Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LET'S NOT SUGARCOAT IT  (Read 12275 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: LET'S NOT SUGARCOAT IT
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »

DR Ginny I'm glad the service went well.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2009, 11:48:04 AM »

Sometimes even the craziest people are worthwhile department:

A somewhat addle-pated woman whom I occasionally accompany is in the habit of sending me endless forwarded emails, each containing some "gem" she thinks my life wouldn't be complete without.  Well today she actually made me laugh with this one.  Caption reads, "I got pulled over for speeding and was talking my way out of it until the cop saw my dog in the back seat."  :)

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2009, 11:49:42 AM »

I guess I never got the point of view of the Mercer documentary except...."and then he wrote.....".....and it wasn't even in much of a chronological order.  I liked the old TV variety show clips....but many of them were too short.

Nice to hear Dinah Shore when she could really sing.

Right...the filmmaker never wanted the story to be chronological, and that was one of the most frustrating things. He never failed to say that J'M's story was "boring". So J.M. had to be linked to any soundbite where a famous author or collaborator is mentioned instead of just the greatness of the music selling itself.

I gained a new appreciation of Dinah from working on this. She seemed like a really nice lady!

Too bad you couldn't make your own covert "original editor's" cut and pass it out among friends and show how much better it could've been (even though I haven't actually seen the broadcast version, yet).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »

E&T DR Rodzinski just gave me a lovely mention in a plug for Brent Barrett's album in the new Playbill online and that resulted in his getting an email from a reporter who interviewed me a century ago for The Middletown Journal when it was still a newspaper. He wanted Rodzinski to forward an email to me. He did. I emailed said reporter back. I may try to lure him to HHW

That's great, Larry!  Congrats!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2009, 11:52:26 AM »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »

I guess I never got the point of view of the Mercer documentary except...."and then he wrote.....".....and it wasn't even in much of a chronological order.  I liked the old TV variety show clips....but many of them were too short.

Right...the filmmaker never wanted the story to be chronological, and that was one of the most frustrating things. He never failed to say that J'M's story was "boring". So J.M. had to be linked to any soundbite where a famous author or collaborator is mentioned instead of just the greatness of the music selling itself.

I gained a new appreciation of Dinah from working on this. She seemed like a really nice lady!

Too bad you couldn't make your own covert "original editor's" cut and pass it out among friends and show how much better it could've been (even though I haven't actually seen the broadcast version, yet).

I like this idea :)

DR Edi I'm so sorry this was not the wonderful experience it should have been.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2009, 12:05:29 PM »

Good Afternoon!

...Or could just fall back asleep for couple of hours... ???  :-\  8)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2009, 12:21:21 PM »

So...

I just heard back from the man who my friend and I found passed out on the sidewalk the other night.  He's back home in Virginia, and doing OK, but...

When he woke up in the hospital yesterday morning, he had no idea how he got there, or that he had passed out on the sidewalk the night before.  Apparently, there was no record of who brought him in the night before - no indication of an ambulance or police report on his discharge papers. He's been trying to call the hospital today, but can't get through to anybody who can really help him, so he'll try again in the morning.  So, he kept asking me what I knew, if I knew anything about what had happened, and all I could really tell him was that we found him on the sidewalk, then called 911. I did bring up the fact that I noticed that there was no cash in his wallet, and he said that his watch was also missing.  He then mentioned that some other pilots have dealt with similar situations, and that someone probably slipped something in his beer - he was at the Irish pub around the corner.

So, the mystery is almost solved, and I really am glad that I followed up and that he called me back.

So... Wouldn't there have to be some sort of indication of who brought him into the ER somewhere?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2009, 12:35:16 PM »

Can anyone else besides JR mention that absolutely bizarre remake of a Frances Farmer film, in fact a Farmer film that may be a propos to a lot of yesterday and today's posts?

"Not I," said DR JoseSPiano.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »

And that's why I don't drink beer or go into Irish pubs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2009, 12:42:03 PM »

I did the two-mile jog, then went to the tape transfer place and listened to a little bit of an upcoming project - I think that like Taras Bulba I will be able to do a pretty good job of making it sound much better than its previous LP and CD release.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2009, 12:42:49 PM »

I grabbed a quick sandwich and fries and am now home.  I thought I had till seven all by myself with nothing to do, but now a singer wants to meet the composer here at five-thirty - what can you do?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »

Well, Otto (DD) seems to be over his week long drug induced haze (which was probably because of the antibiotics) and seems to be back to his normal self.  His paw seems better.  Now the task begins of beginning to landscape the backyard so he and Manny (the little DD) stop digging holes.  I do enjoy working on the yard, but I rarely have time.  I'm trying to fix that...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2009, 12:56:27 PM »

DR Matthew - Glad to hear that DD Otto is back to normal.
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2009, 01:00:37 PM »

Jose, ERs are so busy that anyone could have just walked him in and then left.

"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »

I have been watching ZORRO episodes all day long (except for lunch out with friends). There were the Cesar Romero episodes and the three Annette episodes (complete with song). Jonathan Harris stopped by as a villain for a story arc and so did Lee Van Cleef. They used many more guest stars during season two than they did in season one.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2009, 01:14:15 PM »

The show spent the first 1/3 of the season in Monterey instead of Los Angeles, but I was glad to get back to L.A. for the remainder of the season. More comedy in season two and in most episodes, Zorro didn't even show up until the last six or seven minutes of the program.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »

I have the bonus features disc now to watch. Two more one hour Disneyland episodes of ZORRO (Annette is in one of them, I believe) and then a tribute to Guy WIlliams which I'm anxious to see since I think he's just excellent.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2009, 01:16:21 PM »

Otherwise, I didn't get anything else watched. No MODERN FAMILY, no Kathy Griffin, no soaps, no MAD MEN, nothing.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »

Jose, ERs are so busy that anyone could have just walked him in and then left.

I was able to track down someone who works for an insurance company.  He said that since he had already been discharged, all of his records will have been transferred to the Billing department and his insurance company.  -Said information has already been passed on.
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2009, 01:32:45 PM »

Believe me, we thought of that, but when I left we got rid of one editing system and then were both too busy to do it. And we didn't get the masters, etc. until the very end, so it would hahve looked low-res anbd ugly and not mixed.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2009, 01:35:19 PM »

Well, it's not but at least I have a film to work on now that has a great director. The subject matter isn't close to my heart like Mercer but I will learn to like baseball by the end and it's always a joy to collaborate with Peter.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »

Where did that happen again, DR Jose? (Just wondering if it was *my* Irish pub...)

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2009, 01:54:08 PM »

Hopping off-line now to write for a little bit and then head back down to complete ZORRO's bonus features.

Then, I should have some time to watch prime time TV tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2009, 01:54:24 PM »

Spoo!

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2009, 02:07:52 PM »

Where did that happen again, DR Jose? (Just wondering if it was *my* Irish pub...)

It happened in midtown East.  We found him on the corner of 45th & Lexington.  Not exactly sure which Irish pub he was at.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »

Very tragic news coming out of Foot Hood Army Base in Texas right now...

~~~~~THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2009, 02:15:43 PM »

It's so wonderful to just be relaxing - no liner notes (yet), no shipping (yet), just sitting on my couch like so much fish until five-thirty.  Think I'll go see if any packages are here.

François

« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2009, 02:42:28 PM »

Hear! Hear!

Miss Liz Callaway to give Master Classes in Paris next January!

Gee, I wish I were a professional singer!

Now, ain't that great news?  ;D

"Broadways Mélodies du 6 au 19 janvier 2010

Avec le soutien de l'AFDAS, Diva organise 12 jours de master classes de pure comédie musicale, sous la direction de David Charles Abell chef d'orchestre (Les Misérables, On the Town, Kiss me Kate, Miss Saïgon, West Side Story,..) avec Liz Callaway, singing actress plusieurs fois nominée ou primée à Broadway et Frédérique Varda, soprano colorature.

Première session d'un cycle de stages et de master classes siglés Diva, avec le Centre de documentation et de recherche pour le Théâtre musical."

MBarnum

« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2009, 02:49:29 PM »

Me, also. In fact I think it is a crime!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up