Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER  (Read 13131 times)

Jennifer

Re: NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 07:19:20 AM »

RE: LAST NIGHT'S MEN'S FIGURE SKATING LONG PROGRAM FROM THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

I spent some time this morning watching both Takahashi's and Chan's long programs on-line. It's not my favorite way to watch figure skating, of course, since it's harder to see edges and landings in the reduced sized frames of those downloaded broadcasts.

Still, neither of the top two (and I gather from reading about Brian Joubert's skate him either) skated a clean long program. Takahashi made a couple of bobbles on big-point jumps and Chan had two or three sloppy mistakes. I think in an Olympic year, the skaters are exhausted by the time the worlds come around, and I thought both of their skates didn't have the snap of their Olympic performances.

The Universal Sports website had the entire competition, but it takes a lot of buffering to be able to watch a lengthy program like that without the DSL connection pausing occasionally to do additional buffering, and for someone like me who wants to see the skates uninterrupted, it's maddening.

To me Patrick Chan skated mostly cleanly. A few minor bobbles. But it was his one fall that was devastating. Brian Joubert to me has no fluidity when he skates. It is just him getting ready for one big jump after another. He did his quad flip. And a bunch of other big jumps. He also fell once a believe and bobbled a few. An interesting person to watch was this small blond Czech guy. I believe his scores were higher than Jouberts.

I am very curious to know if the judges gave the #1 guy full points for his quad. Kurt Browning (World Champion and knowledgable on the quad) is the commentator in Canada. And he watched it on slow motion. And said the quad was not fully rotated. ANd he double footed the landing. So he was not sure if he would get the points for that. I'm just curious since his final score was so high if he got full points for that.  He did not fall. BUt he bobbled a few times.  Overall i thought the short programs was much stronger.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 07:35:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: SHIBBOLETH!

And The Song Of The Day Is: RAGTIME

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 07:41:46 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Would you believe there's snow on the ground?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 07:42:07 AM »

MEdia Check:

iPod:  The White Stripes - UNDER THE GREAT NORTHERN LIGHTS, Joanna Newsome -- HAVE ONE ON ME

Tivo:  Last night's PROJECT RUNWAY

DVD:  THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX

I tried to listen to Joanna Newsome's last album, with arrangements by Van Dyke Parks, but couldn't get past her weird voice. The arrangements were great, though!

The other day I heard a song on the radio and the voice was so compelling and unusual that I really liked it. I waited to see who it was, thinking it might be Kate Bush.

It was Joanna Newsome.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 07:43:01 AM »

I'm gonna go travel north and look at a baby!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 08:06:23 AM »

MEdia Check:

iPod:  The White Stripes - UNDER THE GREAT NORTHERN LIGHTS, Joanna Newsome -- HAVE ONE ON ME

I tried to listen to Joanna Newsome's last album, with arrangements by Van Dyke Parks, but couldn't get past her weird voice. The arrangements were great, though!

The other day I heard a song on the radio and the voice was so compelling and unusual that I really liked it. I waited to see who it was, thinking it might be Kate Bush.

It was Joanna Newsome.

I heard a snippet of a song on the radio, too. But my real curiosity is why this release has only about 18 to 21 songs spread out on three CDs.  Is there a theme per disc or what?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 08:15:58 AM »

Have a safe trip!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 08:16:52 AM »

MEdia Check:

It was Joanna Newsome.

I heard a snippet of a song on the radio, too. But my real curiosity is why this release has only about 18 to 21 songs spread out on three CDs.  Is there a theme per disc or what?

Does each song last 10 minutes?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 08:54:21 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it was nice sleeping in my own bed again! And for about ten hours too! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2010, 09:06:09 AM »

My super is here painting my bathroom, and I just did a second edit on the orchestra score for "Evaline McCook." Now I have to move on to the Montgomery & Stone Medley for THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER edition.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2010, 09:06:34 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

During my commutes over the past week - both on the bus and the Metro - I went back through all the "Sondheim: The Story So Far" podcasts.  It was interesting listening to some of them again.  -I still can't stand the ones with Mandy Patinkin, especially his analysis/recitation of "Move On", but, otherwise, it was great hearing some of those recollections and music clips again.  And I'm still surprised that they didn't edit(?) - or at least clarify - Paul Ford's mix-up of the cut song from Sunday in the Park with George, "The One on the Left", and Into the Woods.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2010, 09:12:07 AM »

There's a little over 2 hours of music total spread over the three discs - 6 songs per disc - and I believe it was meant to be listened to as if it were 3 EPs.

At least it was not priced as a "1 & 1/2 CD Set", instead of a "Three 3-CD Set".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2010, 09:13:27 AM »

Does each song last 10 minutes?

Well, there are a few 8-minute tracks, a 9-minute track and one 11-minute track.  I guess that averages out to 10.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2010, 09:14:14 AM »

Have a Wonderful Visit, Auntie DR edisaurus!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2010, 09:19:44 AM »

That was quite a restaurant story, DR JOSE....almost as good as going to the theatre.

Almost, DR JRand.  Almost. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2010, 09:26:05 AM »

There's a little over 2 hours of music total spread over the three discs - 6 songs per disc - and I believe it was meant to be listened to as if it were 3 EPs.

At least it was not priced as a "1 & 1/2 CD Set", instead of a "Three 3-CD Set".

Or... According to Joanna Newsom's interview in TIME:

The album's over two hours long and spread out over three discs. It seems designed to be listened to as one complete product and not as a series of separate songs. Why did you make something in this format?

I tried to sequence it so that it could be listened to in its entirety and had a progression that felt thematically logical and natural. In a way, the three records are like chapters in a book. Unless you're serializing a book you wouldn't separate the chapters, but they're also meant to be these little self-contained segments within the narrative.

Read More
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:32:13 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »

Had a great night's sleep and got up about fifteen minutes ago.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2010, 10:15:46 AM »

The bathroom is painted, the floor and the kitchen floor mopped, and when the pain is dry, I will tidy the bathroom. I'm ready to tackle the edits for Montgomery & Stone.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2010, 10:26:33 AM »

:D

Jane

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2010, 10:29:39 AM »

From Jose:
But I'm already home...

I thought you were in China Town at the bus stop.

Um... DR Jane - Not really.  -In fact, that's where I saw "Broadway: The Golden Age" during the run of What If?.  It was playing indie and foreign films.

I do know it is a Slanket & shall be ordering one today.

OK, did you catch my post where I had some wine  ;D

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 10:38:48 AM »

The bathroom is painted, the floor and the kitchen floor mopped, and when the pain is dry, I will tidy the bathroom.

Sounds like you're all set up for a water-leak from above.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:41:47 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2010, 10:45:48 AM »

You mean you are a cheap lush   easy drunk easily susceptible to intoxication?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2010, 10:59:10 AM »

Jane,

We were strolling about the downtown and came upon a new Italian Foodie store; the owner gave us some sample cookies baked by his Mother.

Almond macaroon
A moist, chewy cookie made with almond paste and slivered almonds. *Contains no flour*

These were not made by Mom, they must be imported from a distant planet of perfection.

(I thought of you!)

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »

Jane,

We were strolling about the downtown and came upon a new Italian Foodie store; the owner gave us some sample cookies baked by his Mother.

Almond macaroon
A moist, chewy cookie made with almond paste and slivered almonds. *Contains no flour*

These were not made by Mom, they must be imported from a distant planet of perfection.

(I thought of you!)

der Brucer

Ooo...these sound delishious (a George and Ira Gershwin reference)! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »

George - it's hard to tell if you're having any fun in the Brain rehearsals.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2010, 11:13:10 AM »

Well...

It is a bit cool today here in NYC, but the sun came out, so... Time for a walk.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2010, 11:30:22 AM »

You mean you are a cheap lush   easy drunk easily susceptible to intoxication?

der Brucer

Even more so since the surgery.  I need to build up my tolerance again ;)

I wish the fogginess in my head had cleared faster than the pain relief, still it relaxed everything & I had a rather comfortable night. :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2010, 11:31:40 AM »

Or... According to Joanna Newsom's interview in TIME:

The album's over two hours long and spread out over three discs. It seems designed to be listened to as one complete product and not as a series of separate songs. Why did you make something in this format?

I tried to sequence it so that it could be listened to in its entirety and had a progression that felt thematically logical and natural. In a way, the three records are like chapters in a book. Unless you're serializing a book you wouldn't separate the chapters, but they're also meant to be these little self-contained segments within the narrative.

Read More

Well, that explains that.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2010, 11:31:52 AM »

Jane,

Almond macaroon

(I thought of you!)

der Brucer

I've never seen them with slivered almonds before!!  I wonder if that is why they are so nice and fat.  They look yummy.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »

Hi Sam, I didn't know the Sportsman's Lodge reopened.  I thought it was closing for good.  I hope your stay there is nice. 

MOVING VIBES!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up