Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TUESDAY THE 13th  (Read 47951 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:TUESDAY THE 13th
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2004, 12:04:35 PM »

Fiction-wise, all I can contribute is being a fan of Encyclopaedia Brown.  And wait....there was this series of books...all set in P-town...they all had titles that were colors.....COBALT was one.  SCARLET was another  (Or was it Vermillion? (And was he Castilian?  Was he named Lillian? ...I digress.....)) At any rate, it featured a gay private dick - no comments, please - and I want to say the author's name was Alldyne, or something.  I am sure they were ghost written by someone, but that is the name i seem to remember.  They were fun.
I remember these books quite well; we've got them somewhere downstairs, still in a box.  (We've got more books than bookshelves, it seems!)

Nathan Aldyne was a collaborative pseudonym for two writers, Michael McDowell and Dennis Schuetz.  (With a last name like that, I can understand Dennis taking a pseudonym!)  The series of books starred hunky gay detective/bartender, Daniel Valentine, and his best friend/fag hag, Clarisse Lovelace.  They bantered much like Nick and Nora, but didn't sleep together.  Although the Provencetown setting is what people remember, only the second of the books took place there; the others took place in Boston.

Published between 1980 and 1986, the four titles were Vermillion, Cobalt, Slate, and Canary.  From what I understand, the death of one of the writing partners is what led to the end of the books.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2004, 12:05:26 PM »

More later perhaps. A quick story and back to work... When I belonged to Crime Writers of Canada, we once held a murder mystery night at some restaurant. We, the members, were the suspects and it was up to the paying public to find out whodunnit. One of the member/players was the eccentric writer Joseph Skvorecky (nominated for the Nobel Prize) who got bored of the whole thing and just up and left in the middle. Naturally, as he had a suspicious Eastern European accent and disappeared, everyone thought he was the killer and was hiding. Almost ruined the evening.

When I was in a production of Death on the Nile (or was it Murder on the Nile?)  I wanted the the role of the sleuth (not Poirot but a Reverend Cannonfeather or something like that.)  Instead, I was cast as the German doctor character.  Being rather small and petty, I went out of my way to make damn sure that the audience would suspect me of the murder in the play.  I did whatever I could get away with--abruptly changing my character's nature from remote and stiff before the murder to pleasant and outgoing after, "inconspicuously" crumpling up bits of paper and pocketing small, incidental set props, and being perhaps a little too knowing when my character theorizes on how the murder might have been commited.  And this all worked--everyone who came up to me after the play told me that they thought I was the murderer.  But at some point, some of the other cast members caught on to what I was doing and they also started anteing the suspicious behavior.  Every night we were trying to out-do each other in vieing for the role of chief suspect.  By the time the play had ended its run I think we managed to change this quaint murder mystery into a disturbing gothic psycodrama.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2004, 12:06:49 PM »

Third page dance!!!

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]           ;D[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]      8) 8) 8)[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2004, 12:16:00 PM »

I remember these books quite well; we've got them somewhere downstairs, still in a box.  (We've got more books than bookshelves, it seems!)

Nathan Aldyne was a collaborative pseudonym for two writers, Michael McDowell and Dennis Schuetz.  (With a last name like that, I can understand Dennis taking a pseudonym!)  The series of books starred hunky gay detective/bartender, Daniel Valentine, and his best friend/fag hag, Clarisse Lovelace.  They bantered much like Nick and Nora, but didn't sleep together.  Although the Provencetown setting is what people remember, only the second of the books took place there; the others took place in Boston.

Published between 1980 and 1986, the four titles were Vermillion, Cobalt, Slate, and Canary.  From what I understand, the death of one of the writing partners is what led to the end of the books.

I knew SOMEONE here would know these!

But are you sure P-town didn't figure in at least two of them?  I seem to remember creating my own little walking tour based on the ones I was reading during summers I was up there, and I know I was in P-town more than once (OK, WAY more than once!), and saved those books for those vacations.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2004, 12:16:06 PM »

DRCP - if your shirt was made of polyester, it was a NIKNIK shirt.  

Mysteries....mmmmmmmmmm.  Several of my favorites have already been mentioned, of course:

SLEUTH
DEATHTRAP
film and play

NORTH BY NORTHWEST for movies....although it was a hard choice.

And for books....Ellery Queen is my favorite detective, with Mr Holmes a close second, very close.

But LADY by Tom Tryon was a thriller that got to me....as did Mr Ira Levin's novel A KISS BEFORE DYING.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2004, 12:16:09 PM »

DR Joy another thing you must remember is that most people watching AI, don't have your level of musical expertise.

But I still maintain that most of the voters are teenage girls who think Jon and John are "cute". So they vote for them.

Oh I totally agree about Jennifer Hudson.  She gave my favorite performance last week.
That's true, it's probably all about the cute boy factor.  Which would explain Justin Guarini.  Hopefully they'll wise up.  Those guys need to go.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2004, 12:17:29 PM »

Good vibes for DR Joy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2004, 12:19:03 PM »

Well, I knew DR MBarnum would beat me to the punch on PENGUIN POOL MURDER; I liked the original book, which was reprinted in the 1980s, as well.

Everyone's offered good choices, so I don't have much to add.  As a Ruth Rendell fan, I'll mention two foreign films made from her books I liked a lot:
LA CEREMONIE (Chabrol)
LIVE FLESH (Almodovar)

Another great foreign film is DIABOLIQUE.  Did anyone else mention it and I missed it?

I like Wilkie Collins as well, DR Panni, but I prefer the madness of THE WOMAN IN WHITE.  LeFanu's UNCLE SILAS is good and creepy as well.

When I was 12, we made a trek from Cincinnati to Tuscon over Christmas holiday to visit relatives.  My cousin had the entire set of Nancy Drews, which I started reading out of boredom.  I had several faves, but I can only think of "The Leaning Chimney" now.  MICKEY MOUSE CLUB had the Hardy Boys and I loved Joe and Frank (?) in the  "Tower Treasure."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2004, 12:19:07 PM »

My favorite mystery play technically isn't a mystery, although there are mysteries enough at it's heart.  The play is Tom Stoppard's Arcadia, which is both a literary romp and a touching tragedy.  Bouncing as it does between an English country manor in the circa 1810 and the same house of today, I find the antics of the scholarly detectives of the present in uncovering the antics of the residents of the past exactly like those of our most stylish detectives.  And everything does get unravelled correctly by the play's end.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2004, 12:22:23 PM »

I knew SOMEONE here would know these!

But are you sure P-town didn't figure in at least two of them?  I seem to remember creating my own little walking tour based on the ones I was reading during summers I was up there, and I know I was in P-town more than once (OK, WAY more than once!), and saved those books for those vacations.....
Yes, DR Stuart, I am quite sure.  Sorry.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2004, 12:34:08 PM »

Re The Last of Sheila:

I saw the film the first time when it was released, and still have the novelization based on the script somewhere (another of those boxes).  Der Brucer had not seen it, however, when I was able to locate a VHS copy.

So, a game was played.  I let him watch the film up to a certain point, specifically to where Richard Benjamin is wandering the docks alone.  At that point, I stopped the tape and told der Brucer to solve the mystery, that everything he needed had been given him during the film.

It took him a couple of days to recall all the bits and pieces.  Yes, I let him watch the film again up to that point.  And no, he did not cheat.  But solve the puzzle he did!

Are the characters archly written, and less than lovely?  Well, yeah.  But get over it!  The mystery itself is wonderfully crafted, and all the pieces fit.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2004, 12:35:18 PM »

I would appreciate any good vibes you all have to send my way, as I am awaiting word from the producers of the Asian tour of 42nd Street, for which I had my final callback on Friday.  Thank you!

Hi, Joy!  It's nice to finally meet the other half of the team!  And I have to say that you seem to not at all be the "old ball-and-chain" that Noel so often complains about here and on ratm.  What's wrong with that guy?

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD NEWS FROM THE PRODUCERS VIBES FOR JOY[/move]

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2004, 01:01:07 PM »

Thanks for answering the CATS question, DR Stuart.

And major GOOD VIBES to Joy!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2004, 01:06:12 PM »

Get over my opinion, der Brucer?  Sorry, can't.  That's what makes the world go 'round.  Well, that and love.

Speaking of mysteries, I can barely believe it, but I alluded to the fact that today could be an interesting day and it has proven to be so.  I just wrote the last page of what I hope will be my new book.  I don't have a clew as to how this happened so quickly - I began it a mere ten weeks ago.  I have no idea if it's good or bad at this point, and I do need to go back and add some stuff I have notes on, that I didn't want to add until I'd finished.  So, for the next two weeks I'll be slowly and methodically going through it and seeing what's what.  But I'm happy I actually completed it and I do know parts of it are fine.  Whether it all holds up and/or works remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 01:07:19 PM by bk »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2004, 01:11:26 PM »

Our local community theater did MURDER ON THE NILE over a decade ago, and I remembered the character of Canon Pennyfeather. It's funny because Christie used that character in a Miss Marple novel AT BERTRAM'S HOTEL, and he was anything but sharp enough to solve a crime. I can't remember now if the murderer in MURDER ON THE NILE is the same as in DEATH ON THE NILE.

Amazing to me how Christie adapted APPOINTMENT BY DEATH for the stage and using the same murder and most of the same characters from the novel ended up with two different solutions with two different murderers in book and play.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2004, 01:13:26 PM »

The only reason I mentioned CRUCIFER OF BLOOD is because it was my swansong as an actor.  I was cast in the LA version which starred Charlton Heston as Holmes and Jeremy Brett as Watson (and he was just as brilliant as Watson as he was Holmes).  I was told I was the first actor to break the open call at the Ahmanson and be cast through an open Equity cattle call.  That was largely, thanks to Paul Giovanni, the author and director of the play, who told me, "Of the three hundred people you see at an open call and of the eighty you cal back, maybe only a dozen or so have any real talent and I want you to know you're one of those and I'm going to do everything I can to get you in this show."  True to his word, he did.  I played Mordecai Smith who has a lovely scene with Holmes and Watson at the end of the play and I understudied several other roles.  Though we had a loinclothed Andman Islander on stage at one point, there was no nudity that I recall in the production.  But there was damned effective lightning through the auspices of Bran Ferren, I believe his name was, special effects genius and John Hersey, the lighting director...both big names, I believe, in technical theatre.  

After this auspicious LA debut, I started making too much money as a screenwriter and acting took a back seat, though I've never officially retired.

Paul Giovanni is the one to whom Peter Shaffer dedicated EQUUS...His other Shaffer connection...He composed the music for THE WICKER MAN (another good mystery) and can be seen in several shots playing and singing the songs in the movie.  I believe Paul passed away of AIDS.

And speaking of Shaffer, isn't MURDERER the play that opens with someone dismembering a body onstage? I've always wanted to see the play staged.

Has anyone read any of the Shaffer brothers mystery collaborations under the name of Peter Antony?  I have one How Doth The Little Crocodile which I remember as entertaining...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2004, 01:17:10 PM »

Does everyone recall what Crucifer of Blood touted as it's top attraction?

Well, of course, I know the main attraction of the original Broadway production of Crucifer of Blood............ my college roommate, making his Broadway debut as The Policeman.

One note regarding Sleuth:  It is one of my favorite plays of all time and a show that I have done four different times.  However, Anthony Shaffer was quite adamant that Sleuth not be called a mystery or a thriller, but instead he referred to it as "A Play."  The reason, according to Mr. Shaffer, is that there is no mystery involved in the play, except for the audience.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2004, 01:20:31 PM »

S. Woody White, I think ARCADIA is perhaps one of the best plays written in the last dozen years.  Though it could only tenuously be considered a mystery, it is a great, great play and helps put the lie to that old chestnust that Tom Stoppard is cold and facile, intellectual but not emotional. It is an incredibly moving play.  I was fortunate to catch the original National Theatre Production when it transferred to the Haymarket (my favourite West End theatre) with most of the original cast intact.  I also saw a great production at the Taper.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2004, 01:25:54 PM »

How about that amazing diva who sang "Circle of Life" like she meant it?  That's what I require of the American Idol:  that they mean what they sing and that they sing like they mean it.

Yes, Jennifer was in good voice that night.  It's a pity I could barely make out more than half the words she was supposed to be singing.

Enunciation should count for something, too!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2004, 01:30:23 PM »

Several years ago, the surviving writer said he would write again and was looking for a writing partner to continue the series.

I believe, though, that he has also died since then.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2004, 01:35:42 PM »

My goodness, not a word of congratulations?  Very unlike my Hainsies/Kimlets.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2004, 01:40:06 PM »

Speaking of mysteries, I can barely believe it, but I alluded to the fact that today could be an interesting day and it has proven to be so.  I just wrote the last page of what I hope will be my new book.  I don't have a clew as to how this happened so quickly - I began it a mere ten weeks ago.  I have no idea if it's good or bad at this point, and I do need to go back and add some stuff I have notes on, that I didn't want to add until I'd finished.  So, for the next two weeks I'll be slowly and methodically going through it and seeing what's what.  But I'm happy I actually completed it and I do know parts of it are fine.  Whether it all holds up and/or works remains to be seen.

Dear Friend BK, many congrats!  I look forward to owning and reading it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2004, 01:41:37 PM »

Get over my opinion, der Brucer?  Sorry, can't.  That's what makes the world go 'round.  Well, that and love.

According to the Red Queen, it's everybody minding their own business!

Robin

« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2004, 01:45:13 PM »

Well, I think congratulations are in order!  

I'd do some fancy-schmancy CONGRATULATIONS thing, but all the various controls here are too intimidating for little ol' me.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2004, 01:46:33 PM »

According to the Red Queen, it's everybody minding their own business!

Something I have a hard time doing!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2004, 01:46:37 PM »

And speaking of Shaffer, isn't MURDERER the play that opens with someone dismembering a body onstage? I've always wanted to see the play staged.

Yes, it does.

And it sounds like another pair of tickets for the production at SUNY Brockport!  DR Pogue, would you like to attend the same night as DR Dan the Man?  Group rates are available, after all.

Three cheers, Three musketeers, and Three Andrews Sisters to BK for completing his latest tome!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2004, 01:46:44 PM »

As soon as I finish reading a BK book, he finishes writing another.  How will I ever keep up?  I enjoyed the first one very much, by the way.  Amazing the differences a few blocks and a few years can make (with my own childhood).

Dan's kidding, honey: I never once referred to you as the ball and chain.

Once, I was looking through my old playbills, and, upon seeing the main page of The Crucifer of Blood, my body trembled with fear.  There, in big letters, at the top of the page, it said...
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2004, 01:47:34 PM »

Claus Von Bulow presents
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2004, 01:50:12 PM »

Congratulations on finishing the first draft of your book in ten weeks, bk. Astonishing! :o
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 01:54:49 PM by Panni »

Robin

« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2004, 01:54:56 PM »

By the way, as to the Topic of the Day:

My favorite mystery novel ever is an Ellery Queen novel entitled The Player on the Other Side.  Essentially, it deals with a nemesis that was Ellery Queen gone bad; everything that had happened to Queen happened exactly the opposite way to this guy.  

And as it turned out, I only recently discovered that this EQ novel was ghost-written by one of my favorite science-fiction writers, Theodore Sturgeon.  No wonder I liked it so much, eh?

But very few writers have given me as much pure pleasure as Agatha Christie, and my very favorite of her novels is The ABC Murders.

Like DR Charles Pogue, I'm also a fan of Stuart Kaminsky's Toby Peters series, which is a blessing to anyone who's a fan of movies in the forties.  And in the novel You Bet Your Life, guest-starring The Marx Brothers, Kaminsky gives the one of best "unmasking of the murderer" scenes I've ever read.  My favorite of the series is Catch a Falling Clown, which guest starred Emmett Kelly, and features the lead character hiding out from the police dressed as a clown.  (You'd never catch Philip Marlowe in that get up, no siree!)
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up