Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GIVING THANKS  (Read 14506 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: GIVING THANKS
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 07:03:08 AM »

Jane Krakowski just went by on a float looking extremely lovely and singing a so-so song ( though she sang it very nicely.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 07:04:52 AM »

What song did they sing from BIRDIE?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2009, 07:06:14 AM »

John Stamos did "Put On A Happy Face" with seven girls and lousy choreography.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 07:07:03 AM »

Yay!  Here's the Kermit balloon!
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 07:08:03 AM »

TOD - last year was pretty special as Thanksgiving Day was also my mother's 90th birthday.  And 29 years ago, Richard and I were at my parents' in Michigan for the holiday and a whirlwind of pre-nuptial parties before our January, 1981, wedding.  Of course, 1977 was something, too, when my friend Becky and I (both still single) spend the weekend in New York City.  We went to the parade and saw 5 Broadway shows in 4 days.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 07:12:12 AM »

Now some kid from Hannah Montanna just sang. He was wearing wool gloves that had no fingers.  I never understood the purpose of such gloves--who needs to just keep their palms warm?
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 07:20:51 AM »

And now we have a guy who can sing in an auto-tuned voice on the appropriately named Hamburger Helper float.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 07:29:24 AM »

And now we have a guy who can sing in an auto-tuned voice on the appropriately named Hamburger Helper float.

LOL!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 07:38:26 AM »

I think I will wander over to Cafe 82 and have a bit of breakfast.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 07:43:29 AM »

John Stamos did "Put On A Happy Face" with seven girls and lousy choreography.

Oh....I've seen some of that myself.....it's French dancing.....Le choreographie louse'

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2009, 07:44:04 AM »

Hamburger Helper float?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2009, 07:45:25 AM »

Now some kid from Hannah Montanna just sang. He was wearing wool gloves that had no fingers.  I never understood the purpose of such gloves--who needs to just keep their palms warm?

If you'd ever played in a marching band with an instrument like a clarinet in freezing weather, you'd understand the need to keep your hands as warm as possible but leave the fingers free to manipulate the keys.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2009, 07:52:38 AM »

No, I'm not havng breakfast at Cate 82 or the Luncheonette: too many familes, too many noisy children, and too packed. Sometimes I hate holidays.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2009, 07:56:24 AM »

The horrible news is on the front page of The Oregonian and is leading all the newscasts.  This is so totally surreal for this little neighborhood.

Cilla, they had an inkling pretty early on, because our first clue was the *other* FPD's wife going down there to see what was going on right after the first police arrived (two days ago), and an officer said "We're investigating a homicide--er, I mean a death."  Joanna came right back here and told me and we wondered whether it was a slip of the tongue or a quick cover up.  The bottom line is the police have not been forthcoming at all.  Betsy talked to an officer yesterday who just flat out lied to her.  It's very distressing.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2009, 07:59:25 AM »

Still an hour before I can start carving the turkey, but boy does the house smell good! Can't wait!

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2009, 08:00:36 AM »

I guess I'll play some computer games and then head downstairs to start on the side dishes for the feast. I guess I need to think about putting up the Christmas tree either today or tomorrow.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2009, 08:04:03 AM »

Good Morning!

Greetings from Richmond!

Oh...

And...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2009, 08:04:49 AM »

And now I need to catch up on all sort of things for a bit - on and off the internet....

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2009, 08:14:47 AM »

Maybe you just came up with a great new name for Auto Tune-- Hamburger Helper!  LOL
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2009, 08:15:11 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving to all and one and one and all!
I like boat races.

td

• td
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2009, 08:15:19 AM »

Well, my most memorable Thanksgiving(s) revolve around Myrtle Beach, SC.
My pal Roseanna Irwin and I used our time off from Carnegie Mellon to drive to Myrtle Beach and spend the holiday weekend walking the beach, eating out and shopping.
The first trip we made, we broke down in my Cavalier just outside of Summerville, West Virginia and had to spend the first night in a hotel. But, AAA was very nice and took care to get us the hotel room and arranged for a service station to have the car repaired (it was an alternator) early in the morning.
We'd eat Thanksgiving dinner at a moderately priced seafood buffet in Murrell's Inlet called SEAFARE.

WARNING SADNESS AHEAD

The following year when we were about to go to Seafare for our dinner, my cousin, in Pennsylvania phoned me to say that her brother had a heart attack and died at his home during their Thanksgiving dinner!  He was only in his early 40s.  His sister called me to go over to their parents house, three doors down, to sit with my aunt and uncle while they were notified of the death. . .
After the family got a late-night flight booked for my uncle and aunt, Roseanna and I were able to go to dinner.
Later that night, I drove my relatives to the airport.

SADNESS ENDED
There was no need to cut our vacation short, so on Sunday morning, we left Myrtle Beach bright and early and with no road problems, reached home by 7pm, which gave me just enough time to quickly change my clothes and drive to the funeral home for viewing.
I went into Jarvies' Funeral Home, but, could not find my cousin's viewing. . .people kept coming up to me and thanking me for coming. . .but, I quickly realized that I was in the WRONG Jarvies' Funeral Home . . .my cousin was laid out in the one in the next little town. . .five minutes up the road. . .

Those Myrtle Beach Thanksgivings are still talked about each year, and Roseanna was out here for a belated birthday dinner last night and again we reminisced about the times we had!

Today, it was supposed to be just Mum and I, but, somehow or other, six other people have semi-invited themselves. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2009, 08:21:08 AM »

Today, it was supposed to be just Mum and I, but, somehow or other, six other people have semi-invited themselves. . . .

That should take care of the left-overs :)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2009, 08:25:36 AM »

Great, an aggressive defense attorney is killed and the police immediately mess up the crime scene by not doing anything to preserve it. 

The snafu will, however, make the aggressive defense attorney for the culprit, should he/she be apprehended, very happy.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2009, 08:28:16 AM »

The horrible news is on the front page of The Oregonian and is leading all the newscasts.  This is so totally surreal for this little neighborhood.

But should you hold a seller's open house, directions will be easy - "We're just two doors down from the yellow crime-scene tape."

der Brucer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2009, 08:34:31 AM »

But should you hold a seller's open house, directions will be easy - "We're just two doors down from the yellow crime-scene tape."

der Brucer

Betsy beat you to that punchline yesterday.   :P
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2009, 08:37:15 AM »

Now that I've cooked sme eggs and had an English muffin I'm much happier. I'm very selfish about my personal time and resent anything preventing me from what I want to do when I want to do it. The fates were very smart in not making me a family man; I would have sold my family down the river at the first glimpse of Hamburger Heaven.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 08:54:52 AM by elmore3003 »

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2009, 08:52:46 AM »

Good morning to one and all. A day of grace and gratitude, contentment, sweet memories... and PIE.
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2009, 08:55:46 AM »

Good morning to one and all. A day of grace and gratitude, contentment, sweet memories... and PIE.

Hello, dearest darlingest PennyO! Any word on Nursie this morning?

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2009, 09:01:33 AM »

DR DRUXY - that story reminds me of the only funny moment in a Sally Field movie called - I think - PUNCHLINE.

When the two priests were visiting---Jimmy Brogan was one of them.

I like that movie a lot, but never felt like it was supposed to be a comedy. But the bit where Taylor Negron impersonates a rug dealer: "You don't need a carpet...what you need is an area rug", and he pronounces the last two words as though he were a baby bird waiting to be fed always makes me laugh.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2009, 09:03:06 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving, HHW!

This is the first year I'm not cooking the turkey in champagne, so it might be memorable for that. Too much editing to be done!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up