Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A WAND'RING MINSTREL I  (Read 15781 times)

Jennifer

Re: A WAND'RING MINSTREL I
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 06:42:59 AM »

As for the men's figure skating last night
(i'll leave space in case anyone does not know the results and does not want to know)

It was interesting. But boy did it finish late. I wish they hadn't let it go past midnight.  There were definitely a lot of interesting turn of events.  First off i felt so bad for the japanese charlie chaplin whose skate laces came off. I really liked him.  I absolutely loved the canadian Patrick Chan. I would have loved to see his score if he had not had that one fall. I thought his program was my favorite choreography. I was surprised by his high score. But i guess they judge totally differently now. I also felt bad for the other japanese guy who fell. He didn't end up socring that high in the long but overall he still got 3rd. I really liked how he skated and how he came back after falling right off.  I will say that i'm not that familiar with johnny weir. And i find his petite frame and backwards jumping slightly distracting. But he did so well. It was impressive. I did not at all care for Plushenko. Usually he is so confident and great at his jumps. But lat night he stumbled. And i did not like his perfomance at all.  As for evan, i thought he defnitely was the best and deserved to win. But i will say i find him to be quite big and lanky and doesn't really excite me. But he skated his program flawlessly. He was the only one i saw who landed every jump effortlessly. la la la lala lal al
one two three four one two three four and then one two and then three four and then five six one two and then
then and only win the toe the win then back and forth and then how come they said that one two three four and

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 06:43:58 AM »

I've been reading everyone's comments about the olympics and national pride.  Maybe it's slightly different in canada. But we don't have athletes like lindsey vonn who are promotional machines.  And here it IS a matter of national pride, and not only because the olympics are in canada.  Maybe when a country is used to winning so many medals it is not as exciting.  But here we can always count them on our hand and remember who won each one.  Yesterday it was thrilling to see the top female long track speed skater actually win in her event (1000m). I'm glad I saw it.

DR Jennifer - I think there's also the "Fair Weather Fan" Factor to consider - or, at least in this case, more like the "Home Team Advantage" Factor.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 06:45:07 AM »

First day off in about three weeks. I think I may just go back to bed and sleep for awhile.  

But first, TOD:

DVD: Every Little Step

CD -- A Class Act (the movie has made me want to hear more Ed K.)

Car CD: Bright Lights, Big City (somehow the anger fits the vibe of being stuck in traffic).

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 06:48:12 AM »

First day off in about three weeks. I think I may just go back to bed and sleep for awhile.  

NIKE! -Just Do It!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 06:50:45 AM »

DR Jennifer, the long and the short of it is that not everyone is interested in sports. It has nothing to do with national pride. These are athletic contests, and some people couldn't be less interested.

And it's no different than any other contest be it Miss Universe or The Oscars or the Nobel Prizes or any other competition that pits contestants from around the world against one another. Some people are just not into it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Laura

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 06:52:59 AM »

I used to enjoy the Olympics. I would turn on the tv out of habit and end up watching a sporting event I never would have watched otherwise.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2010, 06:53:03 AM »

DR Jennifer, the long and the short of it is that not everyone is interested in sports. It has nothing to do with national pride. These are athletic contests, and some people couldn't be less interested.

And it's no different than any other contest be it Miss Universe or The Oscars or the Nobel Prizes or any other competition that pits contestants from around the world against one another. Some people are just not into it.

That's your opinion. I totally disagree. I don't think you have to love sports to love the olympics.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 06:53:15 AM »

Now I think I'll head downstairs and get ready to do my usual Friday errands. I might be able to squeeze in some skating viewing before I head out. We'll see what kind of time I'm looking at.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 06:54:31 AM »

That's your opinion. I totally disagree. I don't think you have to love sports to love the olympics.

Yep, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2010, 06:54:45 AM »

SO,

WBBL.

td

• td
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 07:08:33 AM »

I am awake.  Very little discomfort.  Very little.  Dixie and I have had a walk, she's full of piss and vinegar this morning - she jumped up onto Mum's bed, she jumped up onto my bed while I was putting my pants on for the walk AND she jumped major snow heaps to get to places she wanted to go in the yard and driveway.  Maybe tomorrow, I'll take her for one of the long walks at the shopping center or the drainage authority.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2010, 07:13:33 AM »

DR td - I hope you and Dixie Bell have a nice restful and recuperative day at home today.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2010, 07:14:10 AM »

And since I have to be downtown in less than an hour...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2010, 07:36:29 AM »

TOD:

DVD:  KISS ME KATE, Kathryn Grayson.

Laura

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2010, 07:46:18 AM »

Are you feeling better today, td?

td

• td
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2010, 07:55:04 AM »

Are you feeling better today, td?

So far. . .

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2010, 07:55:53 AM »

I would say I'm sick as a dog except our dogs are perfectly healthy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2010, 07:56:53 AM »

Aww. I hope the entire K family feels better soon!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2010, 07:57:13 AM »

I've been reading everyone's comments about the olympics and national pride.  Maybe it's slightly different in canada. But we don't have athletes like lindsey vonn who are promotional machines.  And here it IS a matter of national pride, and not only because the olympics are in canada.  Maybe when a country is used to winning so many medals it is not as exciting.  But here we can always count them on our hand and remember who won each one.  Yesterday it was thrilling to see the top female long track speed skater actually win in her event (1000m). I'm glad I saw it.

It's not about how many medals a country wins, Jennifer, although every country deservedly takes pride in its successes.  For me, it's the media assault on our senses and the nationalistic demand for more, more, more medals.  The athletes cease being individuals during the Olympics and are turned into little boxes that get checked by the media.  If the athlete does not live up to the hype the media imposes upon him, the media reviles him for some reason or other.

It's sickening.

I long for the days when the U.S. was happy if it won 10 medals in the Winter Olympics.  Then, the athletes were the ones that drew me in.  Unexpected victories brought great pleasure.  Now, the media hypes the top athlete in every discipline and "suggests" there is a possibility that, because it's the Olympics, they might pull some inner strength from deep inside them and perform a miracle.

Some Canadian media has been critical of your prime minister's call for more emotional reaction from Canadians over the Olympics.  I know he was attempting to promote a sense of excitement and solidarity, but now some Canadian media have been using that approach as a reason to blame the death of that Georgian luge athlete on the prime minister's "policy".

I am all for national pride...but the media just ruin for it me nowadays.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:50:51 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2010, 07:57:32 AM »

I did manage to slog through a couple more "Eurotrash" operas, a Pelleas and Melisande set in the North Pole, replete with mannequins (no, I'm not kidding), and the Bayreuth Festival production of Tristan and Isolde, slightly better than Pelleas, but set on a cruise ship with all the women sporting early 60's Jackie Kennedy bouffants and Dior-esque fashions.  Lawsy, lawsy, why can't they "just do it" without all the hoo-hah?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2010, 07:58:57 AM »

Today I drop off many checks to our CU to prepare for the "big purchase" next week.  We go to the title company on Wednesday to sign papers, and the loan is officially funded a week from today (to minimize owed interest, which is not making the sellers happy, but tough noogies).  Now we just need to unload this house pronto.  Who wants to move to Portland?  ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2010, 08:03:31 AM »

As for the men's figure skating last night
(i'll leave space in case anyone does not know the results and does not want to know)

It was interesting. But boy did it finish late. I wish they hadn't let it go past midnight. 

If you are in eastern Canada, I guess it was late for you.  It began at 8 p.m. pst (I checked the schedule and that WAS the start time).  Here on the west coast of the U.S., the competition did not get television coverage until about 10:30 p.m.   The broadcast went past midnight although I did not stay up to see it.  I had already learned of the results by 10:30 p.m. and knew my DVR would capture everything.  I did stay up to watch Lysacek's skate (which aired at approximatley 11:25 p.m.).  I was amazed!

I can at least state I am happy as a clam that the entire west coast fan base of halfpipe women's snowboarding got to see every single aspect of the semi-finals and finals...that we got to see all the runs by all the American women (for whom a sweep was mentioned at every turn...and which ended up being a victory for an Australian lady who seemingly came out of nowhere).  An American woman  claimed silver -- the sole U.S. medal -- and the distinction of being the most decorated U.S. female winter sports person ever.  From 8 p.m. to approximately 10:30 p.m., the NBC west coast feed was women's halfpipe coverage.  Our cups ranneth over.

I think NBC is attempting to appeal to, and capture, a younger fan base...but I've never been aware that X-sports, whether live or tape-delayed, were huge ratings grabbers.  Perhaps NBC doesn't have any "live broadcast" rights to the figures coverage.

Were I a snarky person, I'd suggest that when it's time for ladies figure sktaing coverage, the west coast will be treated to the entire curling compeitition until hours after the ladies finals are over.  However, I think curling will be done by then.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:29:21 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2010, 08:05:37 AM »

TOD:

DVD:
If it arrives today from Warner's Archive I will have that teenage rebel classic UNTAMED YOUTH starring Mamie Van Doren and Lori Nelson.

DVR:
I have a couple of GUNSMOKE episodes I need to burn to DVD-r

CD:
A Bollywood soundtrack in the car, title of which escapes me just now.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2010, 08:11:35 AM »

Saturday I am scheduled to act (and I use that term loosely) in a student film. How I was cast is a long story, but it was quite a surprise to me when I was asked to be part of this.

My character is "Conservative Republican gentleman."

So far I have no clue where, or when I am to appear at the filming location tomorrow as the director has not answered my e-mail from a couple of days ago. Maybe he was put off by my outrageous requests for my own dressing trailer and imported bottled water.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2010, 08:13:34 AM »

Saturday I am scheduled to act (and I use that term loosely) in a student film. How I was cast is a long story, but it was quite a surprise to me when I was asked to be part of this.

My character is "Conservative Republican gentleman."

So far I have no clue where, or when I am to appear at the filming location tomorrow as the director has not answered my e-mail from a couple of days ago. Maybe he was put off by my outrageous requests for my own dressing trailer and imported bottled water.

Perhaps der Brucer would volunteer to be a consultant in your preparation for the role.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2010, 08:19:45 AM »

Thank all that is holy that today is Friday.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2010, 08:34:27 AM »

What happened?  Did I run everyone off?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2010, 08:35:11 AM »

Oh, well.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2010, 08:35:21 AM »

I guess I can post just a bit more.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2010, 08:35:49 AM »

Heaven knows when I'll be able to post more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up