Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WHIZ BANG WEEK  (Read 15308 times)

Jennifer

Re: THE WHIZ BANG WEEK
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2010, 06:01:34 PM »

Seder's over. I'm very full.

My aunt made an interesting dessert. It was sort of a passover version of strawberry shortcake. I liked it except for the cake part.

Not liking the cake part doesn't surprise me ;D

I know. And guess what? I don't even really like matzah. Although my  mom made chocolate matzah which i will eat.

Jennifer

« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2010, 06:03:27 PM »

So, why is it news?

Apparently it isn't news in Tacoma.  I haven't heard a thing about it.  Although. last week our local newspaper hinted that Noel Coward might have been gay!

re: ricky martin being gay

This is the first i've heard about this now (although i've heard the rumors for years).  So it's not a surprise.

I actually used to like him a long time ago. I remember my uncle got me and my sister tickets to his concert and we were in like the 5th row. But that was years and years ago.

KevinH

« Reply #182 on: March 29, 2010, 06:05:59 PM »

TOD:  We used to have Sealtest ice cream in Buffalo.  And I loved Eskimo Pies.

Now I buy Edy's slow churned Chocolate Brownie---it's very good!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2010, 06:06:27 PM »

Thanks, it cheered me up.  I wish I were at a seder tonight, or I would wish it if I had the energy.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Too exhausted even to think about it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #184 on: March 29, 2010, 06:07:49 PM »

Our DS Rob arrived from Michigan in time to have dinner with us and my cousin and his family have arrived at the retirement community from Georgia.  They are staying in a guest house there until they return to Japan on Friday.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #185 on: March 29, 2010, 06:07:53 PM »

I think I will go watch DANCING WITH THE STARS now.  So i'll have time to vote. I like that we can vote in Canada too. And i like that they limit the number of votes. And i also like that you can start voting as soon as the show starts. I don't like that you can only vote for 30  minutes after the show though. It doesn't give much time if you start watching late. Although i don't really care about voting that much.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #186 on: March 29, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »

My therapist is going to a seder tonight.  He was asking questions about the food & what to expect.  Fortunately he had seen the Ten Commandments ;D  He can't eat meat & I was trying to think what foods he should avoid.  I think I mentioned the latkes.  I suggested he taste a matzo ball.

Jane

« Reply #187 on: March 29, 2010, 06:12:22 PM »

Our DS Rob arrived from Michigan in time to have dinner with us and my cousin and his family have arrived at the retirement community from Georgia.  They are staying in a guest house there until they return to Japan on Friday.

How nice there is a guest house at the retirement community.  Have a nice visit with your family.

Jane

« Reply #188 on: March 29, 2010, 06:13:53 PM »

Seder's over. I'm very full.

My aunt made an interesting dessert. It was sort of a passover version of strawberry shortcake. I liked it except for the cake part.

Not liking the cake part doesn't surprise me ;D

I know. And guess what? I don't even really like matzah. Although my  mom made chocolate matzah which i will eat.

I love matzos, eat it all the time.  I only eat Passover matzos at seders-way too dry for me.  I stock up on the regular stuff before Passover.

Jane

« Reply #189 on: March 29, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »

Thanks, it cheered me up.  I wish I were at a seder tonight, or I would wish it if I had the energy.

Does this mean you usually celebrate Passover?

Jane

« Reply #190 on: March 29, 2010, 06:17:56 PM »

I told my therapist I thought he could eat coconut macaroons if they had them, & was sure he could eat almond ones.  He didn't know what they are.  His parents were from China & he doesn't seem to have been exposed to Jewish food, or people.  A friend is taking him to the seder.

Jane

« Reply #191 on: March 29, 2010, 06:20:17 PM »

My therapist is very nice & I didn't realize how cute until he cut his hair.  He asked me today if his tied back pony tail was more professional looking than his new look.  I didn't think the pony tail was "professional" looking but asked if he was comparing it to the model look. :)  He really does look like a model now.  He beamed at my model reference.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #192 on: March 29, 2010, 06:23:56 PM »

Does this mean you usually celebrate Passover?
Yes. I have a friend who was born Jewish and though he's now studying for his doctorate in divinity from a Methodist university, he and his wife would have a Seder every year at their home. Not this year, however. We will have a mini-version at church on Thursday, but it's not the same (though the wine they pour is as sweet and sticky -- and not to my taste-- as it is as the Seder's I've had at temples in the past.)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2010, 06:24:37 PM »

How nice there is a guest house at the retirement community.  Have a nice visit with your family.

There are several, DR Jane.  My cousin and his family are in a nice 2 bedroom patio home and tomorrow my sister and her husband will stay for 2 nights in a studio before they move into our house when Richard and I leave for Easter weekend in Lima.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2010, 06:44:07 PM »

My Passover wine of choice-tastes great mixed with chopped apples & raisins.

If you can't read the label, this is Blackberry.  I don't like anything else.

Jane

« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »

John G, I find it interesting you get to go to seder's when I don't. :)  If we went to L.A. for the holiday we would be invited to at least two.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #196 on: March 29, 2010, 06:46:06 PM »

Bedtime for Bozo.

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #197 on: March 29, 2010, 06:48:04 PM »

There are several, DR Jane.  My cousin and his family are in a nice 2 bedroom patio home and tomorrow my sister and her husband will stay for 2 nights in a studio before they move into our house when Richard and I leave for Easter weekend in Lima.

I forgot you would need to be there for Good Friday.  Will you stay in a hotel or is there a guest house for you?

Ginny

« Reply #198 on: March 29, 2010, 07:11:48 PM »

I forgot you would need to be there for Good Friday.  Will you stay in a hotel or is there a guest house for you?

We actually have to be there for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday and decided it was silly to drive back and then go again for Sunday, so we're staying in a hotel.  Rob and Mary Linda will join us on Friday and on Saturday we'll visit with our niece, who's a Methodist minister, and her family.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #199 on: March 29, 2010, 07:12:21 PM »

Well, it's The Brain rehearsal time!  I won't need to be there the whole time.  We're going to do "ACT I clean/fill in" and he'll let us out as we're no longer needed...whenever that will be.

Until later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Laura

« Reply #200 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:26 PM »

I had a very busy day.

I remember ice cream.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #201 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:27 PM »

As Mel Brooks once wrote: "Look for the best, expect the worst"!  :D

I'll bet that for every one of those three bad stories, you probably have a dozen that turned out better than you could have ever imagined.

Two words: Dustin Hoffman
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »

When I went down, I decided I was in the mood for a classic, and then I spied on the shelf a film noir I have had in a box set for years, but being familiar with the movie, I hadn't watched it on DVD since I bought this set.

I'm talking, of course, of THE ASPHALT JUNGLE. Not the greatest transfer in the world. This was the best version of the film they could find? Of course, if I had had time, I could have listened to the (most likely) illuminating commentary by everyone's favorite film professor Dr. Drew Casper, and that might have explained why this kind of dirty and definitely scratched element was used for the transfer.

Anyway, the film is SO good. Sterling Hayden was never a great actor, but this is probably his best performance. Louis Calhern was nominated as Best Actor for THE MAGNIFICENT YANKEE in 1950, but he could have been up for this, too. The film was NOT nominated for Best Picture (MGM had FATHER OF THE BRIDE and KING SOLOMON'S MINES as their Best Picture nominees) though John Huston's direction and script were both nominated.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:21:05 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2010, 07:22:58 PM »

Next, I had time to watch an episode of THE CLOSER. This was the one where a man seeks sanctuary in a Catholic church and Brenda does everything she can to snuff the man out since he's the chief suspect in the deaths of two Mexican policemen.

This was also the episode that did away with Brenda's Priority Homicide Division and replaced it with Major Crimes Division.

A very enjoyable episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »

CHUCK was pretty good tonight, too, though there were certainly some hackneyed moments (Shaw and Sarah kissing and Chuck stumbles on them).

Matt H.

« Reply #205 on: March 29, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »

And I concluded my evening with tonight's exciting edition of '24' with time running out before a nuclear reactive device is exploded in NYC. Jack's also fighting against a mole within CTU doing everthing she can to thwart his rescue operation.

FJL

« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2010, 07:28:59 PM »

Ricky Martin lived in Larry's building?   Was this pre-superstardom?

Jane

« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2010, 07:39:02 PM »

We actually have to be there for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday and decided it was silly to drive back and then go again for Sunday, so we're staying in a hotel.  Rob and Mary Linda will join us on Friday and on Saturday we'll visit with our niece, who's a Methodist minister, and her family.

LOL, I have no idea what Maundy Thursday is.  It sounds like you will have a very nice weekend.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: March 29, 2010, 07:44:23 PM »

After we finished (it was slow going, as I had to teach her how to do the various addressing, postage, and claims forms things), I went to Gelson's and got some gefilte fish, a tiny bit of chopped liver, and some egg and onion matzoh.  So, I was sort of Jewish this evening. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: March 29, 2010, 07:45:56 PM »

I asked the four questions:

1. Why on this night are we on page seven rather than page six?
2. Why is it so easy to gain weight and so hard to lose it?
3. Why does the word phlegm exist?
4. Why do all these questions start with why?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up