Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HERBIE AND LEADVILLE JOHNNY BROWN  (Read 15708 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: HERBIE AND LEADVILLE JOHNNY BROWN
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2009, 08:25:07 AM »

Speak of the devil! The phone just rang and we ARE going to lunch. Just best friend John and I, however. He's leaving work early and taking half a day off, so he won't be going back to work.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2009, 08:25:21 AM »

Page Three Dance!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2009, 08:25:53 AM »

The wonderful actor who played the lover of the murder victim in this week's THE CLOSER is Barrett Foa. He was really special in the part and very, very appealing.

I <heart> Barrett Foa.  When Steve and I saw Avenue Q, we happened to catch Barrett's first night on as Princeton/Rod.  He was wonderful.  And Tobey Maguire was also in the audience that night.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2009, 08:25:58 AM »

Heading down now for a quick bit of spiffing up.

WBBL.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2009, 08:27:07 AM »

The wonderful actor who played the lover of the murder victim in this week's THE CLOSER is Barrett Foa. He was really special in the part and very, very appealing.

I <heart> Barrett Foa.  When Steve and I saw Avenue Q, we happened to catch Barrett's first night on as Princeton/Rod.  He was wonderful.  And Tobey Maguire was also in the audience that night.

I had NO idea he was doing the show, but he'd be great in it. Makes me love him all the more since I adore that brilliant show.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2009, 08:27:35 AM »

And now I'm REALLY going!

;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2009, 08:27:52 AM »

I saw many movie musicals - but didn't really think much about them being on the stage.  But I did see my first musical at age 9 when my uncle took me on a DAY trip to New York, well one night - but an airplane (propellers and all) to see Miss Lucille Ball in WILDCAT.....I stood up for most of the show and the man behind me kept pushing me down by my shoulders.

I thought Lucy was the greatest and funniest thing ever....and I got the cast album and a book and I still have my Playbill.  Miss Ball ran out of the theatre afterwards and everyone was yelling and I was standing in her way and she grabbed my hands really hard and looked at me and said in a voice that sounded like Chill Wills "No autographs today." 

I almost fainted....and still get weak when I think about it.

There have been many musicals since then....but Lucy in WILDCAT was the real theatre to me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2009, 08:28:07 AM »

I think I have told that story before.....here at HHW.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2009, 08:28:36 AM »

You might know that DR JOSE would make friends with the guy who drives an ice cream truck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2009, 08:32:18 AM »

SHOW GIRL arrived at my house today!

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2009, 08:34:25 AM »

For those who may be interested in such DVDs:

Season 3 of Route 66 (vol 1) releases July 21s. Vol. 2 releases in August

Vol. 1 of THE JUDY GARLAND SHOW releases July 28.

THE PATTY DUKE SHOW complete 1st season releases on Sept. 29

And the releases I am most excited about are the Toho films THE H-MAN, MOTHRA, and BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE, all coming to DVD on Aug. 18th.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2009, 08:38:19 AM »

I didn't even know Harve Presnell had died until I read BK's notes this morning.  Of course, our local paper only gave Karl Malden 3 one and half inch brief columns.

Presnell did a lot of interesting straight acting in his later years.  I remember him in THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD ( the moive that sorted began Renee Zelleweger's career) where he turned in an interesting performance as the father of thirties pulp writer, Robert E. Howard -- the author of Conan.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »

Hmmm...

Kathie Lee Gifford just mentioned that "big things" are coming up for Sierra Boggess and Hugh Panaro, but she was not at liberty to tell.  Well...

Since Sierra is already booked for the American premiere company of the Phantom sequel - after having originated Christine in the Vegas production... And since Hugh was a long-running Raoul and Phantom, well... Hmmm...  I wonder what the news could be?

::)

Am I the only one who thinks this Phantom sequel is a really bad idea?

I wouldn't mind seeing THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA GOES HAWAIIAN
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2009, 08:45:18 AM »

Forrest Tucker was a second cousin of my mother's.  They discovered this odd fact after my Dad had a serious heart attack in Las Vegas, and my Mom went down there to be with him while he recovered in the ICU.  I don't know why, but Tucker was there, and had the penthouse suite next to my Mom's and they would see each other quite a bit, got to talking about their backgrounds and discovered the relationship.  My mom thought it hilarious, as she had always loved him in F Troop.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 08:47:22 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »

Thanks Jose.

Treat me kindly when you all speak of me tonight (if you speak of me)

I've been looking for the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck in Union Square but I'll have to wait to see it next week maybe.

Perhaps Show Girl will arrive at my office sometime in the middle of next week. I looked in the mail bin when I arrived this morning and didn't see it.

Laura

« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2009, 09:00:40 AM »

Forrest Tucker was a second cousin of my mother's.  They discovered this odd fact after my Dad had a serious heart attack in Las Vegas, and my Mom went down there to be with him while he recovered in the ICU.  I don't know why, but Tucker was there, and had the penthouse suite next to my Mom's and they would see each other quite a bit, got to talking about their backgrounds and discovered the relationship.  My mom thought it hilarious, as she had always loved him in F Troop.

That's how DRs Megan and Sandra found out they were distant cousins. Well, except they weren't in Las Vegas, no one had a heart attack, and there were no penthouses or ICU involved.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 09:02:39 AM by Laura »
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Kerry

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2009, 09:04:07 AM »

TOD:  First musical was a production of "Oliver!" that combined two high schools, a real stage (with the revolving set) the choruses and orchestras from both schools, so it was a big production.  I was mesmerized!  I saw Professional tours of "Hair" in 1971 and John Raitt in "Carousel."  Mr. Raitt was very nice and autographed my program.  The first Broadway tour I saw though that really knocked my socks off was "No, No Nanette" with Evelyn Keyes doinng the Ruby Keeler part.  I thought I was going to lose it when all the guys came out singing" I Want to Be Happy," and they all went in to the tapdance.  I was in heaven.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2009, 09:04:38 AM »

Thanks Jose.

I've been looking for the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck in Union Square but I'll have to wait to see it next week maybe.

Perhaps Show Girl will arrive at my office sometime in the middle of next week. I looked in the mail bin when I arrived this morning and didn't see it.

I played it smart with SHOW GIRL--I'm having it shipped to home address.  Hopefully, it will be in the mailbox when I get home tonight.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2009, 09:05:19 AM »

That's how DRs Megan and Sandra found out they were distant cousins. Well, except they weren't in Las Vegas, no one had a heart attack, and there were no penthouses or ICU involved.
Sounds exactly the same to me!!
I like boat races.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2009, 09:05:45 AM »

Druxy, regards your enquiry yesterday about how my move from LA was...It's been similar to yours.  Fortunately, I had several old friends here...and several theatre connections, so that helped.

But what I missed and still miss most are people...not places, particularly.  We had a large coterie of  good, long-term friends of all age ranges.  I certainly miss my meals with BK at Musso and Frank, Birds, House of Pies, and Langers.

I miss a lot of my bookstores and Amoeba and, again, Langers' pastrami.  I'm beginning to miss the weather.  After ice storms and too much rain and humidity,  I'd prefer the bland consistency of LA weather.  There is also a perspective you get from having lived in a major world city like LA that is sometimes hard to translate to anyone who has spent most of their life in a very insular environment.

I'm still not sure whatever angst I have has to do with moving or just growing older.  I really hate getting older...A lot of it has to do with all my cultural references and touchstones veering to the peripherary of illrevelancy. Growing up the way we did...with just one or two TVs in the house, only three or four channels and you watched as a family, when top 40 radio could not only include rock records but even Broadway and country cross-overs, there was more interaction between the generations and so cultural lives intermingled too.  The grandparent, parents, and kids all knew and liked Bob Hope or Jack Benny.  Don't get that anymore.   I can look in a National Enquirer these days and not recognize any of the supposed "stars" and "celebrities".  The internet is also changing so much of the way we communicate and do business.  I watch bookstores and CD stores dying and other shops...But I'm rambling...

But we adjust; we adjust...and find new comforts.

Kerry

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2009, 09:05:53 AM »

I'd make friends with the ice cream man!
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2009, 09:06:20 AM »

Thanks Jose.

You're welcome, Ben.

Doug is usually parked at 17th and Union Square West - across the street from the Starbucks, in front of the recently open Prêt-A-Manger (which used to be the still missed Tisserie).  However, according to his Twitter feed right now, due to a street paving projecting going on outside the "depot", the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck as well as some other trucks are trapped in the garage.  -And then he'll be off for the weekend since he'll be playing and getting in some "husband time". :)

*And he's basically driving a Mister Softee Truck serving the usual Mister Softee items plus a few special toppings and treats.  Just look for the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck banner magnetted(?) to the truck.

**His pricing is also interesting: It's $3 for a cone, and $4 for almost anything else. That may seem a little higher than some of the other Mister Softee trucks, however, the $3 and $4 are basically flat-rate prices - toppings are free - and he will even customize shakes and sundaes for you.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2009, 09:09:55 AM »

Pogue, in your Oliver program, Barry Pearl should be listed somewhere - he was on that entire tour.

Kerry

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2009, 09:10:20 AM »

I did get to see Harve Presnell in Las Vegas.  He was a guest star during Debbie Reynolds' show.  She brought him in to fill in for part of the show when she was recovering from a cold and was limiting the amount of singing she was doing.  I was so thrilled to see him after having grown up seeing him in Molly Brown.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2009, 09:10:44 AM »

I'd make friends with the ice cream man!

He's mine, I tell you!!!  ALL MINE!!!!!!

Well...

I'd probably have to clear that with his husband first. But the more the merrier, n'est-ce pas?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2009, 09:11:11 AM »

Noisiest morning in weeks - endless sawing and hammering and yammering and what sounds like throwing wood planks around with gay abandon.  It began promptly at seven and I simply refused to get out of bed.  I fell back asleep for a few minutes a couple of times and then got up about fifteen minutes ago.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2009, 09:11:46 AM »

Partridge Family - that's 137 pounds of me - I was SKINNY.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2009, 09:19:22 AM »

I had NO idea he was doing the show, but he'd be great in it. Makes me love him all the more since I adore that brilliant show.

Well, he was doing the show.  He was originally John Tartaglia's vacation swing/understudy and then eventually took over the role during the second year of the run.

However, if you have the now out-of-print(?) recording of the 2000 off-Broadway Godspell, you can hear him as Jesus.  -And said OCR was released by that label. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2009, 09:21:12 AM »

Oh, and here's Barrett Foa's Website.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2009, 09:21:13 AM »

BK, no Barry Pearl in the cast.  This was November, 1964.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up