Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GAY MADCAP SPRITES  (Read 48381 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:GAY MADCAP SPRITES
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2004, 09:42:11 AM »

...............  Whereas I tore into KRITZER TIME the day after I got it (and am almost done), the thought of reading FARRELL IN LONDON --- especially after hearing a chapter last night where Farrell's partner Tony gets help unloading his luggage from Bill Clinton while Tony is in the Watercloset --- totally turns me off.  Any suggestions on how to keep the friendship without hurting him regarding the books?

Personally, I would prefer to get help from Bill Clinton in the watercloset while Tony unloads the luggage, but, hey, that's just me.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2004, 09:48:06 AM »

Who did Rachel Koloff replace and is she supposed to be doing all five shows or only the one you saw?

Don't know how many shows she'll do.  She replaced Felicia Finley as Magda, the parlormaid.

RLP, if Sondheim's revisted A Little Night Music, Pacific Overtures or Sunday in the Park With George, this is the first I've heard of it.

But as I said, Schwartz is welcome to spend his second decade striving to do a musical on the two Genesis tales.  After that, he can move on to a re-telling of the Pygmalion and Galatea myth set in Edwardian London.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2004, 09:49:01 AM »

I'd be willing to bet money that the musical of Masada will never arrive on Broadway.  Book, music and lyrics by people who've never written book, music and lyrics before.  I don't mean to pre-judge anything, but, post-Miserables, a lot of neophytes have labored under the belief that the more tragic the subject matter, the better the show; it ain't so.

Maybe the authors have now fallen under the influence of the likes of The Producers and Hairspray and will present the story as a madcap romp?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2004, 10:03:08 AM »

I've always been fascinated by suicide - must be where I come from - so I'd go see Masada, the Musical. Tonight, as a matter of fact, I might go to a motion picture theater and see  WILBUR WANTS TO KILL HIMSELF, a British (Scottish?) film that's supposed to be very good.

Well, if it's suicide you want - you must see "Harold and Maude" (1971) with classic performances by Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort. Cort reappears in another stange but wonderful film "Sweet Jane" (1998) - a darker, but emotionally satisfying effort starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt of "Third Rock" fame.

der Brucer (maybe you can write the book for my proposed Jonestown Musical)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2004, 10:03:54 AM »

RLP, if Sondheim's revisted A Little Night Music, Pacific Overtures or Sunday in the Park With George, this is the first I've heard of it.

But he has spent a great deal of effort going back to Merrily We Roll Along and Saturday Night.  

As I see it, the trouble with Sondheim is that he can't seem to say "No"  when approached to any revisioning of his works.  I don't see it as egotistical, but simply because he doesn't want to offend by refusing.  Kind of like the Woody Allen character in Stardust Memories, who constantly allows himself to get roped into every charity event that people pitch his way.

And that concludes today's chapter of "Dan (the Man), Armchair Psychologist"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2004, 10:22:17 AM »

Thanks for the advice so far.  He is a good friend, but he can't take criticism.  

There's your answer. Tell him that you've read the books (once you have), you showed up for the readings, you support his efforts. But as you have negative as well as positive things to say, and knowing him well you KNOW he is sensitive about criticism, you don't feel it's worth the friendship - or worth hurting his feelings -  to critique of the books.   Ask him as a friend to respect your approach to the matter.

Panni

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2004, 10:25:33 AM »

maybe you can write the book for my proposed Jonestown Musical)

...And I bet you'll sell Kool-Aid at intermission.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2004, 10:27:21 AM »

Well, now you shall hear of it!

Pacific Overtures - Sondheim did a significant reworking of "Next" for the English National Opera production (as can be seen from a comparision of the OBC and ENO recordings).

A Little Night Music - Sondheim did a significant  reworking of "The Glamorous Life" for the film, and the reworked version is included as a bonus track on the re-released OBC. He also reworked the lyrics for Babs' version of "Send in the Clowns".

Sunday in the Park with George - Sondheim did a significant rewrite of "Putting It Together" for Babs' Broadway Album.

der Brucer (with thanx to SWW for his collaboration)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2004, 10:27:28 AM »

WILBUR WANTS TO KILL HIMSELF, a British (Scottish?) film that's supposed to be very good.

DR Panni, take me with you!  I'm eager to see it, and I cannnot find where it's playing in Manhattan.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2004, 10:29:43 AM »

der Brucer we shall have to call you Mr. Karp.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2004, 10:30:30 AM »

I have now downloaded the latest beta version of AOL.  Interesting seeing the new bells and whistles before anyone else, but I am sworn to secrecy about them.

Panni

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2004, 10:34:50 AM »

SWEET JANE, I don't know at all, derBrucer. As for HAROLD AND MAUDE, don't tell anybody, but I've never actually seen it. Mea culpa. Don't know why. Must catch up with it. (I've read the script - perhaps in SCENARIO MAGAZINE. Not sure. That was the BEST mag. Published full new and classic scripts with fabulous interviews with writers directors. I have every issue, but I guess they've gone out of business. Too bad.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2004, 10:39:11 AM »

Don't know how many shows she'll do.  She replaced Felicia Finley as Magda, the parlormaid.

But as I said, Schwartz is welcome to spend his second decade striving to do a musical on the two Genesis tales.  After that, he can move on to a re-telling of the Pygmalion and Galatea myth set in Edwardian London.

I think "Follies" and "Into the Woods", even more than the shows Der Brucer cited, speak volumes about Sondheim revisionism running amok.  And he's not alone..."Mack and Mabel" springs to mind as a show that has a lot of fingerprints on it.

As for Schwartz, I'm sure your permission for him to alter his own creation, as well as take on a project that appeals to him, will be appreciated, the facetiousness of the Pygmalion/My Fair Lady reference notwithstanding.  LOL  :)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 11:20:32 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2004, 10:40:26 AM »

On my lunch hour I indulged myself in another set of extravagences, going to Academy CDs where I picked up a copy of Barbara Cook's As Of Today, an album from 1977, a Living Era (British label affiliated w/Pearl) compilation of Gertrude Lawrence, and a Romanovsky and Phillips CD, Be Political, Not Polite, to replace my tape copy which is wearing out. Those are my listening choices for this afternoon at the office.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2004, 10:43:22 AM »

Did anybody else notice what an extraordinary lineup is on TCM today?  Of course, the day's half over, but you still have time to catch a few of these:

6 am:   Captain Blood  (Erroll Flynn and Olivia DeHavilland)
8:         Anna Karenina ( '35 Garbo version)
10:       Bombshell   (Jean Harlow and Franchot Tone)
12 pm: Dinner at Eight  (Everybody)
2:         Little Women ('33 Hepburn version)
4:         San Francisco  (Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, Jeanette MacDonald)
6:         Swing Time   (Many consider this Astaire and Rogers's finest pairing)

Then at 2 am tonight they're showing the rarely-seen GERMAN version of Anna Christie, Greta Garbo's talkie debut, followed by two more Garbo pics, Inspiration (with Robert Montgomery) and As You Desire Me (with Erich VonStroheim).

Holy Cow!!
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2004, 10:45:13 AM »

Better take a nap, Lulu!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2004, 10:47:09 AM »

San Francisco! I love that movie (the city's pretty good, too)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2004, 10:49:59 AM »

And he's not along..."Mack and Mabel" springs to mind as a show that has a lot of fingerprints on it.

And let's face it, Shwartz has also done work to RAGS as well.

But the Stephen's are not alone.  DR RLP points out MACK & MABEL, but there are plenty of other shows that were changed to some degree, great or small, even during their Broadway runs.  WISH YOU WERE HERE, BAKER STREET and even BELLS ARE RINGING all added or dropped material after the critics had their say.  Even DOLLY lost a number for Ambrose after opening.  The tours of SEESAW and THE TAP DANCE KID were significantly different from their NYC counterparts.

They just want to get it right.  Art isn't easy, y'know.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2004, 10:51:55 AM »

I never will forget, Mmmm...Jeanette MacDonald
Just to think of her, it gives my heart a pang
I never will forget, how that brave Jeanette
Just stood there in the ruins and sang, and sang...
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ben

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2004, 10:55:53 AM »

Judy and Jeanette, what a pair.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2004, 11:02:29 AM »

San Francisco! I love that movie (the city's pretty good, too)

I have always blamed Jeanette's high note for "The Big One" (not a Parker Stevenson reference).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 11:03:22 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William E. Lurie

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2004, 11:13:46 AM »

Panni --- Thanks for the advice.  I also have every issue of SCENARIO and they have some of my money for issues never published.  I agree it was a great magazine.  I remember in one of the first issues (it may have been the very first) they printed the original screenplay to NASHVILLE before it was filmed and it was like a different movie.  I guess that there weren't enough readers, although it was very expensive (though worth it) for a magazine, and probably much of its target readership could not afford it.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Emily

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2004, 11:19:21 AM »

OK - Question to all figure skating fans:

What is up with the revival of those one-piece skating suits for men (like the ones worn by Johnny Weir and Emmanuel Sandhu)?  Aren't those just the ugliest, 70s-bad-retro things ever?!?  Completely distracting if you ask me...

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2004, 11:22:09 AM »

They just want to get it right.  Art isn't easy, y'know.

Believe me, I know (!)....that's why I have to reinvent myself, from time to time.

:D

Panni

« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2004, 11:37:24 AM »

Panni --- Thanks for the advice.  I also have every issue of SCENARIO and they have some of my money for issues never published.  

Mine, too, come to think of it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2004, 11:43:55 AM »

While Schwartz has done revisions to Children of Eden, the show he really can't put away is The Baker's Wife.  He's been futzing with that show since its Broadway closing and he's never stopped.

Panni

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2004, 11:45:25 AM »

My Big Pitch Meeting is late this afternoon. (I don't like meetings after 3 - especially on a Friday - because the Execs are tired and just want to go home.) My agent said on the phone just now, "It's all on your shoulders." Great. No pressure.
              I could use major vibes.
Also some gas in my car. Must not forget to gas up or I'll get stuck somewhere in the middle of Coldwater Canyon. Most unseemly.
Note to self: 1. Put fuel in car. 2. Be brilliant at meeting.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2004, 11:56:57 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
LA!   LA!   LA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A!
[/move]

« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 11:58:22 AM by RLP »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2004, 12:03:12 PM »

Mega-vibes to Dear Reader Panni:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ben

« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2004, 12:04:17 PM »

We are two away from page 4 so here goes one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up