Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MINTY FRESH  (Read 40641 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MINTY FRESH
« on: April 19, 2004, 12:01:01 AM »

Well, you've read the damn notes, you're notes perfect, you can quote the notes verbatim, you can sing the notes in any key, and now you are ready to post until the cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 12:01:30 AM by bk »

Michael

Re:MINTY FRESH
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 02:37:49 AM »

I am not sure if there are really any stars out there today. They make a name for themselves with one show and then they disappear from the broadway scene. More to do with economics than anything. Also you don;t have composers who write shows for stars like Porter did for Merman. Actors today do no have the discipline like stars of yesterday. They will miss performances. Leave shows to do movies or tv pilots. Stars like Channing, Merman, Martin, Bacall were (in)famous for never missing a performance. Harvey Fierstein took to taks many of his fellow performers from the original cast of Hairspray for missing too many shows.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 05:32:51 AM »

Well, DR Michael, I have to agree with you!  A great deal of the  current "stars" seem to be critics' darlings that I find either overindulgent or guilty of too much believing in their press.  I question a lot of their vocalizing as well as a lot of their acting choices.  There are some wonderful performers out and about, but the last person I thought gave a star performance, besides Patti Lupone in CAN-CAN, was Reba McEntire in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 05:55:42 AM »

There are some wonderful performances in the Toronto production of The Producers. Michel Therriault, with Stratford credentials, is perfect as Leo. He has charisma, comic timing, and a good Broadway voice.

Yesterday's chat was lively as always, and it was particularly nice to schmooze with DRs Laura and Elmore as the evening wound down.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 06:28:52 AM »

Here's a salute to two Broadway hunks I wish would get more work in starring roles: Marc Kudisch and Christopher Sieber.

Of course, Kudisch has rarely been idle in the last couple of years with MILLIE, MEN, and now ASSASSINS, and Sieber went into a television series this season which doesn't look like it's going to be renewed, so we should see him back on Broadway (other than his current CHICAGO fill-in) in something next season hopefully.

I also think Brian D'Arcy James could elevate to star roles if the right shows could come along for him.

Of the ladies, I have to mention the stunning Idina Menzel who rocks the CD of WICKED. And congratulations to her, Kristin, Joel, and Carole Shelley for all scoring Outer Critics Circle nominations this morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 06:37:17 AM »

There are a hell of a lot of talented people doing leads on Broadway (and also doing supporting roles) but they will never be stars to the general public unless they do film or television.  Back in the 50s and 60s there many variety shows broadcast from New York and people could tape these shows during the day and appear on Broadway at night.  Ed Sullivan even featured complete numbers from Broadway shows with the current cast.  His presentation of scenes from CAMELOT is credited with turning the show into a hit.  Until "The Birdcage" nobody but true theater fans knew Nathan Lane.  Fans of "Cheers" were surprised when Bebe Neuwirth showed her ability to sing and dance in CHICAGO, not realizing that she was also a Tony winning musical actress before she ever did television.  More people saw Patti LuPone in one episode pf "Life Goes On" than saw her in the entire run of EVITA.  And Brent Barrett is much better known for a soap role he played in the mid-80s than for any of his Broadway credits.  Talented performers like Karen Ziemba, Melissa Errico, and so many others will never become the stars they deserve to be (ie: stars whose names will initially sell tickets to mediocre shows like Merman in HAPPY HUNTING or Martin in JEANNIE) unless they first make a name for themself in one of the electronic media.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 06:50:41 AM »

I think Bernadette Peters is a star.

I'm very fond of a lot of the 30 somethings: Kristin Chenoweth, Alice Ripley, Ruthie Henshall.

One actress who I think is fabulous and who could become a big star with a leading role on Broadway is Julia Murney. Total powerhouse.

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 06:55:43 AM »

Re: last night's alias

I will be very vague so that those who have not seen it will not know what I'm talking about.

But WOW, the identity of the "passenger" totally surprised me.

However, I knew what happened to Sloane was not real.

Great episode.

(btw, DR Emily, if your sis wants to know what happened at the end, email me).

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 07:14:24 AM »

Carolee Carmello impressed me greatly in A Class Act and Parade
Alison Frazer is excellent
Liz Callaway's voice can't be beat
La Chanze knocked me out as The Bubbly Black Girl, and on the CD of Once On This Island
Mary Testa and Mary Stout always make me laugh
Judy Kuhn was riveting in Chess

Odd that no men are coming to mind right now, ain't it?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 07:26:28 AM »

Brian Stokes Mitchell is a bona fide star - but first he made his name on a TV series, as that somewhat ethnic guy, whatshisname.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 07:30:52 AM »

And George Hearn is still a star.
PennyO

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 07:31:55 AM »

Good morning. I know very little of the crop of new Broadway performers, so there isn't much I can add to the topic. I'll name our own Juliana A. Hansen as someone on the brink of stardom.
I agree in part with WEL's thought that in order to become a star you need to work in other media. But if a performer is truly great - I mean GREAT - on Broadway, he or she will be featured in magazines, get on the talk shows, etc. and could make a name that way. It doesn't happen often, but it's possible. BUT, not every stage performer is a good screen performer. A TV-movie I wrote years ago had as its female lead Kim Crosby who was at the time one of the stars of INTO THE WOODS. She looked cute on screen and did a competent job, but did not have that certain elusive quality an actor needs to pop off the screen and into the audience's heart. (Terry Hatcher, BTW, (pre-Superman) had auditioned for the same role and was nixed.)

I'm not feeling great this morning - had a lousy night's sleep, among other things - so am going for a brisk walk now and intend to return feeling superb. (It's all in the INTENTION, according to Dr. Wayne Dyer, a motivational guru I unfortunately heard during the PBS begging marathon last night. You intend to get sick and you intend to get well. Same for being successful, etc. So - I also intend to become wealthy beyond my wildest dreams today - just thought I'd let you all know. I also intended to post this ten minutes ago and was thrown off the site. Obviously my intentions were not honorable.)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 07:50:18 AM »

Penny you still here?

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2004, 07:54:36 AM »

I think REAL "intention" is living with awareness, consciously choosing, owning one's choices, and accepting responsibility for the consequences of those choices. There is the real power we have. Then, if our own actions bring a good result, we know how to repeat it. If the result is something we don't like, we can change the recipe. Worked for Edison on his lightbulb experiments. Weeding out what doesn't work and concentrating on what does work in our lives takes just the smallest shift of attention - and it does give one a feeling of having some say over the quality of our lives.

I guess the trick is awareness - we, ourselves, do or do not make choices in small and large ways, all day long. Living consciously, striving for awareness RIGHT NOW gives us more options. Too early for this blather, huh? Ah, well, I'm about to get into the car for a two day drive...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2004, 07:55:34 AM »

yup - still here. Yes, let's go to that restaurant again.
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2004, 07:57:51 AM »

Okay.  Call from the road so we know when to meet you. :D

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2004, 08:00:59 AM »

I haven't seen ALIAS yet as I was not home when it was on last night. I recorded it, and will see it at some point today. Looking forward to it, naturally. Also recorded '24' and quite a few other shows last night due to being away for much of the day.

Jane

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2004, 08:05:41 AM »

Penny get moving or we won't be able to hold out for dinner at the restaurant. :)

Jane

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2004, 08:22:31 AM »

Bogie is doing his morning exercise routine-chasing his very long tail. :D  He is so cute.

Jane

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2004, 08:23:37 AM »

It is a quiet morning.  I shall follow Bogie's example & go exercise.

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2004, 08:43:47 AM »

MattH, if all goes well with the postal service you should have Jeff Richards in your mailbox today!

I don't know from Broadway performer's so I will have to skip today's topic. But I do enjoy reading others picks and seeing if I recognize any of the names.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2004, 08:44:40 AM »

I haven't seen ALIAS yet as I was not home when it was on last night. I recorded it, and will see it at some point today. Looking forward to it, naturally. Also recorded '24' and quite a few other shows last night due to being away for much of the day.

I really hope what I wrote didn't spoil anything for you.  If it did, I am sincerely sorry.  I thought you would have watched it live.  The vagueness would really only be vague for someone like BK, who hasn't watched any of this season yet.

The show was really good though.  And they advertised I believe that there are only 3 new episodes until the finale.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2004, 08:49:09 AM »

Where is everybody today?

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2004, 08:57:57 AM »

When I saw you were writing about ALIAS, Jennifer, I skipped right over what you wrote, so it didn't spoil anything. There were also guarded hints about the show and the season finale in this week's ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, and I skipped those, too.

Will write you in private, DR MBarnum, but the package did come today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2004, 09:02:50 AM »

There are five count them five new entries up in Juliana's Journal, so check 'em out.

Just a note that we have crossed the 38,000 posts line - not our next landmark, but pretty close.

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?  

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2004, 09:16:16 AM »

Ooh great about the journals. Will check those out soon.  So were they hard to post?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2004, 09:28:12 AM »

Saying hello before breakfast and work just to inch us closer to page two.

I feel much better after my walk.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2004, 09:31:37 AM »

Such great photos yesterday DR MICHAEL SHAYNE.  ;D  Thanks for sharing them!  Looks like you had great weather.

Sparkling chat last night - eclectic, yes.   8)

Hmmmmmmm.....there are a couple of guys I have seen in touring productions that I think might make the leap if they get THE ROLE:

Thomas James O'Leary who did a really terrific YOUNG Phantom.  I like him a lot!  ;)

And Jeremy Kushnier who has been on Broadway, but who I saw as Rademes in "Aida" and was very good!  :P

Although as other dear readers have already said, I am not sure we will have Broadway Stars like we used to.  The medium has changed - it's more about content now, I guess, and the SHOW is the star.

Oh, and Craig Bierko should get another defining role if possible!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2004, 09:34:49 AM »

Dan-in-Toronto's review is finally up at amazon.  Hoo and ray.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2004, 09:37:30 AM »

Beth Fowler, who was in the original Little Night Music and played Mrs. Lovett in the revival of Sweeney Todd, was vocally outstanding in The Boy From Oz. And her scenes with Hugh Jackman were extremely moving. I'd love to see her get another major role.

And let's not forget that Rosie O'Donnell, along with Ed Sullivan, helped give Broadway a shot in the arm.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up