Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG TO-DO  (Read 13663 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE BIG TO-DO
« on: November 08, 2009, 12:06:40 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were a big to-do about a big to-do, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently making a big to-do about a big to-MOO.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE BIG TO-DO
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 12:07:24 AM »

And the word of the day is: SACERDOTAL!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:31:17 AM »

Well, last night I went to see a local production of "The Turn of the Screw," that only has two actors (actually if you want to get technical, it has one actor and one actress).  Anyway, it was wonderful.  There was no set, except for a short set of stairs and a black box to sit upon...and that was it.  There were about 15 or so people in the audience, but everyone enjoyed it thoroughly.  It was spooky, had a bit of humor and quite intense, especially at the end.  I may go back next weekend!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 12:39:15 AM »

Also, I haven't watched it yet, but my sister's boyfriend was able to record the Johnny Mercer documentary for me, and he gave me the DVD today.  I went to my parents' house for dinner before the show and he came with my sister and niece.  Even though I haven't watched it, I wanted to see the HHW reference in the credits...and here they are:

and notice the first credit on this screen capture and then look right in the middle:

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 12:40:19 AM »

;D

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 01:53:39 AM »

Thank you George.       

"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 01:53:52 AM »

Good morning everyone.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 02:00:23 AM »

Love the Brent Barrett "Christmas Mornings" cd.

Happy Holidays.

Sam

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 02:04:40 AM »

Just got really tired, is it 2AM or 3AM ?  Is the HHW clock  :-\

Guess I better catch up on posts after some sleep.  :-[

FJL

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 04:01:59 AM »

Thanks for posting that, George.

Julie

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 05:16:26 AM »

Good morning to all.

Julie

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 05:20:33 AM »

Yesterday, I saw a very interesting show at Playwrights Horizons, called Circle Mirror Transformation.  I was also treated to an excellent dinner cooked by Mr. Skip himself.  Yum!  Thanks DR FJL!

Julie

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 05:22:06 AM »

Thanks for posting the screen capture, George.  Very cool.

Julie

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 05:24:49 AM »

Today I will go over to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to visit the special Vermeer exhibit, and then a walk through Central Park.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 05:37:42 AM »

That's cool, George! I totally missed that during the airing. I'm glad Crabapple made it, too. They were the other thanks I submitted. They gave me about 50 discs of radio shows at a reduced rate because they love Johnny. Of course, not one second of these marvelous shows was left in the doc, but I certainly had a wonderful time listening to them.

The good that I've taken away from this film is a deep appreciation of J.M.'s talent, getting to see a lot of amazing, rare films (I especially loved KING OF JAZZ and the old "soundies") discovering artists I wasn't that familiar with (Jack Teagarden, Paramount's stable of actors, etc.) and best of all, Brandon. He was recommended to me by the original producer. He was out of a job and working as a doorman at a club and asked her if he could be a P.A. I figured I could use him as an assistant since he'd done some editing. He turned out to be a fantastic editor so I started giving him some of the new performances to cut and he did a great job. So I gave him self-contained stores to cut, like the Capitol records sequence, which was my link to WWII. (Margaret Whiting told a great story about how they were able to start the company even though there was a shortage of shellac during the war.) Johnny was at the height of his popularity during WWII due to his great Armed Forces radio broadcasts and his own shows.

But WWII wasn't even addressed. There was no linear storytelling, it was random bites and chronology all over the place, kind of like someone had taken what we'd cut and put it in a blender, thrown it against a wall and you see a few chunks of recognizable stuff.

I promoted Brandon to associate editor after seeing what he could do, and finagled him a pay raise. But after I left, I was so grateful to Brandon for hanging in there. (He would have jump ship if he'd had somewhere to jump!) Even though he had to execute the "creative decisions" from on high, he did his best to make it the best he could. And even though he had never shepherded a beast like this through online, he was able to accomplish it without too much coaching from me. I insisted on sharing my editor's card with him out of gratitude, and I am going to be bringing him on to my current project until I'm done with THE CLOSER. He's the first editor I've known that made me feel comfortable doing that!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:54:13 AM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Julie

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 05:38:33 AM »

Yogi Bear is beautiful, Jane!

Julie

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 05:39:08 AM »

Feel better vibes to Larry.

Julie

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 05:40:05 AM »

And to Jennifer's niece, too.

Edisaurus

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 05:41:23 AM »

My TMJ started with said film and has been continuing because of too much work and probably too much coffee!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 05:44:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: SACERDOTAL!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  A LITTLE PRIEST

Julie

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 05:45:22 AM »

That's cool, George! I totally missed that during the airing. I'm glad Crabapple made it, too. They were the other thanks I submitted. They gave me about 50 discs of radio shows at a reduced rate because they love Johnny. Of course, not one second of these marvelous shows was left in the doc, but I certainly had a wonderful time listening to them.

The good that I've taken away from this film is a deep appreciation of J.M.'s talent, getting to see a lot of amazing, rare films (I especially loved KING OF JAZZ and the old "soundies") discovering artists I wasn't that familiar with (Jack Teagarden, Paramount's stable of actors, etc.) and best of all, Brandon Arnold. He was recommended to me by the original producer. He was out of a job and working as a doorman at a club and asked her if he could be a P.A. I figured I could use him as an assistant since he'd done some editing. He turned out to be a fantastic editor so I started giving him some of the new performances to cut and he did a great job. So I gave him self-contained stores to cut, like the Capitol records sequence, which was my link to WWII. (Margaret Whiting told a great story about how they were able to start the company even though there was a shortage of shellac during the war.) Johnny was at the height of his popularity during WWII due to his great Armed Forces radio broadcasts and his own shows.

But WWII wasn't even addressed. There was no linear storytelling, it was random bites and chronology all over the place, kind of like someone had taken what we'd cut and put it in a blender, thrown it against a wall and you see a few chunks of recognizable stuff.

I promoted Brandon to associate editor after seeing what he could do, and finagled him a pay raise. But after I left, I was so grateful to Brandon for hanging in there. (He would have jump ship if he'd had somewhere to jump!) Even though he had to execute the "creative decisions" from on high, he did his best to make it the best he could. And even though he had never shepherded a beast like this through online, he was able to accomplish it without too much coaching from me. I insisted on sharing my editor's card with him out of gratitude, and I am going to be bringing him on to my current project until I'm done with THE CLOSER. He's the first editor I've known that made me feel comfortable doing that!

I really enjoy reading about the whole process and the stories about the people you work with.  Thanks for sharing this very interesting one about Brandon with us.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 05:45:42 AM »

GET BETTER MARIMBAS TO LARRY

Edisaurus

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 06:03:59 AM »

Looking at the credits, I do think it's interesting, and obviously, a directorial decision, to place people below in "Atlanta Post-Production",  as though there had been any going on anywhere else. He also tried to pigeonhole the original director into "Atlanta and Savannah crew", even though she and Greg and the cameraman had shot interviews in NY (Margaret Whiting, Joe Harris) and LA (A. Bergman solo, G. Mancini, Johnny's daughter, Ray Evans) but nothing in Atlanta! He never passed up an opportunity to denigrate the south but I can say that this piece got way more loving care than it would have gotten anywhere else, due to a fine sound mixer and an absolutely fanatically detailed-oriented on-line editor who wouldn't settle for anything until it was as perfect as he could make it, despite also taking care of a wife going through breast cancer treatment. In lesser hands it would be unwatchable...now it's just, to me, unsatisfying.

Edisaurus

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 06:05:58 AM »

I <heart> Yogi.

Edisaurus

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 06:06:41 AM »

Can't wait to see what the big to-do is about!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 06:12:49 AM »

Good morning, all! I still have no voice, but I think staying in a day was a good decision, and I shall do the same today.  I have some edits on Mr Kern's score for OH, BOY!, as well as some GENTLEMEN BE SEATED edits for Mr Moross. I think what I shall do is work this mprning into the early afternoon and then spend the rest of the day watching television and drinking ginger tea with honey, all very sedate but, I'm sure, good for me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vibes for DR cillaliz' family, those TMJ sufferers, and anyone else in strife, ill health, or other travails today! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 06:13:23 AM »

Can't wait to see what the big to-do is about!

I guessing THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 06:16:14 AM »

Thanks for the JM Project details, DR EDISAURUS!

Health vibes for the DN of DR CILLA LIZ.

Yes, MAN MEN finale tonight......and TAR!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 06:16:23 AM »

But of course first I have to work.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Julie

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 06:21:15 AM »

I can't believe it's been 20 years since the fall of the Berlin wall.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up