Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T FORGET  (Read 58208 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:DON'T FORGET
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2004, 03:05:16 PM »

The David McCullough book?  It's amazing how well that sells.  I always found Abigail interesting.

Did you know her well, el?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2004, 03:06:37 PM »

...the chops for a cabaret act???

For singing excerpts from "Karate Kid - The Musical"?

derBrucer (Shari Lewis had the chops for a cabaret act)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2004, 03:07:43 PM »

listening to NPR. They are talking about Symphonia which can replicate an orchestra. The musician union is upset about it, This centers around a show that is opening off-broadway. (David Weinsten's The Joy of Sex) The union says is not an instruments. Others say yes it is. They will picket the opening of the show. Oliver! on tour is using it. There are eight musicians in the pit and the symphonia does the rest.

I thought the Oliver! tour was a non-union tour?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2004, 03:08:33 PM »

The David McCullough book?  It's amazing how well that sells.  I always found Abigail interesting.

Yes.  I don't believe I realized the extent of his contributions before reading the book.  Abigail was amazing.  As in the quote-Behind every good man....  She was incredible.  I'm also more interested in John Quincy now who seemed remarkable at a very young age.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2004, 03:10:45 PM »

Did you know her well, el?

We were ships that passed in the night:  I was composing and she was decomposing.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Robin

« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2004, 03:11:07 PM »

Well come on, Robin.
Tell us what was on that plate!!!!!

I don't remember the name of the dish, but it was essentially Baked Pork Head Cheese.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Michael

« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2004, 03:12:14 PM »

Annie Get Your Gun, Cinderella, Show Boat, Kiss Me Kate, Peter Pan

I am not sure but would Roberta be included: Roberta 1935, Lovely to Look at (1955) and Roberta 1969 TV
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2004, 03:15:55 PM »

We were ships that passed in the night:  I was composing and she was decomposing.

I think the "No Groaning Rule" may have just jumped the shark!

Michael

« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2004, 03:16:02 PM »

For singing excerpts from "Karate Kid - The Musical"?

derBrucer (Shari Lewis had the chops for a cabaret act)

Sorry I am hungry and was thinking of food. Well tonight I find out if Jason Graae, Liz Callaway, Debbie Gravitte and Kaye Ballard all who have a BK connection will be appearing at next year's Broadway Cabaret series.
Never stop dreaming.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2004, 03:22:21 PM »

I will be E & T this evening as well.  I have a date with the Sisters Callaway (as in Liz and Ann Hampton) at Feinstein's at the Cinegrill.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 03:23:05 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2004, 03:24:02 PM »

I will not be at chat this evening I am going to the last concert of my Broadway Cabaret series. Tonight is Tom Wopat. I go with a raised eyebrow. Does he have the chops for a cabaret act???

I am most certainly envious Michael Shayne. I enjoyed Tom Wopat in CHICAGO last month, and I really like his CD. I am not sure what a cabaret act is supposed to be like, but since I am already a fan of his I am sure I would enjoy it.

Whether you enjoy it or not I will be most curious to know what you think of his show!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2004, 03:24:38 PM »

Today's Pogue theatre retrospective is from MARAT/SADE.  I played the Herald.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2004, 03:26:45 PM »

Same again, only even more sinister:

Michael

« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2004, 03:26:47 PM »

I am most certainly envious Michael Shayne. I enjoyed Tom Wopat in CHICAGO last month, and I really like his CD.

Now I need a cold shower. You and Tom in Chicago!!! Couldn't wait till he got to Oregon??? ;D ;D ;D ;D
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2004, 03:27:36 PM »

Jay = the busiest person in LA.  Every night a different venue.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2004, 03:28:08 PM »

And a rehearsal shot, check out the pants.

Michael

« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2004, 03:30:51 PM »

I can't believe how bad this announcer on the local NPR station. And this a woman who has her own classical musical show! She was talking about the opera  Turn-a-dot!
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2004, 03:32:37 PM »

And a rehearsal shot, check out the pants.

Can you say 70s, boys and girls?  DR Charles Pogue, where was this production?  I always loved the score and Richard Peaslee's music in general, but then I got to work with him.  He didn't treat me well, but I still love the MARAT/SADE music.  I wish HarperCollins, who now owns Caedmon Records, would release that complete performance of the Royal Shakespeare production on CD; Marat's nightmare was cut from Peter Brooks' film.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2004, 03:34:07 PM »

I can't believe how bad this announcer on the local NPR station. And this a woman who has her own classical musical show! She was talking about the opera  Turn-a-dot!

Wasn't that the original name of Sunday in the Park With George?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2004, 03:35:29 PM »

Can you imagine the olfactory sensations when tomatoes were introduced to the European explorers?

Which Europen Explorers?

Cortez in South America or some Italian exploring Turkey?

It was the Europeans who intoduced the tomato to North America.

****WARNING - PEDANTRY FOLLOWS****

Wild type tomato species are thought to be native the region of western South America and specifically in the dry coastal desert of Peru.  First historical reference in Europe to the tomato was a yellow fruited type in Italy in 1544, cultivation in Germany in 1553. The Italians may have acquired it from the Turks. The tomato may have first been grown in Spain then taken to Italy where it was called "pomi d'oro" or golden apple, because of its yellow color. The French called it "poma amaris" or apple of love. The American Indians used the name "tomatl."

The tomato was not very popular until the 18th century mainly because of rumors that had labeled it as a poisonous fruit. It is suggested that certain famines during this century forced people to try this plant, because by the middle of the century the tomato was much more popular.

The tomato was introduced into the United States in 1710. By 1779 it was used in catsup in New Orleans. Thomas Jefferson grew tomatoes in Virginia. But as late as 1900 the tomato was still considered poisonous. George Washington Carver was known for standing in front of crowds and eating tomatoes, trying to introduce tomatoes into the diet. The tomato originated in South America due to the wild species found from Ecuador to Chile. This means the tomato traveled from South America to Europe before arriving in the United States. L. esculentum is probably derived from Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium which is indigenous to Peru and Ecuador. L. esculentum var. cerasiforme (cherry tomato) is considered a wild plant in the tropics and subtropics. There is also evidence that tomatoes originated in Mexico. These tomatoes show a great diversity in size and shape and include all color types known which are pink, red, and yellow. The cherry tomato is widely used in Mexico and has many Indiana names. The Nah uatl language of Mexico used the name "tomatl" which has followed the plant through Europe and South America. Mexico would be a logical origin since Cortez conquered Mexico in 1519, tomatoes could have easily found their way to Italy by 1544. There are still arguments as to the origin of the tomato.

(above extracted from UGA web site.

der pedent (hey, it gets the post count up!)

Jay

« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2004, 03:39:05 PM »

Jay = the busiest person in LA.  Every night a different venue.

And this is a bad thing?

Robin

« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2004, 03:39:32 PM »

There's a local Jazz station here in Minneapolis, and I swear that their deejays are parolees in a work-release program.  The other day, the deejay played a tune by Duke ELL-ington, and then one by Rose Marie Clooney.  Truly sad, but they do play great music.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2004, 03:40:23 PM »

Of course it's not a bad thing.  I used to do it quite a bit, but I don't like to anymore.  I don't have the patience for every night out.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2004, 03:41:15 PM »

Today's Pogue theatre retrospective is from MARAT/SADE.  I played the Herald.

And in the background are the remains of the girl-friend before the lovely wife! 8)

Jay

« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2004, 03:41:48 PM »

Of course it's not a bad thing.  I used to do it quite a bit, but I don't like to anymore.  I don't have the patience for every night out.

It's not every night.  Just many nights.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2004, 03:45:20 PM »

Our very own Brent Barrett called - he's in town doing yet another reading of the long aborning Masada.  We shall be supping one night this week.

Jed

« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2004, 03:45:28 PM »

I, too, shall have to miss the lively and sparkling chat this evening.  Will be at what will surely be a very painful rehearsal for the high school Children of Eden for which I am vocal director.  Haven't had any rehearsal in two weeks (due to a choir tour followed by spring break), first time putting some of the songs with orchestra, plus the fact that this group of kids simply aren't very good singers.  I've done everything I can during these rehearsals, but I can only do so much with what I'm given.  First show I've been involved with where I have to keep reminding myself, "I'm getting paid... I'm getting paid..."  Can't be done with it soon enough.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

DERBRUCER

« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2004, 03:45:58 PM »

Same again, only even more sinister:

But for the Sinisterest of all, I give you:

Jennifer

« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2004, 03:49:41 PM »

One thing I refuse to eat is tongue.  My grandmother used to make it all the time for holidays.  But I wouldn't eat it.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2004, 03:51:07 PM »

elmore, the production was done in Spring 73 at the University of Kentucky.  It was my swan song there before I went out to the Globe of the Great Southwest that summer to do Shakespeare.  The director was very strange and uncommunicative, so I basically had to fend  for myself...which was fine.  I usually like to be left alone as an actor until I feel I'm floundering, then I cry "help!".  But this guy didn't give you any guidance at all.  One of those:  "Well, what do you think?"  So I did the thinking and just let him move bodies around on stage."  It seemed to work out okay:

" As for performances, we note two strong characters, a couple more who could be strong with a little more work, and a few cameos - set against a large and competent cast.

" Chuck Pogue as the Herald is far the more superior, though only slightly more than Hugh Duncan as Sade..."
- The Lexington Leader-

(but how can one be far the more superior, though only slightly more...either you're far the more or slightly more...which is it?)

"Chuck Pogue also must be mentioned for his fine portrayal of the rather sinister Herald who serves rather as a master of ceremonies"

--The Lexington Herald--

I "rather" find that a"rather" fine review. I really "rather" do.   How many time is she going to use the word "rather" in one sentence?  You can see these folks weren't exactly Walter Kerr.

And the school paper the Kentucky Kernel:

"It appeared to me the play revolved around "The Herald", the jester with the skull on a stick who seemed to be running the thing.  With his poetic speeches, later used by Sade, he guided the audience through the rough waters of the play.  Chuck Pogue is good in this role."

My jock brother, usually not known for his theatrical insights, had decided that I was actually deSade and deSade was merely another inmate I had chosen to run play me. An interesting interpretation, I thought.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 04:00:04 PM by Charles Pogue »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up