Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEEKEND IS HERE  (Read 16535 times)

Laura

Re: THE WEEKEND IS HERE
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009, 07:56:42 AM »

Congratulations on your graduation, Rob!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 08:04:36 AM »

DR Ginny, I never thought he'd graduate but stay a student for a very long time. Is that a sigh of relief I hear? :)

Tell Rob congratulations!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 08:39:54 AM »

Congrats to DS Rob!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2009, 08:43:03 AM »

I am patiently waiting for PA's Department of Transportation to arrive.  There is a huge ice flow directly in front of our house which is making driving quite risky.  It is the fault of the neighbors on the hill who refurbished their driveway but did not put a lip at the bottom for the water flow.  Now the water run-off merely runs and runs across the road and when temperatures drop, ice happens.  Lots of ice.  One could successfully re-sink The Titanic here.  (Hyperbole can be fun).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DAW

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 08:45:30 AM »

DAW

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2009, 08:45:52 AM »

Pastors prepare for Stewardship Sunday:  The Sermon on the a-Mount

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2009, 08:51:18 AM »

Dear George, nice camera.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2009, 08:52:13 AM »

Saturday and it is a work day.  Thanks to all of the vibes from friends here at HHW - I am feeling a bit better, so I will be working today.  Oh well.

Continued recovery vibes to DR Jrand.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 08:55:50 AM »

Congrats to Rob on his Graduation Day!!!

Indeed, ditto!!!!       :D

Tritto!!!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Julie

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2009, 08:56:45 AM »

Good morning!

Julie

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2009, 08:57:29 AM »

Congrats to Ginny and DS Rob!

Sam

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2009, 09:05:05 AM »

Happy Saturday morning.

Listening to the Beach Boys sing holiday songs.  I can't remember If I ever liked the Beach Boys, the answer must be no, since I can't remember.   I think I also place surfers in the same category as skate boarders.  Just annoying to be around.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2009, 09:08:23 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And... That's a good thing.  Well, at least something.  (Ah, almost a Company reference!)
Make Your Own Luck.

Sam

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2009, 09:08:34 AM »

Must get organized for my plethora of errands out and about in the rain today.

Warm and cozy vibes for the day.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »

And for my fellow East Coasters...

Good Afternoon!
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 09:10:35 AM »

TOD:

Fried Chicken (my mom must have had the same recipe as DR MattH's mom! LOL!)

Chicken Saag (which I hope to have today when my buddies Ron and Pat take me to Star of India for my birthday lunch!)

Sam

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2009, 09:11:43 AM »

Did I miss something on what happened to monkey ?

Sam

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2009, 09:14:15 AM »

I really like Dean Martin. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2009, 09:18:50 AM »

So...

Around 7:10 last night, I remembered that I was supposed to be seeing Handel's "Messiah" last night at Carnegie Hall performed by Les Violons du Roy and La Chapelle de Québec, so...

Thankfully, the trains were running on time, and I made it down there with 10 minutes to spare.  I met up with my friend, Bradley.  He was tuning the organ and harpsichord for the group, and they gave him a set of comps, so...

We actually only ended up staying for the first half.  -Which was basically the original plan anyway.  He checked in with them at intermission to see if the instruments needed a touch-up tuning, but everything was OK, so...

But it was a good concert - at least the Christmas portion.  One of the soloist was countertenor, David Daniels, and it was nice to hear him again.

*Needless to say, that was not his costume for last night's presentation. ::)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:24:25 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2009, 09:19:21 AM »

Did I miss something on what happened to monkey ?

I dunno? Did something happen to Monkey?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2009, 09:21:37 AM »

After the (first half of the) concert, Bradley and I met up with another friend, Jeff, and we headed on over to Casellula for a late dinner.  And some wine.  And some port. 7-year and 20-year aged. And some madeira.  Needless to say... Well...

Good Morning!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Julie

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2009, 09:23:57 AM »

Last night I went to the Metropolitan Opera to see the new production of Les Contes d'Hoffmann, one of my very favorite operas.  I enjoyed it very much.  For the most part, I found Bartlett Sher's direction to be engaging and interesting, but Michael Yeargan's set design to be somewhat less successful.  I thought it was fairly inspired for Olympia's act one, and Giulietta's act three, but somewhat puzzling for Antonia's Act 2.  But I must say that I thought musically, Act 2 was just stunningly beautiful.  I was particularly impressed with Kathleen Kim's performance as Olympia.

The House was sold out for last night's performance.  Two things struck me while I was there.  First, the pricing.  The orchestra and parterre are extremely expensive at the Met -- well above most people's price range on any regular basis.  Yet, the Met manages to have a very broad pricing structure.  You can get standing room upstairs for only $15, and seats in the upper boxes for only $20, which is also the price of standing room at the back of the orchestra.  There are many different price ranges between $15 and $300.  People who love opera and want to "be in the room" can be, at a very affordable price.  And the price is the price -- anyone can access those seats at the box office or online on a first come, first served basis.  You don't need to be "in the know" about any special discount codes, papering services, clubs, insider deals, or anything like that.  It made me wonder why Broadway Theaters, many of which are struggling to find audiences for the shows they house, can't adapt to that model more.  There is no reason why 8th row side mezzanine should be priced the same as third row center orchestra.  Maybe if they regularly made tickets available for $20, $30 and $40 in the mezzanine, and similar (albeit higher) pricing scales in the orchestra -- and you didn't need to know the secret password to get in on the deal -- it was simply the regular price of the ticket -- they would have better success selling those seats, and attending the theater could once again become a regular activity for people living in the Greater New York area, like it used to be.

The second thing, was just how thrilling it is to be in that Grand venue, looking down (I had one of the cheap seats) and seeing nearly 60 musicians in that orchestra pit, and about the same number of performers on stage, when the full chorus was present.  120 people!!!  And you can get all of that for as little as $15.  What a deal that is!

Lastly, another thrill for me that James Levine was conducting.  I feel like I've grown up with him.  How many operas I've seen over the years with him at the helm.  Quite a history he has there. 

Julie

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2009, 09:25:10 AM »

I am patiently waiting for PA's Department of Transportation to arrive.  There is a huge ice flow directly in front of our house which is making driving quite risky.  It is the fault of the neighbors on the hill who refurbished their driveway but did not put a lip at the bottom for the water flow.  Now the water run-off merely runs and runs across the road and when temperatures drop, ice happens.  Lots of ice.  One could successfully re-sink The Titanic here.  (Hyperbole can be fun).

Huge ice flow??   :o  :o  :o

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2009, 09:28:58 AM »

DR Julie - Do you know Ives' "Memories"?  Your account of your evening at The Met reminded me of Memory A: Very Pleasant:

We're sitting in the opera house;
 We're waiting for the curtain to arise
 With wonders for our eyes;
 We're feeling pretty gay,
 And well we may,
 "O, Jimmy, look!" I say,
 "The band is tuning up
 And soon will start to play."
 We whistle and we hum,
 Beat time with the drum.

We're sitting in the opera house;
 We're waiting for the curtain to arise
 With wonders for our eyes,
 A feeling of expectancy,
 A certain kind of ecstasy,
 Expectancy and ecstasy... Sh's's's.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2009, 09:31:21 AM »

*And The Met also has a great - and VERY popular day-of discount ticket program: Varis Rush Tickets.  All seats are $20, and sometimes you even end up in the Orchestra sitting next to someone who paid $250+ for their ticket.
Make Your Own Luck.

Julie

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2009, 09:35:17 AM »

That's wonderful Jose!!  I didn't know it before - but it captures the feeling of the moment so perfectly.  I will never stop staring with elation as the chandeliers start to rise towards the ceiling.  It's one of my favorite NY moments.  I'm awed every time. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2009, 09:39:13 AM »

And...

Starting on January 7, Lincoln Center will have their own day-of discount ticket booth set up in their newly refurbished David Rubenstein Atrium.  They will be selling day-of discount tickets for all the Lincoln Center venues:

Alice Tully Hall -
Avery Fisher Hall - Home of the New York Philharmonic
David H. Koch Theater - Home of City Opera and ABT
Jazz at Lincoln Center
Lincoln Center Theater*
The Metropolitan Opera

*I've actually been "communicating" with the Atrium staff via Twitter lately, and when I asked how their own day-of discount ticket program would affect what they send down to TKTS, their latest response was: "We're not sure". It could get interesting.
Make Your Own Luck.

Julie

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »

Jose - about the Varis rush tickets -- do you happen to know if this is only applicable to performances that are not sold out in advance, or if they actually hold back from sale 200 seats to ensure they will have rush tickets for every performance, whether "sold out" or not?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2009, 09:39:52 AM »

That's wonderful Jose!!  I didn't know it before - but it captures the feeling of the moment so perfectly.  I will never stop staring with elation as the chandeliers start to rise towards the ceiling.  It's one of my favorite NY moments.  I'm awed every time. 

DR Julie - Do you have iTunes?
Make Your Own Luck.

Julie

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2009, 09:42:40 AM »

And...

Starting on January 7, Lincoln Center will have their own day-of discount ticket booth set up in their newly refurbished David Rubenstein Atrium.  They will be selling day-of discount tickets for all the Lincoln Center venues:

Alice Tully Hall -
Avery Fisher Hall - Home of the New York Philharmonic
David H. Koch Theater - Home of City Opera and ABT
Jazz at Lincoln Center
Lincoln Center Theater*
The Metropolitan Opera

*I've actually been "communicating" with the Atrium staff via Twitter lately, and when I asked how their own day-of discount ticket program would affect what they send down to TKTS, their latest response was: "We're not sure". It could get interesting.

Yay!! and Wow!!

So the Vivian Beaumont and Mitzi Newhouse are not participating in this - or is that what they meant by "we're not sure"?  I assume the Jazz at Lincoln Center means that Rose Hall and the Allen Room will also be listed.

How fabulous to have another discount ticket booth just for LC events!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up