Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: EASTER PARADE  (Read 45568 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:EASTER PARADE
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2004, 09:16:03 AM »

Don't forget, ALIAS fans, it comes on at 10 p.m. EDT tonight instead of its usual 9 p.m. I know *I'LL* be watching
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2004, 09:18:38 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept very late this morning, for the first time in around a month.  I hope you're all having a happy holiday.  I'm reading the posts and thinking that - as a lapsed WASP - Easter was my least favorite holiday in the calendar, but my mother used to prepare the most wonderful Easter dinner:  ham, scalloped potatoes, several vegetables, deviled eggs (natch!), and my memory on dessert is vague:  I believe she used to bake an Angel Food with some fluffy marshmallowy frosting and grated coconut on top, maybe decorated with jelly beans, but this is all 25 years ago or more now.

DR Jennifer, I thought you'd gone to Boston to see a stage production of ROCKY HORROR!  I think the last time I threw toast at the screen was 1978.  They still do that nonsense?  

NYC bookstores:  I had thought about The Drama Book Shop, which was my home away from home between 1979 and 1996, but my memories are not as kind as I wish they could be.  However, the space on 40th Street, to which I've never been, does offer lots of readings, and the store has stocked an occasional theatre-related novel in the past.  My memory is that the novels were kept in the American Theatre History/Criticism section.  I had thought about Applause as well; I'd been invited to a party for Ted Chapin's book on FOLLIES there.  I could stop in and inquire about a Kritzer Event.

Barnes and Noble offers the Kritzer books on their website, but I don't know if any of the stores in New York stock the novels.  I do know the store across from me on Broadway does not, but I ordered the first two books through them.  So much B&N business seems dictated by publisher reps, and I suspect no one's pushing the Kritzer novels to the B&N buyers for stocking (now if BK won a Pulitzer, they would be stocked!).

My reasons for suggesting Footlights were based on Dear Friend BK's recording credits, my affection for the store, and my belief that most of the people who might attend a reading would be show music collectors.  Selfishly speaking, since I'm out of town most of June and July, May seems too early to prepare the event, but early September might be just right (said the Baby Bear).

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2004, 09:18:59 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!!!!!!

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o[/move]

HEY WHERE DID YOU GUYS COME FROM?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 09:26:49 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2004, 09:30:12 AM »

Don't forget, ALIAS fans, it comes on at 10 p.m. EDT tonight instead of its usual 9 p.m. I know *I'LL* be watching

Yes with the Nick and Jessica variety hour before it.

But in Canada it's still on at 7pm (on CTV) (and 10pm on ABC).  But I always tape the end of the US version so I can see the previews!

Btw, it says something quite interesting for tonight's show in my tv guide.  I don't want to spoil this for anyone who isn't on the current season (BK DON'T READ THIS).

But is says that Vaughn doesn't believe that you know who is a mole.

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2004, 09:34:26 AM »

DR Jennifer, I thought you'd gone to Boston to see a stage production of ROCKY HORROR!  I think the last time I threw toast at the screen was 1978.  They still do that nonsense?  

You mean DR Jenny.

I was also confused since she mentioned a screen (and i know she said she was going to see a stage production).

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2004, 09:39:40 AM »

Good morning. HAPPY EASTER! A beautiful day here.

Did something out of the norm this morn. (That rhymes!) Took the wonderdog out for his regular walk to the park. Usually after that I bring him home and go for my own brisk walk. This morning, however, I went back to bed and just lay there like so much fish for almost two hours. I dozed a bit, but mainly just let my mind wander and watched the reflections of the pool playing on the white mini blinds -- like a live Hockney. Very relaxing.
Now I'm off for that walk, then back for a shower, breakfast and some Easter writing.
...CHANGE OF PLANS: As I was writing this, got a call from my friend, Roz, a CA native who now lives in Boulder. She's here on a shoot (she's a documentary filmmaker) and is coming over for quick visit in an hour. So I must walk FAST, shower FASTER and visit FASTEST.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 09:41:23 AM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2004, 09:49:54 AM »

Good morgen.  I'll do any store in NYC where we think we could draw a crowd.  I can tell you from my experience trying to do Bookstar here in LA, one that I live two minutes from, they do what "corporate" dictates, and it was impossible to get in there, same with Barnes and Noble at the Grove, where bits of all the books actually take place.  September would be fine.  And if whatever store doesn't want to deal with the publisher about getting the books (in other words, if they don't want to lay out the cash) I'll bring the books and they can do what the stores in LA do, take their cut of the sales.  That way, no worries for them.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2004, 09:50:50 AM »

The not-quite-clement weather is ruining Easter, ruining, do you hear?

My innovative plan for the holiday, which could have been carried out yesterday, was to go to the wilds of Spanish Harlem, cross the Ward's Island pedestrian bridge, and show the Dear Wife the amazingly vernal and picturesque Ward's and Randall's Islands.  It's something that virtually nobody ever thinks of doing: If you live in Manhattan, you tend to stay in Manhattan.  If you live in Queens, you tend to stay in Manhattan.  If you live in the Bronx, well, I'm sorry, but I've never met you.

In between all three of these boroughs (and providing the base for the tri-borough bridge) are two islands that have, over the years, merged into one.  Ward's has that tall grass you find in rural areas - you know the type, with that grass smell - and across the water the city seems a million miles away.  I once saw a rabbit there (maybe that's why I thought of it for Easter).  The Fire Department has its training facility there: there's a little building that is built to burn 100 times a year; firemen-in-training practice putting it out.  There's the surprisingly lovely grounds of a mental hospital.  I always think of the Mrs. Robinson line "stroll around the grounds until you feel at hom."  Here's what's so surprising: from the triborough bridge, you can only see the tops of its two ugly skyscrapers with bars on the windows.  (Most New Yorkers have been on the bridge, but never down below on the "ground" level of the island.)  In fact, most of the complex is one- or two-story buildings.  And good ones, in both classical and modern styles or architecture.

And a lot of baseball diamonds.  Randall's Island is practically nothing but diamonds.  Unlike Manhattan, the Bronx seems a stone's throw away.  That's the truth: it is a stone's throw away.  And yet if you're scared of the South Bronx, you feel protected by the little moat that stands between you.

As I write this, the sun has come out.  But it's still less than 50 with a 70$ chance of a little rain.

I hope everybody else's Easter wishes get realized.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2004, 09:52:32 AM »

Not having seen the new Pillow Talk DVD I'm reserving judgment, because the sorts who are complaining don't always know what they're talking about.  A lot of what they mention is the sides being cut off - I'm not saying they're wrong, but it also could be overscan on their TV (if they have widescreen TV), something that would not be applicable to the previous non-anamorphic version.  Someone has come on and said the region 2 is perfect, so why Universal would have done anything different for region 1 is baffling.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2004, 09:56:17 AM »

Did something out of the norm this morn. (That rhymes!)

I'm loathe to correct a Hungarian who's shown such mastery of the English language.  But norm and morn do not rhyme.  They contain the same vowel sound, but not the same end consonant, which is important.

They are, however, anagrams.

(Sorry, two weeks ago I taught a songwriting seminar for the first time.  And now it looks like Second City is going to ask me to teach it to their writing students.)

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2004, 10:07:00 AM »

RE: LOVING LUCY, to those who know and/or care.  Originally one of the Lucy-Desi Comedy Specials was written to feature Miss Bette Davis, who fell down some stairs and couldn't do the show.  Miss Tallulah Bankhead stepped in.  If you remember the episode, do you think it would have been better with Davis?  I love Bankhead in the role, although none of the specials are really special....but I keep wondering how Bette would have been.....

First off congratulations on a fine and successfull run of Loving Lucy!

I have not seen the whole episode with Tallulah, but oddly enough I think it was just on tv recently as I saw it as I was flipping channels...and I don't know if Bette would have been better or not but it would surely have been entertaining!!

td

• td
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2004, 10:16:23 AM »

Ah, but is is assonance?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2004, 10:34:41 AM »

Ah, but is is assonance?

Yes, but just as "assume" makes an ass of u and me, "assonance" makes an ass of o and nance.

I don't know who nance is, but I've read The Story of o and nance is in for one interesting time!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2004, 10:37:26 AM »

PR Panni, I love you, but that's really a near rhyme, beloved by all pop song writers, but not really a rhyme.  Call me picayune, call me a nit-picker, just don't call me late to dinner.  Get the hook!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2004, 11:15:47 AM »

Yes, Panni, how can you ever hope to be an apiring songwriter with rhymes like THAT?  You should flog yourself like Judge Turpin and then you should say twelve Hail Marys and one Hail Helen.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2004, 11:16:32 AM »

Helen rhymes with melon and felon and tellin' (cheap, but there you are).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2004, 11:17:21 AM »

Helen does not rhyme with tell 'em, sell 'em, or Auntie Bellum.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 11:18:02 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2004, 11:18:24 AM »

Now, the question is, do I have cake for lunch and dinner?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2004, 11:18:35 AM »

I am my own frenzy.

td

• td
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2004, 11:28:53 AM »

Yes, but just as "assume" makes an ass of u and me, "assonance" makes an ass of o and nance.

I don't know who nance is, but I've read The Story of o and nance is in for one interesting time!
I saw Udo Kier in THE STORY OF O.  A lot.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2004, 12:15:24 PM »

This isn't going to be one of THOSE days, is it?  You know the kind - one post every hour.  Hate those days.  This is Easter - we must have eggs and posts, not necessarily in that order.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2004, 12:23:06 PM »

Good morning all
Happy Easter everyone!  I have just returned from the 10am church service, where I saw many dear old friends that I have not seen in years, which was nice.  My sister has come home for Easter Sunday, althoug she and my father did not attend church with mom and I.  This is okay, church is a personal choice in this family.  Soon we will have our Easter feast...we will have ham,  we will have yams, we will have artichoke, we will have seasoned rice, and it will be grand and glorious and also glorious and grand.  
It is a beautifully beautiful day here in Ellensburg.  A picture perfect Easter Sunday.  The sun is out, it is warm, and there is no real wind to speak of, which is a rare and precious thing in this town.
I enjoyed the pictures of the signing from yesterday.  Looks like a truly marvelous time was had by all...many congrats to dear bk on his success.  

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2004, 12:24:47 PM »

OK BK here's your Egg:

From AndrewSullivan:

"If you still think homosexual "marriage" won't affect you, think again. Your job may be at stake! Legal recognition of unnatural unions is the ultimate societal affirmation. Once the state approves of homosexual "marriages," the full weight of the law will be brought down against men and women of faith who believe in Judeo-Christian values." - Gary Bauer, in his newsletter for his organization, Campaign for Working Families.

Actually, you won't only lose your job, you'll be forced to sing show-tunes every Sunday. Is there no end to the humiliation?

derBrucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2004, 12:25:08 PM »

We did not dye eggs this year, nor did we put out Easter baskets as we did when we were children.  I confess, I kind of miss those childhood traditions.  Watching the young ones at church this morning do the easter egg hunt in the churchyard, it brought back a lot of good memories.  I suppose the next time I can enjoy such things is when I have children of my own.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2004, 12:32:23 PM »

I am getting very sleepy.  Going to bed at 4 am and waking up at 8 will do that to you, I suppose.  Perhaps I shall take an afternoon snooze after our Easter feast is done.  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2004, 12:33:52 PM »

And now I'm quite certian that I will have Easter Parade running through my head all day.  A wonderful song, and a wonderful movie too.  I believe it was the first time I saw Fred Astaire in color.  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2004, 12:34:22 PM »

Goodness, I am creating my own posting frenzy here!  There is no one around to talk to...so sad to be all alone in the world...:)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 12:36:08 PM by Ann »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2004, 12:35:54 PM »

Cooking Tip for the day: Tenderizing Meat

Easter Bunny Whipped by Pa. Church Group

Thursday, April 08, 2004

GLASSPORT, Pa.  — A church trying to teach about the crucifixion of Jesus performed an Easter show with actors whipping the Easter bunny and breaking eggs, upsetting several parents and young children.

People who attended Saturday's performance at Glassport's memorial stadium quoted performers as saying, "There is no Easter bunny," and described the show as being a demonstration of how Jesus was crucified.

Melissa Salzmann, who brought her 4-year-old son J.T., said the program was inappropriate for young children.

"He was crying and asking me why the bunny was being whipped," Salzmann said.

This delightful article courtesy of our friends atFOX

derBrucer (hoping he didn't make Jane cry)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2004, 12:39:34 PM »

I believe it was the first time I saw Fred Astaire in color.  

To see an Astaire costar in real color, watch Finian's Rainbow.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2004, 12:39:34 PM »

Good heavens, DerBrucer!  What a horrible display for young children to see...I can't believe anyone would encourage such a show in a church.  And the youth minister was involved in it?  Yikes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up