Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN WALTZ TIME  (Read 20048 times)

Michael

Re: NOTES IN WALTZ TIME
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2009, 07:22:40 AM »

A high school in 2008 did the Shriner's Ballet. You'd think a HS would do the ballet if it was unPC?  There are about 10 other videos that show cased the number
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2009, 07:24:03 AM »

Now I'm off to Alex Rybeck's and then to Toyland.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2009, 07:24:04 AM »

I haven't watched the TV-movie of BYE BYE BIRDIE in a long time. Jason Alexander is SO miscast that it's painful to watch, but much about it is good, and in general I prefer it to the 1963 film. I'm not in a BIRDIE mood, so I won't pluck that off the shelf to watch today, but I may put that thought in reserve for a time when I am in the mood for that musical.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2009, 07:25:39 AM »

A high school in 2008 did the Shriner's Ballet. You'd think a HS would do the ballet if it was unPC?  There are about 10 other videos that show cased the number

We went through all this tsuris on castrecl about a week ago. They've cut the number; maybe she can't dance it. maybe Bobby Longbottom didn't want to stage it. It's out.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2009, 07:25:44 AM »

PAGE THREE DANCE

To celebrate here is Chita Rivera in Well I'm Not from Bring Back Birdie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACrTZ431VT0
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2009, 07:26:06 AM »

I guess I need to tidy up a few things here and then head on downstairs to find something to watch until I get ready to start on lunch preparation. Of course, I guess I could go ahead and put the laundry into the washer, too, and not wait until the afternoon to do that.

Decisions, decisions....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2009, 07:26:31 AM »

I am always so interested to read about the lovely HHW'ers who are doing theatre in NYC.  Since I do toy theatre here in Indiana, it is exciting to read about the experiences of those who are doing it for REAL.

Keep the stories coming!

Don't put you or your theater down. For those of us who truly care about what we do when we perform, the work and effort put into the performance are the same no matter where it's being staged.

I'll drink to that!

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2009, 07:26:47 AM »

Spoo!

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2009, 07:27:22 AM »

I wonder what they are fixing. I saw the tour with Tommy Tune (20 years ago???) and they added the film title song at the begining of the show and two songs in act two. I Took A Giant Step and He's Mine (A duet for Rose and Mother Peterson) The TV version retained the title song, I Took A Giant STep. dropped He's Mine and added Let's Settle Down (solo for Rosie) and A Mother Doesn't Matter Anymore (solo for Mother Peterson).

I read that they are dropping The Shriner's Ballet for PC reasons. I think that is a load hooey. I would like to know the real reason

Umm... The recent press releases have been very open about some of the changes they've made to the show.  Or just read this interview with director, Robert Longbottom, from Playbill.com that was posted last week:

Honoring a Classic, Longbottom Still Puts a Fresh Happy Face on Birdie
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2009, 07:38:41 AM »

Interesting link, DR JOSE.  And thanks to DR JOSE and DR MATTH and DR ELMORE for the nice comments reminding me of many things - including why I DO theatre out here way off off off off Broadway.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2009, 07:45:15 AM »

That article scares me.

Wonder if Gina will do "Spanish Rose" topless like she danced in SHOWGIRLS?

Michael

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2009, 07:47:58 AM »

I wonder what they are fixing. I saw the tour with Tommy Tune (20 years ago???) and they added the film title song at the begining of the show and two songs in act two. I Took A Giant Step and He's Mine (A duet for Rose and Mother Peterson) The TV version retained the title song, I Took A Giant STep. dropped He's Mine and added Let's Settle Down (solo for Rosie) and A Mother Doesn't Matter Anymore (solo for Mother Peterson).

I read that they are dropping The Shriner's Ballet for PC reasons. I think that is a load hooey. I would like to know the real reason

Umm... The recent press releases have been very open about some of the changes they've made to the show.  Or just read this interview with director, Robert Longbottom, from Playbill.com that was posted last week:

Honoring a Classic, Longbottom Still Puts a Fresh Happy Face on Birdie

Fair enough.
Although it is a shame he decided not to give Mother Peterson a song.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2009, 07:59:03 AM »

The thought of that Cast Album scares me, too.

But I could certainly be wrong!  I have been listening to the Original Cast for almost 50 years. I don't know if I am prepared for a new improved version.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2009, 08:19:44 AM »

WOW

Luise Rainer who was in the first Great Waltz is still alive at the age of 99! and will turn 100 on Jan 12, 2010!!

And she still blames Frances Farmer.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2009, 08:19:59 AM »

OK... Time to finish going through "The New Season" preview in today's Arts & Leisure section, and then time to get ready for this afternoon's round of auditions.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2009, 08:31:25 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........aren't previews supposed to be for fixing a show or re-writing?

I still don't understand why a revival like BYE BYE BIRDIE needs to have previews!  Although I guess it's a money and period of time to play the show without reviews.....I don't know.  And if it is to improve the performances.....didn't they know something wasn't working during rehearsals?

Strange....

Well, they have been "re-writing and fixing" the show during the rehearsal process already. For better or worse.  If it turns out "for worse", then, hopefully, they'll be able to make it better during the previews.

Or something like that.

I thought Michael Stewart already did all that about 50 years ago.  But what do I know?
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2009, 09:04:47 AM »

The thought of that Cast Album scares me, too.

But I could certainly be wrong!  I have been listening to the Original Cast for almost 50 years. I don't know if I am prepared for a new improved version.

It's my experience that most revival cast albums don't come near the original ones.

As to revival rewrites or musical decisions made once the original creators are dead, I am often appalled by the "fixers" who think they know more than the original writers did. Trude Rittman's comment about the director's and orchestrator's decsion to add "folk" instruments to the revival of THE SOUND OF MUSIC was that it was misguided: the Trapp family was old aristocracy who listened to Mozart and wouldn't be caught dead listening to Alpine folk music.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2009, 09:26:52 AM »

We also had corn bread and corn-on-the-cob. 

I hope you brought your own butter!

der Brucer

Actually, she has a vegan spread called Earth Balance that also very good.  They've been using the regular (meaning non-vegan) version called Smart Balance for several years, and that's also very good.  You can even bake with it.  I recommend it. :)

When baking what do they use instead of eggs?

Jane

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »

DR Jose thank you for getting the photo to work last night.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2009, 09:29:41 AM »

Yes, indeed. Kudos to DR George who went above and beyond the call of duty to be a Good Samaritan to the woman with the lost cell phone. The world could do with more of this type of kindness and generosity.

DITTO!

I did not read words of her eternal gratitude ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2009, 09:30:35 AM »

Quote from: TCB on September 12, 2009, 01:17:04 PM
The thing I am looking forward to most about my trip in November ...is seeing ...the statue of David. 

How will you get to Florence?

der Brucer

Yes, DR der Brucer, even I am aware that the Statue of David is in Florence and not in Rome.  On Thursday, November 19, I wll be taking a charter bus from the port city of Livorno, where my cruise ship docks, to the city of Florence to spend the day.   :D
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2009, 09:32:44 AM »

Thanks to all and sundry this Sunday for the vibes.  We did have a fine final performance - with a very good audience. 

Throughout the run of the play, I am always approached by CHILDREN after the show who want to talk to Jonathan.....they seem to be fascinated by the scar and by the character.  I chose to play him mean - although his actions are tempered with humor and he certainly gets his cumuppance in the end....taken away in handcuffs - ouch!  I always shake their hands and thank them for coming and tell them it's just a play.  I try to kneel down so I am on their level.  It's most fascinating to watch them and interact with them.  The brother and sister last night were "excited and scared" and it was fun to talk to them.  Some wanted their picture taken with me as well.

A fun show!  And although I will probably never get to play this part again - I am happy it has reached its conclusion.

:D  I'm so glad the show was fine & the audience enjoyed it.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2009, 09:37:59 AM »

I saw the tour with Tommy Tune (20 years ago???)

I saw that tour at the Shubert Theater in New Haven, poor Keith had to work and missed it.  Wasn't Tommy Tune wonderful?

Jane

« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2009, 09:40:03 AM »

MUCH NEEDED VIBES TO DR LAURA AND HER KITTENS!!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2009, 10:08:20 AM »

Good morning!

More, more, more of the same kind of weather patterns: cool morning, very warm afternoons.

We had a very warm afternoon for the Pacific Northwest in September.  It was close to 80 yesterday, and it should be about the same this afternoon.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »

It was hot and muggy here and we finally got a little rain last night.  It is still muggy but cooler.  I hope we have more rain tonight.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2009, 10:10:37 AM »

DR DAW I hope you are feeling better as the day progresses.

Happy birthday to ex-brief DR Dan in the Valley!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2009, 10:12:02 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from The Duke Power Theatre!

Meet and Greet. To paraphrase Mr. Sondheim:

"You I hug, and you I hug, and you and you and you I hug..."

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2009, 10:24:48 AM »

Thanks to all and sundry this Sunday for the vibes.  We did have a fine final performance - with a very good audience. 

Throughout the run of the play, I am always approached by CHILDREN after the show who want to talk to Jonathan.....they seem to be fascinated by the scar and by the character.  I chose to play him mean - although his actions are tempered with humor and he certainly gets his cumuppance in the end....taken away in handcuffs - ouch!  I always shake their hands and thank them for coming and tell them it's just a play.  I try to kneel down so I am on their level.  It's most fascinating to watch them and interact with them.  The brother and sister last night were "excited and scared" and it was fun to talk to them.  Some wanted their picture taken with me as well.

A fun show!  And although I will probably never get to play this part again - I am happy it has reached its conclusion.

I had that same type of experience when I played Captain Hook in PETER PAN.  All of the children that stayed after the show were frightened but fascinated by Captain Hook.  I would kneel down so that I woudl close to their level (another reason I couldn't do the role again) which seemed to make me a little more accessible to the children. They all wanted to see the hook, and they were relieved when they found out it was plastic.

The director told me not to bother to switch back to Hook for the curtain call (I had only about five minutes), but I refused to take the curtain call as Mr. Darling, and have all the children think that Hook had actually died.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »

I had that same type of experience when I played Captain Hook in PETER PAN.  All of the children that stayed after the show were frightened but fascinated by Captain Hook.  I would kneel down so that I woudl close to their level (another reason I couldn't do the role again) which seemed to make me a little more accessible to the children. They all wanted to see the hook, and they were relieved when they found out it was plastic.

The director told me not to bother to switch back to Hook for the curtain call (I had only about five minutes), but I refused to take the curtain call as Mr. Darling, and have all the children think that Hook had actually died.

I liked reading how you both interacted with the children following the play.  Extra sweet of you DR TCB to make the very fast switch back to Hook.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up