Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LET'S NOT SUGARCOAT IT  (Read 12270 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: LET'S NOT SUGARCOAT IT
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2009, 03:04:10 PM »

DR François - You don't have to be a singer to attend a masterclass nor to enjoy the singing and process.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »

PAGE FIVE SUGAR-COATED DANCE!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2009, 03:08:42 PM »

Jose, ERs are so busy that anyone could have just walked him in and then left.

I was able to track down someone who works for an insurance company.  He said that since he had already been discharged, all of his records will have been transferred to the Billing department and his insurance company.  -Said information has already been passed on.

Jose, the world is definitely a better place with you in it!   I'm sure the pilot is very thankful for your help

Cillaliz

« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »

Time for me to go home.   It's been a strange couple days.  I was supposed to go to Des Moines for a seminar tomorrow but decided to stay here and get some work done.   The guy is coming to the new office to measure for the blinds.  I get an allowance toward them, but have to pay the difference so I'm getting the measurements so I can go to the 70% off sale at Penneys before it ends on Monday. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2009, 03:12:38 PM »

Thank You, DR Cillaliz.
Make Your Own Luck.

François

« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2009, 03:13:45 PM »

DR François - You don't have to be a singer to attend a masterclass nor to enjoy the singing and process.

See, I am so "innocent" that I don't know about that... Hmmm .... I'll investigate and see if i can attend!

Now, I think I am right if I quote BK as saying to Miss Callaway:
"Your voice makes me smile ..."

Cillaliz

« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »

Everything in the new space is demoed and the carpenter will start again on Monday (he had the flu).  The painter should be there starting about the 18th.  This is too fun. Especially since I'm not paying for the remodel (except for part of the blinds).  Edith and I went up there at the end of the day today and walked through all the rooms.  I've changed my mind about what we're going to do in a couple of them and may again, but that won't effect the decorating at this point.

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »

Ok, better run, have to hit the bank before it closes

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2009, 04:14:20 PM »

The little tracking ball on the Apple mouse won't work anymore - is there a way to fix it?  Otherwise I'll go to the Apple Store tomorrow and get one of the new and improved versions - it doesn't have a tracking ball at all.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2009, 04:15:37 PM »

So...

I just heard back from the man who my friend and I found passed out on the sidewalk the other night.  He's back home in Virginia, and doing OK, but...

When he woke up in the hospital yesterday morning, he had no idea how he got there, or that he had passed out on the sidewalk the night before.  Apparently, there was no record of who brought him in the night before - no indication of an ambulance or police report on his discharge papers. He's been trying to call the hospital today, but can't get through to anybody who can really help him, so he'll try again in the morning.  So, he kept asking me what I knew, if I knew anything about what had happened, and all I could really tell him was that we found him on the sidewalk, then called 911. I did bring up the fact that I noticed that there was no cash in his wallet, and he said that his watch was also missing.  He then mentioned that some other pilots have dealt with similar situations, and that someone probably slipped something in his beer - he was at the Irish pub around the corner.

So, the mystery is almost solved, and I really am glad that I followed up and that he called me back.

So... Wouldn't there have to be some sort of indication of who brought him into the ER somewhere?

Very scary.  I'm glad he was able to contact you.  You would think there would be a police report.

Jane

« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2009, 04:16:01 PM »

And that's why I don't drink beer or go into Irish pubs.

Sure, that is the reason ;D

Jane

« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2009, 04:16:59 PM »

Well, Otto (DD) seems to be over his week long drug induced haze (which was probably because of the antibiotics) and seems to be back to his normal self.  His paw seems better. 

Great news!  Thanks for the update.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2009, 04:18:35 PM »

I was able to track down someone who works for an insurance company.  He said that since he had already been discharged, all of his records will have been transferred to the Billing department and his insurance company.  -Said information has already been passed on.

Nice, & clever of you to find the answer for him.  I hope the police are investigating this.

Jane

« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2009, 04:20:50 PM »

I guess I never got the point of view of the Mercer documentary except...."and then he wrote.....".....and it wasn't even in much of a chronological order.  I liked the old TV variety show clips....but many of them were too short.

Nice to hear Dinah Shore when she could really sing.

Right...the filmmaker never wanted the story to be chronological, and that was one of the most frustrating things. He never failed to say that J'M's story was "boring". So J.M. had to be linked to any soundbite where a famous author or collaborator is mentioned instead of just the greatness of the music selling itself.

I gained a new appreciation of Dinah from working on this. She seemed like a really nice lady!

Too bad you couldn't make your own covert "original editor's" cut and pass it out among friends and show how much better it could've been (even though I haven't actually seen the broadcast version, yet).

I like this idea :)

DR Edi I'm so sorry this was not the wonderful experience it should have been.

Well, it's not but at least I have a film to work on now that has a great director. The subject matter isn't close to my heart like Mercer but I will learn to like baseball by the end and it's always a joy to collaborate with Peter.

I'm going to want to see this one, and buy a copy for a baseball fan, DS Craig.  I suspect he is a bit down in the dumps today, no job & his beloved Phillies lost.

Jennifer

« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2009, 04:32:43 PM »

DR jose i agree with what everyone else has said about your kindness. Although it's hard to believe everybody wouldn't do what you did.

Jennifer

« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2009, 04:34:28 PM »

My sister, her husband and my niece were able to get their H1N1 shots today. They were supposed to give the coupons at 11am but at 8am they had already started?!?

Anyhow my sister got one at 8:30am for 3pm. Only problem is they were very backed up. Kids between 6 months and 5 are the priority here. And apparently the kids were taking a long time.

My niece was a champ and did not cry. But they did have to wait 2 hours even with their coupon.

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »

Jake the dog wins most write-in votes for council
By Lynn Zerschling lzerschling@siouxcityjournal.com | Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:15 pm

.SIOUX CITY -- Jake the missing Labrador retreiver barked the loudest and grabbed 62 write-in votes for City Council in Tuesday's election, while "Jake's kidnapper" got 1 vote.

Woodbury County Election Commissioner Pat Gill said Wednesday people either penned "Jake," "Jake the dog" or "Jake Rochester" in the write-in category.

Jake was Councilman Aaron Rochester's pet who bit a neighbor June 27 and was declared vicious. After two hearings upheld that declaration, Jake was supposed to be euthanzied, according to a revised city vicious dog law that received unanimous council approval last year.

While on death row in a pen at Sioux City Animal Control, someone kidnapped him on Aug. 2. Jake drew a lot of attention from entrepreneurs who sold T-shirts, while the Weekender magazine started a "Vote Jake" campaign complete with campaign mugs, buttons, bumper stickers and T-shirts.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:59:52 PM by Cillaliz »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2009, 04:51:54 PM »

DR jose i agree with what everyone else has said about your kindness. Although it's hard to believe everybody wouldn't do what you did.

Thank You, DR Jennifer - Well, in "everybody's" defense, I have to say that even we weren't sure if he was homeless, drunk (and about to get up) or ???  Thankfully, our instincts kicked in, and after a few minutes of observing him, we went over and tried to wake him up and help him.  -There are a couple of bars and pubs in that neighborhood - heck, even we had just left a bar - and maybe seeing people drunk is a "normal" thing in that area.  Or not. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2009, 04:52:39 PM »

And that's why I don't drink beer or go into Irish pubs.

Or fly airplanes.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2009, 04:52:57 PM »

Nice, & clever of you to find the answer for him.  I hope the police are investigating this.

...If he can get a hold of the police precinct and officer(s) that responded to our 911 call.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2009, 05:02:48 PM »

As far as the TOD is concerned, mine have already been mentioned.

I, too, like 1962's MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY more than the Gable/Laughton original.  I even like Brando's performance more than Gable's.
THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH from the 1950s, to me, is much more exciting than the early British version.

The remake I can live without is Gus van Sant's PSYCHO.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2009, 05:24:31 PM »

My sister, her husband and my niece were able to get their H1N1 shots today. They were supposed to give the coupons at 11am but at 8am they had already started?!?

Anyhow my sister got one at 8:30am for 3pm. Only problem is they were very backed up. Kids between 6 months and 5 are the priority here. And apparently the kids were taking a long time.

My niece was a champ and did not cry. But they did have to wait 2 hours even with their coupon.

Did you attempt to go with them?

Jane

« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2009, 05:29:01 PM »

Jake the dog wins most write-in votes for council
By Lynn Zerschling lzerschling@siouxcityjournal.com | Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:15 pm

.SIOUX CITY -- Jake the missing Labrador retreiver barked the loudest and grabbed 62 write-in votes for City Council in Tuesday's election, while "Jake's kidnapper" got 1 vote.

Woodbury County Election Commissioner Pat Gill said Wednesday people either penned "Jake," "Jake the dog" or "Jake Rochester" in the write-in category.

Jake was Councilman Aaron Rochester's pet who bit a neighbor June 27 and was declared vicious. After two hearings upheld that declaration, Jake was supposed to be euthanzied, according to a revised city vicious dog law that received unanimous council approval last year.

While on death row in a pen at Sioux City Animal Control, someone kidnapped him on Aug. 2. Jake drew a lot of attention from entrepreneurs who sold T-shirts, while the Weekender magazine started a "Vote Jake" campaign complete with campaign mugs, buttons, bumper stickers and T-shirts.

Thanks Cilla.  If you ever find out where the pooch has been hiding, please let us know.  We had a dog accidentally bite Bryan when he was a toddler.  Luckily I have a brother who could stitch Bryan's face  without reporting the incident.  BTW, my brother the surgeon did a beautiful job on Bryan's face.

Jane

« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2009, 05:30:02 PM »

Thank You, DR Jennifer - Well, in "everybody's" defense, I have to say that even we weren't sure if he was homeless, drunk (and about to get up) or ???  Thankfully, our instincts kicked in, and after a few minutes of observing him, we went over and tried to wake him up and help him.  -There are a couple of bars and pubs in that neighborhood - heck, even we had just left a bar - and maybe seeing people drunk is a "normal" thing in that area.  Or not. :-\

Your reaction was very normal.  I still would like to know if this is really a problem.  Keith said the name of the bar should be posted on the internet. ;D

Jane

« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2009, 05:34:38 PM »

DR Jennifer, this must be big news out your way:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2009-11-05-2135466519_x.htm

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #145 on: November 05, 2009, 05:36:10 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »

One actor is here rehearsing.  I really don't like having these things here.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: November 05, 2009, 05:40:29 PM »

"National gay-rights groups say the passage of Referendum 71 marks the first time a state's voters have approved a gay equality measure at the ballot box."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hlGpneLaOG2koLv6cpbAJoCwS6jQD9BPNCBO0

td

• td
« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2009, 05:41:40 PM »

Even though it's not a media check day, I thought that I would thank DR Edisaurus for making me listen to one of my all-time favorite albums today, Nancy LaMott's COME RAIN OR COME SHINE.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2009, 05:47:38 PM »

Thanks to all for the vibes for my father.  He is home and resting and the final results of the cataract surgery will be known in a few days.  He may have vision blurring for a day or so.

AND feel better vibes for DR VIXMOM!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up