Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AH, SWEET MYSTERY OF LIFE  (Read 39891 times)

Kerry

Re: AH, SWEET MYSTERY OF LIFE
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2010, 07:54:11 PM »

No damage here from the rain, but I have to check my mother's house tomorrow.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2010, 07:54:26 PM »

Well, page 6!
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2010, 07:57:53 PM »

Coates says that she didn't even realize that she had equal billing with Reeves on the series until she saw a broadcast and credits her agent with getting her that.  Neill's credit was combined with the other regulars on the second card.

Neill remembers that oftentimes if a set was not one of the standing ones - it would be put up on the day of filming - the scene would be shot - and the set dismantled to make room for another, usually using some of the same construction materials.  She said more than once, the paint hadn't even dried on the walls before they were on to another scene.  They shot 4 shows in 10 days for one month to make the season of 13 shows.  Who knows when the 13th show was shot - one of those weeks must have really been killer.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2010, 07:58:45 PM »

DR MATTH - although a lot of my Phyllis Coates info - and MUCH more - was included in Gary Grossman's great book SUPERMAN FROM SERIAL TO CEREAL.....the new book FLIGHTS OF FANTASY by Michael J. Hayde is the final word on the SUPERMAN on radio and television.

He also uncovered many stories and filming details.....it is a fascinating book.

Thanks. I will try to get a copy of it. I grew up with the show, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

That's why the new book is so great....it's like discovering the show all over again.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2010, 07:59:44 PM »

That's what you said yesterday.

Kerry

« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2010, 08:00:13 PM »

I was in the parking lot near the Barrett Jackson car auction several times today  (there was a gorgoeus yellow convertible Jaguar from the late 30's or early 40's there).  Of course, I'm thinking of driving through rain and taking Sugar for a walk and mentally running thorough a check list of bills I need to pay and what I need at the grocery store and I hear the auctiuoneer selling cars for $117,000 and more.   I had to quit listening when the bidding for one car was topping $135,000.  I have no idea what the cars were, and the "good" ones will go this weekend, but it was a far cry from me thinking I needed to buy toilet paper and paper towels and soup!  How much soup and toilet paper can I get for $135,000?
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2010, 08:01:32 PM »

That's what you said yesterday.

Well, I'll say it again.  ;)  I didn't have the chance (or maybe the inclination) to go to my mother's house tonight.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2010, 08:03:05 PM »

Coates says that she didn't even realize that she had equal billing with Reeves on the series until she saw a broadcast and credits her agent with getting her that.  Neill's credit was combined with the other regulars on the second card.

Neill remembers that oftentimes if a set was not one of the standing ones - it would be put up on the day of filming - the scene would be shot - and the set dismantled to make room for another, usually using some of the same construction materials.  She said more than once, the paint hadn't even dried on the walls before they were on to another scene.  They shot 4 shows in 10 days for one month to make the season of 13 shows.  Who knows when the 13th show was shot - one of those weeks must have really been killer.

One good thing about that kind of shooting schedule is that it left you plenty of time to look for other work.

I hope the books clear up a discrepancy about the series' end. According to one interview I have on tape with Larson and Neill, they were slated to do another season with Reeves directing a good portion of the shows when his death was reported. (John Hamilton had died and was going to be replaced by Pierre Watkin who was also in the serials and guest starred on several episodes as other characters.) Other sources say the show was canceled and this was part of George's depression that may have led to his death.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Kerry

« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »

DR MATTH - although a lot of my Phyllis Coates info - and MUCH more - was included in Gary Grossman's great book SUPERMAN FROM SERIAL TO CEREAL.....the new book FLIGHTS OF FANTASY by Michael J. Hayde is the final word on the SUPERMAN on radio and television.

He also uncovered many stories and filming details.....it is a fascinating book.

Thanks. I will try to get a copy of it. I grew up with the show, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

That's why the new book is so great....it's like discovering the show all over again.

Does sound like a neat book.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2010, 08:04:35 PM »

Well, I guess I need to head downstairs and go to bed.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »

OY! I am addicted to Cafe World on Facebook. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »

Time to try to get some sleep.  We are now going to get rain and 41 degrees tomorrow.  That will be interesting!

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »

VIBES TO ALL WHO NEED THEM

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2010, 08:47:05 PM »

Zach has been sick all day, so he and I channel surfed and then watched a movie, since Betsy and Gabe went to a Shabbat dinner.  We caught the end of the PROJECT RUNWAY everyone has been commenting on today.  Oy and double oy.  :)

Then we watched CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS.  Colorful and occasionally funny, but way too frenetic.  I may have known this at one time, but I was flabbergasted to see Marvin Hamlisch listed as a co-writer on Lesley Gore's "SUNSHINE AND LOLLIPOPS."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »

Amy's packing up...Amy's moving out...

Amy's talkin' loud.
Amy's doin' fine.
Amy's gettin' hot.
Amy's goin' strong.
Amy's movin' on.
Amy packs alone.
Amy doesn't care.
Amy's lettin' loose.
Amy's got the stuff.
Amy's lettin' go.
Amy?
Amy's got the stuff.
Amy's gotta move.
Amy's gotta go.
Amy? Amy?
Amy's gotta let go.

Amy's chopping scenes
Amy's yelling loud...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »

Actually, I finally got hooked up to the 'net so thanks for the travel vibes. I had a rough cab ride so it took awhile for my tummy to settle enough to have lunch, which was at about 5. While munch on slices of salmon on toast, my best friend called me to tell me she had just found out her younger brother suddenly passed away and she was on her way to Ohio. It was very shocking. I wish I was home so I could drive her up. I wish I could do something for her...

I came back and tried to work but couldn't concentrate so I went to TKTS and got a ticket to South Pacific. Now I will be up very late working but god it was worth it!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »

Finished with my viewing for the evening and am now listening to music - I'll take a nice hot shower in a bit.

FJL

« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2010, 09:15:09 PM »

Welcome to NYC, Amy

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »

SPOILER!

Last night's Project Runway has me STUMPED!  I'm stumped, I tell you.  Stumped.

If anyone in his or her right mind can explain why Peng was allowed to stay and Pamelo was sent packing, then you're a better man (woman) than I am, Charlie Brown.

To borrow another designer's term for it, that "ass flap" should have been the final straw for Peng.

End SPOILER

See, my name is really
Ping!
You must always call me
Ping!
What I answer to is
Ping!
I have trouble when I
Sew!
When you see it, you'll go
"Whoa!--
That's a terrifying
Thing!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2010, 09:33:36 PM »

Furniture nomenclature department:

Maybe one of you in the office world (FJL? Cilla?) can guide me in terms of what a piece of furniture I need might be called.  If we close on this new house, I want to either donate or sell the old (waaaay old) "European" desk my sister gave me from her travels in Germany probably 30 years ago.  This desk has three shallow drawers right under the desktop plus a bunch of cubbyholes, etc.  Anyhoo, we have Betsy's "old" office desk downstairs, which is a beautiful oak modern thing that has only two deep drawers for hanging files, etc., but that's what I will use in my home office.  But that deprives me of all this additional storage space. So I want to buy some sort of thing with drawers and storage spaces that I would say is almost akin to an old desk-secretary or even an office version of a chest of drawers.  Is there a name for such an item?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Edisaurus

« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2010, 09:37:06 PM »

Welcome to NYC, Amy

Thank you, Fred! I thought of your song today while going through security. I'm sure a few people were wondering why I was chuckling.

FJL

« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2010, 09:38:23 PM »

JMK - I am no help on the furniture issue.

Edisaurus

« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2010, 09:38:51 PM »

Finished with my viewing for the evening and am now listening to music - I'll take a nice hot shower in a bit.

Listen to some Cowboy Envy!

Edisaurus

« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »

Big hugs to Elmore!

FJL

« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2010, 09:44:02 PM »

JMK - Ooh, wait, might it be a credenza?

FJL

« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2010, 09:46:29 PM »

Wikipedia on a credenza

Credenza desk
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credenza_desk

A credenza desk
A credenza desk (often simply, credenza) is a modern desk form usually placed next to a wall as a secondary work surface to that of another desk, such as a pedestal desk, in a typical executive office. When used as an active work surface, the credenza desk is often placed against the wall immediately behind or perpendicular to the main desk, but close enough that the user can reach it from the seated position at the main desk by simply swiveling and wheeling his office chair over to it. When its planned use is to be less frequent, such as holding books or files which are not regularly referenced, or to act as an extra surface to help facilitate larger meetings, credenza desks are often placed on a wall in some other location of the office, such as adjacent to a conference table if one is present. Many conference rooms which have meeting tables but not desks will also have a credenza desk against one wall. The credenza desk is sometimes flat, like a pedestal desk, but more often than not it has a stack of shelves, small drawers and other nooks, above its main working surface. The sum of these overhead amenities is usually called a hutch. Hence, the credenza desk is often called a "credenza with hutch".
The credenza desk is often used as a computer desk, thus leaving the possibility of keeping the surface of the main desk completely free, when this is required. An executive desk is often the central artifact for a meeting between several persons. A computer monitor or a printer or even a simple keyboard on the surface can be impediments to the exchange.
The credenza desk is comparable in form to but differs from the armoire desk in that it is seen for the most part in large office buildings (instead of home offices, like the armoire desk) and most of its storage spaces are wide open.
Credenza desks are often, but not always, part of a matching set which can include pieces such as a primary desk, a conference table, a cabinet for a whiteboard, a book-shelf, filing cabinets, chairs, or other items of furniture which are likely to be found in an office environment.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:48:17 PM by FJL »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2010, 09:59:43 PM »

Thanks to all who sent moving vibes.

Tonight I had a nice surprise for my last night here: my favorite neighbor came over for dinner. She's a British woman who, as it happens, worked at the Windmill Theater (MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS) during WWII. She has lots of stories.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »

GET-WELL SOON VIBES  to DAN (the Man), DER BRUCER, and anyone else who needs them.

SLEEP AND COMFORT VIBES to JANE.

SERENITY VIBES to ALL.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2010, 10:05:30 PM »

Ron, the hamsters' union complained that I'm spending too many hours on the Internet. I must give the darling little critters some rest.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »

Jean Simmons passed away.  I'll be writing about my one time working with her - I'll probably get to it in a week or so.  Wonderful woman, and lived to the nice ripe age of 80
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up