Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE AMAZING DISCOVERY  (Read 19278 times)

Ginny

Re: THE AMAZING DISCOVERY
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2009, 08:27:51 AM »

YIKES, DR Vixmom!  Please, please take care of yourself!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2009, 08:31:23 AM »

BK, it is interesting to read about you watching LOST now.

The other day you mentioned that you didn't know how people could watch it every week with the commercials.

I'm sure watching it on dvd is convenient and appealing. But i believe most of us record it on our TIVOs/DVRs/PVRs and don't watch the commercials.

Hopefully by January you will be caught up and can watch and comment with us!

MBarnum

« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2009, 08:41:50 AM »

DR Vixmom, don't scare us like that! Please take care!!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2009, 08:44:55 AM »

And vibes to Elmore, I hope the excercises work. That pain you are dealing with just sounds terrible and I feel for you. I wish I could be there to assist.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2009, 08:46:04 AM »

I don't understand why bk is compelled to release a 2 CD set at a single CD price.       ???

As he said in his column, it's because the composer is not well-known and he wants people to buy it. 

I don't know how much of a bump he would need.  I'd certainly think $5 more for a 2-CD set would not throw anyone off, but most 2-CD sets seem to go for $29.95 nowadays, so it's a crap shoot.

One thing in his favor, though:  When the Varese Sarabande club released its gargantuan 6-CD Goldsmith set, the set vanished in a matter of days even though three of the CDs were material most buyers already owned.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:20:29 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2009, 08:49:13 AM »

My thought would be release the unreleased mono version with the songs and the other title. Forget about the re-recorded version of the score. It would make it more attractive to buy and (I know you won't care) the people on the other board won't complain.

Oh, yes they will.  If they don't complain that the LP stereo mix wasn't included, they'll find something else to bitch about.  They ALWAYS do.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2009, 10:05:04 AM »

DR Vixmom--OY!

You definitely need to reconsider your work environment.  But until then, you could try some new stress coping skills.  Can you check with your physician to approve some meditation classes? (Of course, then it would be up to you to make the time to take the classes.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Laura

« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2009, 10:06:44 AM »

I think the employees don't all need to quit -- I think they need to hire more employees.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2009, 10:18:35 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, as I started to pack, a bit of my OCD-tendencies kicked in, and I started putting away some of the music books I had taken off my shelves over the past couple of weeks.  Of course, I had to put them back in proper alphabetical order... In any case...

Now that that's done, I can finish getting ready for my quick trip down to Virginia this weekend.  And since it will be a quick trip, I don't need - nor should - pack that much to take with me.  So...

Laters....
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2009, 10:53:01 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, as I started to pack, a bit of my OCD-tendencies kicked in, and I started putting away some of the music books I had taken off my shelves over the past couple of weeks.  Of course, I had to put them back in proper alphabetical order... In any case...

Now that that's done, I can finish getting ready for my quick trip down to Virginia this weekend.  And since it will be a quick trip, I don't need - nor should - pack that much to take with me.  So...

Laters....

DR Jose, have a safe and wonderful trip!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2009, 10:54:36 AM »

I just finished proofing a number for "It was Long Ago" from LIFE BEGINS AT 8:40. It was an ordeal because of the number of wrong notes and stupid errors. It was like a Finale job I would do, and I'm wondering if the copyist farmed it out to his wife, who is notorious for her poor copy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2009, 10:56:34 AM »

I am in trouble this weekend: all of my support team is out of town. I will have to cope on my own. Oy!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2009, 11:07:21 AM »

THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL was exciting today! We not only almost had a wedding but we got to see footage of the aging couple before their poor face lifts.

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2009, 11:14:03 AM »

DR JRand, thank you for commenting on the Scotty Morrow interview that DR George was nice enough to put a link to.

Of couse, now whether "interesting" was a positive or negative, I am unsure...but at least I know someone on HHW read it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2009, 11:15:04 AM »

I haven't stopped since waking up at eight-thirty (no noise today at all - even though they appear to be working).  I woke up having made my decision, after watching the film that this soundtrack is from last night.  I'm going ahead with the two CD set because it's just too good and too important not to.  And we'll keep the price at 19.98, which will hopefully make it a must-have for people who may have this one score already and think that that's enough for them (I'm telling you, once you've heard the original film tracks, you will never ever listen to the rerecording again).  Even if I wanted to leave off the stereo album I still couldn't make it one CD, because the film tracks run close to fifty-three minutes, and Lord Love A Duck is twenty-eight minutes and I won't press a CD over eighty minutes (I usually won't go over seventy-eight, because they don't guarantee the discs then). 

So, it's a two CD set.  And since the composer is a particular favorite of mine and since this is one of his finest scores (and one of its themes is a precursor to what would become his most well-known movie theme - and by well-known I mean in the pantheon of well-known).  I'm very excited.  I retitled about five of the tracks so they'd reflect what's happening in the film, and I had to edit together a track the way they did in the film - and the master will hopefully be ready and sent on Monday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2009, 11:15:37 AM »

And that's what I've been doing all morning (plus the two-mile jog).  Now I have to go return some tapes to the vault.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2009, 11:42:24 AM »

My package arrived.  Aside from THE SOLOIST, it also contains:

I LOVE YOU, MAN
DOLLHOUSE, Season 1
PRISON BREAK: THE FINAL BREAK
OBSESSED
The Elvis performances from the Ed Sullivan Show.

So, I have plenty to watch this weekend.
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »

Just returned some tapes to the vault, and shall now start writing liner notes. 

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »

The storms look like they are inching closer and closer to the city.  I think I will make my way out of here a little earlier than usual so I can at least get over to Jersey side before they hit.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2009, 12:46:31 PM »

Did I miss an announcement, or is this a Hefti two-fer?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »

In which case, is it Harlow, and, if so, JR will buy 1000 copies, no problem.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

td

• td
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2009, 01:14:28 PM »

HEALTH VIBES FOR ALL WHAT"S AILING

You and Larry are at the top of my vibes list.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2009, 01:17:26 PM »

DR Elmore,

Hope you can feel better soon.

I didn't like  CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC either, but I had to finish it since I was reviewing it. In reading other reviews, I note a good many people found more to like about it than I did.

I loved CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC when i saw it in the theatres. And i wasn't expecting to love it since i love the books and the movies usually don't do the books justice.

Even though there were a lot of changes from the first book, I think it's possible to like the movie (if you love the books).

I think this movie is a chick flick. A fun romantic comedy, but definitely aimed at women.

It may have been aimed at women, but if it's a good movie, it should have some kind of universal appeal. I ADORED THE DEVIL WERS PRADA and that was every bit a "ckick flick" as SHOPAHOLIC. But one was well directed with superb performances and a plot and characters we hadn't seen before. SHOPAHOLIC was cliched, dumb, and predictable.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2009, 01:22:32 PM »

I didn't have much trouble at all at the grocery store getting around and getting things in and out of the cart. I was lucky that the store wasn't really very crowded, and I got a very convenient close parking space, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2009, 01:24:07 PM »

While I ate lunch, I watched last night's THE MENTALIST rerun. This was another one where Patrick uses his "gifts" quite a bit during the show, and I just love those episodes. I remembered the episode, but I enjoyed seeing it again nevertheless.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2009, 01:27:31 PM »

I began my fun day of leisure viewing with an episode of MURDER SHE WROTE. Taking place in British Columbia, Jessica was investigating the dead of an ex-cop and a mining engineer whom he was blackmailing. I had never seen it before, and I didn't figure out the murderer. The clues offered were really limp ones, and I'm not sure it really played fair with the audience in giving us a chance to guess the killer's identity. However, by season 10, the writing was definitely beginning to suffer on MURDER SHE WROTE anyway. None of the cases thus far are nearly as good as the best ones from the early seasons of the show.

Oscar nominee Graham Greene was the most well known of the guest stars.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2009, 01:30:11 PM »

Next I watched the remainder of SHADOW OF THE THIN MAN. I think I forgot to mention last night that I had started rewatching this wonderful THIN MAN movie (the fourth in the series), but only got 2/3 of the way through last night before I stopped it so I could pick up with BURN NOTICE.

I really enjoy this THIN MAN (though ANOTHER THIN MAN remains my favorite mystery in the series), and I think this is the first time I had watched it on my "new" equipment. It looked really good.

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »

Then I started GREASE on Blu-ray, but I only got to "Beauty School Dropout" so I'll pick up there when I go back down. The transfer looks very nice. Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio has a nice range, but the soundtrack is definitely a thing of its era.

The cast has always looked too old for their roles, but in high def, Stockard Channing REALLY looks like everyone's mother.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2009, 01:33:38 PM »

With the remaining time, I scanned through today's THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS, but even though Adam was on, there was nothing really of interest to me.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2009, 01:34:35 PM »

I also skimmed through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing of interest, and the boys weren't in the previews for next week either.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up