Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: DREAM NOTES  (Read 36068 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:DREAM NOTES
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2004, 08:39:12 PM »

By fixing the quote I got us back on page 4, so now it's my duty to get us back on page 5.

Michael

« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2004, 08:39:26 PM »

Oh yes I am returning the book because of that information. That and they say thay Robert Urich is still alive and Diagnosis: Murder is still on the air (original episodes that is)
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2004, 08:43:23 PM »

PAGE 5 DANCE!  

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :-* :-* :-* :-*[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D [/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ::) ::) ::) [/move]

Michael

« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2004, 08:43:34 PM »

It got me wondering whatever happened to Liberty Williams? It looks like after 1977 she gave up acting. Archie Hahn is still kicking around
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2004, 08:46:22 PM »

Finished SEND ME NO FLOWERS today, and enjoyed the sharpness of the image and the rich color saturation a lot. And Paul Lynde was as always a scene stealer of the first order.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2004, 08:47:11 PM »

More DR's at the reading - in the group photo, FS Pogue is in the back, wearing sunglasses. In front of him is the lovely wife.

Following the wealth of photographs this morning, i almost didn't recognize him with that much clothing on. . . . ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Robin

« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2004, 08:53:13 PM »

By the way, congrats on the reading...I'm sure it was simply smashing.  Of course, we'll expect a fuller report on the morrow, including a rundown of what was read during the reading.

You know, I really ought get out to LA again sometime.  Seems there's never a dull moment out there.  Besides, I've always wanted to visit Bronson Canyon.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2004, 09:14:22 PM »

Liberty Williams used her real name soon thereafter (Louise Williams) - don't know if she's worked recently.  I see Archie from time to time - nice fellow.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2004, 09:14:37 PM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?

td

• td
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2004, 09:24:35 PM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?

Dyeing Easter eggs?

On an egg hunt?

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2004, 09:43:14 PM »

Great photos of the reading!  I had to look twice to find DR CP - he is blending in with the books in the background.  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2004, 09:57:34 PM »

Welcome nine GUESTS!  Join us.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2004, 10:01:25 PM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.  Roll call.

Nike shorts and One From Column A t-shirt

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2004, 10:06:51 PM »

Dyeing Easter eggs?

On an egg hunt?

The eggs have been dyed (not with henna, though.)  A real babka was tracked down.  There's smoked and fresh kielbasi in the fridge.  And a basket that's overflowing with solid chocolate eggs and marshmellow peeps.  It's Easter Eve at mom's house!  There's nothing to do now but to cuddle up in my old bed and wait for Peter  (Cottontail, that is--get your minds out of the gutter!)

It sounds like the book signing/reading was a great success.   But I'm studying the pic of the signing table and I don't spot any cheese bits.  I see the cake and I see the Diet Coke and I see something that looks like Fiddle-Faddle, but I don't see any cheese bits.  Are there any more pictures in which we might see them?

And getting back to 70 movies, how could I forget:
Magic (w/ Anthony Hopkins and Ann-Margret)
Breaking Away
The Cheap Detective
Murder By Death
California Suite
The Boys from Brazil

And one of my all time favs, The Eyes of Laura Mars.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2004, 10:15:10 PM »

Thanks for the reminder Dan. "Breaking Away" - a favourite in this house.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2004, 10:35:43 PM »

Thanks for the reminder Dan. "Breaking Away" - a favourite in this house.

It was a forgotton favorite of mine until today's topic reminded me of it.  I see that it's available on DVD, but I think I'll check out my home-made copy of it first.  I taped it off of either HBO or Cinemax close to 20 years ago.  Back then, I would usually let the tape record to its full length, so there might be something else 80s-ish and interesting at the end of it.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2004, 10:46:41 PM »

So many good movies in the 70's!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2004, 11:07:44 PM »

So many good movies in the 70's!

I would have to say that the 70s were probably my favorite decade for movies.  Along with being the years when I first started going to see movies on my own (without Mom & Dad) that weren't just kid pictures, they were also the years where so many talents first began to spread their wings, like Nicholson, DeNiro, Pacino, Streep, Spacek, Woody Allen, Scorsese, Spielberg, Paul Mazursky.  And the writing was so much more complex and challenging--not all the movies concluded with nice, neat and tidy happy endings like today.  Would anyone dare to end a romantic comedy today the way Allen did with Manhattan?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 11:09:09 PM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2004, 11:25:26 PM »

And the writing was so much more complex and challenging--not all the movies concluded with nice, neat and tidy happy endings like today.  Would anyone dare to end a romantic comedy today the way Allen did with Manhattan?

There is not much going on today that's "daring." Many of the great movies of the 70's would be rejected at the pitch stage.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2004, 11:35:25 PM »

BK, I am thrilled that the signing was such a success.  Hold one on the east coast one of these days, why dontcha!   ;)

Is anyone particularly fond of Yeston's "Goya"?  I saw it for fairly cheap at a music store today and it looked fairly interesting though, as is often the case with Yeston, the lyrics are awful.  Should I get it anyway?

"Rocky Horror" was truly disappointing.  My sister ended up going after all, and we walked out just after "I Can Make You A Man".  I'm sure that the experience is very fun and exciting in NY, but not here in Cambridge.  We weren't the least bit offended by it (though we did think that the pre-show, which involved crucifying the Easter Bunny and having audience members pole dance on the cross, was in poor taste), we just found the whole experience to be, well, stupid.  There were only about twenty people in the audience, and they were almost entirely high school age "Rocky" virgins who were completely baffled by the whole thing.  The people lip-synching in front of the screen were all hideous, untalented, and incredibly bored looking.  Few clever audience participation lines were yelled, nobody was dressed up, and the whole thing was lifeless and pathetic...like the 89th hour of a "Star Trek" convention when people start to get bored.

I'll try it again in the Village with a group of friends and I'm sure that it will be fun, but this was just an enormous disappointment.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2004, 11:39:15 PM »

I thought I recognized DR Pogue in the back.  DRs Panni and Jay I recognized in an instant.

My problem is that I also recognize the store so well.  This is the first time I've really felt like I've left SoCal behind and have reason to miss it!

I wish we could have been there with you all.  Der Brucer would probably still be there, keeping the conversation going, even at this hour.

*sigh*

I want more details!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2004, 11:42:17 PM »

Crucifying the Easter Bunny is not only crude, it is totally wrong for what Rocky Horror is about.  Those people obviously don't understand the film.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2004, 11:47:28 PM »

The dogs loved their walk.  Der Brucer decided to drive us over to the state park, where they have a very nice "trail" set up.  (I normally wouldn't call a road ten feet wide a "trail," but that's what they call it.)  It ran through the woods for about a mile, and then we got to a bridge section that took us over the marshland and the creek.  Not what I'd call "pretty," but quiet and quite plesant.  

The people we met along the way were also very nice, particularly a family of five (grandparents, mother, and two teenage lasses), whom Buster thought were wonderful.  Bonnie took a little longer to want to meet them, and Mikey was his usual convivial self.  Marty isn't much of a people person, very shy.

Panni

« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2004, 11:49:13 PM »

I wish we could have been there with you all.  

Would've been great!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #144 on: April 10, 2004, 11:57:05 PM »

After we drove the dogs home again, we were on our way to the Purple Parrot for some socialization of our own when a little boy (about six or so) held his hands up, making sure that we didn't run over his dog.  It seems that "Lady" had decided to go wandering, and had no intention of letting the lad catch her, staying just out of his reach and grinning over her fun.  I opened the car door, to help him catch her, when Lady decided that riding would be more fun and jumped into the car with us!

Der Brucer asked the boy where he lived, but he wasn't quite sure.  The streets in our neighborhood curve and wander all over the place, so I can't blame him for his confusion.  Would we like us to drive him home?  The boy hesitated, then agreed.

He and Lady live what would be just a block away from us, but because of how the streets run we had to loop around and back again.  The confusion came because Lady and her lad had cut through some of the neighbor's yards.  Once the boy saw streets that were familiar, we were able to get him back home in no time.  The boy's mother came out, surprised and worried by these strange men in a strange car, but relieved to learn that we'd been trying to help.

As der Brucer commented later, if we'd pulled that "good neighbor" business back in California, we'd have been arrested.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2004, 11:59:54 PM »

Well, the next best thing to actually being there, S. Woody, is to read the fershluganah book already.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up