Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WE GET LETTERS  (Read 20246 times)

td

• td
Re: WE GET LETTERS
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 08:32:01 AM »

I am not equipped to be a Siberian Husky.  Dixie trekking through the snow is one thing, me, behind her, on the leash is slapstick comedy.  Our yard is not flat, no, except for the front yard, which is the LAST place that Dixie wants to run.  Maybe she laughs when she sees me sailing downhill into her fence. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 08:58:49 AM »

We finally got the snow that was predicted, looks like about 4 inches so far....still falling.

Squirrels and birds were most grateful for their feeders today.....many more than usual were at the table.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »

And everybody was sharing surprisingly well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 08:59:26 AM »

I have MANY letters and CARDS from years and years......now and then I look at them - it is most interesting.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 09:00:01 AM »

What a precipitous discovery that your cousin made MR BK.....it is quite interesting and entertaining.....

FJL

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2010, 09:11:17 AM »

The person who's supposed to review the tax return I'm doing today is off for three weeks beginning on Monday. 

We are still missing some information, so it is a puzzlement.

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2010, 09:12:05 AM »

Because yesterday was Epiphany, I am finally allowed to start taking down Christmas decorations.  Good thing to do when you're snowbound.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »

Because yesterday was Epiphany, I am finally allowed to start taking down Christmas decorations.  Good thing to do when you're snowbound.

How funny.  Yesterday, I HAD an epiphany.   Sadly, I must continue working for the time being.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 09:29:45 AM »

DR Jane, last night you were talking about reserving books at your library that have not come out yet.

RE: my library, i do not know how many people are ahead of me. That I will not know, until they receive the book in may. Then next time i take out a book i will get a printout. Our printouts show the books we have on reservation and what place we are. Usually if you reserve a book 4 months in advance you will 1st or 2nd.

But in this case some people might not have realized that the book wasn't coming out yet (in our system it shows as forthcoming in the series) so that might have requested it months ago.

If i were you i'd ask when they were planning to order the book, or else just keep checking back. You are lucky if they haven't taken any reservations yet. Then you can be first! (and i'm sure they will get many copies).

i go online from my computer to put holds on, and to track them.  i'll occasionally check to see if the book is available to place a hold on, nothing else i can do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 09:32:02 AM »

TOD:  Yes.  I have saved tons of letters and things from the past.  My most extensive collection is from my longtime best friend Jim Whaley who died in 1992 but with whom I have letters going back to the early 1970s.  Jim had a syndicated show on PBS called "Cinema Showcase".  Over the years, he shared many "plums" about folks he met, interviewed or "whatever" in the course of hosting his shows.

I also save my Birthday, Special Occasion and Christmas cards!  I often ask myself "Why", but save them I do.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 09:34:47 AM »

I am not equipped to be a Siberian Husky.  Dixie trekking through the snow is one thing, me, behind her, on the leash is slapstick comedy.  Our yard is not flat, no, except for the front yard, which is the LAST place that Dixie wants to run.  Maybe she laughs when she sees me sailing downhill into her fence. . .

;D  are you ok?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 09:40:48 AM »

I'm up and the sky is blue and the sun is shining, not necessarily in that order.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2010, 09:41:16 AM »

Was yesterday the actual Epiphany?  I've been hearing from a number of people who said that it was on Sunday.  But how can that be?  AFAIK, it's not a floating holiday.

In any case, I recognize yesterday as the Epiphany and had my Christmas tree and lights on for the one last night of the year.  I will start putting things away tonight when I get home from work.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2010, 09:42:59 AM »

I have a lot of interesting things saved, including a lot of fan mail from my acting days, especially when I was doing the Dinah Shore series.  I also have all my Sondheim notes since 1989, hundreds of them, and correspondence with other musical theater people - Harvey Schmidt, Kander, Strouse, Coleman, and others.  I have a few letters from people I was going out with, and stuff like that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »

Post deleted.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 09:43:56 AM »

They are calling for snow starting overnight in the Philly area, which means there will be won't enough on the ground by tomorrow morning to keep one at home but enough to make driving a pain.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »

Was yesterday the actual Epiphany?  I've been hearing from a number of people who said that it was on Sunday.  But how can that be?  AFAIK, it's not a floating holiday.

In any case, I recognize yesterday as the Epiphany and had my Christmas tree and lights on for the one last night of the year.  I will start putting things away tonight when I get home from work.

The actual day is January 6.  Christians celebrate the Feast of Epiphany on the second Sunday after Christmas, whatever the date.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »

Apparently LOST fans are annoyed. Obama is considering two possible dates for his State of the Union address. And one of them is feb 2 the premiere date for LOST.

Although the other is january 26th the premiere date for AMERICAN IDOL. So either way some people will be mad. I wonder if Fox would show IDOL and put the speech on Fox news.

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 10:10:52 AM »

The actual day is January 6.  Christians celebrate the Feast of Epiphany on the second Sunday after Christmas, whatever the date.

That's sort of how we're doing it at Fr. Richard's church in Lima.  January 6 is Epiphany by the calendar, but we're celebrating this coming Sunday. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 10:20:13 AM »

Good afternoon!  It's way way way cold here.  Tomorrow it's supposed to be -45 windchill during the day.  I decided to call my clients scheduled for tomorrow and reschedule them.  this is the weather that if you break down in a ditch and run out of gas, you die.  I'm not going to risk that happening to someone trying to reach me. 

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 10:21:32 AM »

You've given me a true love
And every day I thank you, love,
For a feeling that's so new
So inviting, so exciting

Whenever you're near
I have Epiphany!
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 10:21:41 AM »

we had 5.5 inches of snow and 40 mph winds last night.  I had to get up very early and blow the snow out of my driveway and about 1/2 block of the street so I could get through to get to my 8:30 AM court hearing.   It was worth it.   The judge went from telling me my request was unreasonable to agreeing with it 30 minutes later.  It was wonderful for my client.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »

I have some letters I've saved over the years, but when I moved from the lake to Sioux City I spent hours shredding many many of them.  I also shredded my old journals.  I read them and decided that I really didn't want anyone to discover all my intimate thoughts by finding a journal of mine.   If they aren't close enough to me to know those things then they don't deserve to ever know them

Cillaliz

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 10:25:17 AM »

Ok, time to think about venturing out into the cold.  Oh Joy,.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 10:30:11 AM »

I'm a bit of an archivist of my own life and have boxes and boxes of paper and letters to and from me.  I have all my working notes and early hand-written drafts on my scripts (even scraps of odd paper with ideas or sample dialogue written on them),  most of my English and Drama school notebooks from High and College. Cards Julieanne and I have given each other over the years.  Reviews, newspaper clippings, articles, magazines in which I or my films have appeared.

The notebooks and working drafts are always interesting because I am also a chronic doodler, so there are lots of little faces and figures in the margins of things.

Every so often I go through and purge some of this paper.  Keeping like 3 copies of a review instead of five copies, letters that have no real significance anymore...I think I threw out most of the college letters written to me from friends except for one, because his letters were always so off-beat and amusing. 

These days I even save hard copies of emails that I want to remember.

I kept a journal during my first to years of college and what was fascinating about going back and reading that was there were incidents I don't have remotest memory of...They had to have happen, because it's there in black and white, mentioning people I don't recall and can't even conjure up a mental image of. 

I also kept a journal during the filming of DRAGONHEART.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 10:30:26 AM »

It is very windy in Portland as well.  Trees are down all over the place--very hazardous driving.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2010, 10:44:21 AM »

You've given me a true love
And every day I thank you, love,
For a feeling that's so new
So inviting, so exciting

Whenever you're near
I have Epiphany!

I think that just caused the 4.1 earthquake in the Bay Area

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2010, 10:52:06 AM »

Wow, no wind at all in Salem, JMK. I am glad we missed it.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2010, 10:54:24 AM »

I had saved all correspondence and cards but threw a lot of it out, back in the early 90s. I really wish now that I had saved the birthday and Christmas cards, at least.

I do save all cards now, however, and will never again throw them out.

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2010, 10:56:20 AM »

BK, that is wonderful that you kept your old fan letters. One day you will have to post some of them. It would be fun to know what people wrote. Who knows, maybe some of those fans are HHW lurkers now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up