Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LONG PARAGRAPHS  (Read 51721 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:THE LONG PARAGRAPHS
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2004, 10:56:12 AM »

If I was producing his album...it would be full of show tunes.

DR Pogue, isn't this redundant?  Wouldn't EVERY album be full of show tunes if we were producing them?

And now, ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce.....

The Third Page Dances!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Mambo[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Rhumba[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Foxtrot[/glow][/move]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 11:04:01 AM by Stuart »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2004, 11:04:10 AM »

Is LaToya Jackson on "American Idol"?  I thought it was strictly for amateurs.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Paulie

• Who is this sexy guy?
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2004, 11:05:03 AM »

Hi there!

This is my first post... since... well, a long time ago. And even then, I didn't really post a whole lot. But I'm still a "lurker" and I enjoy reading all about you people! I guess that makes me a "stalker," too. But hey, I have a good time.

There seem to be many-a musical theatre aficionado present here.... my question is: does anyone know anything about Catholic University's and Point Park University's musical theatre programs? I've been accepted to both schools for Fall 2004-- I know if I don't like either, I hope to transfer to somewhere bigger like Carnegie Mellon or U. of Mich. But it's between CUA and PPU for now, and I just don't know enough about either school to make a decision. Other people's input is going to be a huge factor in my decision, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
[glow=green,glow width, #characters wide]P A U L  C H A M B E R L A I N [/glow]

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2004, 11:05:18 AM »

I can never remember the titles of Bollywood films.  I saw a fifties one about a taxi driver - not too good.  Can't remember the others.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2004, 11:16:10 AM »

Paul, back when I were a wee twig of thing in my twenties (30 years ago) I know that Catholic U.  used to have a good drama department.  I have no idea re: musical theatre.

I was once offered a chance to become a part of U of Michigan's resident  acting company while earning a masters and teaching undergrads.  As I was already working in professional theatre, I turned this opportunity down, but one often wonders about the path not taken.  Would it have led to better career choices?  Or merely different ones? Broadway?  Or merely heartbreak and misery?  Or just being venerable don pontificating in some university somewhere?  No might have beens.  No regrets.  As the late great John Barrymore once said:  "A man isn't old until regrets take the place of dreams."

Charles Pogue

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2004, 11:17:33 AM »

Stuart, no, many of my albums would just have standards (of course, many standards were first show tunes)..and then, of course, there are my cowboy albums.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2004, 11:22:46 AM »

On the Tommy Steele front - - did you know that the fine British film EXPRESSO BONGO was more than loosely based on Steele's rise to fame?

Here's a quick question:  I have the album to a musical called Expresso Bongo with Paul Scofield, Elizabeth Ashley and Millicent Martin.  Is the movie based on the stage musical (or vice versa...or verse vica?)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2004, 11:26:51 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-Once again...

DR Paulie - I know about CUA's Musical Theatre Program... I used to be on staff more or less there.  So...  I'll have details for you later...  Sorry, kind of in a rush now...

As for Point Park.. They graduate some good students...

But before I go... Do you know any of the faculty at either school?  And do you know that CUA's program is part of the Music department and not the theatre?  That arrangement has it's good and bad points... I'll explain more later.  However, it is a good program, and Maureen Codelka is a wonderful teacher as well as a wonderful person.

Now I'm off to the gym!  -Although, since it's sooo nice here today, I think I'm going to go for a run on the Mall.  :-)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2004, 11:28:45 AM »

I can never remember the titles of Bollywood films.  I saw a fifties one about a taxi driver - not too good.  Can't remember the others.

I think that one is called TAXI DRIVER. I have it, but haven't watched it. Don't even know why I bought it. LOL! It didn't seem to exciting to me either.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2004, 11:31:05 AM »

Welcome, Paulie, or should I say welcome back!   For all of the newcomers, and for those old-timers with short memories, like me, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 11:31:30 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2004, 11:35:56 AM »

I think there was also a misprint on one of the releases of Sondheim's Saturday Night on which his named is misspelled as "Steven" on the spine.

Yes, and it's the Nonesuch recording!  It's correctly spelled everywhere, from the cardboard outer liner to the booklet to the back of the jewelbox, but on the spines of the jewelbox they've spelled it with the "v".  First release, I believe; I don't know if it was continued on further releases.

A surprise, considering how Nonesuch has always been such a class act.

The SATURDAY NIGHT CD with the misspelled name was pulled immediately and the release was delayed.  I don't know how many (if any) copies of the one with the problem made it into circulation.

It was recalled, but from what I remember, it was a voluntary recall.  The stores could send them back if they wanted.  The spelling on the spine was subsequently corrected.  I've seen both the incorrect and the corrected CDs in stores, but I have one of the original "Steven" CDs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 11:37:12 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2004, 11:40:15 AM »

Jennifer, regards the article about people having too much power in AI, I thought it interesting last night when Elton John said he had been shocked when LaToya had been in the bottom three last week and said something like, "Just goes to show you how many idiots there are out there."

I loved Elton John last night.  I love that he spoke his mind re: LaToya.  But I also thought he gave such classy comments.  He even found something nice to say about Camile, who burst into tears because he was her idol.

For that reason I thought what Simon said to Camile was very cruel.  He basically told her that there would be a tv flying out a window in Vegas after her performance (and it would be Elton John's reaction to her performance).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2004, 11:44:05 AM »

Quote from: td link=board=4;threadid=233;start=msg36783#msg36783 date=1081343901

What are the major differences between the London and the Broadway versions?

[quote

DR TD, the original British cast album has a song "The Oak and the As" for Helen and the Chorus in Act One as well as different orchestrations that never got into the Broadway production, for which I believe Jim Tyler did the orchestration.  According to Kurt Ganzl's  British musical theatre history, another song "The One That's Run Away" was also dropped, and "The Party's On the House" written for Broadway.
The London cast recording also has a song for Ann, Kipps and Chitterlow, "I'm not Talking to You," which is not in the published score, so it looks like the vocal score published in England is based on the Broadway production!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura II

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2004, 11:45:01 AM »

Paulie! Hi!

Well, I know we've talked about this before, but my boss recommends Catholic U. Of course, he's much more familiar with the drama program as opposed to the musical theatre program, as far as I know. Point Park is great for dancers, but I'm sure they have a very good program overall. I was actually flipping through this book of performing arts colleges a few days ago, and I thought of you. The book was printed in 1998 (3rd or 4th edition, I think), so it's dated, but it can give one some insight. When I reached the Point Park info, it didn't list the musical theatre program at all and said that the school is recommended for dance. Perhaps musical theatre is new to the school--I have no idea. I just thought it was interesting. Catholic's program is probably more established, but again, that's not from firsthand knowledge, more of an opinion I've formed because of things I've read and heard.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2004, 12:09:45 PM »

DR Paulie, welcome to HHW.  I'll throw in my opinion of schools as well here.  I'm partial to the Cincinnati College Conservatory program for three reasons:
1.  I'm a local boy who went to Miami University, but I saw lots of productions.
2.  A lot of my friends and friends of my dear friend BK are from UC:  Jason Graae, Vicki Lewis, Lynnette Perry, Faith Prince, Kim Criswell, and their alumni seem to be regularly employed.
3.  Roger Grotsky, the MD for CCM, is a good friend and a wonderful musician.

BK, I saw Lynnette last week for the first time in over a year and she looked fantastic.  Tell me what Tammy Minoff is doing these days.  Thanks!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2004, 12:26:18 PM »

DR TD, the original British cast album has a song "The Oak and the As" for Helen and the Chorus in Act One as well as different orchestrations that never got into the Broadway production, for which I believe Jim Tyler did the orchestration.  According to Kurt Ganzl's  British musical theatre history, another song "The One That's Run Away" was also dropped, and "The Party's On the House" written for Broadway.
The London cast recording also has a song for Ann, Kipps and Chitterlow, "I'm not Talking to You," which is not in the published score, so it looks like the vocal score published in England is based on the Broadway production!

Why, thank you, elmore!
The last song you mention appears in the film, so, it would seem that the film boasts elements of both the London and the Broadway versions. . . .
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, Helen has no songs in the film, right?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2004, 12:28:05 PM »

I saw part of American Idol last night, for the very first time, so it is probably unfair to pass judgment, based on a one-time only viewing.  However, when has that ever stopped me from expressing my opinion?  Over all, I was surprised by the relatively low level of talent displayed last night.  Granted, Elton John songs are not necessarily the best way to show of your singing talent.  From something Paula Abdul said, I gather that each singer is responsible for choosing their own song – not a good idea.  I thought “Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road” was really bad (was that Camille?); that is, until I heard “Crocodile Rock” sung by that Strawberry Shortcake kid.

I can understand how people can get addicted to the show, what with all the fan groups cheering on their favorites from the audience, but I think I’ll stick to watching the Seattle Mariners tonight instead.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2004, 12:31:56 PM »

A couple of interesting DVD releases for June...HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL (Mamie, Russ, Jan, and John Drew Barrymore) and LOVE HAPPY.

Emily

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2004, 12:39:11 PM »

Quick post, quick post , quick post (oh... who am I fooling?  my posts always take longer than I intend them to!)

First off: Welcome Back Paulie!  I know nothing about musical theatre schools so I won't answer your question... but I will demand to know where my certain JRB-related tape is (remember I want my name mentioned in your bio... jk :) )

Second off: I have my final (yippee) in my Death and Dying religious studies class in 45 mins on death practices in major Eastern religions.  Vibes please (preferably living ones!)

Finally: The Habs start their playoff run tonight!  Vibes to them to beat the dastardly Boston Bruins.

Toodles for now! :)

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Charles Pogue

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2004, 12:54:39 PM »

elmore, I didn't know all those folks came out of Cincy Conservatory.  By the by, did I tell you how much I enjoyed your unseemly interview?  If not, I'm telling you now.

Jennifer, I don't think anybody can be cruel enough to Camille.  How does she keep getting votes?

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2004, 12:57:51 PM »

Jennifer, I don't think anybody can be cruel enough to Camille.  How does she keep getting votes?

She lives in Hawaii, where the radio stations have been begging their listeners to vote for Jasmine and Camile.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2004, 01:06:13 PM »

I got all my Garland films today except ST. LOUIS (which I ordered from another source). I put in IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME which has always looked warm and lovely on laserdisc. The DVD looked just wonderful - only a couple of tiny blemishes on the print used for the transfer and quite sharp overall. I had never noticed before that the strings of the harp that Garland plays in "Meet Me Tonight in Dreamland" are multi-colored.

John Fricke has a good-natured introduction to the film, and there are a couple of those Fitzpatrick Traveltalk short subjects as extras. But how disappointed I was to find that Warners didn't include the outtake "Last Night When We Were Young," and I can't for a moment understand why. I will have to write to find out. It's included on the laserdisc for SUMMERTIME and also on the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT III laserdisc supplement disc of outtakes. It's one of her greatest performances and deserves to be seen by many more of the public. Warners has been good about including outtakes on some of their other films: GOOD NEWS, TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME, THE HARVEY GIRLS, so why they didn't for this movie is a mystery.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2004, 01:14:40 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, Helen has no songs in the film, right?

DR TD, I've never seen the film, only clips which terrified me.  I was never a big Tommy Steele fan, terrified of him ever since that Disney millionaire film with him and Fred McMurray (?).  I do like him more in the film of FINIAN'S RAINBOW than in anything else.  I do like the HALF A SIXPENCE score, especially "Long Ago," and once I knew it was out of the film, I didn't give a damn.  I think Helen's song was cut because Carrie Nye did the role on Broadway and most likely sang bass.  Another reason may have been a decision to keep the patrician Helen out of the singing roles.

DR Pogue, I should have thanked you when you mentioned it before, and I rudely did nothing.  Please pardon me.  I'd love to redo the interview and maybe someday if Dear Friend BK puts together a HHW anthology, I might get a chance.  I'm still trying to recall madcap adventures, but I think you know that any time with BK counts as such.  I just got the earlier DVD release of DRAGONHEART and your novelization, which I want to read before watching the film, but I'm committed to the Kritzer saga for the nonce.  When the film came out, I took my goddaughter, who was around 5 at the time, since she appeared delighted with dragons and dinosaurs, but the film so terrified her we left within the first 30 minutes.  So I've been following your saga with interest.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2004, 01:18:02 PM »

I had never noticed before that the strings of the harp that Garland plays in "Meet Me

DR MattH, an orchestration lesson:  the harp strings are different colors so the harpist can tell what the pitches are; the C strings are red, F strings blue.

td

• td
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2004, 01:31:02 PM »

DR elomore - I can't stand Steele in either FINIAN'S RAINBOW or HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE!  I think that working with novice director Francis Ford Coppola, Steele went way, way, way over the top in the former!   In the latter, I'm just not fond of the character, or what Steele brings to the role.
Odd, isn't it, that the one film role I can stand him in is SIXPENCE?  I will credit George Sidney with that on the grounds of VIVA LAS VEGAS, which is the only film I can watch The Pelvis twist in.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2004, 01:42:15 PM »

I want page four!

Michael

« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2004, 01:42:20 PM »

I think there was also a misprint on one of the releases of Sondheim's Saturday Night on which his named is misspelled as "Steven" on the spine.

They were recalled and reprinted. But those that have still sealed they are worth $$$$$
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2004, 01:56:12 PM »

I know got around to seeing Half a Sixpence. The first movie to play the late Seville Theater in Montreal after the extended run of The Sound of Music. Like TSOM Half a Sixpence was also a Roadshow Engagement. One night the soda machine shorted out and caught fire. The theater was close for several months and the film did not play elsewhere.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2004, 01:58:07 PM »

What is your favorite roadshow engagement?

The only ones I saw were The Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, Man of La Mancha. The majority of the other films were post roadshow. I never saw a Cinerama movie either.
Never stop dreaming.

Jed

« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2004, 02:00:50 PM »

I can understand how people can get addicted to the show, what with all the fan groups cheering on their favorites from the audience, but I think I’ll stick to watching the Seattle Mariners tonight instead.

Ahh, how I miss cable.  I have to make do with radio for the FSN broadcasts.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up