Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PASSOVER PLOTZ  (Read 46778 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE PASSOVER PLOTZ
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2004, 12:32:25 PM »

Ben, a couple of bites of gefilte fish on a piece of matzo and I’m done.  It is rather an acquired taste.  Some say the only way to eat it is with horseradish on it, a combination which is truly beyond my ability to eat.

I have to check with Keith if we have real player.  I know we didn’t in the past.

We found the Danger Mouse photo.  It was taken at a book fair but we don’t know where.  Our son says it was England but it could have been in Frankfurt, or the states.  Danger Mouse is not wearing a plastic mask.  Did you ever work at the big book fairs?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2004, 12:32:36 PM »

Never watched many cop or detective shows either as a child or an adult. I'm about to make a confession here folks, so treat me kindly  ;) I know the show has a large and devoted following but I could never get through a single episode of Murder She Wrote. I LOVE Ms. Lansbury but I just couldn't watch that show to save my life. Anthony enjoys it and if he comes across an episode in the afternoon on A&E, he will sit and watch while I make dinner. Sometimes he will call me in to see how someone has aged (or not aged) but otherwise, I skipped the show during the original run and haven't seen it in any re-runs.

Certainly no reason to apologize, Ben, we can't all like the same things.  If we all watched the same programs, then I would finally understand what everyone else here is talking about when it comes to Survivor, American Idol, Trading Spaces, and / or any of the other dozen or so shows that are talked about so often at this site, that I don't watch.

Personally, I loved Murder She Wrote and have seen every episode, at least, three or four times.  But at the same time, I like to read that same type of murder mystery (known as a "cozy" mystery).  Those are the mysteries, solved by real people (rather than police or private eyes), and usually lacking in the blood and violence associated with real crime.  In other words, I like little old lady's mystery books.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2004, 12:33:54 PM »

I saw that Bruce-Keith's computer, I check with him first. ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2004, 12:34:21 PM »

One of my favorite Passover desserts is Mundel bread.  It's sort of like biscotti.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2004, 12:37:31 PM »

All for me are mesmerizing methods of making a mystery. (How's that for alliteration.).

Well, then, as Carol Channing's Cecilia Cisson might have said, "Perhaps it is necessary for me to reassess my dissing of CSI (so to speak.)"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2004, 12:40:31 PM »

This just in from Playbill On-Line

I Am My Own Wife wins Pulitzer Prize for Drama

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/85375.html

And deservedly so, I think.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2004, 12:41:35 PM »

Ellery Queen-sadly gone too soon
Dragnet
77 Sunset Strip
Columbo
McMillan & Wife
McCloud
Cagney & Lacey-brought back by popular demand :D
Night Stalker
Barney Miller
Rockford Files
Hart to Hart
Perry Mason
Remington Steele
Moonlighting

Due South starring Paul Gross as Canadian Mountie Benton Fraser working in Chicago.

Lulu I forgot about Matt Houston

I’m surprised Magnum, PI has not been mentioned

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2004, 01:03:14 PM »

...Today - (sometimes) Law and Order - it's always on in some form, somewhere.
Isn't Lawn Order that show on the Home and Garden Network, about detectives who find clues among the bushes and clippings?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2004, 01:16:38 PM »

How could anyone forget "Matt Houston"?

The opening of the first show was "camera rape" at its most flagrant!  I think they modified the shot for later openings, but it was partially there....the camera dwelling on Lee Horsley's mid-section as he walked toward the camera!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 01:19:12 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Robin

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2004, 01:24:50 PM »

I guess the earliest shows I recall watching every week were Adam-12 and Dragnet .

I always loved the plotless episodes of Dragnet that were nothing more than two-by-four-to-the-back-of-the-head anti-drug rants.  One of them featured David Cassidy (or was it Shaun Cassidy?  OK, it definitely was not Jack Cassidy) as a youthful marijuana addict.  And there was another episode in which Jack Webb and Harry Morgan burst into an LSD dealer's home, lectured him for half an hour, and then left.  The end.  

They were only slightly updated versions of Reefer Madness, and every bit as hilarious.  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 01:25:38 PM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2004, 01:26:05 PM »

...I’m surprised Magnum, PI has not been mentioned
I haven't forgotten Magnum, PI.  I just watched it for the beefcake, instead of the mysteries, however.   ;D ;D ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2004, 01:28:25 PM »

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]BOOTILICIOUS COMPUTER VIBES FOR DR GEORGE![/move]

Well, it's baseball's opening day and I thought I catch my Cincinnati Reds playing the Cubs on ESPN.  It's halfway through the third and the Reds are already behind...four to zip.  Might be a long season.  Far  away from the days of the Big Red Machine.

I comisserate.  I know that I always hope that no one ever remembers my drunken cries of "Just wait till next year!" from last September (or was it August?  Sheesh!)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2004, 01:33:12 PM »

A friend of mine from college was one of the puppeteers on the original, and Julie Taymor may have been as well.  It was an amazing theatrical experience.

I would bet that Taymor was involved--I can picture a couple of her large puppets on sticks in the show.  

I'm also recalling an Elvis impersonator as Pharaoh, which was a few years before there was one in the B'way production of Joseph and His Amazing...Coat.
-- Anaïs Nin

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2004, 01:37:38 PM »

Happy Passover to those who celebrate!

I am the worst Mexijew in the world (for those of you who don't already know, my mom is of Russian-Jewish ancestry and my father of Mexican-Catholic...so I'm technically Jewish, but completely agnostic).  I didn't even remember today was the start of Passover!

I don't know from detective shows, but being the musical dork that I am, I'm just going to say "City of Angels," hehe.

I need to buy "Call Me Madam!!"  Maybe with the next paycheck.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2004, 01:40:11 PM »

I always loved the plotless episodes of Dragnet that were nothing more than two-by-four-to-the-back-of-the-head anti-drug rants.  One of them featured David Cassidy (or was it Shaun Cassidy?  OK, it definitely was not Jack Cassidy) as a youthful marijuana addict.  And there was another episode in which Jack Webb and Harry Morgan burst into an LSD dealer's home, lectured him for half an hour, and then left.  The end.  

They were only slightly updated versions of Reefer Madness, and every bit as hilarious.  

I've seen these episode in reruns on Nick At Nite.  I remember that the decore of the drug dealer's "pad" was, by today's standards, just slightly garish, but implied in the show to be representative of a drug den of depravity.  
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2004, 01:44:38 PM »

This morning I woke up (and I imagine Jennifer did too) to about 5cm of snow.  My question to all DRs: if April showers bring May flowers... what the heckeroo does April snow bring?
As Dorothy Fields wrote (to the music of Sigmund Romberg, for Up in Central Park, 1945) (and I hope I'm getting these lyrics right, I was transcribing them from CD and we all know how that can be a path to hell):

There's a love as swift and light as an April snow.
It's a shining gift, a bright bit of touch and go.
It's a love you dare not crush in your arms,
A moment that charms aglow,
Then it swiftly flies away like an April snow.

Forgive me, that's just the first verse.  It's a really lovely song.  I have it on two recordings, one by Barbara Cook (on her disc Close as Pages in a Book), and the other by Sally Mayes (The Dorothy Fields Songbook).

Jane

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »

How could anyone forget "Matt Houston"?

The opening of the first show was "camera rape" at its most flagrant!  I think they modified the shot for later openings, but it was partially there....the camera dwelling on Lee Horsley's mid-section as he walked toward the camera!

LOL-I remember that well.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2004, 02:12:27 PM »

DR Maya, CALL ME MADAM is not available for us plebians yet. It and STAR! both come out later this month.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2004, 02:14:50 PM »

This may be an urban legend. But..................
Ethel Merman was invited to Irving Berlin's for Passover and she was worried that there would be anything for her to eat. So she brought a ham sandwhich with her!
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2004, 02:19:22 PM »

Der Brucer and I would like to thank our DR Jenny, who insisted on our seeing I am My Own Wife when we joined her in NYC.  It's a good play, very interesting, and the first one that der Brucer has seen before the Pulitzer Prize was awarded (certainly the first for myself, as well)!

Our Jenny has very good taste, indeed!

Michael

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2004, 02:22:20 PM »

What a day tomorrow for DVDs!!

The Little Prince
Meet Me in St. Louis
Half a Sixpence
Pink Panther Collection (almost complete)

and to lesser extents
Matrix Revolutions
The Greatest Show on Earth (which is considered to be the "Worst" film ever to win Best Picture)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2004, 02:22:31 PM »

Playwright Doug Wright has been awarded the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for Drama for his play I Am My Own Wife, currently running at the Lyceum Theatre
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2004, 02:25:16 PM »

Anyone hear that Andrew Lloyd Webber is helping Stephen Sondheim with the score for Bounce?????
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2004, 02:35:05 PM »

You're a little late with that April Fool joke about Lloyd Webber and SOndheim, DR Michael SHayne.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2004, 02:37:06 PM »

This entire month is a DVD lover's paradise. All month long there are tantalizing releases awaiting. By the end of the month we'll have our Basil Rathbone/Sherlock Holmes collections complete, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2004, 02:40:39 PM »

Read this morning about the de-gayed Cole Porter in the upcoming musical DELOVELY. We already have a de-gayed Porter in NIGHT AND DAY done 60 years ago! Why do another one when the real story has been well chronicled in several best selling biographies? Also, they have Ashley Judd playing Linda Porter who in real life was older than Cole. Ashley Judd is about 20 years YOUNGER than Kevin Kline (who's playing Porter).

This thing sounds like a disaster in the making, and could be a giant step back for more movie musicals when CHICAGO proved they could be popular when done well.

Michael

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2004, 02:42:31 PM »

You're a little late with that April Fool joke about Lloyd Webber and SOndheim, DR Michael SHayne.

I didn't realize it was an April fool days joke
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2004, 02:46:31 PM »

Question: Was The Greatest Show on Earth filmed in widescreen or the academy ratio?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2004, 02:50:46 PM »

And it beat out High Noon and The Quiet Man for Best Picture!
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2004, 03:04:34 PM »

Greatest Story was pre-widescreen.  Academy, always and forever.

I don't think it's the worst film to win Best Picture - I certainly would give that honor to Chariots of Fire, a film I really couldn't stand.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up