Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: EASTER PARADE  (Read 45766 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:EASTER PARADE
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2004, 12:44:11 PM »

Happy Easter, everyone!

I think the Drama Book Shop would be a wonderful place to do a reading, BK!  

I love the store, although I do rather prefer the old stomping grounds.  It was more cramped, but it almost felt clandestine, and I liked that.  I can just spend hours in the Drama Book Shop, but it's dangerous...I always spend way too much money.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2004, 12:44:18 PM »

Good heavens, DerBrucer!  What a horrible display for young children to see...I can't believe anyone would encourage such a show in a church.  And the youth minister was involved in it?  Yikes...

And did you enjoy the bit about the"...a drunken man and a self-mutilating woman..."

derBrucer (amazed that anyone actually clicks on his links - at least Ann is clever enough to recognize one, unlike some other nameless Drs)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2004, 12:51:32 PM »

I think the Drama Book Shop would be a wonderful place to do a reading, BK!  

During out last visit to NYC we went to said establishment and I offered to check the bag I was carrying at the counter (it did contain a recently purchased copy of a play) - Oh, no, said the proprietor - that's OK. This after the clerk at the Virgin Megastore noticed two computer over-rings at checkout and manually corrected them. I tell you, New York just isn't like it used to be!! Friendly proprietor's, aggressively honest clerks - what next, honest politicians!

derBrucer (not too old to be surprised)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2004, 12:57:32 PM »

GLASSPORT, Pa.  — A church trying to teach about the crucifixion of Jesus performed an Easter show with actors whipping the Easter bunny and breaking eggs, upsetting several parents and young children.

Between this group, Mel Gibson, and the Republicans, you can't convince me the Inquistion is over.  I never wanted the Easter Bunny to die for my sins.  

On a lighter note, when is our next delightful Live Chat?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2004, 01:02:42 PM »

On a lighter note, when is our next delightful Live Chat?

Uh oh.  Someone didn't read today's notes very carefully and/or all the way to the end.

A surefire way to frost--and I mean frost--Dear BK.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 01:03:10 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2004, 01:15:33 PM »

Maybe tomorrow's topic will be:

THE REALLY FROSTED JEW

derBrucer

(Speaking of reading the notes, I see that BK mentioned:

As a treat, I stopped all dieting for a day and hate a huge Mexican dinner (because of the diet I haven’t eaten Mexican food in almost a year). Man, was it yummilicious, but I ate so much food (and chips and guacamole and salsa) that I was totally bloated for the rest of the evening.

I suspect his getting "bloated" was comeuppance for his desire to "hate a huge Mexican dinner".)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 01:16:16 PM by DERBRUCER »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2004, 01:15:45 PM »

My visitor is gone and I am alone and rhymeless once more.
Good grief! What a stir I created with norm and morn! I don't even want to ask if DR Ann's "ham' and "yam" rhyme. :P

How about this? Any bad rhymes?

A nap lement
Eljot a csend.
Szellouzott
Felhok kozott
Meremgve jar
A holdsugar
Mint rom felett
A kepzelet.

(Didn't do the accents. ) :-*

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2004, 01:17:00 PM »

After discussing lousy movie musicals the other day, I celebrated that today with MAN OF LA MANCHA on laserdisc. Yes, it's badly paced and some songs are missing. Sophia Loren doesn't have enough vocal power to do her songs justice, and they've chosen a singer (Simon Gilbert) to dub O'Toole who matches well with Peter O'Toole's speaking voice but who isn't a very powerful or involving vocalist.

All that said, the movie is still faithful to the spirit of the stage work and I don't feel is an embarrassment. (I know I'm in the minority here.) Nothing like how A CHORUS LINE was chopped away, refocused, and its theme cheapened by Attenborough's horrendous direction and an ill-chosen cast.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2004, 01:22:41 PM »

(Speaking of reading the notes, I see that BK mentioned:
As a treat, I stopped all dieting for a day and hate a huge Mexican dinner (because of the diet I haven’t eaten Mexican food in almost a year). Man, was it yummilicious, but I ate so much food (and chips and guacamole and salsa) that I was totally bloated for the rest of the evening.
I suspect his getting "bloated" was comeuppance for his desire to "hate a huge Mexican dinner".)

I didn't comment on bk's "hate/ate" because I thought it was perhaps written on purpose. One of my more embarrassing moments was many years ago when I was introduced to some people from the Newfoundland. They said "Pleased to meet you, Hannah"  I corrected them, saying "My name is 'Anna'..."  
Turned out that "Hannah" was how they pronounced "Anna" with the Nfld accent.
(This has nothing to dow with why bk wrote hate instead of ate, of course. But it brought it to mind.)
Sincerely,
Hannah

DERBRUCER

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2004, 01:25:40 PM »

nap lement
Eljot a csend.
Szellouzott
Felhok kozott
Meremgve jar
A holdsugar
Mint rom felett
A kepzelet.

For those of you who cannot interpret Hungarian Haiku, I offer the following attempt:

For a short snooze, I pine
Eliot (the poet) soars!
Szell’s concert is SRO
Fall-back Cosette (yelled Mario to his beloved)
My Mother’s memories are in the jar, which used to hold the sugar)
(The last verse is obscene!)

der translating Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2004, 01:28:09 PM »

Hey congrats to BK on yesterday's book signing.  The pics were great!

Btw, the weather is not so good here either.  VERY COLD.   And trying to find anything open is not fun.  Although the grocery store was open as was the pharmacy.  But those are not fun places to go!

Panni

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2004, 01:28:18 PM »

I adore PILLOW TALK and THAT TOUCH OF MINK and all those lovely Doris ("I knew her before she was a virgin") Day movies. Would love to see them again, no matter what they look like.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2004, 01:30:58 PM »

Uh oh.  Someone didn't read today's notes very carefully and/or all the way to the end.

I read the notes!  Five hours ago!  I forgot!  Jeez, everyone's a critic.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2004, 01:31:13 PM »

After watching Meet Me in St. Louis I wondered if a movie can be shot in the three color technocolor process today?
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2004, 01:31:49 PM »

So call me a Frosted Flake!

Panni

« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2004, 01:32:27 PM »

For a short snooze, I pine
Eliot (the poet) soars!
Szell’s concert is SRO
Fall-back Cosette (yelled Mario to his beloved)
My Mother’s memories are in the jar, which used to hold the sugar)
(The last verse is obscene!)

Close but no szivar.

Michael

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2004, 01:33:23 PM »

Okay how many people still haven't done their taxes?
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2004, 01:33:31 PM »

Oh I had forgotten that Mexican food was mentioned in the notes.  Darn it.  I love Mexican food.  ANd it has been SO LONG since I've had it, I can barely remember what it tastes like. :(

DERBRUCER

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2004, 01:35:08 PM »

"My name is 'Anna'..."  

Not quite the same ring as "I am Spartacus", or the later day "I'm Gay", but still a strident pronouncement of self-awareness.

derBrucer (wondering if we are to get a long-form of "My Name is Anna!")

DERBRUCER

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2004, 01:37:49 PM »

Okay how many people still haven't done their taxes?

You could have gone all day and not brought that up!!!!

derBrucer (longing for a "friendly" site)

Michael

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2004, 01:43:08 PM »

Here is a loby card from a classic 60's musical.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2004, 01:49:24 PM »

I suppose there are still old Technicolor cameras around in archives or something that possibly could be repaired or made fit for use, but the process ceased because it was too cost prohibitive in comparison to more modern color processes. I'm sure that hasn't changed.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2004, 01:50:19 PM »

I just looked it up. The last Amertican feature filmed with the old Technicolor camera was FOXFIRE in 1955.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2004, 02:14:51 PM »

My innovative plan for the holiday, which could have been carried out yesterday, was to go to the wilds of Spanish Harlem, cross the Ward's Island pedestrian bridge, and show the Dear Wife the amazingly vernal and picturesque Ward's and Randall's Islands.  

Constructed in 1917 for the Penn Central Railroad, the Hell Gate Bridge reaches from Astoria, across Randall's and Ward's Islands to the Bronx. With a 1,017-foot parabolic arch and three miles of concrete viaduct, it is the longest bridge of its type in the world, and it formed a crucial link in the rail system from Canada and New England to the South and West.

Here is a fascinating picture essay from 1872.

THE WORKHOUSE.

In the rear of the Almshouse is the Workhouse, one of the handsomest on the island.  It is constructed of hewn stone, and consists of a central building four stories in height, with a northern and a southern wing, with a traverse section across the extreme end of each wing.  In these traverse sections are located the workshops.  The entire length of the building is 680 feet.  Not counting the convict labor, the cost of its construction was over $100,000.  The stone of which it was built was obtained on the island.

In the central building are located the kitchens and store-rooms, the private quarters of the Superintendent and the other officials, and a large and handsome chapel.  The wings contain each a broad hall, on each side of which are three tiers of cells, one above the other.  Iron galleries, with stairways, extend along the fronts of these cells, and afford access to them.  There are 150 cells in each wing.  Each cell is provided with an iron grated door, and contains four single berths.  The cells are separated from each other by brick walls.  In the workshops, the carpenter's, blacksmith's, wheelwright's, tinner's, tailor's, and other trades are carried on.  The men are also kept at work grading the island, building the seawall, and cultivating the gardens.  Gangs of laborers are sent daily to engage in the works on Ward's and Randall's islands.  The women are made to do the housework and cleaning of the various institutions on the island, and are employed in washing, mending, sewing, knitting, etc.  All the inmates are obliged to labor.

The number of persons annually sent to the Workhouse is from 15,000 to 20,000.  The vagrant, dissipated, and disorderly classes are sent here by the city police courts, ten days being the average term of commitment.  Drunkenness is the principal cause of their detention here.  Very few are Americans.  Of the foreigners, the Irish are the most numerous, the Germans are next.

Back of the Workhouse, and occupying the extreme upper portion of the island, is the New York Lunatic Asylum.  It is a large and commodious building, with several out-buildings, with accommodations for 576 patients.  A new Lunatic Asylum is now in course of erection on Ward's Island.  It is to accommodate 500 patients.  It is one of the most complete establishments in the country, and is built of brick and Ohio freestone.  It is a very handsome building, with an imposing front of 175 feet.  The two asylums will accommodate 1076 patients, but they are not adequate to the accommodation of all the afflicted for whom the city is required is to provide.  Still further accommodations are needed.  In 1870, the number of patients committed to the care of the Commissioners were over 1300.

derBrucer

td

• td
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2004, 02:15:16 PM »

Well, if DR MattH thinks that viewing MAN OF LAMANCHA on laserdisc is going to create a furor, I'll happily admit that I plugged George Stevens' THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD into the dvd player today.  (I know it's a long movie, and I started it earlier today, BUT, it only now reached the INTERMISSION!)
I hadn't seen this in quite some time, and time, regrets to Jerry Herman, DOES NOT heal everything.  
Still and all, it is a beautiful picutre to look at, very painterly (and yes, alot of of the time the shots are so interminable that watching it is akin to watching paint dry).
Beautiful score, though.
Amongst those "spot-the-guest-star"cameos, Ed Wynn, John Wayne and Pat Boone probably come off the worst.

About the only things I like in the film of MAN OF LAMANCH is Sophia Loren and Brian Blessed -  I just think that it looks like it was filmed for $.50.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2004, 02:20:15 PM »

It would not be feasable to shoot with the old Technicolor cameras.  They were behemoths - huge unwieldy things.  The film magazines were gargantuan because they held three rolls of film (hence Three Strip Tech).  

I went away for an hour and by gum and by golly and buy bonds if we didn't have us a posting frenzy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2004, 02:20:57 PM »

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2004, 03:09:03 PM »

Well, here I am a day or two behind in reading the lovely notes (and looking at all the lovely pictures of DR FS Charles Pogue and his lovely wife Julianne), but I could not let this holiday season pass without reminiscing and sharing.

Long before the Passion of Mel Gibson, well before Jesus Christ Superstar, when I was a twig of a lad in college, I wrote and directed the musical comedy The King of Kings and I or My Son, the Messiah.  Oh yes, it was produced at Caltech and later at the University of Wisconsin.  But alas not on Broadway.  However, and this is a long post, I had to share one lyric with you.  This is, as Lehman Engel would have it, a "musical scene" to a recognizable melody.

JESUS:   Dear kindly Pontius Pilate, I'll speak in my defense:
   Forget my case and file it.  It doesn't make much sense.
   They call me a blasphemer, they say that I'm a clod.
   Pontius Pilate, I'm the Son of God!
PHARISEES &
 SADUCEES:   Oh, gee, Pontius Pilate, this man we accuse,
   Because he keeps insisting he's the King of the Jews.
   His blasphemous heresies ever increase.
   He claims that he's the Prince of Peace!

JESUS:   Prince of Peace!

P&S:   King of Jews!  Prince of Peace!
   He's a duke at least,
   And he claims that he's the Prince of Peace!

PILATE:   Waita just a minute!  If he'sa da Kings da Jews, what's he adoin' her?

JESUS:   That's what I'd like to know!

PILATE:   This isa none-a my business!  Take 'im to Caiaphas the High Priest!

JESUS:   Dear kindly High Priest, Father, they want to nail me up.
   I'd like to say I'd rather you would remove this cup.
   Just give me an acquittal, and things will be all right.
   Father, I'm the Way, the Truth, the Light!

CAIAPHAS:   Well, gee, Jesus Christ, I must say it is odd
   To see you stand here and to hear you claim to be God.
   I can't really swallow a word that you've said.
   It's common knowledge God is Dead.

JESUS:   God is dead?

P & S:   God is dead, God is dead,
   God is dead, dead, dead!
   He is theologically dead!

CAIAPHAS:   But this isn't my affair.  The offended party is the King of the Jews.

JESUS:   Right here!

CAIAPHAS:   Not you--the real King of the Jews.  Take him to Herod!

JESUS:   Dear kindly old King Herod, O monarch of renown,
   Don't think that I have dar-ed to try to take your crown.
   It's true that I'm a King--I have been one from my birth,
   But my kingdom is not of this earth!

HEROD:   Well, gee, Jesus Christ, that's a pitiful plea.
   The crime that you've committed even out-Herods me!
   To teach you your place and to show you who's boss,
   You'll have to hang upon the cross!

JESUS:   On the cross?

P & S:   On the cross, on the cross,
   On the big wood cross!
   We must nail you up upon the cross!

HEROD:   This guy must go!  But I don't have the legal authority to crucify    him.   
JESUS:   Too bad!

HEROD:   So take him back to the man who does--Pontius Pilate!

JESUS:   Dear kindly buddy Pontius, well here I am again,
   And still I am not conscious of just what is my sin.
   This Roman crucifixion just doesn't sound like fun.
   Not my will, but my Father's must be done.

PILATE:   Well, gee, Jesus Crhist, you have lost by a hair.
   I'm going to wash my hands of this entire affair!
   I gave them Barabbas, but he won't suffice.
   Your blood will have to pay the price!

JESUS:   That's not nice!

P & S:   Pay the price, pay the price,
   As a sacrufice!
   Jesus' blood will have to pay the price!

CAIAPHAS:   The trouble is he teaches!
P:   The trouble is he heals1
HEROD:   The point is what he preaches!
S:   The point it what he feels!
CAIAPHAS:   The point is he's a Christian!
PILATE:   The point is he's a Jew!
JESUS:   Father, forgive them; they know not what they do1

ALL BUT J.C.:   Oh, gee, Jesus Christ, we are sorry to say
   We're gonna have to crucify you early today!
PILATE:   The people say kill you.  What am I to do?
JESUS:   Gee, Pontius Pilate--bless you!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 08:50:25 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Panni

« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2004, 03:19:55 PM »

...And then of course there was "Maria, I've just met a mom named Maria..."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2004, 03:36:24 PM »

And one for Mahler.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up