Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LOST HOUR  (Read 32676 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE LOST HOUR
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2004, 09:16:50 PM »

There's something about a hip hop DY that smells.

Specifically, it smells of someone latching onto an idea with no concept of what he's talking about.  Hip hop isn't all that cinematic; it's too confrontational, directed right in the face of the audience, constantly breaking through the fourth wall. It works in videos or in concert, but is a terrible form for telling stories, which is what musicals do.

Years Decades ago, long before I met der Brucer, I was dating a fellow who had this idea of making a disco musical.  The problem was, he'd never been to a disco, and had only heard the music on the radio.  He hadn't any notion of how disco was a participatory thing, where the music fed the crowd, which supplied it's own energy, magnifying the music well beyond what it actually was.  (If there's a definition for synergy, disco was it.)  When some of my friends and I took him to Studio One one night, he was overwhelmed.  What he witnessed and what he had dreamed up had nothing to do with each other.  His idea for a disco musical collapsed, as most souffles do at some point.  (So did our affair, shortly after that.  There are some relationships that can only stand so much honesty.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2004, 09:18:36 PM »

Dang, it took us this long to get to page five?

This isn't so much a Page Five Dance as a slouch!

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :-\ :'( :-\ :'( :-\ :'( :-\ :'( :-\ :'( :-\ :'( :-\ :'( :-\ :'( :-\[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Kerry

« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2004, 09:23:54 PM »

Neil Diamond's "Cracklin' Rosie" was on the radio earlier today (not one of my favorite songs), and I want to know just what IS a "Store-bought woman"?
I like boat races.

Tomovoz

« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2004, 09:28:35 PM »

A substitute - a bottle of whisky(whiskey) or bourbon "cracklin' rosie". My local radio station played it this morning too Kerry. Spooky!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2004, 09:42:40 PM »

True, but "Spooky" isn't a Neil Diamond song. . .

Now if other DRs were watching THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW on dvd tonight (as I was), THAT would be spooky.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2004, 09:58:53 PM »

Of course td. A Dusty Springfield reference.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2004, 10:00:40 PM »

But, of course, DR Tomovoz!     ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2004, 10:25:48 PM »

Well, maybe we'll make it!  Company just left - I showed them North by Northwest, which Rachel had never seen.  She liked but didn't love it - too long, too many twists.  But I've seen this with a lot of younger folks with movies like this - they're so used to quick cutting and no character development and movies that just leap about that these things seem slow.  Not as slow as most of the crap I see today, however, and the fact is most movies today are as long as NBNW.   They're just filled with shorter scenes and quicker cutting.  I, on the other hand, loved it as much as always - it never ceases to amaze me how perfect a film it is (for my real reactions to it as a child read Kritzerland).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2004, 10:39:22 PM »

Well, where in tarnation is everybody???
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2004, 10:41:12 PM »

We need posts.  Do you hear me?  POSTS!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2004, 10:42:19 PM »

What is this?  Am I doing stand up??
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2004, 10:44:14 PM »

Good to see you standing up for yourself TCB. A good positive way to face the world and your troubles. If you get totally tired of talking to yourself you can email!
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2004, 10:46:55 PM »

Good to see you standing up for yourself TCB. A good positive way to face the world and your troubles. If you get totally tired of talking to yourself you can email!

Too late.  I already did.

GOOD NIGHT, ALL!
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2004, 11:18:04 PM »

Came across an interesting story (or I found it so): the proprietress of a bakery in Washington, D. C., got a very good write-up by the Post's restaurant/food critic.  The problem is, the write-up included a picture of her doughnuts, which became what all the new customers wanted...and the only item they wanted.  Making matters worse, they would only want to buy one or two doughnuts, and nothing else...and would be paying with nothing but twenty dollar bills!

Since the local bank itself had trouble keeping up with the demand for one dollar bills, particularly on weekends, the baker was hard put to constantly make change.  She finally had to make a policy change, not to break twenties for just one or two doughnuts.  If people wanted that few doughnuts, they could pay in smaller bills.

Typically, some of the people coming in for just one or two of the doughnuts were outraged at being treated this way.  One woman waved her money in the helpstaff's face, saying "This is American money!"  (The helpstaff was Latino.)  Would the woman buy anything else?  No, flat refusal there.  Even some of the cookies the bakery makes were rejected. The doughnuts were all she had heard about, and those were all she wanted.  Next thing, the "customer" was threatening to go on the Internet with her story and make the baker and her bakery look like...well, we don't use language like that here.

Just goes to prove, the customer is not always right.  Whoever started that notion had no idea how sadistic some customers can be.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2004, 11:21:41 PM »

Sorry about being errant and truant today, Dear Readers.  I was in San Diego to catch a peformance of Joseph Green's Giuseppe Verdi's Don Carlo.  Though I am familiar with its music, I've never seen the work staged before.  It's grand opera at its grandest, filled with high emotion, historical context, politics, religion, unseemly goings-on amongst royalty, betrayal and, just for good measure, an auto-da-fe.  (Oh, a Candide reference.)  This opera requires six strong singers--plus a sizable chorus and the more spear carriers the better.  Other than an only OK tenor, this ensemble was quite good.

On the way home, I picked up my mother (who lives in Orange County), as she will be spending a few days with me to celebrate Passover.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 11:32:03 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2004, 11:29:52 PM »

I hadn't seen NORTH BY NORTHWEST in many years. So, except for a few sequences which I remembered totally, it was like watching it anew. Great fun. And incredibly sexy - although all done with words, looks, wonderful double entendres.
I think one of the reasons Rachel did not "love" it is that there was a misunderstanding at the outset. We had been discussing watching either CHARADE with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant or NBNW, also with Grant. Rachel is a huge Audrey Hepburn fan and for some reason misunderstood and thought Hepburn was in NBNW, as well. As the opening credits rolled, I heard her saying, "Wait! Audrey Hepburn isn't in this!"-- but it was too late. So she went into it feeling slightly let down. I have to say that I've sat through some pretty long, twist-filled films with her and she has really liked them. So I don't think she's emblematic of some kind of generational fault in not liking length or complexity of plot. She actually has fairly sophisticated tastes in films (as well as liking some of the usual fare of her generation).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2004, 11:50:34 PM »

To give Rachel her due, NbBW has a fairly dry first act.  By dry, I mean stagnant, compared with the rest of the film.  It isn't until Cary gets on the train that it really takes off; his chemistry with Eva is nearly perfect throughout.  But by that time, a third of the film has already passed, filled with fifties banalities.

I suppose the film could be remade today, with our hero a nastier sort of ad-man, confronted by even nastier baddies.  But...but could anyone believe people with money would travel by train?  Even people without money travel by air these days.  The new Cary would have his own drug habit, so that the scene with him driving drunk would be almost nothing to him.  And the thrill of seeing Mt. Rushmore, from any angle, would be sardonically cut with kids saying "Puh-leeze, I've seen the photos already!"  Fifties banalities replaced by those a half-century newer.

But I don't think Rachel would be happy with that.  She strikes me as too intelligent.  Her reaction sounds more like a gap between her expectations and what she found.  Fortunately, NbNY holds up on repeated viewings.  The best films are like that.  She'll return to it, someday, when the time is right for her.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2004, 12:01:08 AM »

Talk about squeaking by.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2004, 12:01:54 AM »

I just caught an interview with Ann Hampton Callaway and Liz Callaway, on Fox News of all places.  I'm envious of those in the LA area: they'll be at Feinstein's this week.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up