Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: MINTY FRESH  (Read 40330 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:MINTY FRESH
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2004, 09:02:34 PM »

Dolly Town! (Though it doesn't sound far removed from Dollywood.)
Uh, I've been through Dollywood.  It is downright scary how a beautiful part of the country can be razed to build as many theaters and hotels as that area has.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2004, 09:05:00 PM »

Page Five Dance!

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
;D
:D  :D
8)    8)
[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2004, 09:07:52 PM »

Tofu spelled backwards is ufot.  Just thought I'd mention it.  I'm watching Bachelor in Paradise, a comfy early sixties Bob Hope vehicle.  Looks like it was all shot somewhere in Woodland Hills - I got one street sign down but Mapquest says it doesn't exist - so maybe they've nuked that part of suburbia or maybe they changed the name of the street.  Weird.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2004, 09:11:53 PM »

Dear Friend BK, I just got through the Grammy Awards Guide the new 2-disc SHERRY!, which I will listen to tomorrow.  I just finished laughing over James Lipton's notes about "young producer Robert Sher" (to quote PORGY AND BESS, "that gal's forty if she's a day") and I think there could be a parlor game seeing how many times INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO is mentioned!

So, I love his comment that this is the first choreographed compact disc; clearly the stardazzled INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO Mr Lipton has never heard our recording of the title song "Sherry" on UNSUNG MUSICALS!  If he had stopped kissing ass long enough to listen, he might have noticed the wonderful  Nikki Harris and her taps on the choreographed "Smile" selection.  I'm also agog at all the studios involved:  Prague, Bratislava, New York, St Louis!  Simply agog.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2004, 09:14:28 PM »

Jane, you'll have to have Keith resize that wonderful photo so we're not in ToddAO

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2004, 09:16:48 PM »

Thanks for the Bush Girl laugh. Sent the link to a friend and his computer crashed! (or at least froze). Bush still hits the innocent.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2004, 09:18:59 PM »

Have been listening all day to Miss Leslie Uggams singing A & M Bergman songs. Particular favourite is "Where Do You Start". Naturally I purchased the Cd through a retailer.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2004, 09:23:38 PM »

I've just had a very surreal conversation with someone at Adelphia who basically told me that it's not his problem if my modem is buzzing. It's only his problem if I can't surf the net. Does anyone out there who has a high speed internet modem hear a buzzing from the box? I was convinced that this just started today - but now I'm not sure that it hasn't been doing it all the time I've had the thing (about 3 weeks) and for some reason I've just now noticed.
                                                                 ??? :P :-\

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2004, 09:24:14 PM »

Danise I’m sorry about the lizard and Keith just remembered how you have a fondness for lizards, aside from just your usual kindness.  Where is your avatar?  I miss it.

JRand53 Keith, Penny and I had a good laugh over the sign.

Bruce, Keith is very upset you did that to him.   ;D We are using the laptop and he doesn’t have the software to reduce the size.  

Keith and Penny are eating frozen non-fat yogurt crap.  At least all my good junk food is safe with them in this house. :D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2004, 09:28:42 PM »

Goodnight.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2004, 09:31:04 PM »

A few years back, der Brucer and I attended a showing of the kinescope of the original Rodgers and Hammerstein Cinderella, starring Julie Andrews.  In a discussion before the presentation, it was noted how small the studio space was, and how every inch of the studio had to be used to cram together what looked on the tube as a very spectacular show.  The house where Cinderella lived with her stepmother and stepsisters was barely larger than her own little corner.  The ballroom had enough space for Cinderella and her prince to turn around in, not much more, everyone else being on stair units (the better to give the illusion of space).  It was all done with careful planning and mirrors.

This version of Cinderella was produced in NYC.

If anything, it's the lack of studio space in NYC that has driven television production out of that city.  Filming a play, be it musical or not, requires space for sets, cameras, lights, control rooms, and we haven't even brought in a live audience yet.  Compare this to the Los Angeles area, where land was still cheap (and horizontal) when the television studios were being built.  CBS's Television City sits on acres of land, as do the NBC studios.  Go on a tour of either, and I advise wearing good walking shoes, because you're going to need them.  Even a three-camera sit-com (with audience) generally uses a stage space that is wider than most live theaters.

Partly for this reason, much of what used to be filmed in NYC has moved west.  The opportunites for someone appearing on Broadway to appear on a talk-show have been sliced to ribbons.  And, other than Saturday Night Live, I can't think of any entertainment production currently going on in NYC.  Maybe a soap or two, but that's mostly west coast these days.

So too has the attention of the audience moved away from NYC.  Take Chenoweth, for example.  She's on the verge of becoming nationally known and recognized.  But she can't do that in NYC alone, not any more.  This means appearing in concerts, or on television, places where people nationwide can see her.  No wonder she's leaving Wicked when her contract runs out.  Life on the Wicked stage can only hold her back.

td

• td
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2004, 09:31:49 PM »

Did Panni say "surreal?"

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dave in the valley

• Petey says "Hello from Hollywood!"
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2004, 09:39:42 PM »

I will feel full of guilt if I've read all these posts and don't leave one myself.
   Yesterday I watched "The Valley of the Dolls" on one of the classic Fox movie channels -in letterbox!- and they had production notes appearing at the bottom of the screen all through the movie. One of the most interesting notes accompanied the scene in which Neely O'Hara is replaced by her understudy right before the curtain rises - it was filmed at the same theatre Patty Duke played in "The Miracle Worker". I'm certain one of the knowledgable Broadway history types out there can identify the theatre.

There. I feel better now.

Dave
Dave in the Valley

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2004, 09:44:31 PM »

I've just had a very surreal conversation with someone at Adelphia who basically told me that it's not his problem if my modem is buzzing. It's only his problem if I can't surf the net. Does anyone out there who has a high speed internet modem hear a buzzing from the box? I was convinced that this just started today - but now I'm not sure that it hasn't been doing it all the time I've had the thing (about 3 weeks) and for some reason I've just now noticed.
                                                                 ??? :P :-\

It shouldn't be buzzing, not loud buzzing, anyway.  It could simply be one of the lights giving out.  But other than that, I can't think on why it would buzz.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2004, 09:53:07 PM »

My cable modem doesn't seem to be making a buzzing sound.  My head is, though.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2004, 09:53:19 PM »

I did the same thing MR BK the first time I saw Bachelor In Paradise....I would say the subdivision still exists somewhere....but an internet sweep should give at least one address on the street!

DRLAURA my aunt always said each time you leave your house, you will see 3 funny things before you get back.  I have been counting for more than 45 years, and I have never been disappointed!

dRJAY....George Bush looks like Jennifer Anniston!

I couldnt' make the chicken link work.

But in honor of the other links....I hereby re-represent How to Dance Properly!

http://www.zefrank.com/invite/swfs/index2.html

« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 09:54:11 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2004, 09:55:55 PM »

Dave in the Valley - The Miracle Worker was at the PLAYHOUSE THEATRE that was on 48th street.  It was demolished in 1969!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2004, 09:58:25 PM »

DRPANNI - try loggin off your computer and unplugging your modem from the power source and plugging it back in.

And say a prayer and cross your fingers.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2004, 10:00:38 PM »

My cable modem doesn't seem to be making a buzzing sound.  My head is, though.
Dear BK: Those are bees you are hearing.  Charge them rent.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2004, 10:06:11 PM »

Ouch!  JRand - As I was leaning forward to read that sign's pertinent information about the bridge, I accidentally grabbed the edge and cut my hand.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2004, 10:13:09 PM »

LOL DRNOEL....oh and please remind DRJOY that the show she was interested in about ShowBiz Parents is on tomorrow night!

Panni

« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2004, 10:35:33 PM »

Thanks for the modem advice. I've unplugged, etc.
It's still buzzing - but not as loudly.

Panni

« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2004, 10:36:21 PM »

Tony Central? Suddenly all these Broadway types are popping up and saying hello. That and the buzzing are giving my desk quite the party atmosphere.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 10:38:49 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2004, 10:40:56 PM »

Now they're gone. Maybe it was all a hallucination. Obviously, I've been drinking too much Diet Cherry Coke.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2004, 11:25:43 PM »

Speaking of Diet Cherry Coke, or at least using it as a seque, has anyone out there tried Diet Lime Coke?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2004, 11:26:59 PM »

And Salvadore's pocketwatches need resizing.  They are dali-nquent.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up