Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SOUND OF ONE JEW SNEEZING  (Read 30284 times)

td

• td
Re:THE SOUND OF ONE JEW SNEEZING
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2004, 04:36:58 PM »

I'll take it.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2004, 05:10:51 PM »

Thank goodness! Who says size doesn't matter?

td

• td
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2004, 05:12:14 PM »

When I was an infant, (bring it on, TCB!) we had a BOXER named Duke (after John Wayne) who wanted to sleep with me in my crib.  He went to a good home.
Then there was Tiny, the DACSHUND, who joined the family not long after Duke left.  Tiny was black, completely, and had every bit as much energy as a one-year-old toddlin', baby boy.  Tiny stayed with us for a very, very long time - even through a move to the house we live in now.  
Joining Tiny after the move, was a stray HEINZ-57, whom due to her coloring, we called Taffy.  Taffy was a stray who was pregnant, so I got to witness the birth of eight adorble GERMAN SHEPHERD + WHO KNOWS WHAT pups.  Taffy become an outdoor dog, skilled in the fine art of guardianship.  What I remember most about Taffy, though, was her diet:  table scraps (including vegetables) cooked up into corn meal mush.  I can't even eat a corn meal muffin without thoughts of Taffy.   Both Taffy and Tiny lived to ripe old ages, and died of natural causes.
Then came the CHIHUAHUA phase - one short-haired named Cinderella, the other a white long-haired named Gypsy - obviously the CHIHUAHUA phase came into play roughly at the same time as the show-queen phase.  yappy little things that they are, they are still one of the most loyal animals. . .Gypsy even liked to sing. . .a lot!
Somewhere down the road, I decided I wanted a cat.  I got to pick out a kitten at a flower shop, who turned into Miss Kitty (yep, named for Amanda Blake), who later in life gave birth to a litter of six-toed cats.  Among those in that litter, I kept a male, who was tiger-striped and amber-eyed, whom I named Algernon.  (See, the flower shop does mean something in the long run). I was in high school, and while getting off the bus one day, found Miss Kitty lying peacefully in the front yard, but, twas not really the end of Miss Kitty, for we adopted the daughter of one of Miss Kitty's six-toed litter, who became known as Chita (you can place the year by CHICAGO).  Now Chita was a very independent creature, and only later in her life did she become a people-cat.  Chita wandered off thirteen years ago at a ripe old age.
During Chita's stay, we also had two other cats - an orange tabby named Roxy (after Miss Hart) and the fruit of Roxy, now named Rocky, and Chita's union, a midnight ebony named Valentino.  All of the cats were indoor/outdoor creatures, and would scratch at the screen doors to be let in or out according to their whims.  It would seem to me that cats have a longer life span than dogs, for, while those cats were in existence, there were three other dogs. . .
Dog number one was a POODLE-BEAGLE mix, from a stray that I found in a log in the woods in the back of our house with her six puppies. . . .The mother was pure beagle, and she and the remaining five pups were taken to an animal shelter once the beagle became used to my daily visits with food and milk.  
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] * * * GET OUT YOUR HANDKERCHIEFS TIME * * *[/move]
Lady, after a long life, developed cancerous cysts and had to be put down.
A trip to the animal shelter yielded a BORDER COLLIE + TERRIER mix, splotched all over in blacks, whites and reds; Patches was her name and she became the first dog to cling to me as master.  Despite being an indoor dog, she loved to be outside playing frisbee, fetch and racing round the yard.   Patches was not more than seven years old when she suddenly developed epilepsy.  Even with the strongest medicines going, she continued on downward spiral towards the inevitable.  On a Saturday morning, I was awakened by the sound of her yipping and scratching on the floor outside of my room.  I run to her, and held her in my arms in an attempt to calm her down.   Gradually, she did, but would just as quickly return to a seizure state.  This became the first time that I personally took a dog to its veteranarian and stayed by her side as she softly left this world.
The third, and current dog, all the Hainsies and Kimlets already know to be the thirteen-year-old Siberian, Minx Anastasia; who has enjoyed hearing about all the other pets today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2004, 05:13:08 PM »

I'm in a Claritin Haze but my nose has stopped running and is now walking.  Trying to decide whether to buzz over to the Auntie Mame screening.  We shall see.

td

• td
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2004, 05:13:54 PM »

Thank goodness! Who says size doesn't matter?

Thanks, I needed that.

Panni

« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2004, 05:17:30 PM »

Panni your story is at least as bad.  Thank goodness you didn’t find out until later, but did you have to be told at all?

Yes, that did bother me enormously. I wish I hadn't been told. And I was told not in the way of a confession, weighing heavy on the heart for years. No, it was told as a funny story from the past. And my mother couldn't understand why I was upset.

Panni

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2004, 05:26:28 PM »

This is great. Cheaper by far than a shrink.
...And then Herr Doktor Hainsies von Kimlet, my mother fed me me my pet rabbit!

To be fair to my mother, I'd only had my bunny for a day -- my cousin Eva, now a doctor in Hungary,  also had a bunny - we both got bunnies as a present - and she was also fed hers. (Her mother was in on it, I suppose.) I'm not sure she knows and I don't think I'll tell her! Hope HHW isn't read in Budapest.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2004, 05:36:19 PM »

haineshisway.com is read the world over by one and all and also all and one.  It is read from Maine to Baltimore, from France to the Hawaii, from the UK to the USSR.  I feel that soon we will be the most popular site on all the Internet.

Jennifer

« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2004, 05:39:52 PM »

OMG, I don't like that bunny story!

td

• td
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2004, 05:49:06 PM »

It makes me sad, too. . . .think of how Thumper would feel.  :'(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2004, 05:50:37 PM »

Just got the new Direct TV guide, and there are some really good movies on next month, many of which are not on DVD.  

Danise

« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2004, 05:50:38 PM »

So Bruce, if your nose runs, do your feet smell?   :)

I said I was going to veg today but I didn't.  I went to the local Walmart and bought the dogs some goodies/food.  Picked up a few odds and ends for the trip.  How many suitcases am I allowed on the plane?  I don't know how I'm going to manage with fewer than 5 at this point!  I'm joking (Am I?).  

I've enjoyed reading all the wonderful dog stories but some brought a tear to my eye.   :'(  One of the reasons I can't share mine with you.  I remember the good times but don't want to remember the day of parting.  

WOW is all I have to say about DR Charles Pogue's library!  I am truely impressed.  And filled with envy.  I would LOVE to  have half the books you have (and the room).  

I can't remember if I said anything about finding a diet drink called "Diet Rite".  I found  a case of it last night when I did the grocery shopping.  It's made with Splenda and is honestly good.  Zero carbs, caffeine and sodium free.

Tech question.   The IPAQ HP Pocket PC.  It has pocket Windows Explorer on it.  If I want to use that on the road to check in here or maybe just send an e-mail to someone to post here for me, how do I make it work?  I bought a 56k modem on E-bay that should work with it and a wireless keyboard.  I just set up  the keyboard and it works like a charm!  What ISP works with the pocket PC?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Lastly, I meant to ask last night.  Was talking to someone at work and they told me that Linda Blair had passed away.  I hadn't heard that.  I checked on the web and couldn't find anything about it.  Even the "official" fan club site didn't say anything.  I think my friend was wrong.  Was she?  Has anyone here heard anything?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2004, 05:51:42 PM »

I have excellent feet and it so happens they never smell.  Even people who hate feet like my feet.  I've got foot testimonials.

Panni

« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2004, 05:58:46 PM »

Jane - Still in the shrink mode - I've been thinking about the bunny story - and here's something for you - I was told, as was my cousin - that the cat next-door ate the bunnies. (Sorry, everybody!) I was too young to realize that cats don't do such things. Hence - I have never trusted cats.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2004, 06:06:51 PM »

Methinks Panni better hie herself to a therapist very soon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2004, 06:08:19 PM »

Since we're sharing our bookrooms, here's one wall of mine.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2004, 06:09:15 PM »

And another wall:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2004, 06:10:20 PM »

And another, this mostly filled with first edition plays (the other walls are first edition fiction)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2004, 06:12:42 PM »

So many walls....so many books....so little time.....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2004, 06:13:39 PM »

Humm, not built backwards like some of us then?  I know I can't hear correctly unless I have my glasses on.  ;D

I forgot to say what else I did today.  I took the dogs for a walk and I mowed the grass.  Both the back and front yard.  Blew the patio off, did some edging and trimming.  Then I watered all the plants.  

No sign of baby four o'clocks yet.  But it has only been a week.  My Michael Crawford rose bush has a bud on it! Yay!  I guess it made it through the winter alright.  I'll be sure to snap a picture of it when it blooms.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2004, 06:15:29 PM »

Arrgggh!  I didn't see the book room pictures before I posted.  Geez.  I have book room envy.  I have pea GREEN book room envy.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

td

• td
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2004, 06:28:23 PM »

You're not the only one with book envy; although I believe mine is a case of shelf envy. . .i still have boxes of books awaiting to be aput on a shelving unit. . . .

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2004, 06:42:26 PM »

I'm going off to see Auntie Mame.  Keep the home fries burning and I'll be back at ten-thirty to have a posting frenzy and catch up on all the excellent posts.

Danise

« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2004, 06:50:43 PM »

One order, burnt fries coming up!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2004, 07:09:24 PM »

Jane - Still in the shrink mode - I've been thinking about the bunny story - and here's something for you - I was told, as was my cousin - that the cat next-door ate the bunnies. (Sorry, everybody!) I was too young to realize that cats don't do such things. Hence - I have never trusted cats.

That could do it.  Due to some frightning experiences I was very afraid of large dogs as I child.  To overcome my fear I became rather good at understanding body language-dogs that is.  I'm not so good with people.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2004, 07:16:10 PM »

Actually, all of my books aren't in the library.  I have three book cases in my office filled with reference/research books...like encyclopedias, dictionaries, literary/historical reference texts.  And then out in the TV room is where I keep all the movie history/film bios for ready reference.  My wife has four large book shelves of psychology books, her faery tale collections, and other odds and ends.  And then scattered around the living-room are various stacks of coffee table type books.  You're never stuck for something to read or thumb through in this house.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 07:17:29 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2004, 07:24:01 PM »

I have been rather down since Echo’s return yesterday.  We hate putting her through these surgeries.  Today I snuck out & walked in our beautiful park, along Ashland Creek, where dogs aren’t allowed.  I felt terribly guilty & sad through the first half of the walk, until those endorphins kicked in.  Keith & I went to a new, new for us, restaurant in town tonight.  After an excellent meal, lovely ambiance & great music I’m feeling much better.  The 12 year old scotch I treated myself to didn’t hurt.  During dinner we talked of Belle.  So in fairness to Belle I must tell you about her. I will be back.

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2004, 07:26:12 PM »

Just returned from my grandneice's (boy that makes me sound old) 2nd birthday. Little Taylor is of course the light of Uncle Mike's life! It was so much fun and there were soooo many people there (lots of my nephew and his wife's former college pals) and it was a packed house!

And all of these pet stories are wonderful! It warms my heart that we all are such animal lovers. I come from a family of hunters so I have pretty much been the only person in my family, until recently, that loved to see animals alive! LOL! But as everyone get's older they are discovering the joys of pet owning.

Here is a fun shot of Taylor and Monkey Mike a.k.a. Unky Mike and Taylor playing with my nephew's dog Tahoe last summer in the swimming pool.

MBarnum

« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2004, 07:28:32 PM »

Jane and Panni, your rather tragic stories of former pets sort of tugged at my heart strings. Funny how parents can sometimes really do things that would seem rather cruel, but they just don't realize it!

Jane I am glad you are feeling better. Your devotion to Echo is so wonderful..and of course Echo is such a great dog. You need to post some more photos of him!

Jennifer

« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2004, 07:35:31 PM »

DR Danise: Don't all diet soft drinks have 0 carbs?

DR Panni, interesting story about why you would dislike cats.  I've never been a huge fan of big dogs.  And now I think it's cause when I was in school, I used to have to walk past this house (on the way home from the bus).  They had a big black dog which was not on a leash.  The dog would either sit in the garage or sometimes it would come out and run up to me barking wildly.  I was scared to death.  I still do not know why I never went to the owners to ask them to keep their big black dog from running onto the street to scare little girls.  But I never did!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 07:38:14 PM by Jennifer »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up