Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AS BRIEF AS A STRING BIKINI  (Read 40433 times)

Ginny

Re: AS BRIEF AS A STRING BIKINI
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2010, 07:08:38 PM »

Well, now we know that experience as a pet nanny doesn't get you crowned Miss America.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »

I loved seeing her parents' reaction to their daughter being crowned

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2010, 07:11:11 PM »

Well, now we know that experience as a pet nanny doesn't get you crowned Miss America.

:D

Cillaliz

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2010, 07:12:56 PM »

I just learned that Jerry Mathers was born in Sioux City. They announced we'll be the starting city for the Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) and the called Sioux City the birth place of Beaver and Gopher.   It took me a while to figure that out.  I knew Fred Grandy was from Sioux City, but didn't know about Jerry Mathers.  Well, I learned something today.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2010, 07:13:27 PM »

The Miss America Pageant used to be one of the mainstays of most American households. Along with the Super Bowl and the Oscars, it was among the largest viewing audiences of the year. And now it's on a cable channel with almost no publicity, the local and state pageants which used to be so big and were broadcast statewide are no longer broadcast at all.

Time really does not stand still, and sometimes it's hard to get used to.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2010, 07:15:12 PM »

The Miss America Pageant used to be one of the mainstays of most American households. Along with the Super Bowl and the Oscars, it was among the largest viewing audiences of the year. And now it's on a cable channel with almost no publicity, the local and state pageants which used to be so big and were broadcast statewide are no longer broadcast at all.

It was a big deal in our house growing up.  I think my mom kept notes...but then again, she keeps notes for Dancing with the Stars ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2010, 07:16:29 PM »

I have watched a total of seven BARNABY JONES episodes today, more than halfway through the series' first season. Nice to see them mix it up occasionally. In one episode, it didn't start out with a murder at all but by duping Barnaby into smuggling heroin out of Mexico. In another, a person Barnaby was instrumental in getting convicted to prison finally got out and made a vendetta against him, so the whole episode was the ex-con stalking Barnaby and his daughter-in-law.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2010, 07:18:06 PM »

As for the guest stars, they're a line-up of the stars who made the rounds on all of the CBS cop shows of the era: Janice Rule, Gary Lockwood, Eric Braeden, Sharon Acker, Richard Hatch, Lloyd Bochner, Jack Cassidy, Anne Francis, Cathy Lee Crosby.

Even Estelle Winwood turned up in the last episode I watched tonight!

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »

It was a big deal in our house growing up.  I think my mom kept notes...but then again, she keeps notes for Dancing with the Stars ;)

Kept notes! Scored along with the judges on ballots in the newspaper/TV GUIDE. My mom and I watched it faithfully every year, and I would come home from college on the weekend it was airing so we could watch it together. (It used to be in September). We'd comment on the gowns, on the legs of the girls in swimsuits, on the talent, etc.

And I knew every Miss America's name from 1945's Bess Myerson all the way through the most recent winners. It was a BIG deal at our house.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2010, 07:23:42 PM »

I don't think I've seen a Miss America contest since the 1980s. Maybe I did see the last one telecast on network TV since I remember they asked trivia questions of the five finalists in place of the question where they had to talk off the tops of their heads, and one poor girl didn't get a single one right, and they were basic information like the author of TOM SAWYER or the distance of the sun from the Earth, and they were multiple choice questions!

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2010, 07:26:01 PM »

Wasn't able to get as many BARNABY JONES episodes watched as quickly as I was able to get DYNASTY watched. Ten years later also cut out 6 minutes of running time from the length of each episode. These JONES episodes run 50-51 minutes each.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »

DR Cillaliz - that was Miss District of Columbia singing "O Mio Bambino Caro."

It's "O mio babbino caro," which means my dear daddy, not "bambino," which means baby, DR Ginny!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »

It's "O mio babbino caro," which means my dear daddy, not "bambino," which means baby, DR Ginny!

:D

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2010, 07:31:19 PM »

Kept notes! Scored along with the judges on ballots in the newspaper/TV GUIDE. My mom and I watched it faithfully every year, and I would come home from college on the weekend it was airing so we could watch it together. (It used to be in September). We'd comment on the gowns, on the legs of the girls in swimsuits, on the talent, etc.

And I knew every Miss America's name from 1945's Bess Myerson all the way through the most recent winners. It was a BIG deal at our house.

:D  I remember the ballots, maybe that's what she was doing. Now that you mention it, we used to all pick our top 10 and the 5 and then see who was right. Still not as big a deal as your house but an event nonetheless

td

• td
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »

I am caught up in the CHEESiness that is GHOST ADVENTURES.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2010, 07:41:43 PM »

Oops!  She still had a fantastic voice and didn't make the cut.  Nor did the other opera singer.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2010, 07:42:27 PM »

:D  I remember the ballots, maybe that's what she was doing. Now that you mention it, we used to all pick our top 10 and the 5 and then see who was right. Still not as big a deal as your house but an event nonetheless

I also remember how disappointed we'd be if our Miss America state winner wasn't in the top ten. Miss SC often was in the top ten group, but when she wasn't, it was a big letdown. We'd still watch, of course, and choose our own favorites from those who were in the top ten, but it was never quite as thrilling.

And if your state got into the top five, well, we were basket cases!

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »

Well, now that I've traveled back through memory lane, I need to get off-line and do some writing.

Good night, all!

Cillaliz

« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2010, 07:45:47 PM »

Oops!  She still had a fantastic voice and didn't make the cut.  Nor did the other opera singer.

I thought they both got robbed!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »

Of course I only saw the talent competition and didn't see all that

MBarnum

« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2010, 07:51:49 PM »

How nice Cillaliz, and I do really like that painting!

Cillaliz

« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »

Thanks MBarnum!  I'm still amazed and so thankful for my friend's generosity. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:59:53 PM by Cillaliz »

Ginny

« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2010, 08:12:16 PM »

Back to UP IN THE AIR:  We ran into, and sat behind, a long-time friend and her husband.  He's retired now, but for years ran an outplacement company in Cincinnati.  I'd love to have talked to him afterwards, but they left before the credits were finished (we always watch them all the way through).  I'll see Deborah next weekend and will have to ask her what he thought.

Ginny

« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2010, 08:14:06 PM »

Well, my first day back among the living (more or less) has been fun, but I'm pretty tired.  I'm glad to have a doctor's appointment Monday, because I'm not thrilled with the fatigue or with the cough I've developed.  In the meantime - 'night!

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »

So is outplacement the same as firing?

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »

I should head to bed. I'm tired and I have to clean the whole house tomorrow so I'm ready for my guests on Tuesday night. I've been home so much that it really isn't too bad. 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2010, 08:26:46 PM »

Here's the office door. It's all vinyl. I think they did a great job with it

That's a great door, Cilla! 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2010, 08:52:10 PM »

I was reminded in a conversation with the DP this eve that I didn't sleep well last night.  In one of my dreams, it was the first rehearsal for Rent and I was bored at rehearsal and I was reading bk's notes of the day.  I remember reading that one of the activities that bk had done the day before was recording the voice of the "Ant" in "The Empire of the Ants" for Disney's California Adventure's new night time show "World of Color" and how he had a great time recording the voice.  I then proceeded to leave rehearsal and leave my backpack with my computer in it on the bus (?!?!) 

I hate dreams like that.... 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2010, 09:11:23 PM »

i needed to get my shoes laces tied quickly & keith wasn't around.  i did the left one without a problem & then tied the right one.  just as i was finishing i yelled ouch very loudly.  it still hurts.  sigh, guess i won't be tying my own laces for awhile longer.

Jane, how about some Gucci Velcro shoes?  They're stylish and functional. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2010, 09:29:08 PM »

Here's the office door. It's all vinyl. I think they did a great job with it

That's a great door, Cilla! 

Thanks DR George!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up