Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE QUIZ KIDS  (Read 68273 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE QUIZ KIDS
« on: April 23, 2004, 12:00:33 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've taken the quiz, you've been properly amazed, you've sung along with Mitch, and now it is time to post your most excellent postings.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 12:01:55 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE QUIZ KIDS
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 12:08:26 AM »

I'll take the quiz tomorrow. And I'll talk about the various media tomorrow. I'll Cry Tomorrow. I just want the frist post today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 12:14:06 AM »

What a chicken liver.  What a Wussburger.  Can't take the test tonight, eh?  It only takes five minutes.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 12:17:48 AM »

No, Wussburger is her dog.  

Who probably can't do math.

:o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 12:19:15 AM »

IF YOU HAVEN'T TAKEN THE QUIZ (which means you are reading the posts before the notes, which means bitch-slapping ahead) do NOT read the following post, as it contains spoilers - bk

In all my years of teaching no student ever used "Domincan Republic" as the country. Echidna is often chosen here as the mammal. (strictly speaking it is of course a monotreme - a species of mammal of which the ornithorhynchus is probably better known).
#9 is of course a Beatles reference.
I too shall be back in a few hours with my media check.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 12:23:24 AM by bk »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 12:21:21 AM »

I don't believe anyone would use either of those.  

Laura II

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 12:30:09 AM »

Ah, BK, that quiz is as old as the hills (not that there's anything wrong with that)! I've taken it multiple times over the years, and it never fails. Hmm, I think I know another one...If I can remember it later on today, I'll post it here.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 12:31:48 AM »

I was at some kind of event and the person speaking did the quiz - first time I'd heard it and it bowled me over (no mean feat).  Hopefully it will be new to a few dear readers.

Jed

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 12:32:38 AM »

Ahh yes, a classic quiz.  Thanks for reminding me of that one, BK.

READING PAST HERE ONLY FOR THOSE WHO HAVE TAKEN THE QUIZ
Tomovoz - I've only ever had one person choose D.R. (not Dear Reader) for their country
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 12:32:57 AM »

CD Player:
Archive, an anthology of Jimmy Webb songs, performed by Jimmy Webb.  Eighth track, der Brucer was totally puzzled by this long guitar introduction.  Finally, Webb breaks into "Galveston," and der B. remarks "So THAT'S what he was heading towards!"  Meanwhile, I'd forgotten how good George Martin's arrangement of "The Highwayman" is (track 12).  And it was track 16 ("Feet in the Sunshine") that I was dancing to, which so puzzled Bonnie and Buster.

The Musical of Musicals, the Musical! OCR.  Sorta good.

DVD Player:
The Best of Broadway Musicals, culled from The Ed Sullivan Show.  Most of the numbers are done without sets, just "in one", but Carol Channing has a ball heading out into the audience in the middle of "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend," showing how small that theater really was.  Is.  Was.

Putting It Together, complete with Carol Burnett's blooper.  Which is a gas.

Original Cast Album: Company.  We've had this on laser, but they didn't have the commentary on that disc.  Of course, it works very well without the commentary...

And, just arrived for der Brucer:
Attack of the Puppet People.  Can enough ever be said?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 12:36:31 AM »

Media check...

DVD: empty
VCR: Wednesday night's The West Wing still waiting to be watched
CD: listening to A Chorus Line while I type this
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 12:39:21 AM »

Attack of the Puppet People.  Isn't Susan Gordon in that?  I believe Susan Gordon is in that, isn't she?  Isn't Susan Gordon in that?  I believe that is Susan Gordon's first appearance on film.  Subsequent to that, Susan Gordon appeared in other films.  I've seen Susan Gordon in all her films, but I think I've not seen all of Susan Gordon's TV work.  Yes, I believe Susan Gordon is in Attack of the Puppet People - I believe the film is directed by Susan Gordon's father, Bert I. Gordon.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 12:40:42 AM »

Welcome five GUESTS.  Come plotz with us.

Laura II

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 12:40:52 AM »

Everything is empty but my computer cd player which contains

drumroll please!

Avenue Q!!

I saw it last week and just loved it (well, most of it)! My uncle had made me promise that I wouldn't listen to the cast recording prior to seeing it so I wouldn't spoil the show. I've had it since December, so the wait was long and hard, but the reward is great!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2004, 12:41:53 AM »

By the way (BTW, in Internet lingo), wasn't Susan Gordon in Attack of the Puppet People?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 12:46:20 AM »

Earlier, der Brucer and I were over at Cafe Zeus again, for $3 martinis and $3 appetizers.  DR Jane would have liked the appetizers we had, all vegetarian with a very sizable cheese platter (garnished with fruit and super-slim breadsticks) and a Mediterranean platter (stuffed grape leaves, that sort of thing).  Quite yummers.

Well, we got to talking with Charles, the chef, and the subject of the "reality" series The Restaurant came up.  Charles admits the whole thing is total chaos and unrealistic (for one thing, he told us that anyone opening a restaurant should never expect to run at a profit before two and a half years have past, the investment is that deep), but on the other hand he recognized a lot of the sorts of people in the show.

So I asked if he'd yet seen the FoodTV series Into the Fire, which I find far superior to the Rocco riot.  He hadn't, so we told him a bit about it, particularly how it focuses on the business of running restaurants.  And then I told him that it runs on Friday nights at 9 pm.

And of course, when I got home, I discovered that this week it's being preempted by a special.

Don't you just hate loath when that happens?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 12:48:12 AM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2004, 12:48:57 AM »

I must to sleep.  Keep the home fries burning, you late-night denizens.  This is the place to be for insomniacs.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2004, 12:52:02 AM »

Attack of the Puppet People.  Isn't Susan Gordon in that?
Yep
I believe Susan Gordon is in that, isn't she?  
Yep.
Isn't Susan Gordon in that?
Yep.
I believe that is Susan Gordon's first appearance on film.
Yep.
Subsequent to that, Susan Gordon appeared in other films.
Yep.  
I've seen Susan Gordon in all her films, but I think I've not seen all of Susan Gordon's TV work.  Yes, I believe Susan Gordon is in Attack of the Puppet People - I believe the film is directed by Susan Gordon's father, Bert I. Gordon.  
Yep.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2004, 12:52:55 AM »

By the way (BTW, in Internet lingo), wasn't Susan Gordon in Attack of the Puppet People?
I'll have to check.  Can I get back to you on this?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2004, 03:55:55 AM »

Dear Freidn BK, everyone ahead of me seems rather jaded about your quizz, but I'm so agog over it because I have no idea how the hell it works.  I've always been the Perennial Patsy with mysteries as well.  A book or film comes out that I've enjoyed and someone always says, "I knew it was   . . .  after page 2! or after 10 minutes!" and I think, duh . . .

So, I've never encountered, in my fading memory, this quizz before, and I'm still puzzled.  I'm going to read one of my Nancy Drews now and see if I can figure out the villain by page 2.

Media check:
DVD:  Charlotte Henry's ALICE IN WONDERLAND, courtesy of DR Michael Barnum.
VCR:  HELEN OF TROY (getting ready for the big event; how does that war turn out?)
CD:  strange mix:
  LUCK ALI and some Bollywood, courtesy of DR MBarnum again (oy,what a package I got!)
  TWIGGY:  LONDON PRIDE
  THE PRODIGAL SON (Sir Arthur Sullivan, like Victor Herbert, a terrific composer whose serious music is overlooked)

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2004, 04:20:24 AM »

DVD
The Best of Broadway Musicals, culled from The Ed Sullivan Show
Those Were the Happy Times. (Edited version of STAR!)
Seven Year Itch
There's No Business Like Show Buisness

No music chosen at this time of the morning
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2004, 04:21:02 AM »

As for the quiz is an egret considered a mamel?
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2004, 04:57:32 AM »

Well, Mr. BK, I, for one, loved  the quiz. Made me laugh at 7:45 in the morning.

Your Adams/Strouse takeoff was even better than yesterday's takeoff. Again, I'm laughing at 7:45 in the morning.

Speaking of takeoffs. I wasn't able to attend the annual BCEFA (Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS) Easter Bonnet competition this year but courtesy of Playbill On-Line, you can read a very funny combination of Avenue Q and Fiddler (they combined songs and casts to present their skit) called...wait for it...

Avenue Jew!

Here's the link. Another thing to make me laugh out loud at 7:45 in the morning. I wonder if BK was an influence because one of their numbers was based on Tradition, which was re-done here yesterday.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/85734.html

Ben

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2004, 05:06:45 AM »

At work I will be listening to  Songs I Heard by Harry Connick, Jr. He was interviewed on a BBC show (Russell Davies) and I was taken enough with a clip played on the show to purchase the CD. It's an album of children's songs (I'm a sucker for kid songs) like Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, Oompa Loompa, Merry Old Land of Oz, etc.

Anthony will be out on Long Island again for clown shows (at least he's working) so I will be alone for the weekend. I will be seeing a couple of shows, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. I still need to post about Caroline, or Change. It's taken me a while because I have mixed feelings about it and it's hard to put into coherent words. I also saw Prymate, the new Mark Medoff play. I'll post about it later but let me say that despite Mr. Riedel's (the gossip columnist from the NY Post) attempts to paint it as such, it is not a play about bestiality (he compared it to Albee's The Goat or Who is Sylvia?). It's a play about many things and there is a disturbing scene in the show involving a gorilla, but his attempt to stir controversy with his silly statement makes me respect him even less (if that's possible).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 05:08:02 AM by Ben »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2004, 06:39:56 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE![/move]

BK, though I heard it before that's still a pretty fun quiz.  I've heard others like it and I know that they have something to do with giving the illusion of randomness and abundance of options, but I've never sat down to figure out exactly how they work.  David Copperfield used to something similiar on his TV specials where the viewers at home were presented with a number of items on their screen to pick from and Copperfield was able to magically figure out which one.  I fell for that one everytime.

In a like vein, there's that party game where one person concocts an elaborate story and presents the group with a question that contains the barest of details about the story.  For example, "Man A takes a picture of Man B and sends it to Group C.  Why?"  or "Man A is found dead in the middle of the jungle clutching a straw.  How did he die?"  Each of the players can ask the story-concocter (?) yes/no questions until they arrive at the full story.  It's usually a pretty fun game to play.

The Strouse and Adams Assassins song was another great spoof--love it!  (a Sweeney Todd reference.)

In My DVD Player:  Sweeney Todd
CD Player (home):  Dance a Little Closer -- sounds a little better than I remembered it.  There's a lot of good songs on this recording.
CD Player (work):  Rosemary Clooney -- Show Tunes
VCR:  Last night's NBC line-up -- I wanted to watch The Harvey Girls instead.  This movie grows with me every time I see it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2004, 06:45:36 AM »

CD - BABY which I am seeing Sunday and haven't played in a while

DVD - Sooooo many new releases I am trying to get through

VHS - Have not had a chance to watch "Pigskin Parade" yet

Best news is that we got a new turntable which can plug into the CD burner so I can copy all the things that I know will never make it to CD (several Al Carmines shows, some Julius Monk Revues, etc.)

Monday we are going to a reading of a new musical at Symphony Space.  I don't remember the name or who wrote it, but any show with Allison Frasier, Emily Skinner and Barbara Walsh is definitely worth seeing.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 06:50:15 AM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2004, 06:51:55 AM »

I forgot to mention... the reviews for ASSASSINS have been much better than for the original production.  I will be seeing it in a few weeks, but I hope that reviews like this will help sell tickets.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2004, 07:06:38 AM »

SWW and Der Brucer do please post your thoughts on ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE starring Susan Gordon (and Laurie Mitchell) after you have viewed it!!

Media check:

VHS:
ESCAPE FROM CRIME: a fun Warner Bros. B movie starring Richard Travis and Julie Bishop taped off of TCM.

GHOST ACTRESS: An intriguing ghost movie from Japan taped off of The Independent Film network.

GHOST WORLD: Taped off of the Sundance Channel. Will probably watch this one tonight.

DVD: CORINNA, CORINNA. I just loved this movie. Bought the DVD months ago (for $5.99) and just now got around to watching.

CD: Have been listening to EUROVISION Icelandic pop music that Tomovoz sent to me awhile back.

Back later with my Bollywood movie of the week (I know you DRs can't wait! LOL!)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2004, 07:39:49 AM »

Michael Shayne: No
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up