Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I'LL THINK ABOUT IT TOMORROW  (Read 12919 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: I'LL THINK ABOUT IT TOMORROW
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2009, 08:37:08 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... I ended up taking the D Train down to Columbus Circle earlier - thankfully, no stabbings took place during my ride - and had intended just to walk around a bit as well as make a stop into Whole Foods.  Well...  After running into various people and getting some phone calls, I ended up out in Elmhurst for a totally dee-licious Malaysian meal.

And now...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2009, 08:38:54 PM »

I really enjoyed my day off today, but it's back to work tomorrow: Criterion's A CHRISTMAS TALE (a French film I've never seen). I have both the DVD and Blu-ray versions, but I'll start with the DVD.

DR MattH - I saw "A Christmas Tale" last year and loved it.  A true quirky French film. -And Catherine Deneuve is still a stunner.

*And if you happen to not have a need for the DVD version of the movie after you review it, well... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2009, 08:39:54 PM »

Kate is BEEE-you-TEE-Full!!!

Yes, she is. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2009, 08:41:37 PM »

Well, I must be going.  Tonight, I'm ushering for Eric Michael Gillett, here in Olympia.  He's doing four performances in the WCPA Black Box, which holds about 120 people (at the most).  It should be very good!

Eric was also in the cast of All About Us up at Westport.  -I wonder if he's tried to get any of the cabaret shows he's directed for Karen Akers out to that venue too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »

That's interesting.

My dad was a very macho guy and yet his two favorite movies sound more like something I'd like: MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION (not the color remake) and NAUGHTY MARIETTA!

Now that's eclectic and varied! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2009, 08:45:45 PM »

I just watched Miss Deneuve at her most beautiful in Belle du Jour.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2009, 08:49:48 PM »

Just reading a review of A Christmas Tale - I'm not really believing what Criterion has put on the box for this film - "New, restored digital transfer"

Excuse me (to quote my favorite expression from Lost, seasons one through five)?  Restored?  A film made - one year ago?  Are these people insane?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2009, 08:55:53 PM »

So...

I'm booked to play auditions this Wednesday. It's an all-day gig, 10-6.  And then the next day is Thanksgiving.  And I need to back here on Saturday for something. Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2009, 08:56:52 PM »

Just reading a review of A Christmas Tale - I'm not really believing what Criterion has put on the box for this film - "New, restored digital transfer"

Excuse me (to quote my favorite expression from Lost, seasons one through five)?  Restored?  A film made - one year ago?  Are these people insane?

HA! That even made me laugh!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2009, 09:04:36 PM »

One of the vendors had fresh "heritage" cranberries, so I guess I'll be making something cranberry-ish tonight or tomorrow. ;)

Jose, please let me know what you end up making (and how to make it)-- I may end up making something cranberryish for Thanksgiving, and I could use some ideas.

DR Kerry - If I can dig up the recipe for this Cranberry-Pecan-Brown Sugar Coffee Cake I used to make, well... That's what I'm going to make.  However, I also may make a small batch of my mom's Cranberry-Orange Relish - I usually end up eating it straight out of the bowl.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2009, 09:06:45 PM »

WOW!

Joseph Gordon-Levitt just did "Make 'Em Laugh" as his opening monologue on "SNL".  -Complete with the "wall flips"!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2009, 09:31:17 PM »

One of the vendors had fresh "heritage" cranberries, so I guess I'll be making something cranberry-ish tonight or tomorrow. ;)

Jose, please let me know what you end up making (and how to make it)-- I may end up making something cranberryish for Thanksgiving, and I could use some ideas.

DR Kerry - If I can dig up the recipe for this Cranberry-Pecan-Brown Sugar Coffee Cake I used to make, well... That's what I'm going to make.  However, I also may make a small batch of my mom's Cranberry-Orange Relish - I usually end up eating it straight out of the bowl.

YUM!  I'd love those recipes if you'd like to share

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2009, 10:15:47 PM »

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to say goodnight.

;D

"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

DAW

« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2009, 10:38:39 PM »

I'm going to advantage

Apparently, my penchant has increased to stealing whole words now...               ;D

DAW

« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2009, 10:39:37 PM »

I am a bit surprised to hear about the Prince Albert.

DR TCB got a Prince Albert??             :o

DAW

« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2009, 10:40:10 PM »

Good night, DR Sam!!!!      May you have most pleasant dreams!!!!!!          :)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2009, 10:43:01 PM »

I've been watching LARK RISE TO CANDLEFORD. Those DRs who so enjoyed CRANFORD a year or so ago may also enjoy this. BBC does period drama so well!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2009, 10:43:33 PM »

Oy, what a day.  We spent a good hour to an hour and a half at La Manse.  Of course we found more "issues" this time since we're really serious now, LOL.  It seems likely it needs a whole new roof, and there are signs that at one point one of the kitchen sinks (yes, there are two--it's one of those huge gourmet kitchens, though the appliances are ancient) leaked and part of the rec room ceiling underneath in the basement has been removed.  I also did a walking tour of the property and discovered that someone had been dumping garbage part of the way back so that will need to be dealt with.  But we're still excited.  The big issues are, of course, the mechanicals--furnaces, pool pumps, etc.  The pool, which is more or less drained, has a little residue of sludgy brown water in the deep end so we're wondering what cleaning that up will entail.  There was also a poor little tiny dead mouse in the shallow end we hadn't noticed before.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2009, 10:44:32 PM »

In better news, we had an incredible turnout for Dave Frishberg tonight.  He did a bunch of rarer tunes, including several he wrote with Johnny Mandel.  I of course got to hang with him quite a bit and he shared some very sweet stories about one of my favorite singers, Lani Hall.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2009, 10:46:17 PM »

Congrats to DR JMK. May it all go smoothly.

DAW

« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2009, 10:48:54 PM »

Cute clip, Laura DR!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2009, 10:49:24 PM »

It seems that DR Jose needs to learn the art of bilocation ASAP!

DAW

« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2009, 10:51:12 PM »

YUM!  I'd love those recipes if you'd like to share

Me, too!      :)

DAW

« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2009, 10:53:51 PM »

DR JMK - it will be interesting to see what it's like negotiating with the bank on all of this stuff in a foreclosure deal.    I hope it is not too rough on you.

DAW

« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2009, 10:56:01 PM »

JMK

« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2009, 10:56:52 PM »

DR JMK - it will be interesting to see what it's like negotiating with the bank on all of this stuff in a foreclosure deal.    I hope it is not too rough on you.

Actually, because they're required to provide so much (boilerplate) information, we have a good handle on what to expect.  They will not make any cosmetic repairs, we know that.  But we obviously can't get insurance or even an appraisal underwritten if the roof is bad and some of the other stuff is bad (like the septic tank or the well), so they have to be willing to negotiate.  They've had several sale fails, we're hoping they've wised up to the fact no one is going to take the house "as is" without some price concessions or repairs.  Evidently the last sale fail was because the buyer asked for price concessions AND repairs.  I basically just want price concessions, I'll handle the repairs myself.  :)

DAW

« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2009, 10:57:36 PM »

It's great to hear that your Frishberg concert went so well, DR JMK.    Hope that translates into better attendance for the balance of your program year.

JMK

« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »

Frishberg told an hysterical story about shilling his tunes to publishers in the early 1960's in NYC.  He was playing one of his tunes and the publisher asked him, "What's that chord?"  Dave replied, "A B 7th."  Publisher:  "That's where you lose them."  I laughed and laughed.

JMK

« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2009, 10:59:35 PM »

Another publisher told him to concentrate on cowboy songs and to remember "It doesn't have to be good."

DAW

« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2009, 10:59:41 PM »

Having worked for a relocation company, I'm sure that the bank has numerous inspections in their file and knows exactly what all of the problems are.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up