Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LONG PARAGRAPHS  (Read 50559 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LONG PARAGRAPHS
« on: April 07, 2004, 12:05:12 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've suffered through the long paragraphs, and now all that's left to do is to post and then post some more.  Let's have a glittering array of posts.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 12:02:59 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE LONG PARAGRAPHS
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 01:32:52 AM »

Dear BK: Is the menu set for the reading?  Or are you going to play some of it by ear?

(To everyone else: BK's readings are yummilicious.  You really should go if you're in the area.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 01:38:05 AM »

A second question, BK: last year you had to dash away for another event after your reading at Bookfellows.  As I recall, you were going to a formal dinner but refusing to wear a tuxedo.

So, will you have to dash away again this year, or will you be able to stick around and schmooze with people?  If you can party for a while, I can recommend Jax, just up and across the Boulevard of Brand, right next to the BofA.  Good tipples, good food.  (Or, if you can't stay but some of the others want to schmooze without you, they can head on over.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 01:39:40 AM »

Somewhere in here I've become another of the deus aux deux guys!  If I could get over this danged headcold I'd celebrate.   :-\

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 04:44:35 AM »

Michael - Hope your dad is doing well. Good Canadian vibes heading his way.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 05:16:44 AM »

Good morning, all.  DR Jed, thank you for the link to the WONDERFALLS debacle.  This got me thinking about the series' demise, and a list of questions about the Fox Network's decision to cancel.  Perhaps dear friend BK might have an answer to some of these:

1.  Why would a network even schedule a series if they had no faith in it?
2.  After three episodes, Fox moved it to a different night so even word-of-mouth couldn't keep track of it; is this a definite attempt to lose it?   Moving the show to Thursday, which set it against the final episodes of THE APPRENTICE, seems to me a deliberate attempt to sabotage it.
3.  After the moronic BOSTON PUBLIC (yeah, my high school prom could afford Whitney Huston, too) got two more years than it deserved, why was Fox being so charitable to this and so uncivil to WONDERFALLS?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 05:35:41 AM »

This post has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than I find it an interesting piece of trivia.

I just burned a CD copy of Goodtime Charley, the Larry Grossman, Hal Hackady musical about Charles VI and Joan of Arc (I took it out of the library). As I was making the label, taking information from the disk, I merrily typed away the title which is listed on the label as Goodtime Charlie. I then began transcribing the back and the spine information for the CD case and noticed that the label was misspelled. The title of the show is Goodtime Charley but the label spells it as Charlie. I don't know if the CD is out of print (I had trouble finding a copy outside of the NY Public Library) but all these years go by and the CD label is misspelled. I wonder how many people notice these things. Obviously in 1975 the proofreader for RCA Victor didn't notice it. Oh, well. Just a random thought to fill out my morning.

P.S. Another piece of trivia from the show. Patrick Swayze from Dirty Dancing and Ghost and other movies began his career as a dancer and he was in Goodtime Charley listed as Pat Swayze
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 05:42:29 AM by Ben »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 05:50:24 AM »

I just burned a CD copy of Goodtime Charley, the Larry Grossman, Hal Hackady musical about Charles VI and Joan of Arc (I took it out of the library). As I was making the label, taking information from the disk, I merrily typed away the title which is listed on the label as Goodtime Charlie. I then began transcribing the back and the spine information for the CD case and noticed that the label was misspelled. The title of the show is Goodtime Charley but the label spells it as Charlie. I don't know if the CD is out of print (I had trouble finding a copy outside of the NY Public Library) but all these years go by and the CD label is misspelled. I wonder how many people notice these things. Obviously in 1975 the proofreader for RCA Victor didn't notice it. Oh, well. Just a random thought to fill out my morning.

I think there was also a misprint on one of the releases of Sondheim's Saturday Night on which his named is misspelled as "Steven" on the spine.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 05:53:51 AM »

Somewhere in here I've become another of the deus aux deux guys!

You're into square dancing, too?  Cool!   ;)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 05:57:43 AM »

::Scratches head::

Why are you all awake?

I know why I'm awake, but why are you awake?

Go back to bed!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 05:59:17 AM »

I think there was also a misprint on one of the releases of Sondheim's Saturday Night on which his named is misspelled as "Steven" on the spine.
Yes, and it's the Nonesuch recording!  It's correctly spelled everywhere, from the cardboard outer liner to the booklet to the back of the jewelbox, but on the spines of the jewelbox they've spelled it with the "v".  First release, I believe; I don't know if it was continued on further releases.

A surprise, considering how Nonesuch has always been such a class act.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 06:03:36 AM »

Jenny, I would love to go back to bed but I'm at work right now so the chance that I would be able to go back to bed is slim to none  ;)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 06:07:02 AM »

DR Ben,

And on the CD of Li'l Abner (Musical Numbers), guess who sings the song called "Jubilation"?  

"T. Cornpone, Stubby Kaye, Ensemble."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 06:07:07 AM »

::Scratches head::

Why are you all awake?

I know why I'm awake, but why are you awake?

Go back to bed!

Oh, would that I could, miss!  I am at work and I'm zombie-ing about.  I am filling up on high-octane coffee 'cause I have a big presentation this morning for one of our applications.  What I need is a couple of spoonfuls of Vitameatavegimin!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 06:07:34 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 06:13:35 AM »

And how about this misplaced modifier on the Seesaw LP album:

"Fifteen years ago, playwright William Gibson first introduced us to a slightly square, not-quite-single lawyer from the Midwest who came to Manhattan and proceeded to meet and fall in love with a kooky would-be dancer with an ulcer from the Bronx."

td

• td
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004, 06:18:21 AM »

Just piping in about HALF A SIXPENCE, which I watched in its entirety on Monday night - - - I'm curious as to WHICH version was filmed, the London or the Broadway, which are radically different.
It's disconcerting to hear the cut song, "Long Ago" being played thematically throughout the film, but without the payoff of its being sung.
I'm not the one that BK mentions in his notes, but, I will readily admit to having seen HALF A SIXPENCE in 1967's initial run, several times, when I was a mere lad of ELEVEN!  (I'll also support THE LITTLE PRINCE - but only with a "What went wrong?" attitude).
Maybe an eleven-year-old doesn't know any better, but, this time around, I found the film to be as charming as the first time I saw it, but, asked myself, "How far can "charm" take a film?" And the answer is, unfortunately not as far as it should.
The other question which popped into my mind during a big production number ("Flash, Bang, Wallop") was where did the Sherman Brothers find the music for CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG'S "Me Old Bamboo?"  These two song are as near to each other as the Engs and Daisy & Violet Hilton!
I think that George Sidney concetrated on getting a real performance from Tommy Steele, who is not nearly as nerve-wracking here as he is in his other American movies.
On the Tommy Steele front - - did you know that the fine British film EXPRESSO BONGO was more than loosely based on Steele's rise to fame?

I'm pleased enough with HALF A SIXPENCE, though at times, the sound is far from pleasing - - and with that new receiver I bought last week - - each and every one of the soundtrack's flaws is all the more noticeable.

So, my questions for ASK BK DAY sould be:
Why isn't the musical HALF A SIXPENCE revived?
What are the major differences between the London and the Broadway versions?
If it were to be revived today, is there a more than triple-threat performer who could play the part of Kipps?
What George Sidney films do you like most?
What George Sidney films do you like least?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2004, 06:21:04 AM »

Ah, the English language. How did that ulcer get up to the Bronx, I'd like to know?

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2004, 06:54:36 AM »

Good vibes to MS's father, to DR Jane's doggie, and to DR Danise.  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 07:03:55 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2004, 06:57:02 AM »

Re: Wonderfalls and FOX's decision to dump it.

I agree with what was said above.  This series got critical acclaim, and they left it on for how long? Three or four weeks?

That's ridiculous.  Like Fox has so much other wonderful programming?  It makes no sense to me why they wouldn't at least play out all 13 episodes.  It's unfair to viewers.  But more than that, if they didn't have faith in the show, then why did they bother to show it in the first place.

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2004, 07:00:34 AM »

Re: last night's American Idol.

I also thought Fantasia was screaming.  Did you notice Simon hated everyone except George and Jennifer?  There was only one performance that I loved, Jennifer Hudson.  I was so happy for her (and especially happy that Elton John said she was his favorite).

Didn't like Camile.  I hope she goes.

Jon Peter moves so strangely.

I still like John S.  But he was just okay.

It is hard to predict who will be in the bottom 3.  I think Camile and John S. But who knows what American will do.

Is the show on from 8-9pm tonight?

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2004, 07:05:52 AM »

And re: Charles Pogue's comments about George being the next American Idol

I don't see it.  I agree that he will probably be one of the final four.  But I see someone like Fantasia, or LaToya as the American Idol.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 07:13:32 AM by Jennifer »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2004, 07:08:40 AM »

The SATURDAY NIGHT CD with the misspelled name was pulled immediately and the release was delayed.  I don't know how many (if any) copies of the one with the problem made it into circulation.

I never bothered with the film of HALF A SIXPENCE because I hated the play so much.  Perhaps if I saw it with Tommy Steele I might hve enjoyed it, but I saw the touring company with the untalented Dick Kallman in the lead (he also ruined the touring company of HOW TO SUCCEED a couple of years earlier; his Rosemary was Dyan Cannon pre-Hollywood).

For ask BK Day - When is the Broadway World interview running so we can finally get the answers to last week's Ask BK questions?  Should we re-ask them today?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2004, 07:09:06 AM »

Godd morning. It's 7 AM here and I've been up for three hours already. Took DD (Dear Daughter) to the airport, started cleaning up the house, about to take wonderdog, then self for walks. Have to get corporate tax stuff ready today; have to do lots of writing - and at some point will collapse.

*****Good vibes to all who need them.*******

Panni

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2004, 07:10:50 AM »

*****I would like GOOD NEWS today.******

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2004, 07:20:18 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%];D  ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D  GOOD NEWS VIBES TO PANNI   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D  [/move]

JRand53 Wrote:
>>I am watching still yet another guilty pleasure...ROME ADVENTURE.  Lovely photography on location and was there ever a more beautiful 1960's pairing than Troy Donahue and Suzanne Pleshette - actually falling in love on location....  And the music....Al Di La!  I remember seeing this at the drive-in and loving it. <<

A guilty pleasure the JRand53 introduced to me! And I love the Al di La song! Was so happy when I finally found a CD that had the movie version of the song!!!

And TomovOz, thank you for introducing me to the Eurovision music. I just love my Icelandic compilation that you sent me. I have bookmarked some Eurovision CDs that I am going to buy...they are on Ebay a lot too!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2004, 07:34:55 AM »

I just burned a CD copy of Goodtime Charley, the Larry Grossman, Hal Hackady musical about Charles VI and Joan of Arc

I love this score.....

Ben

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2004, 07:49:32 AM »

I like it also. Not having seen the show I don't know what the problems were, although some said that since it's Joan of Arc's story, telling it from the point of view of King Charles made it a bit fuzzy and strange. Joan's story became Charley's story. Did anyone see this production? It only ran for a few months at the Palace according to Bway history.

Panni

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2004, 08:07:30 AM »

I remember ROME ADVENTURE. Used to love those romantic movies in which gorgeous people fell in love in gorgeous places with gorgeous complications leading to a gorgeous denouement. (All to gorgeous music.)
It's interesting how leading men have changed. The bland Troy Donahue kind of beauty seems no longer to be in fashion. I was at a meeting at Showtime yesterday. They have large monitors in the waiting area, playing (sans sound) whatever is on the various Showtime stations. One of the screens was featuring some old movie with Troy Donahue. Looking at him with no sound to interfere with the picture, the perfection of his beauty is quite startling.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2004, 08:12:39 AM »

Yes, AMERICAN IDOL comes on at 8. It's an hour tonight, and Tamyra Gray is singing as a guest star. To drag the show out to an hour, they'll have to do a couple of production numbers, too.

It would not surprise me to see it come down to LaToya and George for the winner. We'll see. It's one of the things that keeps me coming back to the show, especially since two much more talented singers (Matt Rogers and Amy Adams) were let go before lesser talents were dispensed with. Ah, well.

I have to say I've never seen the film of HALF A SIXPENSE. I'm not sure it ever played in this area at a theater, and I've somehow managed to miss it all these years on TV. Since the DVD is so inexpensive, I don't mind making a blind purchase. Kurt Ganzl's book makes a good summary of the differences between the London and Broadway versions of the show, but that book is upstairs. I'll read his descriptions and post a summary of them later today.

Favorite George Sidney films: THE HARVEY GIRLS, SHOW BOAT, KISS ME KATE (which I think is his best).

guilty pleasure Sidney picture - VIVA LAS VEGAS.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2004, 08:15:27 AM »

I agree and disagree with you, bk, about the previous two Ultra-Resolution releases. I also think THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD isn't sharp enough. The color is gorgeous but the focus seems just a tad off.

But I think SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is simply astonishing looking. Sharp as a tack, and I don't see any of the sepia/Eastman tint on my monitor that you described.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up