Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GAY MADCAP SPRITES  (Read 48410 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:GAY MADCAP SPRITES
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2004, 01:47:46 PM »

I'm so glad to be off the laptop with the screen that gives me eyestrain and the mouse that sticks.  And believe it or not, I had Radiohead blaring at me.  We have two guys here cleaning our house and Keith was playing Radiohead for them.  Our younger son is a big fan.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2004, 01:53:23 PM »

In my CD player: Arthur and Friends: The First Almost Real Not Live CD.
In the VCR: Red Dwarf TIMESLIDES.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2004, 01:53:25 PM »

Topic of the Day:
CD players: Peter Brocklehurst "Boots And All"
                    George Harrison: "Brainwashed"
                    The Carpenters: "Passage"
                     Grace Knight: "Stormy Weather"
                     Vince Jones: "For All Colours"
DVD: Next viewing will probably be "Whale Rider".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2004, 01:55:16 PM »

der Brucer, I have no idea what any of this means!?

You're not the only one. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2004, 01:57:12 PM »

Baker's Wife didn't make it in, even with Paul Sorvino?

When I did Baker's Wife, we, in the cast, all loved the show, and the music, and the themes; but the audiences hated the show, not the production, just the show.  I don't know how to explain it.  To this day, people come up to me and tell me how much they enjoyed my performance in Baker's Wife, but they always add, "But why did you guys ever produce that God-awful show?"
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2004, 02:01:46 PM »

I am now home and listening to another cd compilation from DR Elmore3003 who was aghast, aghast I say, that I couldn't name any favorite Rodgers and Hart songs last week so he put together many samples for me to hear....all of a vintage variety (thank you Larry!) sung by people such as Doris Day, Jessie Mathews, Nelson Eddy, and (well blow me down with a feather!) another of my favorite singers...Mr. Dick Foran! Some of you may remember Dick Foran for his many films at Universal in the 1940s including THE MUMMY'S HAND, THE MUMMY'S TOMB, and HORROR ISLAND and RIDE EM COWBOY...well, he can sing even better then he can act! What a voice!

td

• td
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2004, 02:01:59 PM »

RLP, if Sondheim's revisted A Little Night Music, Pacific Overtures or Sunday in the Park With George, this is the first I've heard of it.

"The Glamorous Life" as written for the film can now be used in stage productions of ALNM.  
"My Husband the Pig" has also been used in stage productions of ALNM.
"Silly People" keeps turning up like a bad penny in stage productions of ALNM.

Sondheim contributed changes to PACIFIC OVERTURES recently, as did Weidman.

You're probably right about SitPwG, though.  Why tamper with perfection?

;)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2004, 02:02:10 PM »

Today's issue of VARIETY has a special section saluting the GLAAD MEDIA AWARDS. (Our heading du jour is terribly au courant.). One of the articles has capsule story lines of films coming out and about to come out  - how apt! - with gay-related themes. One that makes me shudder, BTW, is a Janis Joplin biopic starring... Renee Zellweger.
What I'm noticing in these little outlines is that quite a few of the films are about men pretending to be gay in order to win a girl. ("College freshman goes after his dreamgirl by playing gay.") Could someone kindly explain to me how this works in the real world?  ???
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 02:03:05 PM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2004, 02:04:19 PM »

Are you only interested in picking bones, or is there something you wish to say?

I misspoke: the lyricist of Masada has written one musical which has never played New York.  If somebody here has seen Hot Shoe Shuffle, I'd love to hear about it.

Stephen Schwartz, in the 1980's, had one musical on Broadway (Rags) after his 1970's musicals ran up more performances than anyone else's in New York.  I think that's a shame.  Guess others disagree.
Working ran on Broadway.  Der Brucer remembers seeing it there.  It is listed as such on the OCR, for which BK supervised the CD reissue, and it is included in Steven Suskin's book More Opening Nights on Broadway, pages 982-986.

The problem, Noel, is that you misspeak so constantly, and that the rest of us have to step in and correct your mistakes.

Recently, you gave a list of composers and lyricists who, other than Tessori, have not had their work produced on Broadway or much of anyplace else, bemoaning how they are not getting the attention that Brown, Guittel, LaChuisa and Larson have received.  Now, you're knocking another lyricist because he has not been on Broadway (or New York City) as yet.  You can't have it both ways, Noel!  People who are not in your circle of friends deserve success, too.  

The touring production of Hot Shoe Shuffle is a worthy credit; that Goldsmith's work on Masada with Levy and Berenbeim will be playing at a major regional theater such as Chicago's Ford Center for the Performing Arts is another worthy credit.  Maybe it won't get to Broadway, but instead receive productions in regional theaters nationwide, possibly worldwide.  I certainly hope so; the project sounds interesting, and I'd like to see it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2004, 02:05:07 PM »

I thought "The Baker's Wife" to be so dull. There is no tension. The score is so beautiful but the show is lifeless.
The production I saw had great performers and performances but the audience could just as well have gone to sleep. You just don't care about the characters anyway. I listen to the the Cd quite often - but not the Patti Lupone version!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2004, 02:07:02 PM »

Jane - thanks for the g.v. to Rachel. She's feeling better - stomach okay, but still "spacey."

As for the Hungarian marzipan. In the pack I got, the Swiss marzipan was much better. But, that's a limited sample, of course.

td

• td
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2004, 02:10:36 PM »

What I don't like about THE BAKER'S WIFE is the book's concentration on the villagers. . .take MOST HAPPY FELLA, there, the village is a part of the action, BUT, Loesser took the time to make the most of the interesting leading characters within.  I'd like THE BAKER'S WIFE a lot better with a heavier concentration on the three leads.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2004, 02:11:17 PM »

Johnny Weir is a lithe and lyrical skater. His style is beautiful and his jumps very light yet secure. He doesn't have a quad yet, but he has everything else. I really don't care what kinds of costumes he wears. He is what he is.

RLP wrote: "Plushenko has huge popularity and there was no outraged booing from the stands, but for all the "artistry" Plushenko is thought to have, and despite the fact that he fell when the other two did not, he was bettered "twice" in the final competition, but he was "given" better marks."

Which is why I didn't watch it last night and which is why I often don't watch the world championships if I know in advance (like I did yesterday) what the results were and how they were arrived at. The judging system in skating is corrupt, and it's so unfair that I can't tolerate it. Even the new system which may be in place by next year the the worlds isn't foolproof against stacking the deck for your favorites.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2004, 02:11:18 PM »

Did you know:
1.  BK hates marzipan?
2.  td loves marzipan?

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2004, 02:16:08 PM »

I saw CHILDREN IN EDEN a couple of years ago in the professional summer theater series run here in town, and I have to say I didn't care for it. It was, however, very popular with the public, and I believe every performance of the two week run was sold out. Word of mouth sold it obviously because it doesn't have any kind of name recognition outside of theater circles.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2004, 02:26:39 PM »

I am now home and listening to another cd compilation from DR Elmore3003 who was aghast, aghast I say, that I couldn't name any favorite Rodgers and Hart songs last week so he put together many samples for me to hear...

Aghast?  I was appalled! I was agog!  Good songs, aren't they?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2004, 02:50:02 PM »

Did you know:
1.  BK hates marzipan?
2.  td loves marzipan?
1. Yes
2. No or I forgot

I don't care for Italian marzipan.  Do you like it?

Jane

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2004, 02:52:35 PM »

Robin, good luck at the scrabble tournament.  Let us know how you do.  And have fun at the cabin.

DerBrucer and Bruce-nice picture, but now I want chocolate cake.
The ranch is beautiful.

RLP, I won’t feel bad now if I don’t get around to watching my TIVOed skating championships.  I will just read your posts. :)

Panni you must see HAROLD AND MAUDE.  I should watch it again to see if I’m still of the same opinion.  

Emily-YES!  Not as witty as RLP & others post, but a definite YES, very ugly & silly looking.

Dan (the Man)-those hands are great.

Matt H, yes the skating comes first but the costumes & music do make a big difference in my viewing pleasure.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2004, 03:02:02 PM »

RLP, I won’t feel bad now if I don’t get around to watching my TIVOed skating championships.  I will just read your posts. :)

Matt H, yes the skating comes first but the costumes & music do make a big difference in my viewing pleasure.

Jane -- NO-O-O-O-O-O! You MUST watch the skating...the pairs are phenomenal...BOTH Chinese teams plus the Russians who won skated unbelievably beautiful programs.  It's light years ahead of anything I've ever seen before.

The men's competition -- Dick Button said it's probably the BEST he's ever seen. UNBELIEVABLE skating from the top 3 finishes, plus Johnny Weir's excellent, promising performance!

You won't be sorry you watched.

And I agree -- a costume can really make a difference.  I know I feel better when I'm wearing something I know looks good on me!  I can't help but believe a skater must be given a little boost to know that he or she looks really good!  I think Weir needs someone with better taste to dress him, that's all.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2004, 03:05:32 PM »

I HATE marzipan.  

I, myself, have corrected my friend Noel, but he never seems to acknowledge the corrections or come back and post a followup.  One should be prepared to say "Oops (spoo) I was wrong" or to defend their position (nicely, of course).  That is my two centavos, amigos, for whatever they are worth.  What are centavos worth anyway?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2004, 03:06:27 PM »

Bad allergy day - even the Claritin D is not working as it has been.  Very windy here, which I'm sure is exacerbating the problem.  Exacerbating, do you hear me?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2004, 03:16:19 PM »

Welcome 14 GUESTS.  Join us, it's ever so much fun.

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2004, 03:17:48 PM »

Another example of skating's deck stacking: I won't say specifics because I don't want to ruin any surprises, but something controversial happened today during the ladies' short program that affected Michelle Kwan's overall marks. Maddening.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2004, 03:26:51 PM »

There are now seven reviews up on amazon, all of them lovely.  Keep 'em coming.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 03:27:12 PM by bk »

Panni

« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2004, 03:27:42 PM »

I'm so glad there's no marzipan related cure for allegies or bk would be in a quandary.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2004, 03:44:37 PM »

I thinking I know what caused the confusion a few posts back between Noel and der Brucer.  WORKING did run on Broadway, but it was in 1978, several years before RAGS.   Noel was talking about Schwartz musicals in the 80s.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2004, 04:00:18 PM »

I misspoke: the lyricist of Masada has written one musical which has never played New York.  If somebody here has seen Hot Shoe Shuffle, I'd love to hear about it.

Stephen Schwartz, in the 1980's, had one musical on Broadway (Rags) after his 1970's musicals ran up more performances than anyone else's in New York.  I think that's a shame.

I thank DR WEL for clearing up the confusion.

The problem, Noel, is that you misspeak so constantly, and that the rest of us have to step in and correct your mistakes.

Earlier I admitted I was wrong in stating that Masada's lyricist had never written a musical before.  As BK points out, his credits are a little dubious, mentioning lyrics for films but not stating that these films were never produced.  

Recently, you gave a list of composers and lyricists who, other than Tessori, have not had their work produced on Broadway or much of anyplace else, bemoaning how they are not getting the attention that Brown, Guittel, LaChuisa and Larson have received.  Now, you're knocking another lyricist because he has not been on Broadway (or New York City) as yet.  You can't have it both ways, Noel!  People who are not in your circle of friends deserve success, too.

When did I say Masada didn't deserve success?  While my own taste is not for the overly tragic kind of musical, I wish the Masada team every success.  I never knocked the lyricist; I know nothing of his work.  I expressed doubt (in fact, I said I'd put money on it) that this show would come to Broadway.  Writers such as Buck, Curry and Fell & Moore can't seem to get their work on Broadway - which I think is a shame.  Hell, even Adam Guettel's yet to make it to the big street.  What are you correcting, again?

This sort of nitpicking is to be expected at ratm, not the friendliest place on the internet.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2004, 04:12:04 PM »

Let us not pick nits.  No picking of nits here at haineshisway.com.  We won't even pick Brits, let along Nits.  Soon, I will be at Musso and Frank with dear reader Pogue and I will be happy I tell you, happy.  In the meantime, let us not pick nits.  Nits picked to bits cause me to have fits.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2004, 04:16:43 PM »

Pogue is up to madcap sprite clavicals in work.  You work on something for a year and half, honing and weighing and meticulously crafting, getting it ready for production and as soon as it's greenlit...there is insane flurry of pre-production activity where everything is second-guessed or changed or they find it doesn't meet the budget and all the finely-crafted work is being altered by rapid-fire decisions and they want re-writes yesterday and you're the only one holding onto the continuity and line of everything in your mind.

So Pogue must prioritize.  If he is to play with Kimmel tonight, he must give Kimmel's message boards and the HHW gang short today.  Bye, everyone have a good weekend.  I'll be writing.  Try to stop in.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2004, 04:39:37 PM »

Echo is home, not too happy but doing well.  She had three growths & multiple ticks removed.  Her teeth are now pearly white.  Biopsies will be done on two of the growths.  We expect the results will be fine but I won’t completely relax until then.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up