Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN WALTZ TIME  (Read 21037 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NOTES IN WALTZ TIME
« on: September 13, 2009, 12:12:05 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes waltzed right along, and now it is time for you to post until the waltzing cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: NOTES IN WALTZ TIME
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:12:45 AM »

And the word of the day is: INURE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:14:11 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to Dave In The Valley, whoever he is.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 12:45:45 AM »

Best waltz lyrics:

Do you remember the night I held you so tight,
As we danced to the Wiener Schnitzel Waltz?
The music was gay, and the setting was Viennese,
Your hair wore some roses (or perhaps they were peonies),
I was blind to your obvious faults,
As we danced 'cross the scene
To the strains of the Wiener Schnitzel Waltz.

Oh, I drank some champagne from your shoe.
I was drunk by the time I got through.
I didn't know as I raised that cup,
It had taken two bottles to fill the thing up.

It was I who stepped on your dress.
The skirts all came off, I confess.
Revealing for all of the others to see
Just what it was that endeared you to me.

I remember the night I held you so tight,
As we danced to the Wiener Schnitzel Waltz.
Your lips were like wine (if you'll pardon the simile),
The music was lovely and quite Rudolf Frimly.
I drank wine, you drank chocolate malts,
And we both turned quite green
To the strains of the Wiener Schnitzel Waltz.

Tom Lehrer

Posted by Der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 12:57:01 AM »

My favorite Waltz story

S Woody White posting:
Re:WALTZING INTO APRIL
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2005, 05:37:03 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: DERBRUCER on March 31, 2005, 09:13:11 AM
My favorite waltz is one by Mason Williams that deals with a three legged gal - Woody will provide details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details, details, details...

The song in question is "The Last Great Waltz," found on Mason's CD Music 1968 - 1971.  It tells the tale of Jonathan W. Astor, who loves to dance, and loves to waltz most of all.  Unfortunately, when he attends a ball none of the ladies will dance with him because he's too much of a perfectionist.  Ah, but then he meets the Triskellion, who has the same problem because she has three legs...

It's a funny song, warmly funny so it stays funny every time we listen to it.  Part of the humor is in the music itself.  It starts in 4/4, for the narration, slips into 3/4 for Jonathan's solo, back to 4/4 for more narration, then to 3/4 for the Triskellion's solo (sung by Jennifer Warnes, I believe), back again to 4/4 for more narration, and finally, as Jonathan and the Triskellion happily dance together, goes into 5/4 time!  Absolutely perfect!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 01:02:13 AM »

Selma needs some personal grooming:

LATIMES
IN STRANGE COMPANY: PAUL WEITZ'S 'CIRQUE DU FREAK'
Paul Weitz's 'Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant' tosses a twist into an age-old formula, with a teenage boy fleeing into a risky but fulfilling world.

By John Horn
September 13, 2009
Reporting from New Orleans

Paul Weitz has been drawn to mentor stories throughout his filmmaking career. As inspired as the teacher-student relationships might have been in the writer-director's "About a Boy" and "In Good Company," they can't approach the perverse pedagogic plot of his latest, “Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant.”

In a derelict theater just outside the French Quarter last spring, Weitz was orchestrating the final showdown between two modern-day vampires. In a luxuriant lavender jacket, Larten Crepsley (John C. Reilly) was trading knife throws with the traditionally gothic Murlaugh (Ray Stevenson). The deadly duel was part of a looming war between bloodsucker camps, but the clash's immediate concern was the fate of a young newcomer to the vampire ranks: 16-year-old high school student Darren Shan (Chris Massoglia).

Adapted from the first three books in the bestselling, 12-volume "Cirque du Freak: The Saga of Darren Shan" series (its Irish author, Darren O'Shaughnessy, writes under the nom de plume Darren Shan), "The Vampire's Assistant" opens with Darren and his best friend, the troubled Steve (Josh Hutcherson), visiting an underground freak show.

As striking as its participants might be (a man who can swallow a folding bike, a snake boy, a woman with unbreakable teeth), Darren and Steve are respectively mesmerized by the show's magical spider, Madam Octa, and its vampires in hiding, including Crepsley.

When Darren steals Crepsley's spider and it subsequently bites Steve, the ancient vampire (he was born in 1783) offers Darren a "Sophie's choice" to save his buddy's life: In exchange for a spider-bite serum, Darren must die himself and train under Crepsley to become his sanguinary apprentice.

As much as "The Vampire's Assistant" plays with conventions of the genre (Crepsley uses his immortality to avoid committing to his girlfriend, Salma Hayek's bearded lady, Madame Truska), the movie ultimately offers an innovative twist on the coming-of-age fantasy. Unlike Harry Potter -- who must escape his unloving relatives to discover his place in the world -- Darren is trying to escape his place in the world: a loving family.

Looks like fun!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 01:14:02 AM »

Gee - DR Ginny could have had her pain in 3D:

LATIMES

b]Fans see USC-Ohio State game in 3-D[/b]
ESPN helps game leap out at Trojan fans gathered at Galen Center to watch the game.
By Mark Medina

September 13, 2009

After cutting toward the near side of the field, USC running back Stafon Johnson appeared to run toward the 7,000 fans sitting in Galen Center.

Then he quickly switched directions and glided into the end zone for what would be the winning touchdown Saturday in the Trojans' 18-15 victory against Ohio State.

It wasn't just the Buckeyes' defense that was deceived.

Johnson's shiftiness appeared to leap out of the 40-by-22-foot screen in the middle of Galen Center, and served as the most memorable example of ESPN's first 3-D broadcast providing an in-game atmosphere for fans.

The USC fight song performed by the marching band, the cheerleaders' dance routines and T-shirt giveaways during timeouts also helped. Then there were the screaming fans who stood on top of the media tables during the Trojans' comeback effort.

Anthony Bailey, vice president for emerging technology at ESPN, said he was happy with the final results but was noncommittal about the future of such broadcasts.

ESPN officials distributed a 28-question survey to fans where the broadcast took place, which included ESPN Zones at L.A. Live and Anaheim, and theaters at Columbus, Ohio; Hurst, Texas, and Hartford, Conn. A joint effort between ESPN and Digital Market Research, a consulting firm based in New York, will analyze the results within the next week.

der brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 01:51:34 AM »

Good evening, Der Brucer. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 01:54:11 AM »

Back from relativing already?

der Brucer

George

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 01:55:39 AM »

Well, yesterday was a day.  I worked concessions for the Wrinkles of Washington performance.  In a house that seats 988, they had 180 people show up...I don't know how many actual tickets were sold, thought. 

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 01:57:49 AM »

der Brucer

Several hours ago, actually.  I've been watching some TV (Friday's PSYCH and some other things) and watching "Hoarders" on-line.  OMG!  I know I need to clean my place, but I can be secure in the knowledge that I'm not THAT bad!! :o :-\

George

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 01:59:08 AM »

Anyway, I phoned the work number of the woman who's phone I found last night and left a kind-of long rambling message. ::) It turns out that she works at the hospital where my mom used to work!  She eventually called me back just as I got to my sister's house after working concessions downtown, so I had to leave right a way to meet her to give her her phone.  She was on-call and really couldn't wait until I got back to Tumwater to give her her phone.  So we met at the Capitol Mall cinemas, which was about half-way between Tumwater and the east side of Olympia, where my sister lives. 

DERBRUCER

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 02:04:18 AM »

Well, yesterday was a day.  I worked concessions for the Wrinkles of Washington performance.  In a house that seats 988, they had 180 people show up...I don't know how many actual tickets were sold, thought. 

My guess would be the profit on the concessions won't buy anyone a cruise.

der Brucer

George

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 02:05:20 AM »

My guess would be the profit on the concessions won't buy anyone a cruise.

der Brucer

True...very true.

George

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 02:05:52 AM »

At my sister's house, we all had vegan chili but my sister also bought real (meaning dairy) cheese and sour cream.  We also had corn bread and corn-on-the-cob.  It was all actually very good!  When I got back from delivering the phone, we played one game of Phase 10 (our family's usual card game of choice), and then we played a couple of games of Set.  It's an interesting game.  You really need to think to play that.  But it was fun.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 02:12:51 AM »

We also had corn bread and corn-on-the-cob. 

I hope you brought your own butter!

der Brucer

George

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 02:17:12 AM »

We also had corn bread and corn-on-the-cob. 

I hope you brought your own butter!

der Brucer

Actually, she has a vegan spread called Earth Balance that also very good.  They've been using the regular (meaning non-vegan) version called Smart Balance for several years, and that's also very good.  You can even bake with it.  I recommend it. :)

George

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 02:20:43 AM »

Well, I'm off to bed.  Tonight, my sister, her boyfriend, my dad and I are going to see Dave Brubeck perform at Jazz Alley, in Seattle!  My dad has been a fan of Dave's for YEARS and is very excited!!  This was a present for his 71st birthday.  I'm actually pretty excited to go, too! 

Good night, Der Brucer.

Have a good day, all!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 02:23:19 AM »

Actually, she has a vegan spread called Earth Balance that also very good.  They've been using the regular (meaning non-vegan) version called Smart Balance for several years, and that's also very good.  You can even bake with it.  I recommend it. :)

In this house we only allow real butter, lard, and bacon fat!

der Brucer

Woody's even taken to buying extra-rich dairy butter at the farmer's market!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 02:25:02 AM »

Well, I'm off to bed.  Tonight, my sister, her boyfriend, my dad and I are going to see Dave Brubeck perform at Jazz Alley, in Seattle!  My dad has been a fan of Dave's for YEARS and is very excited!!  This was a present for his 71st birthday.  I'm actually pretty excited to go, too! 

Good night, Der Brucer.

Have a good day, all!

Thanx for reminding that I'm as old as your Father!

der Brucer

DAW

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 03:29:44 AM »

bk, I hope that you will soon be sharing with us more insidery details of the recording session with the WSMA.        :)

DAW

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 03:34:11 AM »

Although I am reluctant to admit that, at times...

...my addled brain confuses Brent Barrett with Marc Kudisch.              :P  

DAW

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 03:36:44 AM »

Well, I'm still feeling absolutely miserable.  After a restless night filled with little sleep, I am heartened by one positive development: so far this morning, my nose has stopped its constant drip, drip, drip.  I'll take what I can get!

Although with so little sleep, I know it's going to be a huge battle to stay awake during the 22+ minute sermon this morning.  Especially the second time through.     8)

Julie

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 03:58:32 AM »

Good early morning.

Julie

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 03:59:26 AM »

der Brucer

Several hours ago, actually.  I've been watching some TV (Friday's PSYCH and some other things) and watching "Hoarders" on-line.  OMG!  I know I need to clean my place, but I can be secure in the knowledge that I'm not THAT bad!! :o :-\

Hoarders!!  Now that's a show that can really turn your stomach. Especially those people that can't throw out the old, rotten, unrefrigerated food that has 3 years of stuff growing out of it.  It's too awful to watch!

Julie

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 04:01:55 AM »

Anyway, I phoned the work number of the woman who's phone I found last night and left a kind-of long rambling message. ::) It turns out that she works at the hospital where my mom used to work!  She eventually called me back just as I got to my sister's house after working concessions downtown, so I had to leave right a way to meet her to give her her phone.  She was on-call and really couldn't wait until I got back to Tumwater to give her her phone.  So we met at the Capitol Mall cinemas, which was about half-way between Tumwater and the east side of Olympia, where my sister lives. 

That was a very good deed, DR George.   ;D

Laura

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 04:39:01 AM »

Ugh.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 05:20:54 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  I've received a special dispensation from the Vicar (DH Richard) to skip church in Lima today.  A long-time friend is having a birthday celebration in Cincinnati today and I'm honored to be among the "favorite women" she's invited for "champagne, tea, and treats."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 05:24:45 AM »

Have fun, Ginny.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 05:27:37 AM »

Thanks, DR Laura.  How are my kitties?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up