Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WE GET LETTERS  (Read 20245 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WE GET LETTERS
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:08:26 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had letters, the letters made words, the words made sentences, the sentences made paragraphs, and the paragraphs made notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently reading their old letters.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: WE GET LETTERS
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:10:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: HADAL!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:32:11 AM »

BK, that's cool that your cousin Dee Dee saved the letters for all these years...and it's amazing that you wrote in your book about the very thing you wrote in the letters!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:33:49 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 03:23:47 AM »

Good morning, all! I am up early to finish up the cello parts. I may have to make an emergency trip to my HMO this morning to deal with my quarterly premium that hasn't yet landed. I will know no more about it until the offices open around 9 am.

The good news is that my neighbor above me has been away for the past few days and I'm sleeping rather well, although I'd just as soon go back to bed at the moment.

To work!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 04:16:13 AM »

Didn't he compose Hadal's Messiah?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 04:18:12 AM »

I felt like I was in NYC without leaving Florida yesterday.
We had the same high's and lo's temperatures yesterday.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Never stop dreaming.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 04:54:34 AM »

And The Song Of The Day Is:  HOW DEEP IS THE OCEAN

Ben

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 04:55:27 AM »

Good morning to no one in particular. It's 7:51am and I'm oatmealed and coffeed and will resume with Mr. Mott (Charles Stewart) and I will listen to Ballroom, which Anthony transferred from tape to CD last night using our new machine. It's much easier than using the old boom box.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:55:52 AM »

Ahh, Mr. Brockman appeared while I was typing/talking to myself.

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 05:31:24 AM »

DR Jane, last night you were talking about reserving books at your library that have not come out yet.

RE: my library, i do not know how many people are ahead of me. That I will not know, until they receive the book in may. Then next time i take out a book i will get a printout. Our printouts show the books we have on reservation and what place we are. Usually if you reserve a book 4 months in advance you will 1st or 2nd.

But in this case some people might not have realized that the book wasn't coming out yet (in our system it shows as forthcoming in the series) so that might have requested it months ago.

If i were you i'd ask when they were planning to order the book, or else just keep checking back. You are lucky if they haven't taken any reservations yet. Then you can be first! (and i'm sure they will get many copies).

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 05:33:48 AM »

Morning, all. I'm a bit of a pack rat, but letters are surprisingly one of the things I don't horde. The boxes are full of old Playbills, menus, souvenirs from trips, etc.
Can you imagine reaching back 20 years from now and having to use postings and e-mails to conjure the same types of memories? Won't be as rich and rewarding. We tend to cut off e-mails quicker and keep them as short as a tweet or as emotionally empty. I used to write lengthy notes in Christmas cards, but this year I only managed to get two of those in the mail.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 05:44:53 AM »

Good Morning.  My name is Kerry, and I'm a packrat (Hi, Kerry!)

I save letters, Playbills, ticket stubs, the whole magilla.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 06:01:54 AM »

TOD:

I was very much into letter writing when I was in my teens and twenties and I've saved just about all of them.  My favorite letters were from a girl I was sweet on in grammar school who began writing to me once I moved away from Camden after sixth grade.  She sent me very funny letters with outrageous envelopes.

I remember the one thing that struck me over and over again about the letters I received was how much people would reveal in writing that they would not say in person.  I guess that also holds true to today with on-line exchanges...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 06:06:01 AM »

DR JMK--wow!  Very cool house!  Nice sized kitchen, a steamroom and a mountain in your back yard! 
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Laura

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 06:07:30 AM »

TOD: I don't believe I really ever received many letters. I did take a trip down memory lane a few months ago -- over the shredder. Got rid of a lot of junk.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 06:48:48 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  It's snowing heavily here in SW Ohio and we're in for a significant accumulation.  I've rescheduled my non-urgent doctor's appointment and am in for the day.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 06:52:13 AM »

Good morning!

19 here this morning, so again no walk as I'm still fighting a congested head and not wanting it to get any worse. No relief from this bitter cold either. The five day forecast in the newspaper has it lingering past those days. Argh!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 06:53:31 AM »

A little while ago, CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN 2 on Blu-ray arrived, so my work project for the day is set. Doesn't appear mto be overloaded with bonus stuff: a commentary and a couple of other bonus features looks to be all it has. And since the movie is only a little over 90 minutes long, I should be able to handle this all this afternoon and have the evening free.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 06:55:10 AM »

Of course, aside from the national championship college football contest, TV tonight is a raft of reruns. Still, I'm looking forward to the MENTALIST rerun which I enjoyed the first time around (as I recall). I may record the BONES rerun tonight to revisit. SUPERNATURAL isn't one of the better episodes tonight, but it does have a nice gay surprise at the end of the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 06:59:10 AM »

TOD:

I saved a few personal heartfelt letters written by students I taught who went on to great things and wrote me to thank me for what they learned in my class. I saved a couple of colleagues' letters over the years that were complimentary, too.

I met a dear pen pal in 1974 because both of us were members of the ENTERTAINMENT BOOK CLUB, and we began corresponding about Judy Garland. We wrote over the course of 20 years, and I saved all the letters. Eventually, we both came out to one another as being gay men (though he was actually bisexual marrying two different women in his life but also having affairs with men on the side). Anyway, we have lost touch over the last few years. He was going through some terrible financial crises, and I think he just lost interest in our friendship. But I do occasionally pluck a letter out of the stack and read it just to remember those innocent days of youthful correspondence.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 07:04:46 AM »

DR JMK--wow!  Very cool house!  Nice sized kitchen, a steamroom and a mountain in your back yard! 

That photo of Hood is a bit misleading.  My hunch is it was taken by a telephoto lens.  That said, the view is astounding--miles and miles of valley and then, waaaaaaay off in the distance, Mt. Hood.  ;)

We're going to take the kids there on Saturday.  I didn't mention there was one concerning thing about the house--as I stated, the basement is a really weird configuration where you go downstairs to the "main" part of the basement (which has two bedrooms, the "pool" room, with adjoining office and that room with the fireplace you can see).  Then you turn a corner, go down two steps and you're in this ornately tiled room that we think they used for exercising.  It has the steam room and a huge tiled shower.  Then there is yet another set of stairs, rather large actually (as in very, very wide) that go down probably another five feet or so to yet another large room which we think would be the kids' playroom.  Off of that room is a sort of finished storeroom with the furnace, etc.  But there was water dripping in there and quite a bit had pooled at the lowest point.  We had our realtor ask the listing agent and he said the owners were convinced it was due to the "water feature" (read little pond) in the front yard and that they'd have it fixed.  But it's still worrisome.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 07:06:25 AM »

My work project today is DARWIN'S DARKEST HOUR, NatGeo's first foray into telefilms.  It has Henry Ian Cusick, Desmond from LOST.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 07:19:51 AM »

I'm heading down now to get cleaned up for my lunch outing today with friends.

WBBL.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 08:02:05 AM »

My work project today is DARWIN'S DARKEST HOUR, NatGeo's first foray into telefilms.  It has Henry Ian Cusick, Desmond from LOST.

Whatever happened to that Darwin theatrical film that was having trouble finding a distributor in the US--has it been shown anywhere yet?
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 08:06:46 AM »

There are simply some personal details about people (here and everywhere else) that I am neither curious about nor do I wish to ponder or learn the answers to.

That includes how many pieces of underwear someone has (laundry associations notwithstanding).

Ewwwwwwwwwwww................................

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 08:07:36 AM »

I'm awake.  TOD - I can barley write an email, let alone letters!  I do try and save Playbills and souvenir things, and if you talk about hording, there is that CD collection that always seems to get out of hand.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »

I have a little hadal
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Then hadal I shall play!

Oh - hadal, hadal, hadal
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Then hadal I shall play!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 08:15:45 AM »

(No groaning, please).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 08:17:15 AM »

And if you think the Dreidel song takeoff is lame, you should have seen what I did with Crowded House's "Hey Now" when I considered that "hadal" might be pronounced  as "hey-dahl'."  (Hadal, Hadal, don't dream it's over....)

Oof-ta.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:19:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 08:20:33 AM »

It's a very bone-chilling 41 degrees here in Oakland this morning.   The air is damp from the fog, of course.  And we're at sea level and not really used to dips below 50 on the Fahrenheit thermometer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up