Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE VODKA CRUST  (Read 45715 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE VODKA CRUST
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 10:28:02 PM »

However, should any DRs like to make a "vodka crust", here's the original recipe that started it all back in 2007.  It was developed in the kitchens of "Cook's Illustrated" magazine.

Foolproof Pie Dough
- makes one 9-inch double-crust pie -

The trick to this pie crust is the inclusion of vodka. Eighty-proof vodka, which is 60 percent water and 40 percent alcohol, adds moistness to the dough without aiding in gluten formation since gluten doesn't form in ethanol. Although the recipe includes 8 tablespoons of liquid, the alcohol vaporizes during baking, resulting in a tender crust that only contains 6 1/2 tablespoons of water. Because of the extra liquid, the dough will be moister than most standard pie doughs and will require up to 1/4 cup more flour.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon table salt
2 tablespoons sugar
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into 4 pieces
1/4 cup cold vodka
1/4 cup cold water

Procedure
1. Process 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogeneous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.

2. Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing
down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 10:31:09 PM »

PAGE TWO VODKA DANCE!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »

Thanks for sharing the recipe, DR JoseSPiano!!     :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 10:56:52 PM »

You're very welcome, DR DAW.

*And once the dough is chilled, you basically treat it like any other pie dough.  The original recipe it was a paired with was a blueberry pie.  It was baked at 400 degrees for the first 30 minutes, then 350 for the remaining 30-40 minutes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 11:00:33 PM »

OK...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 11:26:57 PM »

Loved the pictures of the NYC get-together!  Will there be more?? ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:40:19 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 11:28:12 PM »

Did I miss the Two's Company dvd,  I thought I emailed bk for a copy.  Maybe I just starred at the signed poster on the wall and thought I did.

Me, too.  I'd still love a copy of the "Two's Company" DVD...if it's possible (and of course, after BK gets back to California). :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 11:39:59 PM »

I'm off to bed.  I have a meeting at 10:00 and I MUST be there!  Actually, it's some kind of ergonomic training and I just want to get it out of the way.  Everyone has to go to one of two sessions. 

So, good night, all!

DAW

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 02:44:22 AM »

Did I miss the Two's Company dvd,  I thought I emailed bk for a copy.  Maybe I just starred at the signed poster on the wall and thought I did.

Me, too.  I'd still love a copy of the "Two's Company" DVD...if it's possible (and of course, after BK gets back to California). :)

Me, three.  Is that what we signed up for?  Or was it the "Sean & Kevin" Show?

DAW

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 03:02:11 AM »

I couldn't understand why everyone was laughing at me when I showed up in my Halloween costume...

DAW

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 03:14:08 AM »

Jerry likes my corn.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 04:33:43 AM »

Sounds like the HHW party was the place to be. 

DR Sam, an HHW gathering is always the place to be! This is the best social group in the world.

Good morning, all! I slept quite well, with a ton of strange dreams about working on a production of CANDIDE starrng my friend Bill Burden who plays Candide for a lot of opera companies. I think Kim Criswell was in the dream as the Old Lady, too.

Today, I begin at the McGlinnventory till around 1 or 1:30. After that, hopefully off to Local 802 for a recording check, and then over to the Lyceum Theatre and the Shubert Archive to examine some original orchestra parts from Life Begins At 8:40.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 04:35:34 AM »

I couldn't understand why everyone was laughing at me when I showed up in my Halloween costume...

You dildo!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DAW

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009, 04:37:35 AM »

What a lovely cool summer morning for a dog walk!!!!

Ruminating about doggie depth perception.  It must be good, right?  I mean, you see all these amazing dogs making stunning frisbee catches, etc., etc.  And yet...

When a cat crosses the street well ahead of us, I notice that Zach usually starts "looking" for said cat about three driveways too early.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:43:01 AM by DAW »

DAW

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009, 04:38:08 AM »

Why DR elmore3003 - you say the sweetest things!!     :D       ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:42:02 AM by DAW »

Kerry

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 04:44:13 AM »

Glutens for all!  On the house!
I like boat races.

DAW

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 04:48:27 AM »

Glutens for all!  On the house!

Does that include flapjacks??       :)

Kerry

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 04:48:53 AM »

Not much sleep tonight, so I already took one load of stuff-- (mainly clothes) over to the new house.
In awhile, I will be moving wonderful things like my box of 45's and my Voice of Music portable phonograph with the special wide 45 adapter spindle.   You have to plug the thing in and turn it one for awhile to let the tubes warm up.  But then again, I'm about the same age as the phonograph, and I don't work as well until my tubes warm up!
I like boat races.

DAW

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 04:49:49 AM »

DR elmore3003, don't miss THIS interesting article in today's New York Times about musical length and time perception in opera!

Kerry

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 04:53:43 AM »

TOD:  My grandmother's rhubarb pie.  A close second id Marie Callender;'s rhubarb pie ( the rhubarb is tart and not overly sweetened).

DR Laura's Apple pie, MusicGuy's apple pie.  I used to make a decent apple pie with an orange peel glaze on top that was quite nice.  I think I learned that from Julia Child.  I'm not a big apple pie fan or really much of a pie person (I'm a Cake man), so you know these pies have to be good!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2009, 04:56:05 AM »

Everyone looks great!

I agree-- an outstandingly attractive group of lovely people!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2009, 04:57:25 AM »

I don't know, DAW.  It's YOU!
I like boat races.

DAW

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2009, 04:57:56 AM »

TOD:

Can't remember specifically the best pie I ever ate.  There was a place near where I used to work that made a pretty mean Chocolate Cream pie.

But my favorite flavor of pie, hands down, is strawberry rhubarb.  The combination of tangy sour and sweet can't be beat!!!       :)

DAW

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2009, 04:58:39 AM »

Thank you, DR Kerry.         ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2009, 04:59:16 AM »

I dropped my big announcement at last night's event, and here's the news for everyone who could not be there. I will be working on the Broadway revival of FINIAN'S RAINBOW as the orchestrator for the  adjustments being made for the production. I love Rob Berman, the musical director, and I'm very honored to be asked to work on the show. I loved it at Encores!

Ben

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2009, 05:27:12 AM »

I'm here at the office.

Ben

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2009, 05:27:40 AM »

Congrats (again) to Larry on FINIAN'S RAINBOW!!!

Ben

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2009, 05:31:01 AM »

I had a wonderful time last night. I had to leave early because I was fading and I had to get to the office this morning.

For those of you not there last night (and for those of you who didn't hear), I (along with 32 other employees) have been offered Early Retirement!

Yes, the FC is having a difficult time and they are looking for ways to trim costs. Although they won't lose me just yet. I can't afford to take early retirement. I'll take my chances with involuntary terminations after the early retirement is figured out.

I can only go one day at a time right now and see what each morning brings.

Ben

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2009, 05:32:38 AM »

It was wonderful to see the beautiful Deb (VixMom)and Vick(y)(ie) (I don't know how she spells it  :() and Tom/Rodzinski. Oh, yes and the lovely Julie. We are quite a group.

Ben

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2009, 05:33:28 AM »

The pie last night was amazing! Topped off with Häagen-Dazs Vanilla Ice Cream it was a wonderful way to end the meal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up