trio (strawberry, chocolate, and pine nut).  We stopped in several SoHo shops, making our way to our destination - Deco Jewels on Thompson St.  I'd read about DJ in Country Living magazine and took some of my mom's and my "vintage" pieces to see if they were saleable.  The owner, Janice (who makes the decisions) wasn't there, but her friend Evan was very nice and fun to talk to.  I'll call Janice tomorrow to see if she thinks a return trip would be worth her time and mine.

After a short wait, we caught a 6th Ave. bus back to midtown.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2009, 02:29:56 PM »

Jose - Thursday at 5 sounds like a good possibility.  Is the curtain at Delacorte at 8?

DR FJL - I was going to respond to the earlier conversations that I'd defer to Jose's insights.  Based on those, this sounds workable for us.  If we see Twelfth Night on Wednesday evening, Richard and I will want to see something here in Times Square on Thursday, and being at your house at 5 would enable us to do that, too.  We're looking forward to seeing you!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2009, 02:32:12 PM »

Well, Ginny. Although I would rather see you and Richard, I'm glad I canceled tomorrow. It's become a very, very busy day. At 1pm I got out of an unscheduled 2 hour meeting and I have another meeting at 3. I have a rehearsal tomorrow morning for the WEDNESDAY presentation and then I have the TUESDAY presentation at 2pm! I can't wait until Thursday

DR Ben, you will definitely deserve a weekend off!  We may stop in at the Center tomorrow to try to exchange my water-logged publication and do some exploring in the Union Square area.

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2009, 02:34:29 PM »

...So, my little corner of the world now has a single guy in his 30s, a single guy in his 40s and me :D

That sounds very promising!

Jane

« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2009, 02:37:14 PM »

Here it is.  We have been searching through our bird books & online & can't find an exact match.

Jane

« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2009, 02:38:16 PM »

It really looks like some kind of Warbler.

Laura

« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2009, 02:44:51 PM »

A yellow-rumped warbler? When it flies away from you, do you see a yellow spot like a pat of butter?
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Ginny

« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »

DR Jane - I think the bird looks like a nuthatch.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2009, 02:47:12 PM »

Yes, surprisingly, the dentist is Dr. Chew.  Soonest I could get in there is two weeks, on the 15th.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »

I went to Jerry's deli and had something I've never had there - or anywhere else for that matter - a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich, which, I must tell you, was faboo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2009, 02:48:22 PM »

All packages have been addresses and are now having postage affixed to them.  They will ship first thing tomorrow morning.

Ginny

« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »

Yes, surprisingly, the dentist is Dr. Chew.  Soonest I could get in there is two weeks, on the 15th.

There's a dentist in Cincinnati who sponsors public radio programming - his name is Dr. Lipps.

Jane

« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2009, 03:06:42 PM »

A yellow-rumped warbler? When it flies away from you, do you see a yellow spot like a pat of butter?

It is amazing, I can now stand right at the window & it will fly back & sit on the edge in front of me.  I was finally able to see a yellow pat as it flew away.  Every photo of a yellow-rumped warbler we looked at had white at the throat instead of yellow.  I've searched some more & found photos with yellow.  This could be it.

Laura

« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2009, 03:11:10 PM »

They are really common out here in the winter. You might have been looking at the "Myrtle" race in the pictures. This one looks like the "Audubon's" race.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Laura

« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »

Disclaimer: Your area is waaaay out of my habitat. So I could certainly be wrong.
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Jane

« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »

To be precise, we have a Yellow-rumped (Audubon's) Warbler.  Audubon specifies it as a Western Yellow-rumped Warbler vs the Eastern Myrtle Warbler. 

This photo from the internet giving us a match.  I wish we had found it sooner.  Thanks DR Laura.

And Thank you DR Ginny for your suggestion.

Laura

« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2009, 03:22:53 PM »

Sometimes we call them "butter-butts."
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Laura

« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2009, 03:23:18 PM »

You took a good picture, Jane.
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Jane

Jane

« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2009, 03:31:20 PM »

Sometimes we call them "butter-butts."

I'll have to look that up.  I didn't see your post explaining the name differences before I posted. 

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2009, 03:31:27 PM »

My new neigbor will have workers there all week.  I don't think it will be too noisy, though. My guess is he's gutting the kitchen over there and probably ripping out carpeting.  He's using the same plumber who messed up my house, but I'm not saying anything because they may be friends.

He definitely lives alone now that his daughter has graduated from college and moved to Boulder, CO.  He told a very touching story about the new car he bought for her.  So, my little corner of the world now has a single guy in his 30s, a single guy in his 40s and me :D

Can I have the one you throw back?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up