Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SOUND OF ONE JEW SNEEZING  (Read 30286 times)

Emily

Re:THE SOUND OF ONE JEW SNEEZING
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2004, 01:38:09 PM »

Okay... I have been smitten with an e-crush on DR Charles Pogue and his ab-fab library! :D

My cherished past pet = Mittens the Cat.  Mittens was your basic farm cat tabby whom my parents adopted several years before I was born from a friend who was moving to England and didn't want to put the cat through the painful experience that is the required English animal quarantining.  Mittens lived until a ripe old 21 and was perfect.  He was friendly and patient with all of we young children (read: annoyances) who would make any other cat get scratchy with us in seconds.  He was an accomplished hunter, but would only go after the nuisance animals - like rats and mice - and never birds.  His best trait was that when you were petting him and he got particularly happy, he'd stick his cute tiny pink tongue out of mouth.  We had to put him down eventually because he went almost completely blind and became incontinent.  Poor Mittens. :(

On a happier note, I am going sugaring off tonight with my family and some friends (including DR Andrea who continues to lurk on HHW).  I will report on the eatings tomorrow!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2004, 01:39:22 PM »

Dear esteemed BK: I think I know why your allergies are acting up more this year than usual.  

There were a number of fires in SoCal during the summer and fall last year, particularly in the hills and deserts.  And, as you yourself have noted, there has been a fair amount of rain...or just enough to do the trick.

What has happened is that the fires triggered a number of seeds, the sort that need the heat of the fires to spring to life.  The rains, in turn, finished the germination process.  As you can expect, the pollens from these fireweeds can be particularly potent.  Swirl them around with some good gusty winds (coming in from the desert, right?), and you and several others have major allergy attacks.

In this case, Claritin D and other over-the-counter medications aren't going to be strong enough.  I'd suggest breaking down and seeing a doctor, rather than spend all your time suffering.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Emily

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2004, 01:39:50 PM »

Third Page Dance:
[/b]
 [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*[/move]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 01:40:11 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2004, 01:42:57 PM »

Love the dance, DR Emily!  I'm also loving all the stories today.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Laura II

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2004, 01:44:27 PM »

I truly enjoy all of the pet stories! I've never had a pet. My dad had a dog named Cesar, but my mom never had anything. She and her siblings were always told, "You have two pets already--your brother and your sister" (or "your two sisters"). Of course, my grandparents were kidding, but still. It never bothered my mom because she is obsessed with cleanliness, and pets make messes and shed. My uncle was afraid of dogs (and still is) after an incident with a dog approaching him when he was in a stroller. Those obsessions/fears have transferred to my brother and me. I am obsessed with neatness, and my bro is extremely afraid of dogs. I'm not a fan of big dogs myself--my old neighbor used to have a doberman pinscher, and I went to feed it. The problem was it was larger than I was, and I was afraid it would bite my hand off.  So, yeah, no pets here, not even fish. You know, one time I won a fish at some fair, but I chickened out and gave it away. I was in Philly at the time, and all I could think of was, "Mom is not going to like this!" I gave the fish away. Yeah, so basically I've never had any pets, but I've grown to appreciate animals little by little. I LOVE yorkies, and I want to own one! :)

Uncle Woody, my neighbors have a dachshund named Jack, and he is the most wonderful dog I have ever met. I love him!

TD, I am SO happy that your parents are doing well!!! :D

Vibes to everyone who needs them! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2004, 01:48:19 PM »

DR Swishy: Your story made me teary.  Someone should have hit that kid over the head with a baseball bat.

Btw, the season finale of Sex & The City finally aired here.  I'm not sure if DR Emily has seen it yet.  But I was a bit disappointed. There was something I REALLY wanted to happen that DID NOT :(

Oh and DR Panni, I thought you were gonna tell us who WON the Apprentice :(

« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 01:50:04 PM by Jennifer »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2004, 01:56:03 PM »

Oh and DR Panni, I thought you were gonna tell us who WON the Apprentice :(

Sorry, Jennifer, I have no idea. I've never seen it (except for 5 minutes once.)

SWW - What a lovely story! And I'm glad it had (sort of) a happy ending. Shortz lived to a ripe old age. Hurray!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2004, 02:11:01 PM »

Gonna try posting another pic.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of hotspur on my computer, but here is one of Humbug, who followed Hotspur sitting in Harlan Ellison's lap on our back balcony.

Panni

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2004, 02:11:54 PM »

I'm not being fair to Katie, the dog we had before the present wonderdog. Katie was a sweet golden Lab. I got her when we first moved to California (the last time). Rachel was five and very afraid of dogs because she had been bitten twice in the year we lived in Vancouver. I wanted her to get over the fear by bringing the gentlest possible dog into the house. And that was Katie.
Just one story about her. For some reason Katie was a bit of a woos. Perhaps because she was the runt of the litter - I don't know. But she was easily frightened and would hide at loud sounds, anything out of the ordinary. But she loved Rachel with a boundless passion.
During the last big earthquake - 1994 - our house in Woodland Hills was not badly damaged, but a number on the block came right off their foundations. The aftershocks were pretty intense and there was no electricity, so we decided for the first couple of nights to camp out in the living room. There was a one piece Japanese coffee table in there that would have taken the roof falling on it and not been damaged. So Rachel slept under the coffee table and her father and I slept on couches on either side of it. Katie slept under the table with Rachel, her head on Rachel's behind.
No matter how strong an aftershock hit, Katie did not budge. The earth would shake, horrible sounds would fill the room, but the Cowardly Lion of dogs would simply look up and move closer to Rachel to protect her. That was really the one and only time in her life that she was brave - but it was enough.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 02:14:27 PM by Panni »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2004, 02:27:45 PM »

The Afghan hound that belonged to our friend, Dick, had puppies - 11 of them. Dick was exhausted (the Afghan mom had 6 nipples for 11 pups, so Dick was up nights helping with the shift work). We took two of the pups with the idea that we'd help find them homes. So that we wouldn't get attached, we called the female Bitch, and the male Pooch.

We found a good home for Bitch, but always found an excuse for not putting Pooch up for adoption. He wasn't the brightest dog, and he wasn't the most obedient. Once he took off during a late night walk. I found him the next dawn. The sun was streaming down on him as he slept peacefully in the middle of the road.

We had a cat, Hilda. The two animals were neither friends nor enemies. Each had its own space.

A neighbor brought home his guard dog from the factory, and the dog came into our yard and violently attacked Hilda. The vet said there was serious muscle damage. Hilda dropped to three pounds and wasn't responding to any treatment. After several days, the vet said Hilda's only hope was to return to her home environment. She was heavily bandaged, had to be fed diluted Gerber's strained beef through an eye dropper, and was confined to a small cage.

Pooch spent his days and nights next to Hilda's cage, his nosed pressed as closely to Hilda as possible. He left her side reluctantly, only for the bare necessities. When, several weeks later we brought a healthy Hilda back to the vet's for a checkup, the doctor was absolutely shocked that she had recovered.

Both Pooch and Hilda went on to live full, happy lives.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 02:29:37 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Tomovoz

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2004, 02:40:01 PM »

There is a lot to be said about the companions (human) of the pets that have been mentioned today. How to tug at the heart strings without the slightest hint of manipulative, emotive writing. A great topic BK for a world that at times seems to be so lacking in love. It's not really surprising that such stories come from the hearts of Kimlets.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2004, 02:50:43 PM »

If the above photo is too big again (and once more, it has shown up bigger here than it did when I brought it up on my computer. I'm utterly confused) someone please re-size it and BK, you can remove this.  The story of Humbug:  She was found the November after Hotspur died.  We did not want another dog at this point in our life.  But it was fate.  I had come home from an event an unplanned way I never come...and there she was, standing in the middle of the road in the rain, thin as rail (9lbs) anemic because the fleas crawling over her had sucked her dry and wheezing...on death's door...staring vacantly in our headlights. A collar, no tags.  Clearly abandoned.  What are you going to do?

I got out of the car, got an old blanket from the trunk, wrapped her in it, and Julieanne held her in her lap when we took her home.  We put her in the laundry room, tried to get her to eat and drink, she wouldn't.  A trip to the Valley to an all-night emergency room.  We did not know whether she would live out the night.  They thought maybe she was six months.  And weren't sure what the wheezing was.  She survived the night. I had to pick her up the next morning around seven (after a $200 bill), because they don't keep them during the day and take her to our vet.  They thought her closer to two years.  It turned out the wheezing was caused by a punctured thoraxic cavity.  They kept her for a week to ten days, filled her with drugs, got her on solid food again. She was something of a medical miracle for them (and the vet has used her case in conferences...they always thought of her as the miracle dog).  And slowly on the road to recovery to where she could come home.  And, unfortunately, like it or not, we were now her home.  You save her life, she's yours.  Besides which we had spent two thousand dollars on her.  She owed us.  We called her Humbug (Humbug Fezziwig) because we had planned to go back to Ky. for Christmas and we weren't sure she wasn't going to ruin the holiday for us and make it a humbug.  Also because when we found her she was full of 'bugs" and she was "humming" from the puncture.  In fact, at night when she slept, the wheezing got so loud, we had to make a decision whether we could actually put up with it.  We decided we could...and ultimately didn't have to, because as she healed and gained weight, the wheezing went away.  She came into the house with some reluctance because Julieanne, though a sucker for animal waifs and orphans, was not ready to transfer her allegiance from the recently departed Hotspur over to this interloper.  I wasn't delighted with the bind the critter had put me in, but when I finally brought her home from the vet several weeks later and she walked down the steps from the drive onto the patio to the front door of this house she had only been in briefly once like she'd been doing it for years and it was her home, my heart went out to her.  She became fierce defender of home and hearth, as I found out a few days later when some plumbers were doing some work in the yard and she went barking against the glass door at them.

We went on our Christmas vacation.  We boarded her at the vet's which became her home away from home.  She and Cully both love the vets and were adored and spoiled creatures whenever kept there.  

She also wormed her way into Julieanne's heart, but she more or less became my dog, sleeping in my office on the couch while I worked (Cully has always been undisputedly Julieanne's. He 's up there sleeping by thre front door right now expecting her home.  He's still got a couple of days to wait).  There was always her mysterious past which we could never fathom and she could be tetchy and crotchedy at times when touched the wrong way and you never touched her while she slept (unlike Cully who is an old lump).  She never licked.  But she'd crawl on your chest and lay there with her nose practically against your own and stare at you.  Though there was always a wild streak in her, she became the sweetest, gentlest thing.  When Cully came into our lives a few years later, she let him know the pecking order, though they were great pals too.  Both sleeping on the bed.  She never quite knew what to make of the arrival of Mosby the Grey Ghost...our cat...and he delighted in taking swipes at her, much to her consternation.  Sometimes you'd hear her whimpering at the bottom of the steps.  It was because she wanted to go up, but saw the cat lurking at the head of the stairs, laying in wait for her.  After having her nine years, she passed on very quickly (within a week) struck by a blood count problem...white cells, red cells, I never understood it (I think her constitution was always a bit delicate) and we had to put her down.  Almost as wrenching as Spur. We think she was a full-blood English cocker, but can't be sure.  

Again, the picture is her in Harlan Ellison's lap on our back balcony.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2004, 03:06:00 PM »

The pic is too big, but I'll leave it until someone can resize.

Panni

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2004, 03:11:59 PM »

All these sad stories... Somebody tell a joke already!

Panni

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2004, 03:18:11 PM »

I'm really not a cat person (sorry all you cat lovers -- this is more about me than cats. They're fine creatures, but not for me.) I don't know if it's karma of catma or what... But, in my present home I seem to have become the den mother of at least four cats who come into the yard regularly (one lives in the yard) and look to me to feed them. They also meow under my window at all hours of the night. Oh well... You goes where life leads ya.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2004, 03:30:00 PM »

We're off to see the Wizard...

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2004, 03:31:34 PM »

Mush, dammit!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2004, 03:40:51 PM »

Gonna try posting another pic.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of Hotspur on my computer, but here is one of Humbug, who followed Hotspur sitting in Harlan Ellison's lap on our back balcony.
Somehow, it goes without saying that Harlan Ellison would use a Trivial Pursuit box as a backing for a crossword puzzle...to be done in ink, of course.  And that Humbug would be patient enough to put up with that kind of behavior.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2004, 03:46:07 PM »

We're off to see the Wizard...

I think I prefer this pic.  Now to con der Brucer into linking it in as my regular photo.

And yes, the foursome have me totally wrapped up in their leashes.  Don't they always?  That's Mikey and Buster in front, Bonnie close behind, with Marty in back.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2004, 03:49:29 PM »

Danged if we don't have some of the best storytellers at this site!  We need to have storytelling days more often; the quantity may be down, but the quality is way up there!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2004, 04:02:34 PM »

If someone isn't going to resize Pogue's pic then we'd better get to the next page pronto, Tonto.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2004, 04:05:55 PM »

Panni your story is at least as bad.  Thank goodness you didn’t find out until later, but did you have to be told at all?  

Thank you for noticing my achievement.  Now I’m working toward the same success over the treatment I received from my sister throughout my life up until last year.

I’m enjoying the pet stories and would, if it didn’t take so long, comment on every one of them.  I especially enjoyed reading about Hotspur.  After all he had a book dedicated to him.

TCB I hope you did not read about Shortz.  SWW really had me crying.

Panni you are obviously a softie and if you ever had an indoor cat like Gaea, or my Bogie who reminds me of Gaea, you would become a cat lover.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2004, 04:08:14 PM »

I ate an artichoke with butter and then a tuna sandwich on low-carb bread.  Jeans and a Benjamin Kritzer t-shirt.

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2004, 04:12:46 PM »

A post to get us off this page. I hope!

Today I am listening to the music of Andre Gagnon. I blame Canada.  I love "Comme Au Premier Jour".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2004, 04:12:47 PM »

Somewhat related to the topic of the day:  I will be seeing Mr. William Finn's Elegies this evening at the soon-to-be-demolished Canon Theatre in the Hills of Beverly.  One of the songs in the cycle (I know it only from the CD at this point) that never fails to brings tears to my eyes is "My Dog," a laughter-through-the-tears paean to the series of dogs in, I assume, Mr. Finn's life.

For those who care, the cast of this five-performances-only event is comprised of Mr. Brian Beacock, Mr. Stephen Bogardus, Miss Celia Keenan-Bolger, Mr. Keith Byron Kirk and Miss Maureen McGovern.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2004, 04:15:58 PM »

Pehaps we can list Pet songs to get us to the new page.
I don't mean the songs by Pet Clark.
"I Love My Dog" Cat Stevens
"Walking My Cat Named Dog" Norma Tenega
"Old Shep"
"The Cat In The Window" - Petula Clark
"The Puppy Song" Mary Hopkin
James Thurber 1957

Jay

« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2004, 04:22:56 PM »

I have returned, obviously, from the Mae West symposium.  Kevin Thomas from the L.A. Times was a no show, unfortunately, as I have to believe that his presence would have brought some objectivity to the love-fest that I witnessed.  Certainly, both gentlemen who did appear were charming and they did have some great anecdotes about Miss West.  But at one point, when they mentioned Myra Breckinridge and Sextette and inferred that Miss West's contributions to these movies were perfectly acceptable performances in perfectly acceptable films, I longed for someone else on the stage to bring things into perspective.

Jay

« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2004, 04:24:31 PM »

Here's my song title contribution to help us get to the next page:

"How Much is that Doggie in the Window?"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 04:24:54 PM by Jay »

Jay

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2004, 04:25:40 PM »

Another:

"You Ain't Nothin' But a Hound Dog!"

Jay

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2004, 04:26:56 PM »

Only one more post needed.  Who'd like the honor?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up