Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BLEARY WEARY EYES  (Read 21637 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: BLEARY WEARY EYES
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2010, 01:12:29 PM »

I began today's viewing by watching BROTHERS & SISTERS while eating lunch. It was an OK episode, but why is this show's idea of drama for a person to make a decision, walk into another room with a spouse or partner who proclaims at that minute the EXACT OPPOSITE of what the person just decided, and rather than the person standing up for their decision then and there, they say nothing and let the decision come bursting out later at the worst possible moment.

I'll swear: they do this EVERY SINGLE WEEK. One week Kitty and Robert, one week Justin and Rebecca, one week Sarah and whatever man she's seeing, one week Kevin and Scotty.

It is REALLY monotonous and such poor, predictable writing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2010, 01:12:41 PM »

Page Five Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2010, 01:15:17 PM »

Then I watched THE BOYS ARE BACK. A domestic drama with a widower adjusting to being an actual parent for the first time. Similar in feel somewhat to KRAMER VS. KRAMER but with an older child becoming part of the mix with the dad and the six year old.

I liked it. I think it's inconsistent in tone (directed by Scott Hicks who directed SHINE), but I liked that they didn't immediately pair the dad (Clive Owen) up with a woman who shows a real interest in him and his young son. It's based on a true story.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2010, 01:17:15 PM »

There were only two bonus features, and one of them was less than two minutes: the two actors in the film meeting the actual boys the story was based on.

There is also a montage of snapshots with commentary by the director which ran about 15 minutes.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2010, 01:18:12 PM »

Next, I skimmed through today's ONE LIFE TO LIVE. Yes, the boys were on both separately and together which made it enjoyable to see. Roxie was a trip as usual.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »

I skimmed through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS, but there was notiing to interest me. However, the boys were in the previews for tomorrow.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »

Thanks to everyone at Haines for yesterday's wishes; you make me feel good all under.  I thought of you opening gifts when I spotted Edisaurus' name on a Johnny Mercer album (!)

I had a lovely day, an open house, where talented singers stopped by, proffered a song or two, and cleared out before the tiny apartment ran out of places to sit; then the next batch arrived.  The big challenge was when we couldn't find the music to I've Been Here Before/It's Never That Easy so I had to play it by ear, in A-flat minor (that's seven flats).  More fun was a major cabaret singer's impromptu rendition of Love Life; she claimed never to have sung it before.

To top off the day, I learned that another song of mine's being done in London.  I've had songs in many a cabaret show there over the past 16 months, and a whole show hit the British boards in November.

Meanwhile, I'm rewriting Such Good Friends - probably the third or fourth new draft since NYMF, and starting on a new show that's a radical departure from everything I've done before (no piano, for one thing).

Howdy, DR Noel!  Long time, no see...

NO PIANO, FOR ONE THING would make a good title...

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2010, 01:20:27 PM »

Next I rewatched the top three men skate their long programs again at Nationals. Each program really did have a lot to like if the other two can just be more consistent. I guess the jumps that they must do not to score all these points are so difficult that it's very hard to put together a clean program each time out.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2010, 01:21:42 PM »

Then I began skimming through last night's Golden Globes to hear the acceptance speeches. I listened to Lithgow, Michael C. Hall, and Meryl Streep (who made me cry) thus far. Drew Barrymore just won for GREY GARDENS so I'll listen to her speech when I go back down.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »

John and I did not do lunch, by the way. We're doing it tomorrow.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »

TOD: I had a Casper the Friendly Ghost doll that I loved for a while, even after I spilled some of the Creepy Crawlers green goo on him.

Casper probably wasn't too friendly after that!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2010, 01:30:25 PM »

I made the big mistake of going out to get a sandwich.  First of all, this is the hardest rainfall we've had in five years.  Second of all, drivers are INSANE in the rain.  Third of all, the streets are a mess, completely flooded.  As I've said many times, there isn't a day that goes by when streets aren't closed and everyone is inconvenienced, but the one thing these oafs who do the work have NEVER done is fix the drainage system in the Valley.  It's outrageous.  Fourth of all, I went to Jerry's Deli.  At NOON.  NOON.  The parking lot was completely full.  I had to wait ten minutes to get seated.  At NOON.  Why?  Well, it's Martin Luther King day and apparently that means that the entire population of Studio City has to go to Jerry's Deli at NOON.  In the pouring rain.  And the bowling alley that's attached to Jerry's was jammed, as well.  Jerry's is not exactly McDonald's, price-wise, so the fact that these families of six people are sitting there stuffing their faces and their checks will be close to $100 - well, it's madness.  The signals are out everywhere in the Valley.  At some point I need to go pick up the big box of boxes that's waiting for me, so I'm hoping the rain abates at some point.  And Cason is coming tomorrow instead of today, and tomorrow's session with the long musical is now pushed to whenever I have time to do it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »

Damn them, damn the all to hell.  I jeans are sopping wet.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2010, 01:38:21 PM »

Stay home MR BK.  At least you had a nice new car to drive in - in the rain.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2010, 01:39:20 PM »

The make-up and photography on THE INVADERS makes everyone look very good.....Susan Strasberg was so beautiful, I almost didn't recognize her....not that she isn't pretty....but she looked beautiful.....as does Roy in all of his EXTREME close ups.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2010, 01:39:28 PM »

Damn them, damn the all to hell.  I jeans are sopping wet.

Sandy says, that's why God invented washers & dryers.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2010, 01:42:18 PM »

Hmmmmmmmm.....hairstyles by Annabell - I remember her credit from Perry Mason.....and makeup by Jack Barron from the old Revue studios.....including The Virginian....so he did know how to make guys look great.

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2010, 01:46:24 PM »

The make-up and photography on THE INVADERS makes everyone look very good.....Susan Strasberg was so beautiful, I almost didn't recognize her....not that she isn't pretty....but she looked beautiful.....as does Roy in all of his EXTREME close ups.

Those eyes - just make me melt!

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2010, 01:47:31 PM »

Now I must hop off-line and write up today's work project. Then I will have the evening free for leisure viewing. Since '24' is two hours again tonight, I won't have as long to watch other things as I normally would on Monday night.

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2010, 01:47:47 PM »

Oh, rats!!

WBBL

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2010, 02:07:16 PM »

DR Matt Hough

I think you are making mistake by not going the see Avatar in a theater. It is not the best film I've ever seen, but it deserves to be seen in 3D and if possible in IMAX. I don't think the film experience can be duplicated by watching it on a TV set.

As a film reviewer who might review the blu-ray/dvd I feel that you should see it so you can compare the experience of watching both film formats. As a consumer I would like to know what the differences are and whether or not I would buy a copy.

Thanks for reading

But it's not my job to review AVATAR as a theatrical experience, only as a home video experience. And where will it stop? Why wouldn't I also go see it in a 2-D theater so I could compare it to the 3-D and later to its home video incarnation.

The fact is I have limited time and limited money. Fox is not sending me a press pass to see the film in a theater (unlike when I reviewed movies for a newspaper where I was entitled to gratis attendance), and if I start that with AVATAR, it wouldn't be fair to the other three hundred DVDs and Blu-rays I review every year that I'm not watching the films in a theater first either. I am not and would not make an exception for AVATAR no matter how spectacular the experience may be in a theater.

Well, this noted contrarian is inclined to agree, mostly, with both of you.

The enjoyment of Avatar is clearly enhanced by a theatre-going experience and the 3D (Throw in a thoroughly engrossed 12 year old on the next seat for added pleasure.)

A DVD reviewer should not allow his considerations of the theatre experience to color his observations of the home-theatre product.

So, I agree that MattH, the DVD reviewer, should not concern himself with seeing Avatar in a theatre; however, MattH, the lover of the magic of cinema, should partake of the thrill of an Avatar 3D ride - and enjoy the ride with lots of fellow travellers.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »

Thanks all for your kind birthday wishes!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »

DR DER BRUCER - From last night:

Thanfully, yes - it is a personal favorite. The dieticians should be pleased with one of my favorite lunches - sardines and avacado on whole wheat bread.

Following in the footsteps of Alton Brown's Sardine-Avocado Sandwich Diet?

You bet!  When that episode aired the other night I made sure Woody paid close attention..."See, I'm NOT crazy!"

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »

DR MB, do any prints of your films survive?  Can we expect a dvd release?

Actually, they were all put onto dvd recently. But the company that did it did a terrible job and the picture is not centered, so a lot of the shots are off kilter...even more so then orignally.

MBarnum

« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2010, 02:45:49 PM »

DR MBARNUM the Greek Gods films you sent me were most entertaining.

I thought you would enjoy that JRand! Thank Elmore for sending it to me in the first place.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2010, 02:48:08 PM »

My apartment is hotter than hell and the radiator is turned off. What has happened is the heating pipes that rn from floor to floor - one in my living space and one in the bathroom - are so hot that the apartment is like a sauna and I cannot stand it. I like keeping the place cool because I do not want another bed bug infestation. The tenant in apartment 2F is looking for a new place because she told me the bed bugs are running wild there. I am not happy today.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2010, 02:48:56 PM »

DR MBARNUM the Greek Gods films you sent me were most entertaining.

I thought you would enjoy that JRand! Thank Elmore for sending it to me in the first place.

I know you know nothing about art but I know what you like.

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »

I wonder how many of the guys in this scene have been interviewed by DR MBarnum?

"Sextette" - A Visit to the Gym

I have interviewed one of them, and I've known a couple of the others.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:57:35 PM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2010, 02:54:20 PM »

DR MBarnum et al - From today's/tomorrow's New York Times...

Bollywood's Rhythms Felt Worldwide

Very nice article, and I hope it shows up in Portland!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »

I jeans

Will those Apple people stop at nothing?   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up