Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I FEEL A SONG COMING ON  (Read 11382 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: I FEEL A SONG COMING ON
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 07:09:30 AM »

Does this take us to page two?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 07:09:40 AM »

Yes!

Page Two Dance!!!

Ben

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 07:10:09 AM »

It's another hot day in New York City

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 07:10:18 AM »

I like RED GARTERS....especially a couple of the songs.....and Cass Daley....who loses the chicken plucking race to Mrs. Bear Who Fears No Man.....and makes a great face when a horse comes galloping by and slips and falls and slides in front of her.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 07:13:10 AM »

Rosemary and her lopsided bustier sing a great song in RED GARTERS....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uZVbzJOr0A

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 07:14:03 AM »

TOD:

I really do not go out of my way to go to the movies any more. They're noisy, they're expensive, they're inconvenient to get to, and I can enjoy the films a few months later in the comfort of my own home with sterling picture and sound, something not always offered at the cinema (I'll never forget how terrible BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN looked and sounded, and I was at the first screeing of it here. Universal had obviously sent a print that had played somewhere else previously thinking it wouldn't be a big hit, but it was incredibly scratched and marked, and the sound was spotty).

The last film I saw at the theater was last summer when my friend Hal and I went to HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE. We'll likely go to the first part of THE DEATHLY HALLOWS this fall when it premieres since it's a ritual with us. But if we don't, I'll certainly have the Blu-ray of it early in 2011.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 07:16:31 AM »

Title song - how could ya not like!

Don't tell the sheriff
I'm breaking laws.
Cos you'll find the sheriff
Leadin' the applause!!

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uoPelO25Hk

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 07:16:51 AM »

There are some new episodes tonight to look forward to:

BONES, THE MENTALIST, PROJECT RUNWAY, FLASH FORWARD (though I may drop this show before it comes on tonight), SUPERNATURAL.

THE OFFICE/30 ROCK and GREY'S ANATOMY are reruns tonight, so that will save a little time.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 07:17:18 AM »

Sorry, I just think the RED GARTERS songs are all duds.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 07:18:37 AM »

It's the 100th episode of BONES tonight, and the show flashes back to Booth and Bones' first case together (not the case in the pilot which I had heretofore thought was their first case.) Can't wait to see this. Zach is back which should be lots of fun since he and Hodgins had such a amicable bromance.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 07:20:08 AM »

No Hit Paraders for sure, DR MATTH - but they get the job done!  And the singers probably make them sound better than they are.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 07:20:31 AM »

No UPS delivery (I'm still waiting on COCOON). I liked it more when I reviewed it years ago than bk obviously did, but certainly the older generation of actors put the younger generation to shame.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again. I don't even have a DVD copy of the movie. For some reason, I've never bought one even though I did like the movie and found it funny and touching.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 07:21:03 AM »

No Hit Paraders for sure, DR MATTH - but they get the job done!  And the singers probably make them sound better than they are.

I would agree with you there. The cast is just fine and do what they can with the material.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 07:30:40 AM »

Don't have time to get to the movie theater much anymore. In the past year, I think I've seen about five movies and two were work-related ("Julie & Julia," "Food, Inc.").

I really liked "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call, New Orleans" despite its horrible title. The movie is due out on DVD this week, I think. It has a great hallucinatory feel and Nicholas Cage's performance is fearless.

One of the others in that mix was the odd film of "Forever Plaid," which I saw on an opening night simulcast, like the Metropolitan Operas. It was followed by a strange performance of the Plaids with Carol Channing that I hope is included as an extra on the DVD.

That said, I will be going to the theater this weekend. We're finally getting "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." I loved the book and can't wait to see what was done to make it work on the big screen.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 07:33:31 AM »

I interviewed Rosemary Clooney a number of times back in the early 80s when she was beginning a comeback. She would visit her old home state, Kentucky, often and I ended up talking with her about every time she was scheduled to perform. This was before the mass video craze, and I asked her about "Red Garters," which she felt was more fun than good. I think that summed up my response when I finally saw it years later.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 07:35:20 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And, yes, it will be another hot day in the Cookie Jar.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 07:35:34 AM »

I must head down now and get cleaned up for lunch out with friends today.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 07:36:40 AM »

DR Jennifer - Reese's is Hershey's. And vice versa.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 07:40:56 AM »

Somewhat little known factoid about the current production of Anyone Can Whistle at City Center:

A good chunk of the costumes for the ensemble were "recycled" from the recently closed version of Bye, Bye Birdie.  They certainly make a nice "rainbow".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 07:42:34 AM »

And since I have to be down at Union Square at Noon, well...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 07:52:29 AM »

Somewhat little known factoid about the current production of Anyone Can Whistle at City Center:

A good chunk of the costumes for the ensemble were "recycled" from the recently closed version of Bye, Bye Birdie.  They certainly make a nice "rainbow".
For the better, I hope. They certainly were not attractive in "Birdie."
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 07:52:49 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  It's a rainy day here in SW Ohio - wonder if my mom will back out of the shopping trip we have planned for this afternoon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2010, 07:54:09 AM »

Thank you to DRs Laura, DakotaCelt, Jose, George, Elmore, JRand, Jennifer, Ben, and Dan(the Man) for their comments on my announcement of Rob and Mary Linda's engagement.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 08:00:18 AM »

And here is my congrats on Rob and Mary Linda's engagement! All the best to the happy couple!!!

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 08:02:38 AM »

Thanks, DR MBarnum!

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 08:06:06 AM »

I went to the Theatre's website to inquire about tickets for BRAIN FROM PLANET X but could not find any info to see what time the show was or to buy tickets for the 29th.

Georeg, is there a place to find this info? Or do they not list it until it get's closer to when the show opens?

Laura

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2010, 08:33:03 AM »

The last movie I saw was probably "Legally Blonde" which I saw at my sister's a year and a half ago. I don't count the one about the runaway bride, because I fell asleep. I'm not even sure I didn't fall asleep during Legally Blonde.

The last movie I saw in a theater was Aladdin.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2010, 08:37:43 AM »

I watch SHERLOCK HOLMES the other night.  Utterly entertaining and also utter tosh!  Predictable plot (figured out the major twist before there was one).  Does not allow the audience to play detective along with Holmes.  Nor is there anything about the movie that distinguishes it as Sherlock Holmes.  It could have been any Victorian detective and his sidekick solving this mystery.  Rather like Jude Law's Watson more than Downey's Sherlock.  Sherlock is indulgent and self-absorbed, but not in the way Downey (or the script ) made him.  It also falls victim to what too many movies do these days...louder, bigger, and overwrought with CGI and special effects. I think drama is still about people.

Saw MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS.  Found it amusing and laughed a lot.  Enjoyed all the actors.  Story peters out a bit at the end.  Most amazing is the true stuff it's based on.

Best thing I've seen lately is a documentary about playwright John Osborne called JOHN OSBORNE AND THE GIFT OF FRIENDSHIP.  Absolutely mesmerizing!  The more I read by and about Osborne, the more I want to read.  A fascinating artist!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:31 AM »

RE: last night's UGLY BETTY

I am also curious if people would like to see betty end up with daniel.  I don't read spoilers so don't want to know till i watch. But last night they implied that this could be the way they go. I'd have to see it played out. But right now i think it is a terrible idea. They have never shown these two to have any romantic feelings towards each other. And they make the most wonderful best friends.

Actually, they did that "romantic feelings" thing through last night's episode.  Every time Daniel looked at Betty it was as if he were seeing her for the first time.  None of Betty's past boyfriends would make a satisfying ending to me.  I think Daniel WILL be the one...although whether it's for romance or whether it's for a closer professional relationship, I cannot say.  Oh, no! I cannot say.  But...we shall see.  Oh, yes! We shall see!  As for how Betty feels about Daniel, I think that a change in his tone toward her -- one of an ardent suitor, or one of a peer affirming that status with a professional offer -- I believe she would go for it in a heartbeat.  And she would get to stay in NYC with her family and friends.  I cannot see her in London...although that may well be where she ends up.

Loved the possibilities of the gun shot last night.  Just desserts, perhaps????
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:43:38 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

John G.

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 08:43:26 AM »

And add my congratulations to the list, DR Ginny.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up