Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LONG PARAGRAPHS  (Read 52152 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE LONG PARAGRAPHS
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2004, 08:16:13 AM »

I'm rather fond of Goodtime, Charley.  Lots of nice things in it.

I have never had any use for Le Petit Prince in any of its variations...probably because it's so damned French.

Jennifer, George's enthusiasm is addictive.  He makes me happy when I watch him perform.  I understand why Simon keeps making remarks about LaToya as a wedding singer or a cruise ship entertainer. She's very good and technically proficient, but somehow I just don't care...There is no spark there for me.

BK, you're right.  I haven't lost a pound on Atkins.  There is only one, simple effective way to lose weight.  Burn more calories than you take in. You do this two ways, by eating less or ramping up your exercise. Preferably both.  I'm going for my walk now.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2004, 08:44:14 AM »

The thing that I love about George is his enthusiasm. He is so damned glad to be there, and he shows it with every performance and with every word out of his mouth. He wasn't among the judges' choices to participate in the semifinals, and he wouldn't have been there if one of the other semifinalists hadn't been involved in a DUI offense the week before he was slated to perform. He was cut, and George was brought it as his replacement. So, for George to be there and keep performing so entertainingly week after week, well, he's certainly one of my favorites.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2004, 08:50:52 AM »

Yes, AMERICAN IDOL comes on at 8. It's an hour tonight, and Tamyra Gray is singing as a guest star. To drag the show out to an hour, they'll have to do a couple of production numbers, too..

Thanks.  I'm sure they mentioned it many times on FOX.  But in Canada they show the CTV feed instead of the FOX feed.   And I didn't see any announcements for it being a 1 hour show tonight.  I just happened to notice the schedule in my tv this morning and saw it said 1 hour.

Btw, tonight will be reality mania with a repeat of last week's Apprentice, a new 2 hr Bachelor, and a new FOX show called The Swan (where they give major surgerical make-overs to 18 women who then compete in a beauty pageant without ever having seen their new appearance).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2004, 08:51:39 AM »

Ah, the English language. How did that ulcer get up to the Bronx, I'd like to know?

"There's an ulcer in the Bronx,
Brooklyn's got a case of mites,
There's a rectal probe in progress
That's backed up to Jackson Heights..."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2004, 08:58:07 AM »

Jennifer, George's enthusiasm is addictive.  He makes me happy when I watch him perform.  I understand why Simon keeps making remarks about LaToya as a wedding singer or a cruise ship entertainer. She's very good and technically proficient, but somehow I just don't care...There is no spark there for me.

I agree with you on George, DR Pogue, but what's this "keeps making remarks about LaToya"?  Until last night, Simon did nothing but gush over her, as did Paula and Randy.

For the most part, they've set her up as the "ideal" by which all other contestants should measure themselves...a rather unfair demand on their part, I've always thought.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2004, 09:22:19 AM »

Re album cover misprints:  My CD of In Trousers indicates (in several places) that the role of Marvin is played by Chip Zion.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 09:24:34 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2004, 09:23:48 AM »

Reprise! Broadway's Best has announced its 2004-2005 season:  Brigadoon, Pippin and Applause.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2004, 09:28:17 AM »

Dear BK: Is the menu set for the reading?  Or are you going to play some of it by ear?

(To everyone else: BK's readings are yummilicious.  You really should go if you're in the area.)

Yes, the menu is set - there will be cake for sure.  And no, I don't have to rush off at the end of the reading.  I can stay until the cows come home.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2004, 09:28:37 AM »

BK, did your Leslie Parrish PERRY MASON episode play yet this week? If it is the CASE OF THE MADCAP MODISTE (one of my favorite episodes) then it also stars Ms. Dorothy Neumann who is a wonderful character actress! You will also see Ms. Marie Windsor as well. Good episode.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2004, 09:30:34 AM »

Good morning, all.  DR Jed, thank you for the link to the WONDERFALLS debacle.  This got me thinking about the series' demise, and a list of questions about the Fox Network's decision to cancel.  Perhaps dear friend BK might have an answer to some of these:

1.  Why would a network even schedule a series if they had no faith in it?
2.  After three episodes, Fox moved it to a different night so even word-of-mouth couldn't keep track of it; is this a definite attempt to lose it?   Moving the show to Thursday, which set it against the final episodes of THE APPRENTICE, seems to me a deliberate attempt to sabotage it.
3.  After the moronic BOSTON PUBLIC (yeah, my high school prom could afford Whitney Huston, too) got two more years than it deserved, why was Fox being so charitable to this and so uncivil to WONDERFALLS?

It's hard to know why networks do what they do.  There is no predicting what they'll do, it sometimes is the whim of whomever is running things - maybe they owned a piece of Boston Public and maybe they didn't of Wonderfalls.  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2004, 09:35:14 AM »

I'm trying to listen to the RAdio Show - but no luck. I think I have everything in my computer that is required - so why can't I listen?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2004, 09:37:12 AM »

So, my questions for ASK BK DAY sould be:
Why isn't the musical HALF A SIXPENCE revived?
What are the major differences between the London and the Broadway versions?
If it were to be revived today, is there a more than triple-threat performer who could play the part of Kipps?
What George Sidney films do you like most?
What George Sidney films do you like least?

It's perfectly fine for people to disagree with me about Half a Sixpence.  The only thing I find charming about it is some of the songs and Miss Foster.  I also saw the touring company with Mr. Kallman and didn't love it.

As far as I can tell, the difference between the two productions are mostly songs.  I'm Not Talkin' To You, which is in the film, wasn't in the B'way version as far as I can tell from the track listing, but was in the London version.  The B'way version has a different final song as well.  I don't think Onna White was the choreographer of the London version.

I don't think the show is revived because it's slight, and because I can't think of many people who could do the lead who would get people into the theater.

Which answers your third question.

Favorite Sidney film: I enjoy Bye Bye Birdie for various reasons, and I like Viva Las Vegas and even parts of Showboat.

Least favorite: Half a Sixpence, I'm afraid.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2004, 09:39:11 AM »

For ask BK Day - When is the Broadway World interview running so we can finally get the answers to last week's Ask BK questions?  Should we re-ask them today?

Mr. Brockman assures me it will be up in the latter half of this evening.  It was originally supposed to be up on Friday, then the weekend, then last night.  But, Mr. Brockman has been busy and not feeling well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2004, 09:43:11 AM »

I agree and disagree with you, bk, about the previous two Ultra-Resolution releases. I also think THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD isn't sharp enough. The color is gorgeous but the focus seems just a tad off.

But I think SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is simply astonishing looking. Sharp as a tack, and I don't see any of the sepia/Eastman tint on my monitor that you described.

It IS sharp as a tack.  But if you'd ever seen an IB Tech print of the film you would see what I describe instantly.  I totally understand that if there is no point of reference then the new DVD is spectacular.  If I'd never seen or never owned various Tech prints, I'd think so too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2004, 09:44:20 AM »

BK, did your Leslie Parrish PERRY MASON episode play yet this week? If it is the CASE OF THE MADCAP MODISTE (one of my favorite episodes) then it also stars Ms. Dorothy Neumann who is a wonderful character actress! You will also see Ms. Marie Windsor as well. Good episode.

I think it's airing today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2004, 09:45:27 AM »

Panni: You must have RealPlayer.  If you don't, you can't listen.  You can download it for free right on the radio page.

Still waiting for suggestions for the reading.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2004, 09:46:23 AM »

Oh, and having watched another twenty minutes of Meet Me in St. Louis, I'm probably going to revise my transfer opinion upwards.  It seems to get better after the opening scenes.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2004, 09:49:55 AM »

BK question of the day: Now that you have seen two (2) Bollywood movies (BHOOT BUNGLA and GUMNAAM) what are your true feelings about them and do you plan on seeing any more in the future or have you had your fill?

FYI:They are very inexpensive on DVD ...from 2.99 to 9.99 for most titles if you know the right companies to buy from, which is why I can afford to buy so many of them, and in fact India Weekly (www.festasy.com) is having a special where they have dozens and dozens of titles, vintage and current, on sale for just 1.99...I can forward the "special price e-mail to anyone who is interested)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 09:58:05 AM by MBarnum »

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2004, 10:01:52 AM »

Laura II

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2004, 10:07:21 AM »

Good vibes to MS's father!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2004, 10:23:40 AM »

‘American Idol’ gives too much power to the People
Rabid fans help untalented performers

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4649112/

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2004, 10:25:05 AM »

Good Afternoon!

DR Tomovoz - Thanks for the Brenda Holloway "hint" about "Every Little Bit Hurts".  I'm doing this benefit for a theatre in DC and the writer wants to use that song, but he only knew the Aretha Franklin version.  Well, after some searching - and some downloading from iTunes - we found out that Aretha Franklin did indeed cover the song - and that's the version he wants to use as a basis for this "skit".  I had Brenda Holloway in my head, but he "swore" it was Aretha Franklin, and since songs can have the same title..  -And, actually, many people covered this song - among them Petula Clark, and The Clash(!) (which is very close in style to the original).

Questions for Ask BK Day:

-Does "Every Little Bit Hurt(s)"?
-Why do "We Gotta Get Out of This Place"?

With all this talk of transfers, do studios ever sell or "provide" original and/or restored prints to those with the funds to buy them - and the equipment to show them?

And with the various enhancements done for DVD releases, does it also mean - hopefully - that an actual "film" enhancement is also done at the same time?  -for showing in an actual movie theatre.

*On a related note, there was an article in this week's Washington City Paper regarding a possible change at the Uptown (movie) Theater here in DC.  The Uptown is a great place to see movies - LARGE screen, nice seats, and it tends to attract people who really LOVE to watch movies.  -They were one of the houses that showed all LOTR films at once.  The Uptown is also one of the few remaining theatres that uses actual reel projectors for their films - with actual projector operators running them.  And those guys really take wonderful care of the prints - just try and find a scratch or stray piece of dust when you see a film there a few weeks into its engagement!  Well, the chain that runs the theatre is talking about switching to "platters"... which any usher could be authorized/promoted to run.  Well, I don't know where this is going... so... In any case, interesting case.. And it will be interesting to see where it all ends up.  Hopefully, the three projectionists - who are also IATSE members - will still have jobs in the near and not so near future.

Ramble, ramble, ramble....

Well, I'm finally going to check out the gym I get to go to for free while I'm working at Ford's.  Apparently, it's very nice - one of those wood-paneled locker places.  Swanky, huh?  Hopefully, I'll have a full report later - so to speak.

???

Ciao for niao.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2004, 10:30:17 AM »

RLP, I have some memory of Simon...rather early on...referring to one of LaToya's performances as a cruise ship singer as well...It may have been before she got into the finals.  She's a perfectly fine singer, but it's just like I've seen it all so many times before.  Nothing unique.  Nothing bad, but nothing that makes me perk up and say, "I must run out and buy that album."  

Of course, it will probably be a cold day in Hell, before I run out and buy any American Idol album.  Because even someone interesting like Clay is given a bunch of bland, indifferent, homogenized, pop crap to sing on his album.  If I was producing his album...it would be full of show tunes.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 10:53:50 AM by Charles Pogue »

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2004, 10:37:28 AM »

And last week Simon didn't like LaToya either commenting that she had a cat on her head! :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2004, 10:37:29 AM »

Oh, Washington City Paper is now on-line, so...  From April 2, 2004 edition:

Pure Projection
By Robert Lalasz
When Rob Baxter went to the Uptown Theatre last month, he thought it would be just another night at the movies. But what he found out should make every Washington filmgoer jump out of her stadium seat in outrage.

On March 8, the Austin, Texas–based lighting designer and production electrician had just finished some work for the New York City Ballet at the Kennedy Center. Baxter wanted to see The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, but when he got to the theater, an ambulance was taking away projectionist Andy McCormack, who said he’d been overcome with toxic fumes, possibly from spilled cleaning solvent.

Firemen briefly held up the screening to investigate the smell, and after Baxter came back a half-hour later, the film still wasn’t running. So the former movie-house manager ran upstairs and found an Uptown custodian finally starting up the first reel—without any sound. Baxter put things right and then settled down to watch what he calls “a pristine print” of Return, which had already been playing at the theater for three months.

“It was obvious that these guys were using their cotton gloves,” he says of McCormack and the other two Uptown projectionists, José Gonzalez and Steve Guttag. “I had no idea that I was walking into such a fantastic movie space. I’ve been in the Steven Ross Theater at the Warner Bros. Studio in L.A., and the Uptown was nicer.”

Not news to most area film lovers, who know what a treasure the deco-era movie palace is. But listen to what Baxter found out from an Uptown manager: Loews Cineplex Entertainment, which operates the theater, wants to replace the Uptown’s two ’60s-vintage vertical-reel projectors with a modern, horizontal-format platter system. That would also mean cutting the hours of the theater’s professional projectionists, who belong to Local 224 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, and leaving the house managers to run the new equipment—most likely by just hitting Start.

In other words, one of the best places to watch a movie on the East Coast might soon become a lot more like Regal Ballston Common 12. On the Uptown’s 32-by-70-foot screen, we’re talking hairs the size of anacondas when someone forgets to clean the film gate. Dancing green scratch lines that run across the frame for 45 minutes. Ruined prints and canceled shows when the plattered film runs off its numerous rollers and pulleys while the manager is downstairs filling out time sheets or cleaning up a Coke spill.

“I don’t like platters,” says David Hoag, a projectionist at the AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center, which still uses a vertical change-over system like the Uptown’s. “All that film is out in the air—it gets easily scratched, picks up dirt, and it’s easily degraded. When we showed A Hard Day’s Night, it had just come from a platter, and it had all these sideways scratches.”

Loews Vice President for Operations Paul Wehrle admits that the chain is “looking to upgrade” the Uptown’s projection equipment. But he denies that the change is imminent, and he scoffs at worries that a platter would ruin the Uptown experience. In fact, he suggests, it’ll enhance it.

“There’s less of a chance of something going wrong,” he says, adding that the Uptown’s current system leads to interruptions and color shifts. “[The platter is] just the contemporary way of exhibiting films.”

And you’re welcome to it, says Gonzalez, who makes $12 an hour. “The image you will see on the screen, the sound quality you’ll hear, the professional presentation, lack of interruptions...will not be the same—not by any means,” he argues. The 15-year union veteran says he’ll quit when a platter is installed and managers are projecting.

Wehrle counters that Loews has “no intention of having nontrained people running that booth.” But according to Keith Madden, president of Local 224, Loews and other exhibition chains habitually reclassify ushers as supervisors so they can operate projectors without running afoul of labor laws.

“It’s a craft. It’s not rocket science, but you’re better off knowing what you’re doing,” says Madden. “Hollywood pays tens of millions to produce and distribute these films, and the whole business comes down to having the projectionist have the last cut.”

Wehrle hesitates for several seconds when asked if the Uptown’s union projectionists are on their way out. “I’m going to use dedicated projectionists to the extent we feel is necessary,” he finally says. “These guys are trying to make it into an exhibition issue, when what it really is for them is a jobs issue.”
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2004, 10:51:02 AM »

Jennifer, regards the article about people having too much power in AI, I thought it interesting last night when Elton John said he had been shocked when LaToya had been in the bottom three last week and said something like, "Just goes to show you how many idiots there are out there."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2004, 10:51:20 AM »

BK question of the day: Now that you have seen two (2) Bollywood movies (BHOOT BUNGLA and GUMNAAM) what are your true feelings about them and do you plan on seeing any more in the future or have you had your fill?

FYI:They are very inexpensive on DVD ...from 2.99 to 9.99 for most titles if you know the right companies to buy from, which is why I can afford to buy so many of them, and in fact India Weekly (www.festasy.com) is having a special where they have dozens and dozens of titles, vintage and current, on sale for just 1.99...I can forward the "special price e-mail to anyone who is interested)

I wouldn't mind more Bollywood.  I've actually seen about six films.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2004, 10:54:51 AM »

Good Afternoon!

DR Tomovoz - Thanks for the Brenda Holloway "hint" about "Every Little Bit Hurts".  I'm doing this benefit for a theatre in DC and the writer wants to use that song, but he only knew the Aretha Franklin version.  Well, after some searching - and some downloading from iTunes - we found out that Aretha Franklin did indeed cover the song - and that's the version he wants to use as a basis for this "skit".  I had Brenda Holloway in my head, but he "swore" it was Aretha Franklin, and since songs can have the same title..  -And, actually, many people covered this song - among them Petula Clark, and The Clash(!) (which is very close in style to the original).

Questions for Ask BK Day:

-Does "Every Little Bit Hurt(s)"?
-Why do "We Gotta Get Out of This Place"?

With all this talk of transfers, do studios ever sell or "provide" original and/or restored prints to those with the funds to buy them - and the equipment to show them?

And with the various enhancements done for DVD releases, does it also mean - hopefully - that an actual "film" enhancement is also done at the same time?  -for showing in an actual movie theatre.

Every little bit sometimes hurts and if it does I hurt every little bit right back.  We gotta get out of here for no reason because here is the best place to be.

No, studios do not sell prints to civilians.  They don't even sell them to participants in the film unless that is in someone's contract.

These days, many restorations are done specifically for DVD transfers, and the film elements remain unrestored.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2004, 10:55:42 AM »

I wouldn't mind more Bollywood.  I've actually seen about six films.

Hurray for Bollywood! So what others have you seen and do you have any recommendations? I am always on the lookout for more...thinking of MONSOON WEDDING which I have heard is good.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2004, 10:55:47 AM »

Of course, given what I feel is a rather bland crop of contestants this year, I keep yearning for Scooter Girl.

BK, my favourite George Sidney film:  SCARAMOUCHE!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up