Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TUESDAY THE 13th  (Read 49367 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TUESDAY THE 13th
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2004, 09:39:43 AM »

Jay: What are you seeing tonight?  ;D

Did you say hello to those Callaways?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2004, 09:40:41 AM »

Speaking of Those Callaways, I got a nice note from Alex Rybeck - I might try to get down there to see them.  I just really hate that room and hate the service and hate the food.  Otherwise, it's fine.

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2004, 09:49:03 AM »

Jennifer, Re: AI -- I'm actually glad it's moved to tomorrow, because then I can actually watch it!  I am just sick, sick sick that John and Jon are still on there.  Did the rest of the country see the performances I saw?  What is WRONG with people?

DR Joy it is so nice to see you back!

Okay I'm probably the wrong person to answer this since I love John Stevens and Jon Peter Lewis.  But I think much of the reason they are still around is because all of the little girls who watch AI love them.

Yes, I know that they haven't been too good the past couple of weeks.  But I see something in both of them that is different and unique.  And I just feel like they have a lot of potential.

I'm really glad they haven't been voted off yet.  But I really hope that they both do better this week.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2004, 09:50:48 AM »

Jay: What are you seeing tonight?  ;D

Did you say hello to those Callaways?

Believe it or not, Mr. Smarty Pants BK, my calendar is clear for the next two evenings!

And yes, I did.  Liz remembered meeting me in Palm Springs two months ago when she appeared with Mr. Jason Graae.  Ann doesn't know me from Adam, but she was very courteous when I congratulated her on the show.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2004, 09:52:11 AM »

Speaking of Those Callaways, I got a nice note from Alex Rybeck - I might try to get down there to see them.

It would be worth your while.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2004, 09:55:24 AM »

Did you eat?  Was the food better than when I was there for our very own Melissa Errico?  Were the waiters annoying?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2004, 09:57:00 AM »

Now that I think of it, I think The Crucifer of Blood did have nudity, because a school chum of mine understudied Miss Glenn Close and I think she told me that.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2004, 10:01:44 AM »

Now that I think of it, I think The Crucifer of Blood did have nudity, because a school chum of mine understudied Miss Glenn Close and I think she told me that.

My vague memories are that it was of the male variety.  I look to DR Dan the Man to confirm.

Greetings, DB Jay!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2004, 10:02:22 AM »

I always had SUCH enthusiasm teaching Holmes mysteries to my eighth and ninth graders. The last few years, we had "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," and my kids could never figure out why I was so wild about this stuff. I guess there just wasn't enough fast paced action and gory stuff for them. Too intellectual for many of their tastes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2004, 10:02:58 AM »

But you are baiting me with your knowledge of the main "attraction."  Did I possibly block out someone nekkid from my mind?  But wait!  I seem to recall a bit of homo-eroticism in the plot as well.....though it's as foggy to me as the set was in the final act.

When Crucifer first arrived on B'way, the big buzz was that it featured "real lightning" during the storm in Act One.  It turned out to be just one quick flash, lasting hardly more than a second.  I think it was later that same season that Frankenstein opened (and closed) with a labortory scene that was much more impressive.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2004, 10:05:18 AM »

RE: AMERICAN IDOL

I would be shocked beyond description if FOX allowed a Canadian channel to have their feed of the show before it aired in the US.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2004, 10:07:27 AM »

My vague memories are that it was of the male variety.  I look to DR Dan the Man to confirm.

Stuart's first post that mentioned nakedity gave me pause as well.  I'm also recalling some nudity involved, though it wasn't of the Maxwell Caulfield variety.  I'll have to scan through the published script I have at home tonight.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2004, 10:08:20 AM »

Did you eat?  Was the food better than when I was there for our very own Melissa Errico?  Were the waiters annoying?

The Wolfgang Puck empire is now in charge of the kitchens at the Roosevelt Hotel.  A three-course prix-fixe dinner, for which one is charged $25 (in addition to the cover charge which, for the Callaways, is $40) is served.  

First course options include a seared ahi salad, a green salad or soup.  Last night the soup was vegetarian split pea, and that is what I had.  

Main course options include roast chicken, braised lamb shank or salmon.  Last night they had lobster pot pie and vegetarian lasagna available as specials, too.  I had the lamb shank and, though a bit fatty, it was tasty.  (When I saw Miss Patti LuPone at the Cinegrill a few weeks ago, they had the lobster pot pie as a special, too, and that is what I ordered.  It should have been called "The Hunt for Red Lobster," as little of the crustacean was to be found on my plate.)

Dessert choices included a chocolate raspberry torte, ice cream or something else that I am forgetting.  I passed on dessert last night, but when I saw Miss LuPone, I had the torte and it was quite delicious.

Drinks (pricey, as you might suspect), tax and tip are all additional.

Service was pleasant, if a bit brisk.

And--sound system notwithstanding--I happen to like the room.  No one is very far from the artists and the sight lines are good.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 10:18:12 AM by Jay »

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2004, 10:12:02 AM »

RE: AMERICAN IDOL

I would be shocked beyond description if FOX allowed a Canadian channel to have their feed of the show before it aired in the US.

Well, because it's live I'm sure they won't.  But if it was just a regular drama, they might show it here.

Also sometimes if it's a last minute decision, the feed has already been sent.

The bad part for the Canadian channel is that they already have shows scheduled for wed and thurs.  So I'm not sure what they can do.

Jay

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2004, 10:13:35 AM »

Greetings, DB Jay!

Back at you, DB/DR Stuart!

Jay

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2004, 10:22:10 AM »

Regarding the topic o' the day:

Certainly the greatest mystery I've ever encountered is that Cats ran as long as it did on Broadway.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2004, 10:33:55 AM »

Certainly the greatest mystery I've ever encountered is that Cats ran as long as it did on Broadway.

Ahhhh, dear brother, think what you (or I ) might of the show itself, it paid my rent, basically, for about 10 years.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2004, 10:35:50 AM »

Thanks for the food report, Jay.  Definitely different selections than the slop I was offered.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2004, 10:44:12 AM »

It still embarrasses me that it was my first Broadway show.  How to live that down?  Maybe I should lie from now on and say it was "Crazy For You."  That was my second show, albeit it was the touring company.

WB, Joy!  We've missed you!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2004, 11:01:15 AM »

CATS was not a Broadway show.  It was a tourist attraction in a Broadway theatre.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2004, 11:08:51 AM »

Ahhhh, dear brother, think what you (or I ) might of the show itself, it paid my rent, basically, for about 10 years.

Okay, if curiosity killed the cat -- I'm curious. What was your connection to CATS, DR Stuart, brother of DR Jay?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2004, 11:26:52 AM »

...doesn't this weather just blow!...Feh!  This weather makes me feel like a moody teen-ager!
Proof that it pays to re-read things: the first time through, I thought you had written "like a moldy teen-ager"!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2004, 11:28:16 AM »

I don't think I have one favorite mystery. There are certain mystery writers I love... Christie, of course, Arthur Conan Doyle, Margaret Millar, Ruth Rendell, Simon Brett (the Charles Paris mysteries). Must remember the father of the mystery - Wilkie Collins THE MOONSTONE.

Movies - SLEUTH, MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, AND THEN THERE WERE NONE, CHINATOWN, WAIT UNTIL DARK, THE MALTESE FALCON, etc...

More later perhaps. A quick story and back to work... When I belonged to Crime Writers of Canada, we once held a murder mystery night at some restaurant. We, the members, were the suspects and it was up to the paying public to find out whodunnit. One of the member/players was the eccentric writer Joseph Skvorecky (nominated for the Nobel Prize) who got bored of the whole thing and just up and left in the middle. Naturally, as he had a suspicious Eastern European accent and disappeared, everyone thought he was the killer and was hiding. Almost ruined the evening.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2004, 11:28:46 AM »

Okay, if curiosity killed the cat -- I'm curious. What was your connection to CATS, DR Stuart, brother of DR Jay?

For many years, DR Panni, I was with Columbia Artists Theatricals (a division of Columbia Artists Management Inc., aka CAMI), the booking agent for the road company of CATS.  At over 11 years, CATS #4, the bus&truck ---NOT the tour that is out there currently, which is non-union -- was at one time, the longest continuously running road company since the last OKLAHOMA! tour closed in the early fifties.  I believe that the record has now been overtaken by the LES MIS company that is still touring, but could be mistaken.

At the time we started the CATS tour, CAT (ironic, eh?) was strictly a booking agent for the tours.  During my time there, we began producing, including the CAROUSEL tour in the mid-90s, STOMP, and many others.

Had it not been for the income from CATS, the Theatricals arm of Columbia Artists would not have been strong enough to warrant entering into production.

And that is how those little jellicle cats paid my rent.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2004, 11:29:22 AM »

...So I'm back at a temp job where I have nothing to do (at the moment) and nobody staring over my shoulder, so I actually have time to post!  Whooopeeee!!!  Hi, Everyone!
Welcome back, Joy!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2004, 11:31:27 AM »

Proof that it pays to re-read things: the first time through, I thought you had written "like a moldy teen-ager"!

Well, since I am 45, that would make me a pretty moldy teen-ager.

"Hey!  Duuuuuuude!  Sup?"
-- Anaïs Nin

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2004, 11:31:43 AM »

Thanks for the welcomes, all!  

Jennifer, what you said does not explain why those two deadbeats are so popular.  The redheaded one is constantly flat and has NO vocal or physical inflection when he sings.  Monotonous.  The other one is as awkward as Glenn Close at a Patti LuPone opening and the best that can be said for his voice is "mildly soothing."  Root for them if you must, but why, when there are so much more talented people on the show?  How about that amazing diva who sang "Circle of Life" like she meant it?  That's what I require of the American Idol:  that they mean what they sing and that they sing like they mean it.

Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2004, 11:35:40 AM »

I would appreciate any good vibes you all have to send my way, as I am awaiting word from the producers of the Asian tour of 42nd Street, for which I had my final callback on Friday.  Thank you!
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jay

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2004, 11:47:40 AM »

Good vibes and excellent xylophones to you, Dear Reader Joy!

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2004, 11:58:48 AM »

Thanks for the welcomes, all!  

Jennifer, what you said does not explain why those two deadbeats are so popular.  The redheaded one is constantly flat and has NO vocal or physical inflection when he sings.  Monotonous.  The other one is as awkward as Glenn Close at a Patti LuPone opening and the best that can be said for his voice is "mildly soothing."  Root for them if you must, but why, when there are so much more talented people on the show?  How about that amazing diva who sang "Circle of Life" like she meant it?  That's what I require of the American Idol:  that they mean what they sing and that they sing like they mean it.

DR Joy another thing you must remember is that most people watching AI, don't have your level of musical expertise.

But I still maintain that most of the voters are teenage girls who think Jon and John are "cute". So they vote for them.

Oh I totally agree about Jennifer Hudson.  She gave my favorite performance last week.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up