Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PASSOVER PLOTZ  (Read 45387 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THE PASSOVER PLOTZ
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2004, 10:01:07 AM »

SECOND PAGE DANCE!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]
[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D :D :D :D[/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2004, 10:05:08 AM »

My favorite sleuths on TV have been Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2004, 10:11:16 AM »

BK:  Have you considered asking DR N.R. about whether any of the recording stems from "Call Me MadaM' survive that might result in a stereo soundtrack someday?

In one way, I'd like to believe were this possible, they'd have done it and issued the movie with those stereo tracks like they did "All About Eve."  However, since this is the first-ever release of "Call Me Madam" on home video, it may not have been an expense they'd wish to undertake on an unproven title.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2004, 10:31:35 AM »

My memory is that I've heard the tracks and that they're mono.  We'd talked about issuing it on CD, but the sound is a bit sketchy if I recall correctly - a bit shrill.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2004, 10:56:54 AM »

The best TV cop show EVER was THE UNTOUCHABLES.  A tight, slick show with great actors and solid scripts.  Those old episodes are still as gripping and suspenseful as when they first came out.

As for detective whodunits, I always liked BURKE'S LAW and I'm enjoying the revival of all the old Warners shows on Goodtimes Network...Sunset Strip, Surside 6, Hawaiian Eye, and, for awhile they were even running Bourbon Street Beat

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2004, 11:08:13 AM »

Love The Untouchables, especially Walter Winchell's narration.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2004, 11:11:06 AM »

I have to respectfully disagree with you DR Dan(the Man). THough forensic science is the premise of CSI and through it many cases are solved, not every episode is a slam dunk for the investigators. In some episodes, they know a person is guilty, but their evidence is not conclusive enough to win the day. In others, the guilty parties outwit them and escape. Part of the fun in shows like this is seeing if the science will win out or not. Just as on LAW & ORDER when the Sam Waterston character doesn't win every case, but you don't know if he will or won't, so too are the criminalists of CSI sometimes thwarted by the bad guys.

DR Matt, I don't doubt that you're right about CSI.  I've probably had the misfortune of seeing three episodes that happened to be much alike in the denouement ("Science will out!")  with two of those outcomes hinging the last minute on the line, "Let's run one more sweep for fibers."  I could give the show another chance, but there's something in me that stubbornly refuses.  I can't help but feel that in the show's strong reliance on an exact scientific process that there's an absence of "romance" in the solving of the crimes.  My introduction to whodunnits was Agatha Christie, and I'd rather see a murderer found out by the way a slice of toast was curiously buttered than through a spectromical analysis of a miniscule peice of metal filing.  But then, I'm old fashioned that way...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 11:17:12 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2004, 11:13:24 AM »

Good morning all!

Re: DR Jane's comment from last night that I haven't been cleaning for Passover.  Oh but I HAVE!  I was just not familiar with the expression DR Dan used about the feather.

Trust me, I have been cleaning.  And I even have to do a good share of the cooking (I will be making the chicken, turnip, roasted potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower). My mom will be making the matzoh ball soup and my aunt will be making the brisket (which is my most favorite dish in the entire world!.

Last night I posted “Jennifer, don't feel bad I had to look this up.  I have never cleaned my house for Passover either.”  I meant I’m not very knowledge and had to look up feather and I have never cleaned my house, either referring to my lack of knowledge, not your cleaning.  Sorry-it made sense to me at the time. ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2004, 11:14:44 AM »

Last night I posted “Jennifer, don't feel bad I had to look this up.  I have never cleaned my house for Passover either.”  I meant I’m not very knowledge and had to look up feather and I have never cleaned my house, either referring to my lack of knowledge, not your cleaning.  Sorry-it made sense to me at the time. ;D

THAT was probably the problem.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2004, 11:18:22 AM »

HAPPY PASSOVER!

Emily I’m pleased to say I have never had, or been offered, brisket for Passover. :D

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2004, 11:19:09 AM »

That's okay DR Jane.  Just after slaving for 2 days, I want my cleaning credit :)

Btw, I have never tried roasting turnip.  Can someone who has done this explain to me what they do please.

Jane

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2004, 11:20:40 AM »

TCB are you making fun of the way my brain works? ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2004, 11:25:46 AM »

Btw, if you're vegetarian obviously you won't like brisket.  But don't knock it otherwise. It is amazingly good. Even my brother-in-law who is not jewish thinks it's the best thing ever.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2004, 11:29:03 AM »

Speaking of Passover, does anyone recall seeing Elizabeth Sawdos' The Haggadah on PBS years ago? (Like 20 years--yikes!)  I remember that I enjoyed it a lot, even though the sound was badly recorded.  Unfortunately, this was a few years before I had a VCR.  All I have somewhere is a screechy audio recording.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2004, 11:33:48 AM »

DR Dan (the Man), I guess I'm lucky that I'm more "flexible." Like you, I was brought up on Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie, and I ADORE those fictional works and the tangible clues they provide in solving the mystery. I have collected all of the Poirot and Marple BBC series that have been made available and rewatch them with great relish. I'd rather curl up on the couch with a Christie mystery than any other piece of fiction.

That said, the CSI approach to solving crimes is to me utterly fascinating and simply a new wrinkle on an old formula. I find it no better or worse than the old gumshoe methods, just different. All for me are mesmerizing methods of making a mystery. (How's that for alliteration.).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2004, 11:36:17 AM »

You've never had brisket for Passover, Jane?  Obviously, you never came to Passover at MY house.

Perhaps I'll buy some gefilte fish so I can feel Jewish and say, "What is it, fish?"

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2004, 11:36:19 AM »

Good morning all
Hmm..good TOTD...right off the top of my head, I also really enjoy Without A Trace and CSI.  I also do like CSI Miami, although it is definitely a step down from the original.  The writing isn't as good, and the cast doesn't work together quite like the first one does.  Hmm..older cop shows...I did watch Dragnet on Nick at Nite as a kid.  I also went through a brief period where I would never miss Murder She Wrote.

Question from a rather ignorant non-jew...what exactly is brisket?  I'm fairly sure I know what matzoh ball soup is...but I could be wrong.  

Charles Pogue

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2004, 11:43:12 AM »

I'm fond of many of the British mystery series, Cadfael, Tommy & Tuppence, Lord Peter Whimsey (both incarnations), Poirot...not much for Miss Marple.
My pal Jeremy Brett was easily the best Sherlock Holmes...not afraid to make Holmes thoroughly disagreeable at times which he could be...though Brett's HOUND overall is one of the dullest around, and padding out some of the short stories don't work as well as they could.

Jane

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2004, 11:45:22 AM »

Btw, if you're vegetarian obviously you won't like brisket.  But don't knock it otherwise. It is amazingly good. Even my brother-in-law who is not jewish thinks it's the best thing ever.

;D ;D ;D
I wasn't always a vegetarian.  Growing up I had plenty of traditional Jewish dishes, but brisket was never one of them. The first time I had it was at Keith's parent’s house.  If I ate it again, it was just a few bites to be polite.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2004, 11:48:40 AM »

I'm Back!  I moved last weekend (April 4 & 5) and wasn't able to even try to set up my computer until this past Saturday (the 10th)
AND IT DOESN'T WORK!!  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
I pushed the button to turn it on and nothing happened!  At first my sister's boyfriend Larry (he built my computer) thought that it might just be the "power source," so he bought a new one and swapped out the old one.  Again nothing happened.  So now he's figured that it might (MIGHT??  HE SHOULD KNOW!) that it could be the motherboard that tells the powersource to turn on the computer.  The hard drive (and everything that I've ever saved) should be okay.  PLEASE send me your best computer-fixing vibes!

Also, over the last two weeks I've either worked half days or had days off so that I could get things organized at home in the evenings so I didn't even have time to check in during the days.  But now that I'm back to working full days, I can at least keep up with the current daily stuff here at work.

As for the topic of the day, what are my favorite TV cop and mystery shows?

Barney Miller
Cagney and Lacey
Hart to Hart
Remington Steele
Richie Brockelman, Private Eye
The Rockford Files
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2004, 11:54:38 AM »

...what exactly is brisket?  

It's a stringy cut of beef (off the top of the rib) that is slowly cooked in a gravy (a la pot roast.)  When cooked properly, this stringy piece of meat is transformed into a tender, delicious treat.  The meat is sliced (against the grain) and served with the gravy, usually to great acclaim by the diners.  

There are an infinite number of variations in the make-up of the gravy, whether the meat is cooked atop the stove or in the oven, whether it should be browned first in the pan before the slow cooking, etc., etc., etc.  (Oh, a The King and I reference.)  

Although it is traditionally served at holiday meals by Jews of Eastern European heritage, you can find brisket on the menu of many restaurants that you would not nececessarily consider Jewish.

The only problem with serving brisket on Passover is that matzoh does not soak up the gravy nearly as well as a good piece of rye bread or challah, which, of course, are verboten during this holiday.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2004, 11:57:39 AM »

Well, it's baseball's opening day and I thought I catch my Cincinnati Reds playing the Cubs on ESPN.  It's halfway through the third and the Reds are already behind...four to zip.  Might be a long season.  Far  away from the days of the Big Red Machine.

Ben

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2004, 12:01:21 PM »

Even though I'm a little Irish boy from the Midwest, I've been to plenty of seders and it wasn't the brisket I shied away from, it was the gefilte fish. I've had some good gf but when it comes out of the jar covered in that jell, I automatically choke up. My favorite dishes at the seder are the kugels. Umm, umm. I love good raisin or apple kugel.

BTW (by the way in Internet lingo), DR Jane, if Keith had his picture with DangerMouse taken in England, that wasn't me. I traveled around the U.S. but Nickelodeon never sent me to Europe (darn them, darn them all to hell).

A second BTW for DR Jane, this may actually be for you to relay to Keith. Do you have Real Player (aka Real One or just Real) on your computer? If you don't, that could be the reason you don't get the Broadway Radio Show. All PCs come with Windows Media Player but that won't work for Donald's show. The stream technology uses coding available only in Real Player (I know, I know, you probably don't know what I'm talking about) so without that plug-in on your system you can't listen to the show (or any of the BBC radio shows for that matter)

Never watched many cop or detective shows either as a child or an adult. I'm about to make a confession here folks, so treat me kindly  ;) I know the show has a large and devoted following but I could never get through a single episode of Murder She Wrote. I LOVE Ms. Lansbury but I just couldn't watch that show to save my life. Anthony enjoys it and if he comes across an episode in the afternoon on A&E, he will sit and watch while I make dinner. Sometimes he will call me in to see how someone has aged (or not aged) but otherwise, I skipped the show during the original run and haven't seen it in any re-runs.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2004, 12:16:20 PM »

DR Jane: I wonder if maybe the brisket you tried was just not cooked properly.  Because if you like meat (or if you liked it then), you would just die for the brisket my aunt makes.  

And I actually prefer mine cold with no gravy. That is how my grandmother always made it for me.  I'm actually the only one if my family who eats it that way.

As for gefilte fish, I've never tried it from a jar.  Luckily here in Montreal we can get it in a log.  And it is also quite good (although nothing compares to brisket).

Maybe we can find pictures online for DR Ann.

Matzoh balls are just white round balls served in a soup.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2004, 12:17:01 PM »

Happy Passover to all who are celebrating it!

It's times like these that I am glad I am not a Jew.  Brisket?  Matzoh balls? Ewwwwwwww.... ;)

Yes, Happy Passover to all my Jewish friends as well!  DR Emily, as a lapsed WASP, I have to tell you that Matzoh balls, matzoh ball soup, and brisket are three of the greatest foods EVER!!!!! Yummmmm!!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2004, 12:20:12 PM »

My mother didn’t make chicken soup either.  She made turkey soup with matzo balls.  No one else’s soup compared.  Even my mother’s desserts were great.  We got special treats from the Robertson Bakery (corner of Pico & Robertson).  I tell you, it was a shock when I began going to other houses for Passover.  The soup wasn’t as delicious, a bit bland, and the cakes were weird.  My father also did a wonderful, interesting and slightly condensed Seder.  By choice I always made the Charoset (apples, raisins, wine & cinnamon) while I enjoyed sips of the Manischewitz blackberry wine.  The only wine I will use even today.

At the Seder I never had more than one sip of wine per blessing since my sister would always steel the rest of my wine.  When I was fourteen I went to a friend’s house for Passover and for the first time had all four glasses of wine.  To the horror of the parents (my friend & her brothers thought it very funny) I was rather tipsy and very giggly by the end of the evening.  Once home it took my father about five minutes to suddenly realize the condition of his “little girl”.  I can still recall his expression at the moment of understanding.  ;D  For several years I continued to go to my friends for Passover but my wine allotment was very small.    

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2004, 12:21:49 PM »

Speaking of Passover, does anyone recall seeing Elizabeth Sawdos' The Haggadah on PBS years ago? (Like 20 years--yikes!)  I remember that I enjoyed it a lot, even though the sound was badly recorded.  Unfortunately, this was a few years before I had a VCR.  All I have somewhere is a screechy audio recording.
A friend of mine from college was one of the puppeteers on the original, and Julie Taymor may have been as well.  It was an amazing theatrical experience.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2004, 12:21:51 PM »

I've mentioned this before, but for the first six or so years (the years Peter Fischer was the executive producer of the show), MURDER SHE WROTE was a wonderful show. Clever, funny, suspenseful, and with some good mysteries. After he left and Angela's production company took over, the stories became much less interesting (I suspect less experienced writers were being hired), the show used fewer guest stars who were experienced actors (prettier, younger, less talented), and I found myself not enjoying it as much. I watched it until the bitter end (moving it to Thursday nights effectively killed it in the ratings) and even watched the overly padded made-for-TV movies featuring the Jessica Fletcher character. But those early years were really excellent, I thought.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2004, 12:24:54 PM »

Jane, if you go to the radio show page (click on "Broadway Radio" below).  There's a link to download Real Player right there - it's free and easy.

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2004, 12:31:18 PM »

All this Jewish food sounds good! Brisket, Matzoh Ball soup, Gefilte Fish...I have never had any of it, but I would if I could!

I did, however, get to eat a package of smoked shredded squid that one of my co-workers brought back for me from her trip to Japan. The package said "Easy to enjoy anytime, anyplace," and I so did, and it was!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 12:32:35 PM by MBarnum »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up