Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A DAME MAY WHITTY  (Read 10697 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A DAME MAY WHITTY
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2010, 04:08:21 PM »

I think I shall do some work now and then watch a DVD.....before GLEE comes on.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2010, 04:13:35 PM »

Bruce did you confirm you Brain date to Olympia?  I just realized the 10th is Mother's Day.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2010, 04:27:47 PM »

I have only seen a handful, or less, of Pixar movies but at this point I would pick FINDING NEMO as my favorite.

Ohmigod! I actually agree with DR MBarnum on something.
I like Finding Nemo and Shark Tale... Toy Story is not too bad
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »

I find understanding in the strangest places:

Fletcher came over to me, put his paw on my knee and started his "my food bowl is empty" bark (this followed by a circular dance when I got up to check). Unfortunately, we are out of food, and won't have more until I pick up Woody at the store at 6PM. I picked up the empty 30 lb bag and had Fletcher watch as I shoke it over his bowl and gave him "sorry hand motions". He gave me a frustrated look, and then went and flopped down for a nap.

der Brucer

Awwwww!  So cute.

That is cute...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2010, 04:29:33 PM »

Good day one and all

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2010, 04:29:54 PM »

Finishing up last minute things for Cincy...

and at work doing things I need to do before I go...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2010, 04:31:34 PM »

Congrats Elmore...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2010, 04:52:56 PM »

I ended my long association with a local senior center today.  I had been directing their senior choir for years and years, submitting the same pre-agreed upon timesheet every two weeks for close to a decade.  Yesterday they sent me a flurry of emails basically accusing me of ripping them off.  This despite the fact that in a good year I made slightly over $1000 from them--FOR THE WHOLE FRIGGIN' YEAR!  So, I told them goodbye and good luck.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2010, 05:07:11 PM »

Sorry JMK.  Is this someone new that accused you? 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »

There was no question we would not win the award - I was too friendly with Richard Valley, whom those people loathed, for that to ever happen.

BK, I am one of "those people" who vote in the Rondo Awards, but I didn't loathe Richard Valley, or anyone else for that matter.

And the voting is open to the public, anyone that is interested in science fiction and horror movies/tv/entertainment.

I know what the voting is.  I also know that Mr. Valley and his publication were up for Rondos and never won - and the animosity on that board from whence the Rondos sprung is well-documented and well-known.  They have their favorites, and it doesn't really seem to matter who votes or doesn't.

Jennifer

« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2010, 05:07:36 PM »

Not sure how i'll be able to watch LOST, DWTS, IDOL and GLEE tonight.

Can you watch any on-line after the fact?

Oh i can record them all. Since Lost is on here at 7pm, and the other 2 are on at 8pm and then glee at 9:30pm. I just meant i won't have time.

Jennifer

« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »

Not sure how i'll be able to watch LOST, DWTS, IDOL and GLEE tonight.

Then you will have to choose!

Yes i will. I guess it depends if i want to think (Lost) or how tired i get. I am gonna watch DWTS now cause it doesn't take any concentration.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2010, 05:09:01 PM »

Bruce did you confirm you Brain date to Olympia?  I just realized the 10th is Mother's Day.

Yes, I'm coming to see the Friday night performance on May 7th.  I leave Saturday.  If Mother's Day is that Sunday, that's the 9th not the 10th.  Still Friday is way before Sunday, so hopefully you can come up, at least to have some dinner or something.

Jennifer

« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2010, 05:10:19 PM »

I usually am always reading a book. But i have not read anything in around 3 weeks (since i banged my head). AT first my head was sort of hurting and i did not feel like reading. And then i couldn't find anything i wanted to read.

Thankfully i just got 2 books from the library from series i've read. I find those are the easiest ones to get into.

KevinH

« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2010, 05:10:56 PM »

Congratulations, DR elmore!  

KevinH

« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2010, 05:13:34 PM »

Almost finished with my tax return--at least it's not the very last day!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2010, 05:15:19 PM »

Regarding a conversation from a few days before on interpolating new or old songs into scores, here's a piece from Variety:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118017484.html?categoryid=15&cs=1&ref=vertlegit
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2010, 05:18:11 PM »

On the subject of Joanne Woodword:

I didn't quite understand all the praise about her until I saw her on stage in a production of "Ghosts" and I now try to see everything she does. I won't say that all of her performances are gems, but I found her beyond belief in "Mr. and Mrs. Bridge," especially in the concluding scene where she's trapped in a car and somehow in a few glances sums up her whole character. It's one of the best performances I've ever seen.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »

And I, too, wonder where Dame May Whitty is when you need her.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »

Congrats, Elmore.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »

I swear, the reasoning for the Promises' additions makes me want to vomit on the ground.  I'm so sick of these amateurs - Fran's character needed work on her arc?  Do you suppose Neil Simon, Billy Wilder, or Bacharach and David even USED the word arc back when they wrote the show?  No one used that stupid word, but thanks to the "gurus" who blather on about writing and screenplays and now books, that's all we hear - arc, journey - what a load of hooey.  There was nothing wrong with the character in 1968 and there's nothing wrong with her now, and the inclusion of those two songs is beyond stupid and hardly gives Fran more of an arc - it gives her more to sing, certainly, but those songs don't do anything for her character.  This show was a hit, ran 1200 performances, and unfortunately the revival is being done by a creative team who thinks they know better.  They don't. 

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2010, 05:48:07 PM »

Very weird!  About 15 minutes ago, one of our local TV stations broke in with a bulleitin saying that there had been a 6.9 earthquake in China.  Details to follow.  Now I have checked all the online news agenices and I can't find anything about it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »

That would be on a Monday.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2010, 05:56:49 PM »

Yes, I'm coming to see the Friday night performance on May 7th.  I leave Saturday.  If Mother's Day is that Sunday, that's the 9th not the 10th.  Still Friday is way before Sunday, so hopefully you can come up, at least to have some dinner or something.

I know it is the 9th-don't know why I typed it.

Bruce the theater is a seven hours away from us, without stops. I wish it were closer.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2010, 05:58:40 PM »

On the subject of Joanne Woodword:

I didn't quite understand all the praise about her until I saw her on stage in a production of "Ghosts" and I now try to see everything she does. I won't say that all of her performances are gems, but I found her beyond belief in "Mr. and Mrs. Bridge," especially in the concluding scene where she's trapped in a car and somehow in a few glances sums up her whole character. It's one of the best performances I've ever seen.

I've always been a big fan of hers.  Girls would comment on Newman & I would say how talented his wife is.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2010, 05:59:24 PM »

Watching Lord Of The Rings part one and it's a gorgeous transfer and is making me even more annoyed at the armchair experts.  You know how you can tell just how unknowledgeable they are?  They all say that certain sequences in the film look great, but that others look less so - well, what do they think, someone sat in the transfer room and applied some sort of something to certain scenes but not others?  I suspect if they went back and saw these in theaters they'd see just what's on this Blu and Ray.  If there were DNR and edge enhancement it would be apparent and visible in every single shot, but to read these wags, many scenes play perfectly.  And I'm saying, they all play the way they should play.  Waxy faces?  Are they joking?  On the older actors you can see every nook and cranny, on the younger ones you see smooth complexions with makeup on.  There is a lot of CGI in this film and that will sometimes render scenes a little softer than usual - it happens in every film that's loaded with CGI and live action combined.  And some shots are filmed with various filters and those look as they should. 

Jane

« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2010, 05:59:52 PM »

DR Jennifer I'm glad you are beginning to read again, the three weeks must have been frustrating.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2010, 06:00:26 PM »

Well, CNN is now reporting the earthquake.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »

Will DRs MBarnum & JMK be going to see The Brain on the 7th.  That is also DR Danise's birthday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2010, 06:06:10 PM »

I should hope MBarnum and JMK will be there, along with TCB and maybe even the long errant and truant Ann and Jed.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up