Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: APT  (Read 48359 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: APT
« Reply #210 on: August 14, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »

I hope that MATTH, ELMORE, and JMK had a better day today.

I did, thanks! Still have a lot of soreness but no sharp, devastating pain like the last few days.

:D  May you continue to improve!!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #211 on: August 14, 2009, 07:20:19 PM »

On ATWT, Luke and Lily got devastating news, and I had tears in my eyes for much of the show. Very good acting today from Van.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #212 on: August 14, 2009, 07:20:54 PM »

Sordid Lives, the television series, coming to DVD soon!

Cool!  I missed it when it was on Logo.

George, aren't you supposed to be on your way to Seattle for your date with Mr. Wopat?

I can't believe that I forgot to post about it, but we went Wednesday!  Rob just called me up and said, "How about tonight?"  He didn't get tickets on-line and the discount code that he got from his friend who was in the show expired last week, so we had to pay full price. :-\ We got tickets in the upper balcony for $46, but we were able to move a little closer, so we were right behind the aisle that separated the lower and upper sections...there no one in front of us.

DR George - You went last Wednesday?!?!  And... ???

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #213 on: August 14, 2009, 07:21:58 PM »

On OLTL, Fish and Layla had a "successful" evening, and Cristian in a cut off t-shirt was about the best looking man I've seen in some time.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #214 on: August 14, 2009, 07:22:17 PM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And if it weren't for the cops pulling people over almost every 15 minutes last night, I probably would have gotten a more decent night's sleep.  -My bedroom is on the street-side of the apartment, so the briefs bouts of sirens and the "christmas lights" were a bit distracting.  Sadly, I believe the reason for the extra police presence last night was due to the fact that an 8-year old boy was accidentally killed by a taxi just a couple of blocks from my 'hood yesterday.  And there was also some sort of police investigation going on in the 125th Street subway station yesterday afternoon, that ended up "express-ing" the trains for a couple of hours.

Oh, it is Jose! I thought that Sidney Poitier had joined HHW.

Well.. Guess who's coming to dinner?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: August 14, 2009, 07:23:07 PM »

Then I watched four more NCIS episodes. There was one more on disc five (and it contains a commentary so I'll have to go through it twice), but I just couldn't watch anything more tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: August 14, 2009, 07:24:45 PM »

Well, that's not entirely true. I did watch the bonus featurette on disc five which detailed the location shooting on an episode that involved several of the regulars riding horses in rugged terrain.

I have five more episodes plus a commentary and two more bonus featurettes. I should be able to be finished with the set by this time tomorrow night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: August 14, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »

Very difficult early evening.  I am truly done with BS, and I don't mean Barbara Stanwyck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #218 on: August 14, 2009, 07:30:03 PM »

I don't know if I can concentrate enough to finish The Ninth Gate, but I shall try, oh, yes, I shall try.  And I shall try to take the high road even though I don't want to.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #219 on: August 14, 2009, 07:36:35 PM »

I am ready for my 5 episode guest shot on Mad Men. I play the Mike, the bachelor  male personel assistant.

DR MBarnum - Actually, I just received this from wardrobe...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #220 on: August 14, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »

My memory is that Ruth Hossack of Hossack's Jewelry and Records had turned me on to Jonathan and Darlene because I had bought every Anna Russell recording she had in stock - I'm still missing one and the CDs are incomplete - and I was raving about Mrs Miller to her.

I liked Ruth Hossack a lot, even though we were poles apart politically. She was crazy, a John Birch Society member, ultra-conservative, hater of anti-war protestors and blacks, yet we talked records, releases, and repertoire, and she clearly liked me because she was very generous in her discounts to meand even hired me the summer of 1970 to work the store. She had gotten so enormous that she spent her days in the apartment above the shop drinking gin and spending a lot of time in the tub because the water relieved the pressures her avoirdupois subjected her skeletal frame to. We had few customers during the day and an enormous stock that collectors from all over the country purchased, so she wopuld call me on the phone and tell me stories about record salesmen, artists she'd met, how she lost 100 lbs on a diet of shrimp and gin, and other matters.

Her husband was a wonderful jeweler and a very kind and patient man.

Now, Larry, how can you tell us stories like this without your memoirs being closely behind?

Maybe I'm getting myself warmed up!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #221 on: August 14, 2009, 07:39:47 PM »

DR JOSE do you know a pianist named Matthew Gianforte?

DR Jrand - I don't believe I do.  Should I?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #222 on: August 14, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »

Feel better wishes to all who've been down these past days and weeks.

I'm heading down now to get ready for bed.

Good night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: August 14, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »

Glad to read that various and sundried DRs have been having better, less-painful days today.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #224 on: August 14, 2009, 07:42:24 PM »

George, aren't you supposed to be on your way to Seattle for your date with Mr. Wopat?

I can't believe that I forgot to post about it, but we went Wednesday!  Rob just called me up and said, "How about tonight?"  He didn't get tickets on-line and the discount code that he got from his friend who was in the show expired last week, so we had to pay full price. :-\ We got tickets in the upper balcony for $46, but we were able to move a little closer, so we were right behind the aisle that separated the lower and upper sections...there no one in front of us.

Well, it was pretty good.  For the most part, the performers were very good.  The woman playing Frank's mother has a great voice, but her French accent leaves a little to be desired.  Aaron Tveit was great and really carried the show well.  Norbert Leo Butz was great as Hanratty (especially after what happened to his sister :'().  He has a lot of patter songs and can spit out the words like anything.  Tom Wopat sounded great and sings the only song that I had heard before seeing the show, "Fifty Checks," (which is on his new solo CD that was being sold in the lobby, as was Kerry Butler's CD).  I really enjoyed the music.  It all seemed very much in the 1960s style and very catchy.  Some songs were better than others.  My friend Rob thought that there were about six or seven really good songs and the rest were okay, but I really enjoyed the whole score. 

I neither saw the movie nor read the book, so I don't know what was missing, but the book seemed to be a little disjointed...but just a little.  And at the top of the show, it starts with the NBC peacock on the giant screens (like the recent Sunday in the Park With George) like it's going to be a TV special on the life of Frank Abagnale, Jr., but then abandons the concept.  Nothing else about it is mentioned for the rest of the show.

Overall, I'm certainly glad I went, but the concensus of what I was hearing during intermission and after the show was that it was good, but not great...yet.  It still needs a little work, but could definitely be worth it. :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:47:45 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #225 on: August 14, 2009, 07:42:47 PM »

Just my 2¢.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2009, 07:43:43 PM »

I watched a part of the BBC series FALLEN ANGEL and decided I would rather read the books by andrew Taylor, which I will order from Amazon. Then I watched a ghost story from the SHADES OF DARKNESS anthology, "The Lady's Maid's Bell" based on one of Edith Wharton's ghost stories. I thought the tv version made more sense thatn Miss Wharton's tale, which I read about two weeks ago. There were some creepy moments, but the creepiest BBC ghost story I've ever seen is THE WOMAN IN BLACK, and that's really frightening.

So, i think I will have some tea and a little snack before I go to bed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: August 14, 2009, 07:45:29 PM »

Well, it was pretty good.  For the most part, the performers were very good.  The woman playing Frank's mother has a great voice, but her French accent leaves a little to be desired.  Aaron Tveit was great and really carried the show well.  Norbert Leo Butz was great as Hanratty.  He has a lot of patter songs and can spit out the words like anything.  Tom Wopat sounded great and sings the only song that I had heard before seeing the show, "Fifty Checks," (which is on his new solo CD that was being sold in the lobby, as was Kerry Butler's CD).  I really enjoyed the music.  It all seemed very much in the 1960s style and very catchy.  Some songs were better than others.  My friend Rob thought that there were about six or seven really good songs and the rest were okay, but I really enjoyed the whole score. 

I neither saw the movie nor read the book, so I don't know what was missing, but the book seemed to be a little disjointed...but just a little.  And at the top of the show, it starts with the NBC peacock on the giant screens (like the recent Sunday in the Park With George) like it's going to be a TV special on the life of Frank Abagnale, Jr., but then abandons the concept.  Nothing else about it is mentioned for the rest of the show.

Overall, I'm certainly glad I went, but the concensus of what I was hearing during intermission and after the show was that it was good, but not great...yet.  It still needs a little work, but could definitely be worth it. :)

Is that horrible bitch Margo Lion producing it?

Jane

« Reply #228 on: August 14, 2009, 07:46:52 PM »

DR George, I enjoyed reading your 2¢.

Ginny

« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2009, 07:47:38 PM »

Thank you to DRs Jane and TCB for your wishes for my brother-in-law John.  I'd hoped that the quietness of the day was a good sign, but it was just the opposite and we've just come from the hospital.  Without going into a lot of detail, I'd like to ask for vibes and prayers for strength for his family and comfort for him.  This weekend is not going to be easy.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #230 on: August 14, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »

Is that horrible bitch Margo Lion producing it?

According to the program:
"PRODUCED BY SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT WITH MARGO LION AND HAL LUFTIG"

::)

George

« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »

DR George, I enjoyed reading your 2¢.

Thanks. :)

George

« Reply #232 on: August 14, 2009, 08:03:09 PM »

And now...it's time to go home (homes) try and figure out how I'm going to handle seven cats. :P

Until later!

Jane

« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2009, 08:11:23 PM »

DR Ginny, sigh.

Vibes and prayers for strength for his/your family and comfort for him!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #234 on: August 14, 2009, 08:11:54 PM »

Well... These are just too too fun.  ;)

Guess who?  (I hope)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2009, 08:12:52 PM »

And... :)

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2009, 08:14:30 PM »

And now...it's time to go home (homes) try and figure out how I'm going to handle seven cats. :P

Didn't Hercules have to do that too?
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2009, 08:20:51 PM »

When did Haagen Dazs reduce its pint size to 14 ounces (charging the same price as the old pint. of course)

FJL

« Reply #238 on: August 14, 2009, 08:21:20 PM »

Milestone congrats to Druxy and to TCB

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #239 on: August 14, 2009, 08:32:08 PM »

When did Haagen Dazs reduce its pint size to 14 ounces (charging the same price as the old pint. of course)

And have you noticed how much smaller a "half gallon" of Breyer's and Edy's have become?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up