Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WE GET LETTERS  (Read 20247 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: WE GET LETTERS
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2010, 11:03:17 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm going to the ballet to tonight. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2010, 11:05:13 AM »

PAGE THREE NYCO MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM DANCE!!

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2010, 11:13:15 AM »

At the ballet...

At the ballet...

At the BALLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET....

(cue Trumpet blaze)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »

bk - That's very cool about Dee Dee and her stash of letters.  -There really are no such things as coincidences.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2010, 11:18:15 AM »

OH!

bk - Maybe you could make this forthcoming book an "interactive experience" like those Griffin & Sabine* books.  You could place reproductions of your actually letters in envelopes in the book!

*I really did - and still do - love that series.  Great art work, and a very mysterious and haunting story, correspondence.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2010, 11:26:37 AM »

My work project today is DARWIN'S DARKEST HOUR, NatGeo's first foray into telefilms.  It has Henry Ian Cusick, Desmond from LOST.

Whatever happened to that Darwin theatrical film that was having trouble finding a distributor in the US--has it been shown anywhere yet?

You mean "Creation" with Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany?  If so...

I believe it ran for a week at Lincoln Plaza Cinemas here in NYC late last fall in order to qualify for the various awards.  -It's due for a wide(r) U.S. release later this month.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2010, 11:53:15 AM »

(No groaning, please).

How about "throwing of rotten fruit and vegetables" then?
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »

Good afternoon!  It's way way way cold here.  Tomorrow it's supposed to be -45 windchill during the day.  I decided to call my clients scheduled for tomorrow and reschedule them.  this is the weather that if you break down in a ditch and run out of gas, you die.  I'm not going to risk that happening to someone trying to reach me. 

I cannot imagine choosing to live in a place like this...EVER!! :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »

"I Am Not Equipped To Be A Siberian Husky" will not be the title of my autobiography.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2010, 12:03:26 PM »

So...

~~~Stay Warm and Safe Vibes for Cillaliz and Anyone Else Living in the Cold!!~~~

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2010, 12:22:29 PM »

DR MBarnum - If you're looking for something new but still familiar to you, you may want to check out this CLIP from a production of Handel's Guilio Cesare that was presented at Glyndeborne back in 2005 (and then subsequently at Lyric Opera of Chicago).

The director, David McVicar, set the opera during late 19th century colonial Egypt... And staged it as a Bollywood movie! -And, yes, there is dancing!

The whole production is available on DVD if you are so inclined.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2010, 12:33:53 PM »

here's something we hope you'll really like!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2010, 12:35:07 PM »

We finally got the snow that was predicted, looks like about 4 inches so far....still falling.

Squirrels and birds were most grateful for their feeders today.....many more than usual were at the table.

I'm wondering just how much snow we'll actually end up getting here in NYC later tonight and tomorrow morning.  The forecast has been changing as the hours creep apace.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2010, 12:48:26 PM »

In other news...

My radio went off - actually went "on" - at 7:00am like it usually does. Usually, I just end up listening for a while then drift back off to sleep. However, sometimes I end up listening and listening and eventually turning on the lights and putting my feet on the floor.  This morning was one of those mornings.

I had toyed with the idea of heading down to the new Lincoln Center Atrium to take advantage of their new Day-Of Ticket program.  Their new discount ticket booth opened today, and they're running a special "20 for 20" promotion to kick things off.  Any tickets being sold at the booth will be $20 for the first 20 days of business.  I had signed up for their Atrium Tix program, and received an email last night informing what would be available today: Big Apple Circus, South Pacific and NYC Ballet's A Midsummer Night's Dream.  I really wasn't in the mood to go to the circus... And I've seen this production of South Pacific at least three times... And I really wasn't sure I'd be in the mood for the ballet... So..

But since I was up and awake this morning, I decided to at least go down to the new Atrium to see what the crowd was like.  When I got down around 8:20, I didn't see anyone standing outside in line.  And when I stepped into the Atrium, there were only about four or five other people in there.  A woman asked me if I was there for the tickets, and I said "... Yes.", and she directed me to a podium where a staff member was handing out numbered bracelets.  -I ended up with #26.  Since they would not start lining up people until 11:30 - the box offices opens at Noon - I went ahead and ran some errands...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2010, 01:02:36 PM »

After running some errands and having breakfast with my friend, Brendan, I headed back up to the Atrium to get in line for the ticket distribution.

The Lincoln Center staff did a great job of trying to make sure that everything ran as smoothly as possible.  Extra security guards were directing people where to go. Staff from the Executive Offices were greeting the First Day ticket buyers, myself included.  And they even had a brass trio providing some fun jazz and Dixieland selections to keep our toes tapping while we waited in line.

Of course, since it is New York City, there were a few complainers and out-and-out crazies in the line.  I got into an interesting "discussion" with one woman who kept bitching about people cutting in front of her.

-Well, if you're number 42, and she's number 35, she should be in front of you.
"But she wasn't here when they called the group."
-It doesn't matter.  That's why Lincoln Center numbered the bracelets.
"Well, it's just not fair. I got here first."
-Actually, no you didn't.  She arrived before you earlier this morning if she has a lower number than you.
"Was I talking to you? I mean, this really isn't how this should be done. And my friend here (point), and this gentleman here (point) also think that people should not be cutting in line of front of us."
-There are plenty of tickets available. You're far enough at the front of the line that you're bound to get a ticket, so just be thankful that Lincoln Center started this program.
"It's just not fair.  I mean I'm not even getting these tickets for myself.  I'm getting them for some friends who are coming in from out of town later."
-Well, that's very nice of you to...
"Don't talk to me like that! Don't patronize me!"

Bitch, bitch, bitch. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

The gentleman in front of me asked me why I kept trying to explain things to her, to calm her down.  I told him I was just trying to make sure that things were being done the way that Lincoln Center meant them to be run.  We ended up having a good laugh about it all.

The box office window opened at Noon, and at around 12:15, I walked away with a decent rear orchestra seat for tonight's performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream. -I believe this will be the first Balanchine ballet I've seen live, in person!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2010, 01:08:55 PM »

Post-Script #1:

Behind woman #42, there were two older women trying to figure out where in line they should be.  One of them had #27 - the number after mine.  So...

In full view of #42, I pulled up the divider(?), and made way for #27 and her companion to move over... In front of me.  :)

*Then after a few more minutes of waiting, #27 let me move in front of her once the line started moving.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2010, 01:10:13 PM »

My work project today is DARWIN'S DARKEST HOUR, NatGeo's first foray into telefilms.  It has Henry Ian Cusick, Desmond from LOST.

Whatever happened to that Darwin theatrical film that was having trouble finding a distributor in the US--has it been shown anywhere yet?

You mean "Creation" with Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany?  If so...

I believe it ran for a week at Lincoln Plaza Cinemas here in NYC late last fall in order to qualify for the various awards.  -It's due for a wide(r) U.S. release later this month.

Thanks, DR Jose--I've been wondering about that one...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2010, 01:10:53 PM »

It was beautiful eariler today, but now the snow clouds are moving in. It's always a toss-up here whether we will get icy precipitation or not. SInce tomorrow is my grocery store day, of course I hope we DON"T get any, but time will tell.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2010, 01:11:44 PM »

Post-Script #2:

I also made sure to Thank the Lincoln Center staff members who were there this morning on my way out.  During the course of the Thank You's, I happened to run into the woman who actually "built" the Atrium.  She was the one in charge of the fund-raising and planning and conversion of the space. She also filled me in on the other upcoming improvements to the Lincoln Center Plaza.  I'm really looking forward to the new underground walkway and taxi-plaza that's due to open in a few weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2010, 01:12:39 PM »

I can feel a change in the air, too. It was a dry cold all week, but there's a dampness in the air now that is MOST uncomfortable. Oh, how I hope that the snow stays away! (sleet and ice as well).

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2010, 01:14:09 PM »

Before I left for lunch, I had time finally watch Tuesday night's NCIS: LA. It was an OK action drama. These people in trouble always want to try to solve problems with these dangerous crime lords or syndicates on their own instead of relying on the help of these agencies. Foolish!

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2010, 01:15:38 PM »

When I got back from lunch, I began watching CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN 2. It's a very predictable slapstick family comedy. Not much amusing about; almost all the big gags are telegraphed long before they land. Good cast but only a very few moments made me snicker or stuck any kind of emotional chord within me.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »

I listened to the director's commentary. It's Adam Shankman (HAIRSPRAY) who has a very easygoing style and his comments were free wheeling, too. Naturally full of praise for everyone.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2010, 01:18:20 PM »

There were three featurettes as additional bonus items (none very long) and two trailers for the movie. None of the bonuses were in HD, but they put this on a single layer Blu-ray disc, so I wasn't surprised.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2010, 01:19:13 PM »

I do want to watch UGLY BETTY tonight (recorded from last night) and I noticed I had gotten the DVR to record Buster Keaton's COLLEGE which I don't think I've ever seen all the way through. That may be my evening of viewing tonight.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »

There's a a song running through my head....has been for days.

It's Leslie Bricusse's "I Think I Like You" from "Doctor Dolittle" which I saw on the FMC over the holidays.

Nice song....but enough is enough.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2010, 01:26:18 PM »

After running some errands and having breakfast with my friend, Brendan, I headed back up to the Atrium to get in line for the ticket distribution.

The Lincoln Center staff did a great job of trying to make sure that everything ran as smoothly as possible.  Extra security guards were directing people where to go. Staff from the Executive Offices were greeting the First Day ticket buyers, myself included.  And they even had a brass trio providing some fun jazz and Dixieland selections to keep our toes tapping while we waited in line.

Of course, since it is New York City, there were a few complainers and out-and-out crazies in the line.  I got into an interesting "discussion" with one woman who kept bitching about people cutting in front of her.

-Well, if you're number 42, and she's number 35, she should be in front of you.
"But she wasn't here when they called the group."
-It doesn't matter.  That's why Lincoln Center numbered the bracelets.
"Well, it's just not fair. I got here first."
-Actually, no you didn't.  She arrived before you earlier this morning if she has a lower number than you.
"Was I talking to you? I mean, this really isn't how this should be done. And my friend here (point), and this gentleman here (point) also think that people should not be cutting in line of front of us."
-There are plenty of tickets available. You're far enough at the front of the line that you're bound to get a ticket, so just be thankful that Lincoln Center started this program.
"It's just not fair.  I mean I'm not even getting these tickets for myself.  I'm getting them for some friends who are coming in from out of town later."
-Well, that's very nice of you to...
"Don't talk to me like that! Don't patronize me!"

Bitch, bitch, bitch. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

The gentleman in front of me asked me why I kept trying to explain things to her, to calm her down.  I told him I was just trying to make sure that things were being done the way that Lincoln Center meant them to be run.  We ended up having a good laugh about it all.  :) 

This woman might have been the kind of person to whip out a pistol and shoot at anyone trying to correct her.

Be careful.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2010, 01:26:38 PM »

Hee hee hee, DR Jose...

I hope you made it obvious to Ms. #42 that you were Twittering about her...  :D
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2010, 01:28:38 PM »

Well, time to pack up my Charlie Brown Xmas tree and my Jack O'Lantern and head for home...
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up